Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
excited to read 100 thinkpieces about how beto is a failure because he didn't manage to win a senate election in texas even though the last texas senate election ended in a 16 point gap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WampaLord posted:

"Why is everyone upset, you had expectations WAY too high!" is some goddamn bullshit after we saw the positive polling numbers for Gillum/Nelson get demolished.

Florida going full chud was NOT expected and I have a right to be loving angry about it.

yes, similarly i'm already tired of people talking about how texas democrats failed when there's now more dems in the state lege than there have been for decades and a bunch of other things

i'm sorry the magical senate man didn't win for you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

But Pelosi didn't immediately smear her forehead in lambs' blood and start raving incoherently about vengeance, therefore Dems Bad you see

Yes. That is correct.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

skylined! posted:

Does anyone have any more insight into why GA Gov hasn’t been called? Abrams thinks there’s a line to a runoff but there would need to be about 33k more absentee/provisional votes for either her or the libertarian chin with kemp gaining zero to drop him under 50%.

they might be hoping for some kind of injunction since there's a lawsuit over the handling of the election

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Harik posted:

They need to check the senate. Republicans won long-term there with +3, making a lot easier for them to hold in 2020 despite having to defend 22 seats. They also managed to keep Florida for the 2020 gerrymander which is a lot of house seats for the next decade. More than NY this upcoming census. Every vacant judiciary seat is going to federalist-annointed ghouls which will skew the lower courts for at least as long as SCOTUS. On the bright side we can basically ignore Chuck loving Schumer for the indefinite future, as he has absolutely nothing to do that's not making bad press releases.

Battles, wars, etc. When people are upset they have good reason to be: most of what was won tonight was in the 2-year terms that can flip back just as easy if dems poo poo their pants in 2020.

Ironically since Texas has judicial elections we've now got a bunch of liberal judges in places there weren't before.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

It will really effectively be 55-45 for the 2020 election. Doug Jones is not keeping his seat.

Someone should primary that guy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Hmm, all these black women overperformed in their elections, you know who should run? The white guy who lost

If you compare to the last Texas Senate election he went up literally 15% lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Martian posted:

Yeah, why would you assume that Trump will get more popular? He might very well lose a lot of support and his brain degradation may become (even more) obvious.

Nothing is certain

Worst case: Trump dies right before election; president pence with his calm, horse loving hands steers the ship to apocalypse

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

eke out posted:

i mean he is now a national name that lefties all over are sad about losing. he's in a great position for veep

Yeah, and also him as Veep might help downticket turnout again in 2020 here in Texas. That'd be awesome.

My hope is that we get more Killer D's and then you don't have to worry about gerrymandering for 2020 at least (not happening but you know its a dream)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Drone posted:

So can a Democratic House do anything meaningful to protect the Mueller investigation or is that something that only the Senate could do?

That's one of the few things they can do

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lol please tell me more about how O'Rourke getting a bunch of Dem and DSA people elected statewide and going +14 from the last Texas Senate election means leftism is a lost cause

Oh it's because people are shortsighted idiots who think only the federal government ever matters

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Framboise posted:

Help me understand something, as someone who is largely clueless about politics.

Just how much impact does the vast red majority in the Senate actually have? Legislation needs to pass through the House before it goes to the Senate, correct? So with a pronounced democrat majority in the House, they can obstruct legislation in Congress just as badly as republicans did during Obama's terms, correct?

How much does that majority matter if legislation is much less likely to even make it to them to begin with?

Trump will just legislate through executive orders like Obama used to and the Senate is who confirms all judges. Supreme Justice Ivanka here we come

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Harik posted:

Florida recount: the loser gets it it for free if the tally is within 0.5%. If that ends up within 0.25% it goes to a hand recount because that's somehow "better" and more reliable.

Since Nelson has indicated he will request the recount, and the first recount is via machine, does that change the governor's race as well or is it limited to the race being recounted?

I live here and I don't actually know how that works.

Just that race that went to a recount

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh hey it's my district

All hail Lloyd Doggett, representative eternal of i-35

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

mcmagic posted:

You can't just assume that all the factors that make this race closer this time: the Democratic hatred of Trump and base activation paired with a great candidate at the top of the ticket like Beto. 4% might just be the Dem ceiling.

Texas hates Cruz a hell of a lot more than they hate Trump

Even the Texas GOP machine hates Ted Cruz because he keeps ruining poo poo for them to grandstand. Also I think you maybe underestimate the difference between "let's vote out this fucker" and a presidential election where people generally feel their votes mean nothing

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nonsense posted:

AP withdrew their Hurd-Jones call from last night, so Jones hopefully unconcedes

The sec of state count has Hurd up 500, I checked

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Incidentally that single district covers 1/4 of Texas because it had to contain both the El Pass democratic suburbs and the San Antonio ones for maximum gerrymandering.

Also if you get bored look up the areas around Houston as they are utterly hosed. Iirc there's a single street which is used to combine two completely separate areas into a district lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I actually think that, in some ways, more than hatred of Cruz the perception he's so hated was helpful in driving up turnout. People who never bothered to vote before did in part because it seemed like maybe it'd actually work this time. In that case Trump in 2020 might help-- the Texas Dems can say look, we were SO CLOSE, please vote we can do it this time!!! and not seem like lying assholes.

There do genuinely seem to have been like 600k staunch republicans who broke just to vote against Cruz though so we can't underestimate that either

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Trump is a shook bitch wow

It's funny because there's very easy spins he could put on this that wouldn't even be lies. He could say that he wasn't up this time and the GOP failed him (probably true in some places), that the Senate is more red than it's been in decades (literally true) and that they're going to destroy Roe V Wade (100% certainty)

But he's floundering which I can only assume means he legitimately believed the Democratic polls were all lies

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If Texas State Senator Dragonball and his colleagues are willing to do a Killer D then they will be the greatest politicians Texas has had since 2003

essentially, the texas constitution mandates that you can't hold a vote if there's not enough state senators or house members. the texas dems stopped a new redistricting law back in 2003 by going to new mexico to hide. not enough senators? can't pass a law. it's like a filibuster except it can't be broken.

It's only ever happened three times in history and since 2003 there haven't been enough for that to actually happen, but now there are. if they got moxy then the sky's the limit on obstructionism

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 7, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sydin posted:

It was an good night for Dems beyond the House. They flipped a healthy number of state legislatures and governorships, which is huge because it means they can start to un-gerrymander in more states. Pennsylvania is a model of what that will look like: after the courts threw out the awful Republican map and forced them to draw a more neutral one, Dems swept into power there this election. The state pickups are huge and arguably in many ways more important than the House gains, particularly in the Midwest. Florida also just laid the groundwork for 40% of their African American population to be re-enfranchised as well. Basically the states that gave Trump his narrow path to victory in 2016 are bucking the trend (except Ohio I guess, and gently caress them).

Be happy, things went well.

people forget the lesson the gop knows: the real power really is in the states, because if you have them long enough then you can't lose anywhere else

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Framboise posted:

I don't think Biden or Hillary would be a good option for President when they're already divisive enough as they are.

I'm 100% cool with a Beto for pres ticket though.

I don't know about president Beto actually getting approved by anyone outside of Texas... but goddamn VP Beto would be incredible

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I can't see him even trying to turn a Senate loss into a presidential nomination, but I think he'd be an excellent VP pick. He's been awesome at supporting downticket candidates, organizing, and delivering a strong message, which are all things a good VP can do to have a big impact.

Mostly I want someone who can help us win more local elections. Please don't abandon us again Democratic campaign people

(narrator voice: they will)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cant wait for the castro/castro ticket and its inevitable loss

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Toobly posted:

You have to admire him for his honesty, he has said in the past that he never regrets anything he does.

Please don't admire him.

corection: you do not, in any way, have to "hand it to him,"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Not enough Amy Klobachar president talk. She won by 20 points in a purple state. Massively popular even in Trumpist areas.

Klobuchar/Beto 2020

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the speaker of the house, everybody!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have two questions for the thread:

1) Trump is very much shook right now, correct?

2) How on earth did the Senate majority grow?

all the blue dogs lost because they are cowards

except joe manchin because he is a cockroach

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

pookel posted:

I don't know all her policy positions. I do know that representation matters. I trust a disabled candidate not to gently caress over disabled people (as the Republicans keep trying to do with health care, and recently did with the ADA). I trust a female candidate to understand which issues matter to women. I trust someone who gave birth while serving in the Senate to have reasonable opinions on family leave policies.

She also hid her phone in her prosthetic to sneak it into Chris Murphy's gun control sit-in so they could livestream from the floor, which is hilarious.

Well, I mean, have you seen Texas's Governor?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

theCalamity posted:

What if Beto stayed in Texas and organized for Medicare For All or other issues that could benefit Texas instead of trying to focus on electoral politics? Just a thought.

That'd be cool. Alternatively he could just keep that machine going, keep doing advocacy stuff, and then run against Cornyn again in 2020. He'd lose but it might do some good locally nonetheless and everyone knows who he is now which is literally never the case with these dumbass Sen candidates

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

This is a thing, thanks to Beto

https://twitter.com/yesica/status/1060218537321660417?s=19

This could have real long term positive consequences. For those that don't know, the Texas board of education, being one of the biggest customers of textbooks, wields incredible power over what leaving materials students all across the country end up with. And whether they learn things like, the real reason the South seceded was actually slavery instead of "states rights"

It would have long term consequences but actually the board is 10R-5D and that guy is dumb

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Actually, now is the time to push for popular policies that people want so they will have a reason to come out and vote, we tried "better ideas will never ever happen" already and I have bad news for you about how that fared against Trump last time.

"I'm a capitalist" --failed democratic candidate hillary clinton

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

I hadn't heard about the school board win until last page and yeah, that is a very good thing. There were some outward racist rear end Rs in there before.

that guy was wrong and the school board remains in republican control. the dems won 4 out of 7 seats available for election but there's 15 overall so :shrug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Matt Rinaldi lost and I hope he gets beat up on the way home

https://www.texasobserver.org/say-adios-to-matt-rinaldi-the-texas-lawmaker-who-called-ice-to-report-latino-protesters/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I bet this is part of why Trump is so mad. They probably begged him not to oust Sessions before the midterm because it would cost them House seats. And hell, it may have helped them win those close races, especially Gillum, but no doubt not as much as he wanted or maybe as much as they promised. So he didn't get what he wanted twice over!

But he doesn't want to outright say that, so he's flustered

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DandyLion posted:

Yeah I'm having a tough time figuring out the angle where him resigning after the mid-terms gains them anything.....

they maybe felt resigning before might affect turnout for the reason that it 100% would

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Where does resigned "at your request" fit in

it's a resignation. hed only be fired if he said no and trump kicked him out anyway

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spaced God posted:

So Trump did this to replace sessions with someone to end Mueller's investigation before the new house is sworn in, right?

Yes.

Hell, the House could appoint him special prosecutor, giving the DOJ a reason to take him off the case... and then fire him. What do they care they're leaving anyway

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SousaphoneColossus posted:

am I wrong that gillum winning handily in the polls and then underperforming bill nelson (!) is some bradley effect poo poo

nelson was also not part of an fbi corruption investigation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004