Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
while I preferred R&G when i finally got around to it, arcadia was somehow the first stoppard that i read (and i've never seen it performed somehow). i remember reading it in high school and being blown away but it's a little bit less rosy this time around.

i remembered bernard as a run-of-the-mill blowhard rather than the lumbering embodiment of most of the things i detest about the academy, for instance.

also stoppard intentionally muddles chaos theory, fractals, and recurrence relationships as being all aspects the same mathematical phenomena and that bugs me just a tad.

these are not criticisms of stoppard necessarily as much as they are criticisms of the joyless pedant i grew up to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

precision posted:

I definitely prefer R&G and in my imagination there's a universe where the film version of that came AFTER he got mega mainstream famous for Shakespeare In Love and it was huge.

Also never forget to remember that Stoppard was brought in to punch up the dialogue for Revenge of the Sith, a fact that slots neatly into the theory I came up with in the mid 90s while watching Star Wars on mushrooms that R2D2 and C3P0 are the Ros and Guil of Star Wars

stoppard is directly to blame for the lion king 1 1/2

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i've got a rear for dialogue

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I think there may be a fair bit of this that works better in a play format because you can't pause and think about it -- it's just quip-quip-quip-quip and the fact that, say, fractals and chaos theory are different things, gets papered over by the movement of the presentation, because you only have so much time to think about any one thing before the next set of things is happening.

although i think the "precocious person invents things before their time" is done better here than in the r&g screenplay where stoppard has rosencrantz discover like newtonian physics and hamburgers during the longer monologues