Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Congratulations American goons on turning the tide of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tibalt posted:

It doesn't actually fix the issue with the electoral college, it just changes the states you need to win.

It does reduce the outsized influence of those Vermont bastards though.

I’m talking about say twice the number of seats in the House, massively diluting the effect of electoral votes based on Senate seats.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
We live in a world where you can see the end of Governor Scott Walker and that's beautiful.

Also RIP Trump thread, you had good animal pics.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is there a way of making it so this thread only contains relevant news posts and not like, pages upon pages of digressions about sandwich preferences and pineapple on pizza? I am not a D&D poster, but I enjoy the way you guys all us this thread to post relevant news.. just sometimes it’s 800 posts of nonsense.

I'll still be doing tweet dumps which are a) unignorable because I'm a mod and people got really really irate about not being able to just skip over them which I find hilarious and b) I have time to do them not as canvassing/phonebanking is over and Patel lost by 20+ points.

edit: I'm adding the bookmarklet from the previous thread that only shows pictures/youtubes/tweets in posts.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Potentially game-changing things for 2020:

• Florida Amendment 4 that restores voting rights to 1.4 million people, most of whom are African-American.
  • Michigan’s package of voting reforms is going to boost turnout.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Is there an analysis of the positions of the incoming House Dems? I'm curious if there are more Pelosi-style centrists or if we could be potentially be looking at a Democratic version of the Freedom Caucus.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't forget about your taxes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Asema posted:

The Dems are going to take all the wrong messages from last night and double down and push a wet fart out in 2020 and my national nightmare is going to loving continue.

I wish there was an outside chance that ol' Nancy wouldn't be the speaker but lmao
After what happened here in FL last night I am extremely concerned about 2020. I don’t think my state will vote against Trump unless the economy shits itself in the next 24 months.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkZ5e94QnWk

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mind_Taker posted:

Which states that are currently gerrymandered to a laughable degree in the R direction are likely to be redrawn to a fair (or D-favorable) map in 2020 due to pickups in governorships/state houses last night?

Michigan and Wisconsin would be the big 2

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Solkanar512 posted:

If you think last night wasn’t a win for the Democrats, you have unreasonable expectations. Nothing was going to be fixed over night and you never stop working. Take a break but it’s going to take a long time to make change last.

My biggest issue with last night is how the it appears the lesson learned by Beto, Gillum, and Abrams' loss is that the Dems need to run more centrist candidates. But centrists lost in Indiana, Missouri, and North Dakota yet no talking head breathed a word of that.

Pelosi and Schumer need to learn that the battle lines have been drawn. There are not enough true independents (most have taken a side, but want to pretend they haven't) or Eisenhower Republicans left to make a difference. What drives victory is motivating your base and a centrist "Republican-Lite" is demotivating. Republicans learned this with Gingrich and later the Tea Party, why can't our leadership understand.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hello thread. You might not know me, I'm Al Borland Corp, a limited liability poster. I am from the now defunct Trump thread. I look forward to sharing with you my thoughts, opinions, and insights!

I had a fun time voting in Alabama last night. Every candidate I voted for lost, and every ballot initiative I voted for went the opposite way! Oh man what a silly state.

The Al is short for Alabama, not everyone knows that.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The one thing that confuses me a little is how the Democrats not winning in traditional pure red hellscapes like Texas and Georgia is being treated as some kind of proof of living in the :matters: hellworld by some people. Like, going into this the Senate was a 10:1 longshot for the Dems even accounting for the favorable polling, just because of which seats were up this time around.

The Democrats accomplished what they could plausibly do: massively boost turnout over normal midterm elections, comfortably retake the house, and get a bunch of state/local government wins. The popular vote margin was like +9 or something, which even with all the electoral problems baked into our system means that 2020 is an apocalyptic loss for Trump. Especially since the GOP specifically tanked in a bunch of the narrow win states that let Trump win the electoral college in the first place. Everyone was afraid of an unforced D flub leading to a 2016 replay and that emphaticaly didn't happen.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grouchio posted:

The Blue Dogs are dead, we should instead instate a Cat rule. :colbert:

I support this initiative.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

After what happened here in FL last night I am extremely concerned about 2020. I don’t think my state will vote against Trump unless the economy shits itself in the next 24 months.

Entirely possible given the fat gently caress's tariffs are about to take effect in January.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So I assume there will no longer be a Trump thread and it all goes in here, yes?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
We won! They lost! For gently caress sake, be happy you covoking broke brains.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FlamingLiberal posted:

A bunch of people got their voting rights back, if they break 60/40 in favor of the dems then it's a good thing. Like 40% of african american males couldn't vote in 2016 or last night, by statistics alone that should help out a ton.

I'm upset about Florida and Ohio, but old people are going to continue dying off in Florida in the next two years so

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
:effort: to answer my own question in the midterm thread. Is this a blue wave or is it the result of trump wins in 2016 being reversed?

Flipped R 2016, held 2018:
FL-2
FL-18
NA-2

Flipped D 2016, held D 2018:
FL-7
FL-10
FL-13
IL-10
NV-4
NH-1
NJ-5
VA-4

None of the R pickups in 2016 went back in 2018. This is more accurately viewed as the aftermath from the Obamacare slaughter of 2010, with the early-decade gerrymanders breaking down.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Your Taint posted:

So I assume there will no longer be a Trump thread and it all goes in here, yes?

Turns out a trump mock thread and American gov mock thread are basically the same, I guess

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've got to say, I'm a bit unhappy with the change of format. I'm sure I'm not alone. I'll give it a chance but I have a feeling this thread will be too busy, less enjoyable for the posters, and more work for the mods. I'm not sure who this change is designed to please. But, let's go forward with it and see I guess.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Tibalt posted:

It doesn't actually fix the issue with the electoral college, it just changes the states you need to win.

It does reduce the outsized influence of those Vermont bastards though.

It would help the electoral college to some degree, in that the larger the house is the harder it is to win the presidency while losing the popular vote. It wouldn't fix the first-past-the-post issues.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Push El Burrito posted:

We live in a world where you can see the end of Governor Scott Walker and that's beautiful.

Also RIP Trump thread, you had good animal pics.

https://twitter.com/MaraGay/status/1060137101914750977

if anyone cares to remember, they had previously said "Scott Walker is a National Disgrace" when he was running for president, and "Still a disgrace, but no longer national" when he dropped out

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Thanks 4 making thread worse for absolutely no reason i guess

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Covok posted:

SOME OF US LIVE IN FLORIDA and really don't like being told "Be happy!" after what happened last night.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Hello thread. You might not know me, I'm Al Borland Corp, a limited liability poster. I am from the now defunct Trump thread. I look forward to sharing with you my thoughts, opinions, and insights!

I had a fun time voting in Alabama last night. Every candidate I voted for lost, and every ballot initiative I voted for went the opposite way! Oh man what a silly state.

The Al is short for Alabama, not everyone knows that.

I feel like this is the start of an AA meeting.

"Hi everybody. My name is Old and I'm <deep breath> a D&D'er."
"Hi James."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

SOME OF US LIVE IN FLORIDA and really don't like being told "Be happy!" after what happened last night.

i'm sorry you can't vape indoors anymore

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

WampaLord posted:

Okay, that's fair.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Old James posted:

My biggest issue with last night is how the it appears the lesson learned by Beto, Gillum, and Abrams' loss is that the Dems need to run more centrist candidates. But centrists lost in Indiana, Missouri, and North Dakota yet no talking head breathed a word of that.

Pelosi and Schumer need to learn that the battle lines have been drawn. There are not enough true independents (most have taken a side, but want to pretend they haven't) or Eisenhower Republicans left to make a difference. What drives victory is motivating your base and a centrist "Republican-Lite" is demotivating. Republicans learned this with Gingrich and later the Tea Party, why can't our leadership understand.

because it gets them paid

people have this persistent belief that the democratic leadership is just ignorant when in fact they're doing their jobs, i.e., the thing that gets them paid

when pelosi talks about bipartisanship and returning to the status quo she's talking to her employers, not to you

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

foobardog posted:

The Electoral College takes an amendment, I'm pretty sure, and I think House size is a full Code change, so the Senate has to pass it too.

The electoral college could be nullified by the NPVIC, but how to get every state to pass it and continue to abide by it when it costs them power is left as an exercise for the reader.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Covok posted:

I'm happy that we won. We didn't win as much as I would have liked, nor did we stop as much bleeding as what happened in the senate but a lot of the state houses/senate/supreme court and governor positions were a really nice touch going into 2020

however the biggest thing that I've always hated and the biggest thing that has always bothered me is how much I hate the Democratic party, and every sign so far is that the leadership is going to continue being a wet fart.

I just wish I could vote for an actual progressive party without giving Republican's a victory they don't deserve.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m talking about say twice the number of seats in the House, massively diluting the effect of electoral votes based on Senate seats.
Right, which reduces the outsized effect of small states like Vermont compared to California.

But you can still have a situation where a president loses the popular vote but wins in specific states, resulting in another Trump. It's just the states you have win that change.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Entirely possible given the fat gently caress's tariffs are about to take effect in January.

Out of the 1.5 million reenfranchised people who are majority minority, if you can register 50%, get 60% to turnout (about the state's average numbers), and they break 60/40 dem, that'd be +90,000 votes in an election like yesterday's

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Remember all those smug fucks who told us "Elections have consequences" after Trump got elected? Feel free to throw it back in their faces if they start complaining about one of the 57 simultaneous House investigations.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

WampaLord posted:

Same except switch for Georgia.

I'm also a minority.

It was expected, but it still loving sucks.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I just wanted Ted Cruz to lose so goddamn much.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Covok posted:

Okay, that's fair.

"Why is everyone upset, you had expectations WAY too high!" is some goddamn bullshit after we saw the positive polling numbers for Gillum/Nelson get demolished.

Florida going full chud was NOT expected and I have a right to be loving angry about it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm glad ellison and aoc won and mccaskill and donnelly lost

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The election results weren't nearly good enough to check the march towards fascism to any real degree, and Trump is just going to rule by way of executive orders and stuffing the courts with chuds that will uphold the legality of anything he decides to do. Also Bad Dems in the House are going to collaborate enough with the GOP to put 2020 in serious jeopardy. And anybody who insists that you should just close your eyes to all this and just be happy is a moron of the highest caliber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

Potentially game-changing things for 2020:

[list][*]Florida Amendment 4 that restores voting rights to 1.4 million people, most of whom are African-American.
Not even 24 hours later, and we've convinced ourselves that next time Lucy definitely won't pull the ball away.