Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think the modern Democratic Party is ever going to win back the segregations' votes. (Nor should they.)

It's funny how African Americans reversed polarity to vote for Dems in '32 and '36 despite them being segregationists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Framboise posted:

Oh, it's not the obstruction I'm worried about, I'm loving thrilled dems got a chokehold on the House rather than having the entire government turned into a tyranny of all Republican majority. It's fantastic.

It's the "handing 2020 to Trump on a silver platter" that worries me. The next two years we're going to see the wingnuts get madder and madder and more intense, and it only follows that there's going to be an enormous surge of red votes because of it. I can only hope the morale dems gain from getting this chokehold will inspire the same passion.

Trump has figured out a way to keep his base energized. Nothing Democrats can do to change that. If they obstruct they'll be energized. If they compromise they'll be energized. If the capitulate they'll be energized.

Democrats have to focus on energizing their own base.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

At one point, people were saying that we could expect new investigations into Trump and perhaps GOP corruption if the democrats controlled the house. This now appears to not be the case, although maybe I am confused? Is this still something that is likely planned, or no?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

cheetah7071 posted:

My model is the bronze age collapse here. Lower population, people spending more time surviving and less time making trade goods, a collapse of the governmental systems that kept things safe and encouraged trade, and refugee armies making travel unsafe.

Why the hell are you trying to compare now to the Bronze Age.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's funny how African Americans reversed polarity to vote for Dems in '32 and '36 despite them being segregationists

This is not a very good faith argument considering the average African American wasn't able to vote in the '30s due to Jim Crow.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm confused, are you trying to say that the Dixiecrats were African Americans?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Framboise posted:

Oh, it's not the obstruction I'm worried about, I'm loving thrilled dems got a chokehold on the House rather than having the entire government turned into a tyranny of all Republican majority. It's fantastic.

It's the "handing 2020 to Trump on a silver platter" that worries me. The next two years we're going to see the wingnuts get madder and madder and more intense, and it only follows that there's going to be an enormous surge of red votes because of it. I can only hope the morale dems gain from getting this chokehold will inspire the same passion.

The concept of a riled up Republican base is kind of a myth. Obviously turnout will vary year to year and anomalies like Trump will effect that, but as a voting bloc they are always engaged, they always vote, and they are always angry. Importantly, Republicans already believe we are obstructionist when we control nothing at all. Never let "this might anger the right" influence you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grape posted:

Because they aren't really as different as you'd think and many of the reasons you'd think the global system today couldn't possibly collapse were also present then

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Deified Data posted:

The concept of a riled up Republican base is kind of a myth. Obviously turnout will vary year to year and anomalies like Trump will effect that, but as a voting bloc they are always engaged, they always vote, and they are always angry. Importantly, Republicans already believe we are obstructionist when we control nothing at all. Never let "this might anger the right" influence you.

This. Trump has spent the last two years blaming Democrats for obstructing his legislative agenda when they've had basically zero power to do so. What's going to change?

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

"The FBI supports the law" says a poster who forgot that the FBI engaged in a bunch of illegal surveillance under...you guessed it...Robert Mueller

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/371206-robert-muellers-forgotten-surveillance-crime-spree

edit: LOL check out the post above me for more whitewashing of Mueller's criminality.
Lets also not forget he was part of the cabal that perpetuated the weapons of mass destruction lie to start Bush's illegal war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTDO-kuOGTQ

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone else still really really pissed at Nate and his wild hosed up Live Model that gave us all direct flashbacks to 2016 except with the additional knowledge that if we didn’t take the House it was Game loving Over for real?

Yes. I had my blood pressure taken this afternoon at the doctor and I am convinced that it was slightly elevated because of how loving SKY HIGH it went in that half hour.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zas posted:

At one point, people were saying that we could expect new investigations into Trump and perhaps GOP corruption if the democrats controlled the house. This now appears to not be the case, although maybe I am confused? Is this still something that is likely planned, or no?

it is still very planned and very true

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Which part of "The Civil Rights Act" confused you?

edit: apparently, we've discovered the left's version of "Republicans are the party of Lincoln!"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Conspiratiorist posted:

You hit Miami with a massive hurricane, insurance primes skyrocket between risk assessments from further increased-intensity hurricanes and revised SLR projections, and capital just up and flees the state since it'd happen in the context of an existing global economic crisis. No rebuilding, no effective mitigation measures taken - the money goes where it's safer.

Domino effect as the state's economy tanks and other localities either get hit by weather events or simply infrastructure decays beyond the ability to sustain them.

Expect to start seeing this unfold in the 2030s.

People will continue to live there, of course. The Florida isn't physically going anywhere for a few centuries still, but with no tourism, collapsed agriculture, and its major economic hubs unsustainable due to periodic disaster events, then how do you think the third most populous state in the union will fare?

Bad as that sounds, isn't this just essentially a Sun Belt equivalent to the collapse of Rust Belt states? Is it really so unprecedented?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Zas posted:

No their still planning to do it, Maxine Waters is already planning to subpoena Trump's taxes and Schiff is already planning his gauntlet of subpoenas. Various other ones are getting ready to investigate the VA scandals and Wilbur Ross's poo poo. But Pelosi is saying that they're not planning to make up poo poo for the sake of investigating it and is talking about bipartisanship. And Impeachment is still off the table since it'll probably require almost 20 Senate Republicans to agree to kick him out of office.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lightning Knight posted:

This is not a very good faith argument considering the average African American wasn't able to vote in the '30s due to Jim Crow.

I'm not attempting to argue in bad faith, I'm pointing out that Roosevelt's message resonated everywhere, with everyone. Of course it's not simple.

quote:

Despite the vast research done on the African American influence in the Democratic Party, comparably little has been done on what led them to become part of the Democratic Party in the first place. This study offers an overview of the rich political history of the African American experience from the 15th Amendment’s ratification in 1870 to the 1936 presidential election. My research will reveal how Republican apathy, depression era desperation and Roosevelt’s charismatic message of relief and hope played a vital role to the historical shift of the African American voting bloc from the Republican to the Democratic Party.

https://digitalcommons.salve.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1077&context=pell_theses

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zas posted:

What are you talking about? Who is saying no investigations will happen?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Revelation 2-13 posted:

How many can realistically be swayed to vote though? In my mind Beto was the perfect candidate to do exactly that, unconventional, not establishment, leftist program, charismatic, and while he almost did the impossible, it's certainly not something that's going to get enough seats to abolish the senate, or establishing reeducation camps for racist rural voters or anything drastic, ffs with the lukewarm "win" yesterday, even abolishing ICE or getting statehoods for the territories seems like out of the question.

Beto did sway a bunch of people to vote, the texas downticket loving killed it yesterday. Texas apparently isn't quite there yet even so, but that doesn't mean NONE of these states are, especially when plenty of these states last voted democratic far more recently than texas has.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
It'd be great if there was some way to determine which candidate a majority of voters in a given constituency preferred. Something that could take into account the candidates' platform, messaging, ability to connect with voters, and overall personality.

It probably ought to involve voting too, since the entire premise is that the proper blend of the above will motivate turnout from those who usually abstain. Oh! We need to make sure it happens well before the general election too, and without a GOP candidate involved.

The Glumslinger posted:

we've seen that Dems need a 50 State plan to win and get poo poo done.
A 50 state plan necessitates either objectionable Dems or harnessing the theorized but as yet unrealized nationwide electoral juggernaut that is progressive campaigning.

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think the modern Democratic Party is ever going to win back the segregations' votes. (Nor should they.)
A single tear rolls down Matt Stoller's cheek.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I'm not attempting to argue in bad faith, I'm pointing out that Roosevelt's message resonated everywhere, with everyone. Of course it's not simple.

https://digitalcommons.salve.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1077&context=pell_theses

Fair enough.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tbh it’s hilarious to me that Jeff Sessions is out of Washington completely in just a year and a half

He’d probably win his old seat again if he wanted it tho

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The national vote margin is shaping up to be a lot closer than what the polls were saying, I wonder why. 538s final margin was like D 9.2 and it's sitting around 4.7 right now. There's still a lot of votes to count on the west coast and stuff, I get that, but I don't think it's going to move much over 6, if that. Given that context, the number of seats the Democrats picked up seems to be pretty good.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hes only going to get dumber.

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1060326468339855360

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Oxxidation posted:

the moment when you started mournfully apologizing to people was one of the highlights of my year

Last time this happened in 2016 I literally went into a suicide ward so thanks a bunch rear end in a top hat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Always a fun time to post this:

quote:

Any spelling error by an African-American applicant would be deemed sufficient by the white parish registrars to fail the candidate, but not for white applicants.

Punctuation errors were treated the same: failure for Blacks, but not for whites.

Circling any of the words "Mr." or "Mrs." or "Miss" instead of underlining the correct word would be grounds for failing an African-American applicant, but not for whites.

When it came to interpreting a provision of the US Constitution, Black applicants would be asked to interpret the "full faith and credit" clause of Article IV, section 1 of the US Constitution or the "privileges and immunities" clause. But not for whites, they would be asked to explain the meaning of the "freedom of speech or freedom of religion" provisions of the First Amendment.

Then the test — and how it was graded and administered — got even more insidious. Check out question 21. It says: "Spell backwards, forwards". If a Black person spelled "backwards" but omitted the comma, he/she would be flunked. If a Black person spelled "backwards," he/she would be flunked. If a Black person asked why, he/she would be told either "you forgot the comma," or "you shouldn't have included the comma," or "you should have spelled 'backwards, forwards'". Any plausible response by a white person would be accepted, and so would any implausible response.

The same crazy unfairness was apparent in question 27. It was not a test of literacy at all. Question 27 read: "Write right from the left to the right as you see it spelled here." If a Black person were to print the answer, he/she would be failed because it says "write" so cursive writing was required. Not so for white people. If a Black person were to write "right" he/she would be failed. Why? Because, the registrar would say, you're supposed to write "right from the left to the right". If a Black person were to write "right from the left to the right", he/she would be failed. Why? Because, the registrar would say, you're supposed to write "right from the left to the right as you see it here." But not for white applicants; for them, any answer would be accepted.

https://www.crmvet.org/nars/schwartz.htm#corelittest

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Z. Autobahn posted:

Which part of "The Civil Rights Act" confused you?

edit: apparently, we've discovered the left's version of "Republicans are the party of Lincoln!"

African Americans dumped the political party that freed them from slavery because they weren't responsive to their material needs anymore. If you think poor whites who don't vote, which is the majority of them btw are going to turn on someone that promises to materially help them because they belong to the party that passed the Civil Rights Act 50 years ago...lol. Ok buddy.

Basically I've got a bunch of people telling me that racists will vote their racism before their material interests which is 100% provably not true.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Last time this happened in 2016 I literally went into a suicide ward so thanks a bunch rear end in a top hat.

see you in 2020!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Conspiratiorist posted:

You hit Miami with a massive hurricane, insurance primes skyrocket between risk assessments from further increased-intensity hurricanes and revised SLR projections, and capital just up and flees the state since it'd happen in the context of an existing global economic crisis. No rebuilding, no effective mitigation measures taken - the money goes where it's safer.

Domino effect as the state's economy tanks and other localities either get hit by weather events or simply infrastructure decays beyond the ability to sustain them.

Expect to start seeing this unfold in the 2030s.

People will continue to live there, of course. The Florida isn't physically going anywhere for a few centuries still, but with no tourism, collapsed agriculture, and its major economic hubs unsustainable due to periodic disaster events, then how do you think the third most populous state in the union will fare?

something interesting that no one really thinks about : physical mitigation, like seawalls, desal plants, and even rebuilding out of an expanded floodzone are all classical Keynesian projects

there will be tons of all of the above pretty much regardless (lol at tens of billions in capital just running away instead of protecting their investments with massive lobbying). in fact, politically I can pretty much guarantee every major US metro area is safe for the foreseeable future, including places like Phoenix that really shouldn't be.

like, I don't want to keep arguing this because I don't want to downplay the threat, but you have a massively distorted idea of the consequences and the time scales they can occur on. the threat to human civilization is massive, but also extremely slow and piecemeal. in fact, most of the problem lies in the change being so slow that humans are very bad at understanding it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
So how does...Wednesday Afternoon Whimper stack up against Saturday Night Massacre?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

see you in 2020!

Hey cool, you're an enormous piece of poo poo. :thumbsup:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Framboise posted:

That worries me too. The pundits on MSNBC last night were pointing out that Democrats had a tough path to walk in the next few years: holding Trump accountable while fulfilling their promises to voters on health care and other issues. Too much Benghazi-like investigations and it could look to voters like Democrats were throwing everything at the wall to see what might stick.

I don't know what the answer is, honestly. I'm excited about Schiff, Nadler and Waters taking control of committees, but I hope they pick their battles carefully.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

African Americans dumped the political party that freed them from slavery because they weren't responsive to their material needs anymore. If you think poor whites who don't vote, which is the majority of them btw are going to turn on someone that promises to materially help them because they belong to the party that passed the Civil Rights Act 50 years ago...lol. Ok buddy.

Basically I've got a bunch of people telling me that racists will vote their racism before their material interests which is 100% provably not true.

*Every* party promises to materially help them, but only one party promises they *won't* help black/immigrant/gay people. That's the one poor whites turn out for.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Do some of you honestly think that a poor person being told "hey you deserve healthcare, you can get a guaranteed job, you deserve dignity and not to be squeezed and commodified" is going to reject that message because the person hearing it is racist and the message belongs to the political party that passed the Civil Rights Act?

Because if so...jeeeeeeeeez

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Adar posted:

something interesting that no one really thinks about : physical mitigation, like seawalls, desal plants, and even rebuilding out of an expanded floodzone are all classical Keynesian projects

there will be tons of all of the above pretty much regardless (lol at tens of billions in capital just running away instead of protecting their investments with massive lobbying). in fact, politically I can pretty much guarantee every major US metro area is safe for the foreseeable future, including places like Phoenix that really shouldn't be.

like, I don't want to keep arguing this because I don't want to downplay the threat, but you have a massively distorted idea of the consequences and the time scales they can occur on. the threat to human civilization is massive, but also extremely slow and piecemeal. in fact, most of the problem lies in the change being so slow that humans are very bad at understanding it.

the most immediate problem to the United States will be mass migration from the global south and the resulting inflammation of our already intense white nationalist problem

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That worries me too. The pundits on MSNBC last night were pointing out that Democrats had a tough path to walk in the next few years: holding Trump accountable while fulfilling their promises to voters on health care and other issues. Too much Benghazi-like investigations and it could look to voters like Democrats were throwing everything at the wall to see what might stick.

I don't know what the answer is, honestly. I'm excited about Schiff, Nadler and Waters taking control of committees, but I hope they pick their battles carefully.

I don't understand this argument. Benghazi/emailgate were a huge part of what denied Clinton the White House. Throwing everything at the wall and seeing what might stick worked against a candidate way cleaner than Trump, why wouldn't it work against him?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Grape posted:

Long story, but to summarize the Mediterranean Bronze Age was a tangled interconnected web of alliances, trade routes, and high literacy, with bronze serving a similar role that oil does today. Some trade routes supposedly make it all the way from Egypt to Britain, all before the events of the Illiad.

Then practically overnight- *POOF*. Many regions lose written language, technology takes a hit, and mighty empires crumble. No one knows how this happened! Whole civilizations just loving vanish. The cause proposed here was “Systems Collapse”, the idea that eventually the systems that supported these civilizations collapsed under their own weight after a couple really bad years. This video is annoying squeaky, but it summarizes things better than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HaqpSPVhW8

As for why it matters today, well it looks like Climate Change might throw us a couple equally bad years even if we started trying to fix poo poo yesterday.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The demographics in 2020 will be oh so slightly more favored for Dems compared to this year and 2 years ago and considering by how slimly Trump won by that alone might be enough.

It’s going to be up to the candidate we put up though. So please no Liz Warren, I love her and believe she’d do a great job but she’s as inspiring as a sack of doorknobs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

the gently caress is thi-

oh good, probated

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Do some of you honestly think that a poor person being told "hey you deserve healthcare, you can get a guaranteed job, you deserve dignity and not to be squeezed and commodified" is going to reject that message because the person saying it is racist and the message belongs to the political party that passed the Civil Rights Act?

Because if so...jeeeeeeeeez

The point is that the Republicans ARE saying that too. Trump went state to state saying Democrats were going to steal their healthcare, and he has gone hugely out of his way to promise jobs. EVERY candidate promises those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TARDISman posted:

Yeah, a bit, but honestly not as much as I am at MSNBC for putting Carville on. That man is only ever a depressing piece of poo poo.

I actually appreciated Carville because I cursed at him, scolded the people in the room with me for agreeing with him, and made the active situation to stand up and do other poo poo with one eye on things instead of getting sucked into the panic and obsession and losing my mind.

James Carville being an rear end in a top hat broke me out of mentally unhealthy habits.