Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Welcome to Florida, the 22nd largest state in the USA by area, #3 by population, and #1 by amount of insane stories about residents! First inhabited around 14,000 years ago, a number of indigenous tribes had become established by the time Ponce de León landed in 1513, most notably the Calusa, Timucua, and Apalachee (these would later be consolidated several times by both native and European displacement). The Spanish established the fort of St. Augustine in 1565, which is the longest continually-inhabited European settlement in the US. Florida passed through the hands of the English, Spanish again, and was even briefly independent before being formally ceded to the USA in 1821. It went through several size changes up until being admitted as a slave state in 1845 and then again as a free one in 1868 (having barely taken part in the Civil War), but really took off in the 1920’s and again after World War II, becoming the major and important state that it is today.

Florida boasts mainly a tropical climate: hot as balls half the year and pleasant in the winter months, resulting in it being infested with alternating swarms of mosquitoes and northern retirees. There are 3-5 major universities in the state (depending on your definition) and numerous others of various sizes, including four out of the top ten largest US universities by population. It’s economy is based on several industries: tourism, sugar, citrus, cattle, and to a lesser extent aerospace and life sciences.

So enough background, let’s get to the political situation!

GOVERNOR

Rick Scott (R)
Serving since: 2010
Up for re-election: n/a (term limited)
Best known for: Commiting Medicare fraud for a ton of money, being elected Governor twice anyways, causing a shitload of environmental messes in the state, attempting numerous times to kill Harry Potter.

U.S. SENATORS

Bill Nelson (D)
Serving since: 2000 (3 terms)
Up for re-election: 2018
Best known for: Being an astronaut on the Space Shuttle Columbia; kinda just…existing in the Senate? He’s a moderate Democrat who rarely makes waves but generally votes alright.

Marco Rubio (R)
Serving since: 2010 (2 terms)
Up for re-election: 2022
Best known for: Talking tough and then having the spine of a jellyfish, being a Tea Party-inclined conservative, getting hilariously dunked on by Chris Christie in the 2016 Republican primary debate and then going on to lose his home state’s primary election.

U.S. REPRESENTATIVES
Interactive map
Look for FL-26 (Carlos Curbelo-R) and FL-27 (Ileana Ros-Lehtinen-R; retiring) to flip. Both are located in Miami-Dade county. It’s possible FL-25 (Mario Diaz-Balart-R) could flip as well.

FLORIDA LEGISLATURE

Based in the state capitol of Tallahassee, the legislature is currently controlled by the sugar industry Republicans, who have a majority in both chambers.

2018 ELECTION
Major races:
Governor – Ron DeSantis (R) vs. Andrew Gillum (D)
Gillum, the current mayor of Tallahassee, is attempting to take back the executive branch of Florida for the Democrats for the first time since {date}. As Rick Scott has been term-limited out and thus must find new places to siphon taxpayer money from, the Republicans have nominated Ron DeSantis to oppose Gillum. This is a pretty interesting race for the state, as the two candidates were pretty much on opposite ends of their respective party’s primaries – Gillum being roughly the furthest left and DeSantis the furthest right. Gillum’s nomination is especially notable because the FL Democratic Party has traditionally been an incompetent clown show, so nominating someone that people are excited to go out and vote for is a welcome change.

Current polling has Gillum has held a reasonable single-digit lead for some time, although we’ll have to wait for tonight to stop holding our collective breaths.

Senate Class I – Bill Nelson (D), (i) vs. Rick Scott (R)
Currently, 538 has Bill Nelson a ~70% favorite to retain his seat

538’s Florida Redistricting Map

NEWS & RESOURCES

Major state papers:
Florida’s four most notable papers cover the major metropolitan areas (South Florida, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville), with smaller local papers filling in the rest.
Miami Herald
Orlando Sentinel
Tampa Bay Times
The Florida Times-Union

Political parties:
Florida Democratic Party
(local DSA chapters)
Republican Party of Florida
Green Party of Florida
Libertarian Party of Florida
There are some other minor parties as well.

Good Twitter people to follow for Florida news:
Florida (@FL)
Florida Man (@FloridaMan__)
Miami New Times (@MiamiNewTimes)
Tallahassee Democrat (@TDOnline)
(I dunno, someone who actually uses Twitter help me out here)

Suggested Reading:
“The History of Florida”, Michael Gannon (non-fiction)
“River of Grass”, Majory Stoneman Douglas (non-fiction)
“A Land Remembered”, Patrick D. Smith (fiction)
“Paradise Screwed”, Carl Hiiasen (collection of his old newspaper columns)

Not the official state song, but it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Second post reserved, but for now have this for preemptive use
[img] https://i.imgur.com/hCGdBWm.gif [/img]

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The origins of Florida Man might be a good thing to include here: https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/how-floridas-proud-open-government-laws-lead-to-the-shame-of-florida-man-news-stories-7608595

quote:

But missing from Times' take and so many others on the WTF Florida phenom is an important piece of the puzzle. Ironically, one of the things that may be contributing to Florida being shamed so often in the national media is something all Floridians should be proud of.

The terms "progressive" and "model for the rest of the nation" don't often appear in sentences with "Florida," but that's exactly how people view the state's open-records laws, AKA the Government in the Sunshine Act.

Since 1909, Florida has had a proud tradition that all government business is public business and therefore should be available to the public. That means all records, including photos and videos, produced by a public agency are easily accessible with a few narrow and obvious exceptions. Public officials are also required to open all of their meetings — even unofficial ones — to the public.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jesus I got so caught up in people being happy about Amendment 4 and the greyhound racing ban i didn't realize nearly every other terrible amendment passed

- supermajority for tax increases
- ended florida's version of Chevron deference
- mandatory judicial retirement goes from 70 to 75

that middle one is extremely bad because it will let right-wing courts immediately overrule things that state government agencies do that they don't like, and literally every person i know that works in administrative/environmental law opposed it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait that guy is a politician I thought that was a picture of the guy from law and order.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

eke out posted:

jesus I got so caught up in people being happy about Amendment 4 and the greyhound racing ban i didn't realize nearly every other terrible amendment passed

- supermajority for tax increases
- ended florida's version of Chevron deference
- mandatory judicial retirement goes from 70 to 75

that middle one is extremely bad because it will let right-wing courts immediately overrule things that state government agencies do that they don't like, and literally every person i know that works in administrative/environmental law opposed it

Though I'm probably not on the same political spectrum as you, that's one reason I hate our amendment process. It's rare that one doesn't pass, like that solar one in 2016 and Amendment 1 this year. People just don't give a poo poo and "Yeah, that sounds alright". This bundling poo poo needs to stop.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So is there nothing to stop the GOP from just setting taxes to zero since they control both chambers?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Quixotic1 posted:

So is there nothing to stop the GOP from just setting taxes to zero since they control both chambers?

Well they've controlled both chambers for like decades and there's already no state income tax so I'm not sure what change you're expecting.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

xwing posted:

Though I'm probably not on the same political spectrum as you, that's one reason I hate our amendment process. It's rare that one doesn't pass, like that solar one in 2016 and Amendment 1 this year. People just don't give a poo poo and "Yeah, that sounds alright". This bundling poo poo needs to stop.

We need an amendment to dismantle the Constitutional Revision Commission.

https://ballotpedia.org/Florida_Constitution_Revision_Commission

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

eke out posted:

Well they've controlled both chambers for like decades and there's already no state income tax so I'm not sure what change you're expecting.

Lowering of corporate tax rate even further since they can get away with it since it's now easier to lower and incredibly harder to raise it now.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Florida is a hellish swamp ruled by evil old men, confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

doverhog posted:

Florida is a hellish swamp ruled by evil old men, confirm/deny?

Florida is a hellish swamp ruled by golf carts.

• Locked thread