Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So how the hell did Nelson get more votes than Gillum? I expected Gillum to get more than Nelson cause he was the more "exciting" candidate and Rick Scott is a big name in the state. I can imagine someone voting Gillum/Scott on a misguided "political outsiders are good" ideology but what kind of person votes Nelson/DeSantis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If I had to pick only one, I'd rather Gillum won than Nelson. Yeah, that one vote in the Senate is looking to be extremely important, but Florida is on the front lines of the climate change fight and it's so vital to have a governor who will do something about it. Plus the governor elected this year will be presiding over the next round of redistricting and voting in the 2020 election so if we had Gillum, we'd be able to prevent the worst of any poo poo Republicans will undoubtedly try.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't know what Montana Dems are doing right, but other red state Democratic parties should be doing whatever they're doing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ohio I can understand Dems making a strategic retreat from. But Iowa? Dems just won three out of four House districts there, and as time goes on, Trump's stupid trade war is just going to hurt them more and more. Long-term it might be difficult to hold on there for demographic reasons, but in 2020 I think it's very much in play.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

silence_kit posted:

Can you show me where? 'American HDI' seems to have a totally different range of values, so if you tried to compare HDI with 'American HDI' the numbers would be very different. E.g. Mississippi has an 'American HDI' of 3.8, but also has an HDI of 0.866.

I'm not from Mississippi. I just find it amusing that according to this figure of merit, a place that many American Liberals desperately wish that America was more like has almost the same rating as Mississippi, a place that American Liberals can't talk about without sneering. I'm also pretty annoyed by your classism.

I'm pretty sure no American liberal is saying we should be more like Poland, specifically.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ague Proof posted:

He has a much higher chance of getting re-elected than he had of getting elected.

https://twitter.com/davidbailey0708/status/1063033247339294720

It's been over a year and there are still people who will go to bat for a pedophile who lost.

Incumbency is a big advantage but it's not as big of an advantage as your opponent being a child molester.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NaanViolence posted:

Twitter is annoying and bad and this thread would be much better if quotes were posted instead of links to tweets. As is, it's barely readable. That's a shame because this thread has some good info and discussion otherwise.

Do twitter links not display as the full tweet in your browser?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In Arizona, the parties had their state conventions to elect new leaders.

The AZ GOP picked Kelli "Chemtrail" Ward.

This'll be fun.

Putting her in a relatively behind-the-scenes position where she can't run for office is probably a net positive for the Arizona GOP.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Chilichimp posted:

There's part of me that wants to buy his story about it not being him. And that would kind of track since... no one found this until now?

But also... I'm WAY more apt to believe that people are just stupid and literally no one doing oppo research bothered to check his loving year books. He needs to resign.

The timing of this and the abortion bill was clearly coordinated, though, so someone's been sitting on this waiting for a moment to pounce.

In his press conference just now he claimed that he wasn't in the picture and he had no knowledge of it or why it's on his yearbook page, but he admitted to doing blackface himself on another occasion, when he was dressing up as Michael Jackson, so

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

volts5000 posted:

BREAKING! In non-election stealing NC news, state judge overturns voter ID and income tax cap constitutional amendments.

https://twitter.com/newsobserver/status/1099079612435492864?s=21

IANAL but this seems like too radical a ruling to survive appeal.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

It would be :kiss: if this had anything to do with the donations they got when that local office got firebombed

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Arkhams Razor posted:

I don't think so. Him getting the nomination is probably the only realistic chance Doug Jones has of keeping the seat.

It is probably the best case scenario for Jones, but even then, I think Moore would have the edge in that race. Moore's child molestation only made him lose by 2 points in 2017, and that was largely because of Republicans staying home in that race. In 2020, him being a sexmonster will be old news and he'll be boosted by being downballot from Trump.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If oppressed people openly wish death upon their oppressors then I don't hold that against them, but I will hold elected officials to a higher standard than that. I'd vote for that guy against any Republican but I'd strongly prefer a progressive whose rhetoric is not so violent.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Wasn’t Bullock thinking fo running for POTUS in ‘16? What happened.

I don't think he was considering in '16, but he did run in '20. Never got above 1% in the polls, never got much media attention, pulled out before Iowa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grouchio posted:

How's Minneapolis doing two weeks after disbanding it's police?

They haven't disbanded it yet. There's no concrete plan to do so yet, just a promise from a veto-proof supermajority of the city council. It's probably going to take a couple years.