Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Fourth'd. I'm not yet a union member but I do work through a union local (IATSE #7, for those curious) and would be interested in more discussion on the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If this really flipped then Dems have gained 40 in the House in these elections.

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1067242618227224577

Edit: Also this:

https://twitter.com/LATSeema/status/1067249251917463552

Alex Villanueva...why does that name sound familiar? Is he good?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Washington just passed a pretty cool family and medical leave bill. Functions sort of like social security except it pays off when you have a sick family member or new baby instead of when you're old. 0.2% of your pay (split between you and your employer) goes in and then the program pays you 90% of your normal salary when you take time off.

Way to go, Washington! Here’s hoping Colorado’s newly all-blue state government does the same - they’ve made it clear that’s one of their biggest priorities.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ego-bot posted:

Matt Bevin reminding everyone what happens when you elect Republicans.
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1075156385661358082

Those are good numbers, but I will be god damned if I allow myself even a shred of hope, even after the midterms.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I can't believe I voted for Richardson, especially after his gubernatorial run, but his opponent seemed awful. And you know what? Richardson would have been a terrible governor but I have no complaints about his SoS tenure. I suspect a Republican replacement won't be nearly as competent.

Y'know, I felt the same way about our last SoS in Colorado, Wayne Williams. Didn't really know much about his politics or whatnot but I've never had anything close to an issue with voting in this state. I still voted for the Democrat last year (who went on to win :woop:) because gently caress Republicans on principle, but I probably wouldn't have been concerned at all if Williams had won re-election.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Colorado's done aight under Hickenlooper (though I question how much of that is actually because of him) but noooooooo fuckin' way do I want him anywhere near a spot in the federal government.

BillyC posted:

Williams was on board with Trumps bullshit election fraud board thing and was super on board for voter id here. Its very good he's gone.

Wlep, didn't know this, gently caress Williams and good riddance

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

What's Colorado's bench look like without Hick?

Nobody super high-profile that I can think of; two of the three announced Dems gunning for Gardner's spot are fantastic but have no name recognition outside of people super plugged into local politics, and the third announced candidate - Mike Johnston - has name recognition from his run for CO-GOV last year but isn't quite as steller as the other two (though still better, imo, than your standard DNC blue dog type).

I guess Diana DeGette might be able to mount a credible run for Senate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Congrats to VA for joining the “newly-blue state government” club! If my experience with Polis and our newly-blue state legislature is anything to go by, you’ll be pleasantly surprised over the next year and more :)

With that being said, gently caress the stupid loving stingy-rear end voters in this state for shooting down Prop CC. It wasn’t even a full TABOR repeal, just the part where the state has to refund excess revenue to residents (it usually amounts to like $20 or so per person lmao) and people wouldn’t even sacrifice that

Though Denver did vote overwhelmingly to create a city-level Department of Transportation with emphasis on multi-modal transport :toot: so that’s giving my carless self some hope

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

I was talking to a friend about this - apparently she's afraid the mail will lose her ballot and she really likes the solidarity of dropping off her ballot with friends on voting day?

I like getting my ballot in a few days ahead of time because I want to be in that first counted batch.

I’m not afraid of the mail losing my ballot but I do find the feeling of dropping it in a ballot box to be oddly rewarding, plus there’s one at a train station along my commute to work so I can just hop off, drop it off, and catch the next train

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

For those that didn't already know, Denver's mayor is a loving jackass

After warnings to avoid travel, Denver Mayor Hancock flies to visit family for Thanksgiving

His defense was that he thought it was "safer for me to travel to see [his wife and daughter] then to have two family members travel back to Denver", because apparently everybody just staying put and having a Zoom get-together for Thanksgiving, like so many of us are doing at his urging, was just out of the question!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

So these were real mailers?

https://mobile.twitter.com/waltshaub/status/1455716232007757825

I wanted to share this here but I seriously couldn't tell if this tweet is fake

Oh my loving god

Were they trying to toss the race???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

You’re right I’m confused. It was current events where a poster saw a dumb mailer and seriously concluded that the democrats wanted to lose.

No, I don't seriously think they were actually trying to lose, more that it just seriously loving looks like something they'd put out if they were trying to lose