Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

friendbot2000 posted:

Aight goons! Who is ready to get into the loving trenches with me and continue the fight?

Just a reminder that school board and city council elections are just as important as congressional! This election I made the mistake of not researching as much as I could about Alexandria City Council. That will not happen again. I was super pissed at myself going out of the voting booth this year...

IN-2 reporting. After Hall and Donnelly got a trouncing on their bland messages we definitely need a new voice in our state. Still wanting to talk with anyone in Michigan that is involved with their progressive Caucus as well because our party needs a unified voice for a progressive causes. It’s long overdue

I also plan on rerunning for offices that are available to me. Just have to see what is coming up. I know how to run now and what is required so that’s half the battle and I got some decent field work in as a canvasser so that helped as well. Let’s see where things go.

Local elections are this year and we are looking to see what Mayor Pete does. He dipped his toe into the national scene when he ran for DNC head and if he chooses not to run for office in South Bend, that’s a sign he’s looking to national or higher state aspirations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of kemp have we had any news on that?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Quorum posted:

Honestly this thread doesn't move very fast when there's not a major election happening, and I'd say hyperlocal politics are just as relevant here as senate and state leg stuff. If you've got any references or resources that would be useful to people getting their boots on the ground, I can add them to the OP, too.

I did an effort posts in the last thread iteration about getting on the ballot for local elections in Indiana but I can’t seem to track it down. Was it archived?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I am a member of the local young Dems group and i’m precinct chair for the Democrats in my polling area. If you have any Indiana questions about running for office let me know I have a good idea on the process since I ran last year for township advisory board.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Saint Joe County Indiana Goons (I know a few of you are here) if you want to get involved on the local level with the Democrats and are under 35 years of age, there is a young Dem meeting downtown tomorrow at 6 at the Dem Headquarters. Joining is 25 bucks if you are interested.

Also primaries for local elections will be coming soon! Will be posting steps on how to get on the Indiana ballot when I have some time later this week.

Edit: it’s 6 not 7 sorry folks

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 15, 2019

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
One of our mayoral candidates is trying to turn hard water into an issue equivalent to Flint (anyone in Indiana can tell you that the fix is a water softener) and one of them has been in the news for trying to steal cars...

Thankfully we have serious contenders but what the hell folks

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

Can anyone explain what’s going on with this poll tax thing in Florida?

My understanding is very dumbed down, but after the reenfranchisement of felons happened in Florida, the GOP made it (or are making it) so that in order to vote all legal and court fees have to be paid.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Governor Holcomb decides ethics are not a big deal

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hasn’t stopped them in the past. Driving through huge farm parts of the state especially heading north to South Bend I still we anti wind farm signs and I’m starting to see a lot of directed ads online from Pruitt’s group.

With the elections coming up its only going to get nastier

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If I remember correctly the state senate of Michigan which is GOP controlled is now loving around with their budget proposal in retaliation to weaken as many dem controlled areas of government as possible including reallocating SOS funds for other purposes. Gonna get nasty.

As for Indiana and it’s inroads for green energy most of the fight and education is to be done on the farm and in rural areas. Most of the nastiness I’ve seen have come from counties north and south of Indy just outside of the circle. Wind farms especially seem to be getting it tough around here and I’ve seen massive campaigns against them south from me.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Voting Tomorrow in Indiana starts at 6 and ends at 6. find your polling place and sample ballot here

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
St Joe county had really disappointing turn out for participation in the primary. I think people are election fatigued... to be honest I don’t blame them but still...

My buddy running for the common council of South Bend didn’t make the cut in a crowded field, echoing what I went through last year. It’s a shame but he did really well organizing for a first timer, better then me anyways. Need to talk with him about next year and see if he plans to run again for something else

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Eddie Melton is possibly throwing their hat into the ring for IN governor. Anyone from the Gary area know more about his voting record?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
South Bends City Clerk is stepping down to work for our school corp and the Democratic Precinct chairs get to choose a replacement via caucus. My friend threw his hat in the ring and I get to participate in the vote

Sometime next week I will post about the experiences in this. This will be my first time in a caucus and I’m super excited to share this with everyone who might be interested in what duties a precinct chair must do. I’m also here as a resource for getting on the Indiana Ballot for next year’s elections. If you are even remotely interested this is the time to start planning things out.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Alrighty folks I promised an update on what a Indiana Precinct chair’s duties are and this is an opportunity right here. Let me effort post a little and explain one of our duties.

I ran for two positions in 2018 in local politics. One was not successful (3 positions available for my townships advisory board, I was 4th out of 6 candidates in total votes) the other was to become a Precinct Chair for the Democratic side of my district. I don’t know if anyone ran actually against me but I did end up winning that election one way or another. So thanks to the goons who helped me get motivated in this thread!

A Precinct Chair is a party position that’s supposed to be considered a pillar of the community (A face of the party in your neighborhood) and someone who can help inform people of when elections are, whose on the ballot, and be a guiding voice for those who have questions. They are also expected to knock doors for candidates and be active during election time as all hands on deck.

On the most part that is what you do. It’s not glamorous and it’s only as fulfilling as what you put into it. The last precinct chair of my district did absolutely nothing. Not even sure if they filed for reelection they were so lazy. Their loss is our districts gain I guess :shrug:

Outside of that there are some party business that can also come up from time to time. That’s where we are today. The city clerk of South Bend, Kareemah Fowler, accepted a position with our city’s school corporation and in turn vacated her position. By Indiana law the party officials must select a replacement until the next election. So after she declared that she was resigning, the bureaucratic gears started to turn and notices were mailed. When we arrived we signed in and were seated with the district we represent and were given the following rules (not exactly what was written on the list, I condensed in places)

Rules of the Caucus
1. The Caucus is open to the public to attend
2. The Caucus Chair will be led by the County Chairmen of the Democratic Party
3. Letters must be sent by first class mail to eligible Precinct officials.
4. Precinct chairs only may vote
5. Vice chairs (if available and approved by the chair) can act as a proxy if conditions are met
6. Once a quorum is established for the vote and voting begins no late comers will be accepted into the caucus
7. VOTING MEMBERS ONCE SIGNED IN MAY NOT LEAVE
8. Candidates must meet legal requirements to hold office
9. Candidates can file for the caucus vote no later then 72 hours prior to votes
10. Parliamentarian will oversee the counting and voting processes
11. Vote watching is open to the public and encouraged for transparency.
12. Winning candidate must get a majority of the votes to be declared a winner.
13. if no candidate wins the majority, the candidate who received the least amount of votes will be removed and new ballots will be cast.
14. State law specifies that the chair will break any ties that occur in the caucus

The chair starts with a role call to confirm that everyone who signed in is still in the building and to make sure that present members remembered to actually sign in (a few hosed up) once roll call has been made and the voting body is locked, the candidates are given a final 3 minutes to plead their case to the Chair’s in a last ditch effort to persuade. Side note one of the older people name dropped Reagan and that immediately turned me off from ever voting for them. :barf: can you guess their age?

The total that came was 65 chairs so 33 votes are needed for majority. Districts are called in numerical order and role is made for each ballot. In the event of a tie, the chair ruled a coin flip to determine the victor. Precinct chairs that are on the ballot can also vote in this election apparently which is shock to me because not everyone on the ballot is a precinct chair so that right off the bat causes a handicap. Nonetheless this back and forth went for a bit and below is the breakdown per ballot (9 candidates on the ballot to start)
Election results of who dropped by Ballot
1st round drop- Mary Jenkins
2nd round drop- Stephanie Ball
3rd round drops- John Voorde and Jason Banicki-Critchlow (I didn’t hear the full of what went down here but I think they both dropped after seeing the results of that run)
4th round drop- Pat Shelton
5th round drop- Bianca Tirado
6th round drop- Jill LaFountain
7th round drop- Lisa Plencher

South Bend’s new city clerk- Dawn Jones

Shortly after the ballots were finally tabulated, she was sworn in immediately and after an exhausting and close caucus the deed is done!

If anyone in Indiana sees this and is interested in being a Chair, please drop me a line here or in my inbox. Elections are around the corner and now is the time for planning!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Loucks posted:

Speaking of Indiana, let’s see how the Dem candidates for IN-5 are shaping up.

https://twitter.com/votethornton/status/1160003903813038081

Oh. poo poo. :negative:

That’s ummmm quite a take there. :stonk:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Loucks posted:

Yeah. I yelled at her for it, but she's a comfortable Carmelite to whom undocumented immigrants aren't real. I still have a yard sign for her from last time due to poo poo options, but I'll be damned if I'll donate or vote for any more trash Dems. Voting for Donnelly was bad enough.

Her opponent, Hale, hasn't posted anything of substance except "Let's do something about guns!" but she has made it a point to ensure we know that she is a problem solver, a willing collaborator with Republicans, and a "dog mom!"

I'm exasperated enough to have fantasies of running for office just to ensure that someone in the race has good positions. Too bad it's non-Indianpolis central IN, where good positions are illegal.

edit: I even have the OK from my spouse, with budgetary proof that it would be sustainable, but I don't think they really grasp the exposure that accompanies a run for public office.

If you want to do it you should start to think about it right this second. There are forms you will want to get notarized and filed with county clerk and election board and I can pull those for you when the General this year is over since they could be obsolete by the time that elections over.

They must be submitted 90 days before a primary and you will also want to preclear your districts eligibility with the voter office because sometimes people have challenged candidacy based on that.

It also doesn’t hurt to talk to Hamilton county’s (I am assuming you reside their due to name dropping Carmel) Democratic Headquarters. Even if you chose not to run for House, there are plenty of local positions that could use fresh blood and progressive voices.

Please keep me In the loop. I would love to help if I can.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

It's almost like all the good democrat statesmen moved out of Indiana.

We are here, we are just drowned out in gerrymandered districts atm.

Indiana has gone blue before and it will again. Start locally and build out. That’s all we can do

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t remember if I posted this before but if you are in Indiana and you select the straight ticket option on the ballot, don’t forget to still select candidates that have multiple selections (such as pick up to three for city council). Straight ticket voting does not give any votes to those candidates and they have to be selected on their own.

Take the time please, down ballot candidates will thank you

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently my voting place was telling people they can vote online...

Excuse me while I call some election officials holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Elkhart went Blue and elected its first African American Mayor. I am actually shocked at this and happy for our neighbors to the east.