Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1103479418247368704?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

axeil posted:

also because there was no clear better person to take over and if all 3 resigned the GOP would get control of the state despite losing the governor's election by 9 points.

had that coin flipped the other way back in December of 2017 things might've been different though as the House speaker wouldn't have been a Republican.

Boo loving hoo, the Democrats shouldn't support a rapist and two people who did literal blackface

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It's sounding like the Castro brother not running for President is going to run for the Senate seat in Texas. Don't ask me to remember who is who.

The nice thing about this is that Beto can gently caress off entirely.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ego-bot posted:

It's sounding like the Castro brother not running for President is going to run for the Senate seat in Texas. Don't ask me to remember who is who.

The nice thing about this is that Beto can gently caress off entirely.

Joaquin. Could be good.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Finally, someone in Missouri gets serious about guns.

Missouri lawmaker introduces bill mandating gun ownership.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Friendbot, I'd love to hear more about how things are going with your land use work.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwY29bfVVOY

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Can anyone explain what’s going on with this poll tax thing in Florida?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

Can anyone explain what’s going on with this poll tax thing in Florida?

My understanding is very dumbed down, but after the reenfranchisement of felons happened in Florida, the GOP made it (or are making it) so that in order to vote all legal and court fees have to be paid.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

My understanding is very dumbed down, but after the reenfranchisement of felons happened in Florida, the GOP made it (or are making it) so that in order to vote all legal and court fees have to be paid.

Clearly... exactly what the people of Florida wanted.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Friendbot, I'd love to hear more about how things are going with your land use work.

UGH! Yes. I am so sorry Discendo, I got your messages on Discord but between moving, sticking shivs between Marc Erlich's ribs, Establishing a Climate Mobilization Chapter, making a website for a Rockville City Council candidate, and campaigning for Lee Carter I have been so busy.

So as for Montgomery County:
- Right now, Solaris2.0 and I are trying to take over the planning board by getting the Chair reappointed (he is term-limited and is super friendly to YIMBY development for transit and density), basically he needs to have an avalanche of letters of support to the county council to get appointed. It is an uphill battle, but one I think we can win. The County Executive Marc Erlich is a Conservative in Disguise who dressed up regressive policies in progressive language and tricked leftists into voting for him and he HATES Casey Anderson and he is pushing for Natali Fani-Gonzalez behind the scenes. Natali is a stooge for Erlich and is using a diversity argument to be appointed as chair, normally I am all for diversity, but her intended policies and rubberstamping of Erlich's bullshit would hurt minority communities and make housing worse in MoCo. She also ran for Casey's seat when she...didn't have to make it so he couldn't just go back on the council as an extra stab to the kidneys so I don't trust her. Basically, if any goons are a MoCo resident, please hit me up for a form letter to send in because in order for this coup to work we need Casey and the newest challenger Brandy Brooks (get to this in a minute) to keep Erlich's chosen pawn Amanda Farber off the board. Amanda is the leader of rich white suburbanites in Bethesda that buy fallout shelters in New Zealand any time a person darker than a paper bag is on the wrong side of the counter at Whole Foods. She is peak NIMBY, regressive policy, hates densification/transit, and has Erlich's favor. She must be kept off the board at all costs.
- Brandy Brooks! Brandy is a lovely lefty lady who is super progressive and needs to be on this board! She narrowly lost a bid for...I think it was County Council a while ago and is an amazing human in general. She would do great things for Montgomery County on the planning board. We are in the midst of a housing crisis in the DMV area and housing desperately needs to be densified to prevent the expansion of the sprawl and to prevent highways from being widened in leui of transit. Rich people in Bethesda do not want this because that means they would have to see the Poors in their daily routine. Since the planning board is appointed by the county council letters of support from Brandy Brooks also need to flood in to keep Amanda Farber out and lefties in.
- I have been building relationships with reporters like Alex Baca from GGWASH/City Lab to stick shivs in Erlich's back and erode his lefty base by exposing his craven face under the mask. The key point of weakness for Erlich is turning the DSA against him and there has been movement on that front. The trouble is that he sold them a bill of goods on how development leads to gentrification, which while it can, it doesn't have to be that way if you do it right. Really though, he is continuing the legacy of redlining and racism, which is getting traction as I have been disseminating it through contacts I have made in the MD DSA, the Sierra Club, and other groups. So they are slowly turning against him on housing and it feels GREAT to stick shivs in this toad, lemme tell ya.

I have made some movement by getting stuff like this written:
https://commonwealthmoco.com/2019/0...5C4nWEPqx4yzu48
And hopefully, my people in City Lab can help stick some shivs in the back of regressive land use policy too. It all comes down to the planning board because right now there is a proposal to lift restrictions on ADUs which would help increase housing. It is a small step, but an important one to our broader goals. Local politics is cutthroat and you have to be willing to always play with live ammo, it is also a lot of fun because it moves much faster than higher levels. You can destroy people with articles or information disseminated through action groups. It is also where you see a huge progressive groundswell. The payoff of getting involved is real and good.

IF ANY GOONS KNOW ANY LOCAL REPORTERS OR PEOPLE THAT CAN PUT PRESSURE ON MARC ERLICH PLZ LET ME KNOW!

As for the meeting, I attended a while back:
The biggest achievement from this meeting was getting support for connecting the VRE to the MARC train and working on setting a date for a forum on the topic of VRE expansion. Like, a rail line from Richmond to DC to Baltimore would be a gamechanger in moving commuters because soooooo many people commute from Stafford (and further) to Northern VA. Some minor achievements were discussing how to design shoreline hardening systems for the city of Alexandria similar to those that Boston is implementing on their harbor.
https://www.boston.gov/news/transformative-plan-create-resilient-open-boston-harbor-unveiled

There was a lot of positive talk about this because designed systems of parkland that act as flood zones are more cost-effective than a straight up seawall. It also would help increase walkable spaces which helps Alexandria's local economy. So that was a pretty big get on my part too. Alexandria has a huge problem with flooding and it is only going to get works with climate change. It has been an exhausting couple of months, but I am seeing results which is nice.

OH! And my bat boxes idea in lieu of pesticide usage got some traction too. When someone said, "what about rabies?!?!?!!?" I actually was a responsible person and wasn't sarcastic about their dumbness. The urge to slap them was definitely there though. We already have a large bat population in Alexandria, why not make it work for us? Plus, if we are losing 2.5 percent of insect mass annually we need to stop using pesticides or we will be pollinating things by hand.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 22, 2019

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

friendbot2000 posted:

The biggest achievement from this meeting was getting support for connecting the VRE to the MARC train and working on setting a date for a forum on the topic of VRE expansion. Like, a rail line from Richmond to DC to Baltimore would be a gamechanger in moving commuters because soooooo many people commute from Stafford (and further) to Northern VA.

This would be amazing; it's ridiculous that VRE and MARC operate as completely separate services with zero crosstalk. I know people who commute from NoVA to Maryland and that sort of commuting pattern just doesn't compute for any of the existing commuter services. We're lucky enough to live in one of the few regions of the country where it'd be a relatively simple matter to go hard into rail, but the jurisdictional splintering makes it all a headache. Here in Richmond we've been talking about the DC2RVA high speed rail project for what feels like an eternity, and progress has been extremely spotty. They just announced the completion of a bypass around Acca Yard which will make transit times between our suburban and urban core stations faster, but the rail configuration still forces slow speeds between the two, so we won't gain but so much time. Plus, there's a high chance of getting stuck on the tracks because there's only one through-rail between Staples Mill and the peninsula line, and that's a busy route for the cargo trains that get right-of-way. :aaaaa:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
someone's running to speak with aoc's manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuWG8_XW8Y

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

someone's running to speak with aoc's manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuWG8_XW8Y

I didn't know Bronx and Queens were in North Carolina. Pretty shocking.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

friendbot2000 posted:

I got a candidate for Rockville MD city council that wants to start some civilian oversight boards for the police dept as a plank of his platform. I recall there being talk of NC doing something like that and other cities too. Does anyone have any data on hand about how effective they are? Or any good policy wonk leads I can hunt down?

I don't have anything specific to offer, but look into Seattle's OPA and their struggles with the SPD. They're very outspoken and Seattle is currently under a DoJ consent decree regarding use of force. I think they are generally regarded as good by activists but limited in what they can do and they're not shy about bitching about it.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

A Primer on Friendbot's Political Scalp List:

Amanda Farber: Amanda is the epitome of a rich white liberal who doesn't mind social justice as long as brown people stay on their side of the counter at Starbucks. She said and I QUOTE "It is my right to live in 1.4 million dollar home and not have those property values decrease by development". Also, she believes that not seeing the sun in an urban area is terrible and we must save the trees in neighborhoods. While I also like trees, more trees die from the expansion of the sprawl and with densified development, we can turn parking lots into green walkable spaces with you guessed it TREES! She basically kills things in the traditional Rich White NIMBY fashion of "death by a thousand quibbles".

https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesda-magazine/july-august-2018/the-accidental-activist/

The trouble with MoCo is that EVERYONE is liberal or a lefty of some kind so ousting someone isn't as easy as say fighting a true conservative regressive. Normally it involves fighting insanely rich people like Amanda who are racist but don't believe they are racist because they don't use the n-word or wear blackface. Basically, it comes down to NIMBY vs YIMBY and the rich white people in Bethesda want everyone to stay in their lane and let them keep the status quo. They do this by dressing regressive anti-development policies that perpetuate redlining as "preventing gentrification" or "preserving neighborhoods" when really they just want the poor and PoC to stay in their place and not touch the idyllic Bethesda neighborhoods that they have the audacity to call "urban". BITCH YOUR 1.4 MILLION DOLLAR MANSION IS NOT URBAN GTFO OUT HERE!

Marc Erlich: This guy campaigned as a progressive but his housing and transit policies are based in the 80s and he is a regressive dressed in progressive clothing. This tricked the DSA into throwing in with him because he was against "gentrification", and gentrification is bad and it so good to fight it. But that is not what Elrich is really fighting against, he is fighting against affordable housing and expanded transit options. He wants everything to be like it was 30 years ago and it just isn't possible because more and more people are moving to the county every month. Housing and transit(NO, NOT CARS) need to accommodate them.

This is a good writeup of why Erlich is wrong on housing that I posted earlier
https://commonwealthmoco.com/2019/0...5C4nWEPqx4yzu48

I think Erlich means well, he is just wrong. He does seem sincere about wanting to help the more vulnerable populations of Montgomery County, but he is reticent to enact meaningful policies to do it and generally has a lack of ambitious vision. He thinks that tried and true methods will work, when what they really do it just increase the size of the sprawl and the cost of living for the area. The DMV should be as build up as NYC is because of the SHEER number of people we have living here. The trouble is that because there is no housing the sprawl just makes people less and less dense and then it throws mass transit under the bus because in order for mass transit to be super effective you need density. It is just so frustrating sometimes.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 22, 2019

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
So... this passed the GA Senate yesterday:

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1107696994158592002

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
friendbot, could you go over what their positions are? In MD, the vast majority of zoning policy authority is allocated to appointed county-level entities specifically to avoid abuse by elected officials. What makes these scalps your priority?

I've also been in touch with my planning contact from the area and they're perplexed about the utility of connecting VRE and MARC, since they're orthogonal feeder systems.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 24, 2019

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

friendbot, could you go over what their positions are? In MD, the vast majority of zoning policy authority is allocated to appointed county-level entities specifically to avoid abuse by elected officials. What makes these scalps your priority?

I’ll try to make an effort post later but in regards to Amanda she has a lot of outsized influence on the planning board.

Here’s a fluff piece about her in Bethesda mag where she wants to keep browns out protect trees by preventing more housing.

https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesda-magazine/july-august-2018/the-accidental-activist/

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I've also been in touch with my planning contact from the area and they're perplexed about the utility of connecting VRE and MARC, since they're orthogonal feeder systems.

Solaris is the better person for their positions, I am just the triggerman using people I know to deliver knives to the backs that need them. I live in VA so I am still getting the lay of the land for MoCo politics. I will continue bugging the poo poo out of him until he effort posts

As for the benefit of the trains I can speak to the utility of connecting the two systems and making them through-running trains instead of orthogonal feeder systems. A lot of commuters go from VA to DC to places in Maryland along the MARC and vice versa. Connecting them in a reliable manner would take people off the roads at a time when traffic is just getting worse, it would also make a more reliable regional rail transit network to help everyone get where they need to go. The DMV is such an interconnected economy that we desperately need a REAL long distance regional commuter rail system so people can get around better. Like, I know people that commute to MD all the way from frigging Fredericksburg. The transition to a through-running network would move people from Baltimore to DC to Northern VA much more efficiently and as an added bonus consolidate the already limited tracks in Union Station. There are a lot of challenges to this, but in my opinion, it is worth undertaking for a more modern commuter rail system. So the argument is to make them less of a feeder system and more of a regional rail network that moves commuters.

GGWash has some good analysis on the challenges this effort would have:
https://ggwash.org/view/28520/through-running-isnt-so-easy-for-marc-and-vre-part-1
https://ggwash.org/view/28690/through-running-isnt-so-easy-for-marc-and-vre-part-2

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Governor Holcomb decides ethics are not a big deal

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Indiana is a shithole, you see. It wasn't enough that the shittiest governor ever left the job to gently caress horses in DC, Hoosiers had to elect another businessman to replace him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/NickOchsnerWBTV/status/1113105777114468353

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Does this have anything to do with the NC-9th nightmare?

E: No it does not. I'm dumb.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

It would be :kiss: if this had anything to do with the donations they got when that local office got firebombed

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Special election season has started

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1113245726010638336

https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/1113242150949539840

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
There's also a statewide race in Wisconsin for a supreme court seat. If Dems win this it will make the court 4-3 for Republicans, with an opportunity to win control next year. Polls close at 9est.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Get hosed Rahm

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

There's also a statewide race in Wisconsin for a supreme court seat. If Dems win this it will make the court 4-3 for Republicans, with an opportunity to win control next year. Polls close at 9est.

Looks like the Dems narrowly lost :smith:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Does this have anything to do with the NC-9th nightmare?

E: No it does not. I'm dumb.

nope but it does involve a sitting congressman

https://twitter.com/JoeBrunoWSOC9/status/1113164968340393985?s=19

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

X-posting from USPOL, Please help my man Lee!

friendbot2000 posted:

I realize I haven't shilled for Lee Carter recently, read this thread:
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1118000050070786048

If yall have any spare change to throw this mans way, please do it so my state can become less of a racist hellhole. Lee is pro-labor, pro-environment, pro-transit, and is not taking a dime from corps so he relies on people like us to give him what we can. He is the real loving deal goons and he is being primaried from the right because the Dem Establishment doesn't like that he refuses to bend the knee. His primary opponent is being funded by Republicans for gently caress's sake, and half of them gave money to Corey Stewart. If Lee loses odds are VA Dems will lose this seat and a voice for the progressive cause.

Christ, in VA teachers are not even allowed to strike so they get paid 9% LESS than the national average. That is 9% less than the pittance we already pay them....

An added bonus:

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1116504809350291457

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I would make an awful candidate because I would totally take anyone's money and then shrug and not give a poo poo policy-wise

like if you don't listen to their drat lobbyists the money doesn't do a thing

but Lee owns so everyone help him

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would make an awful candidate because I would totally take anyone's money and then shrug and not give a poo poo policy-wise

like if you don't listen to their drat lobbyists the money doesn't do a thing

but Lee owns so everyone help him

https://twitter.com/bluevirginia/status/1118177859783266304

Carter is coming out swingin at his Republican Primary Opponent. Wolfe is not a Democrat. He is a goddamn Republican and the party is loving letting him do it because they don't like Lee advocating for the poor and unions.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He's like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1118153080607006720

He'd probably win this time....

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
I don't think so. Him getting the nomination is probably the only realistic chance Doug Jones has of keeping the seat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Arkhams Razor posted:

I don't think so. Him getting the nomination is probably the only realistic chance Doug Jones has of keeping the seat.

It is probably the best case scenario for Jones, but even then, I think Moore would have the edge in that race. Moore's child molestation only made him lose by 2 points in 2017, and that was largely because of Republicans staying home in that race. In 2020, him being a sexmonster will be old news and he'll be boosted by being downballot from Trump.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pakled posted:

It is probably the best case scenario for Jones, but even then, I think Moore would have the edge in that race. Moore's child molestation only made him lose by 2 points in 2017, and that was largely because of Republicans staying home in that race. In 2020, him being a sexmonster will be old news and he'll be boosted by being downballot from Trump.

I'm pretty sure this point has been debated already, but I seem to recall that Republican turnout didn't diminish--Democratic turnout just skyrocketed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm pretty sure this point has been debated already, but I seem to recall that Republican turnout didn't diminish--Democratic turnout just skyrocketed.

It was both. The narrative centered entirely around increased Dem turnout - which was huge, especially from black women - but it took both sides to win in Alabama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Draft Jeff Sessions to run a third-party campaign.