Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Old James posted:

My biggest issue with last night is how the it appears the lesson learned by Beto, Gillum, and Abrams' loss is that the Dems need to run more centrist candidates. But centrists lost in Indiana, Missouri, and North Dakota yet no talking head breathed a word of that.

Pelosi and Schumer need to learn that the battle lines have been drawn. There are not enough true independents (most have taken a side, but want to pretend they haven't) or Eisenhower Republicans left to make a difference. What drives victory is motivating your base and a centrist "Republican-Lite" is demotivating. Republicans learned this with Gingrich and later the Tea Party, why can't our leadership understand.

because it gets them paid

people have this persistent belief that the democratic leadership is just ignorant when in fact they're doing their jobs, i.e., the thing that gets them paid

when pelosi talks about bipartisanship and returning to the status quo she's talking to her employers, not to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Thread newbie here, I wanted to chime in to ask -- I've heard some folks bandying about the claim that the Senate will be increasingly hard to take going forward / expressing doubt that the Democrats will be able to retake it ever. I was curious, what's the analysis behind that?

EDIT: Oh my god, the thread moves too fast. The answer to my question was just posted as I wrote this. :blush:

essentially the red states are economically and culturally barren shitholes whose main voting constituency consists of people who resemble screaming trashbags full of curdled ranch dressing, and because they're so deprived and unlivable anyone who wishes for anything better gets the gently caress out as soon as possible, leaving it completely in thrall to the ones who won't or can't

more and more of the nation's population is concentrated in a few very small areas that are endlessly domineered by a handful of braindead hicks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Two years is a damned long time, especially in this administration. A lot can change

for the worse, of course

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

I agree. There's a lot of people in this forum who've been banging the message that it's impossible to convince Republicans to vote Democratic and that elections are all about turning out your side. That may work in the House and for the presidency, but frankly it isn't going to work in the Senate. Democrats are going to have to find a way to convince R voters in these rural states that the Republican party does not have their best interests at heart. It's not easy but there isn't much of a choice.

the uncomfortable truth being that there is no way to convince them and R voters (and americans in general) just want death

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the tea party is over because the tea party is now in control of all the country's major levers of power, most likely indefinitely

the rightward shift they pushed for was completed and then some, of course the organization itself would dissipate

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

friendly 2 da void posted:

I feel like this would have been a way better take if Dave Brat, the actual real-life herald of the Tea Party, the Trumpist OG candidate who ran on Pure Trump Forever, hadn't lost his seat to an explicitly progressive anti-Trump candidate less than 24 hours ago.

"The rightward shift they pushed for was completed" -- a native american lesbian just smashed a republican incumbent in Kansas. She wasn't running to the right of him.

Also, the tea party is not "in control of all the country's major level of power", that's just pure disinformation. Is your commitment to despair so strong that you've contorted yourself into believing that the House of Representatives does not represent a major level of power?

the house is an irrelevant sideshow without the senate

it'll make some fun headlines and make some powerful people mildly uncomfortable before they use their money and influence to make it go away as always, which is really the best i can still hope for so whatever

the right wing has cemented their institutional lock on the american government, successfully decoupling their continued influence from the will of the voters, and the only real consolation is that this country's going to die screaming within our lifetimes just like everywhere else

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah man, the House definitely didn't paralyze Obama's agenda from 2010 onwards, we were all just imagining it.

paralysis means nothing in this case because the country and the world naturally trends towards fascism anyway

you would need the influence to actually create and implement policy in defiance of that trend, which is impossible without senate (let's be honest, also extremely unlikely with the senate because the democratic graybeards are all collaborators, but it's still a distinction)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

40% of black men in Florida were just enfranchised

people keep saying this but they it's not really true, they didn't immediately get their vote back

they need to pay the associated legal fees or whatever first, and even if they can afford it you can bet that the state's going to use the associated bureaucracy to stonewall as many of them as possible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

r guyovich tried it once

inexplicably, he reverted it after a couple days

i informed lightning knight of this well before the current thread, as an interesting historical curiosity

LK was nervously handwringing and groveling to suck zone within two days of being modded, it's tragicomic

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone else still really really pissed at Nate and his wild hosed up Live Model that gave us all direct flashbacks to 2016 except with the additional knowledge that if we didn’t take the House it was Game loving Over for real?

the moment when you started mournfully apologizing to people was one of the highlights of my year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Last time this happened in 2016 I literally went into a suicide ward so thanks a bunch rear end in a top hat.

see you in 2020!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)