Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Same but in Maryland - didn't do my due process on the school boards, but luckily we're generally a progressive county/state.

Speaking of MD, Hogan won (by a large margin) but that wasn't a surprise. He's avoided being seen as close to Trump and has promised to continue working with a legislator, which tbf he doesn't have a choice as the Dems have a lock on the state house.

More locally, Marc Elrich won county executive in Moco which is good! He has some...backwards ideas regarding development and is seen as a bit too friendly to NIMBYs but overall he was a better candidate than Floreen or (lol) Ficker.

All in all it wasn't the night that we hoped for, but Dems still took the house and just as importantly, we took some state legislators and governors mansions back.

My suggestion to everyone? Take a break for the holidays, see family, friends, do hobbies. RELAX. Do anything BUT worry about politics. We've earned it, and your health/sanity need the break. However come January when the new congress gets sworn in, it will be time for all of us get back in the trenches and focus on 2020!

This is a good take, and as someone who used to live in MoCo (and likely will in the next few years), I'm glad it went in that direction.

The Dems also flipped an Arlington County board seat against an "independent" (he was basically republican lite), and a women who was running as "keeping the name of Washington-Lee High School" as her main campaign promise was crushed as well.

We did good last night. It wasn't the best case outcome we all wanted, but some solid loving gains were made. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

axeil posted:

I met Matt de Fernatti at the Starbucks on Monday morning when it was pouring out. I told him I voted for him in the primary and although I moved out of the county I was really pulling for him to win. We talked for a bit about where I work, how long I lived in the county, our chances in the House, etc.

Maybe now Arlington will finally get the Georgetown-Rosslyn gondola! :v:

Yeah I voted for Choun in the primary, but I wasn't torn up that de Fernatti won as he was a solid candidate to begin with. What irked me about Vihstadt the most is that by reading his campaign plank, he was clearly a Republican lite candidate that went with the independent label so he could avoid having that millstone on his neck. Then you have the "million dollar bus stop!" bullshit which was a bit disingenuous.

I mean, I'm all for oversight and not wasting taxpayer money, but the guy acting like he was the only one who could prevent that from happening was incredibly :jerkbag:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The "independent" who lost re-election for Arlington County Board Seat to a Dem is :qq:ing about people voting straight ticket and being ignorant of local politics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.2d2f467b8408

quote:

As Arlington County Board member John Vihstadt worked the polling places on Election Day, he had an inkling that this was not the same electorate that swept him into office four years ago and voted for him again just months later.

“So many voters would say things to me like, ‘Who are you?’ ‘What are you running for?’ One thought I was on the school board. Another even thought I was the local congressman,” Vihstadt said Wednesday.

In the end, after months of campaigning and four-and-a-half years of governing, Vihstadt’s immediate political future drowned in a blue wave that swept through his deeply Democratic community.

Vihstadt, a political independent who for years was active in Republican circles, lost to Democrat and first-time candidate Matt de Ferranti (D) by about 7,000 votes, according to unofficial returns, a margin of about 7 percent. Their race was just about the only competitive one on the ballot.

“I think this was a microcosm of the crosscurrents that are sweeping this nation,” Vihstadt said. “It was blue, straight-ticket partisan voting that was deliberately calculated to ignore local issues and candidates.”

lol, get hosed buddy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

axeil posted:

Vihstadt sucks poo poo and is the reason we don't have a streetcar or any mass transit whatsoever on Columbia Pike except a crappy bus line so he can gently caress off.

Voted against him in 2014, not that it did any good and I'm glad Matt beat him.
Yeah that was my main rationale when I explained to people why I thought voting for him was dumb. He basically sat on the board to vote against projects he didn't like, and he never had any solid plans or solutions of his own. He was just a ""stop spending my money" shitter. gently caress'em.

I made the mistake of commenting on the article, and now some guy's trying to concern troll me with "Well Matt says he's going to end childhood hunger in Arlington, if he doesn't, what are you gonna do about it?" :fuckoff:.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

A machine recount wouldn't do much, but a hand recount would allow Dem lawyers to contest any votes that were omitted or thrown out for whatever reason.

You've also got the whole issue of Broward county missing a bunch of votes as well as some teacher finding a box of provisional ballots that were just left behind in her classroom after election day.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Seth Moulton is trash and the people who elected him are the most Panera Bread human garbage on Earth. loving North Shore.

Good to hear that he's getting his rear end kicked though.

I would not be shocked if he gets primaried incredibly hard over this poo poo. People are pisssssed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

oh dang welp so much for his chances at being re-elected governor of virginia

:lol:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if he steps down we get Fairfax and it's gonna be lit

If this happens, would Fairfax be eligible to run again in 2021 or would he technically be term limited?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

What the gently caress was the infanticide poo poo about anyways? I know it's abortion related but was Northam pushing a new law or something?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I get that, but what specifically mad them go after Northam?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Abel Wingnut posted:

is herring bad?

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1093187326476541952

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Endorph posted:

fairfax's accusation is up in the air, so we'll ignore that

I have bad news...

https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1093189392196427777

It's a bad look no matter how that pans out.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I saw the denial. Honestly I can see it being bullshit and I can see it being true (if I were in Fairfax's shoes and I felt I was wrongfully accused, I'd probably say some stupid poo poo in private as well that wouldn't look good if people heard about it).

Either way, it's a huge poo poo sandwich.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Threw 27 bucks at Lee. Hopefully he is handedly re-elected in November.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Parisa Dehghani-Tafti defeated Theo Stamos and Lee Carter won his primary. Today was a good day.

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/06/11/developing-primary-polls-close-early-election-results-show-tight-race-for-prosecutor/

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

axeil posted:

Theo Stamos is the cop-endorsed DA who jailed a kid for saying "oink oink" to a cop. Probably the best result of the night.

The comments whining about Soros dropping 500K into the race and that the left is going to let crime run rampant is giving me so much schadenfreude right now.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I moved out of Virginia so I don't get to vote for the first time in three years :(

but I did kick some money over to Lee Carter and bugged my friends and family to make sure they voted today.

Gonna be :f5: tonight for sure!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

No, shut up brain. It's too early for hope!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I will say I did get to vote in the primaries before moving and I'm glad that I was able to vote for Parisa Dehghani-Tafti.

She ran unopposed after the primary, so baring any ratfucking, I'm glad she won the primary :unsmith:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

:getin:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Mind_Taker posted:

Any word on results in Lee Carter’s district?

He's up right now (52%) with 41% reporting. Still too early to call but it's not looking bad right now. EFB

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Well KY's secretary of state called it so Bevin's full of poo poo.
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1191912680451391494

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Harold Fjord posted:

no one's provided anything showing that that is happening related to this stunt just stuff about him being mean to be people on Twitter which was actually people being mean to him on Twitter.

Alright, after finally catching up on this thread after being busy over the last few days, I'm real tired of this days old argument and watching it just go in circles. Friendbot (among other posters) have a backed up history (in this thread even) that that they have worked in VA local politics for years at this point. This isn't new information if you've been posting in this thread or others like it. They didn't just drop into the thread to randomly poo poo on Lee Carter a couple of days ago, they have the posting history to prove that they are indeed connected to VA politics. So I'm willing to take their word for it all things considered. If you're not, that's your right and fair enough, but your arguments against their personal experiences isn't really going anywhere at this point and they've offered up more than enough to explain themselves and their belief that Carter has hosed up.

Unless you have something new to offer up, drop the argument now because I am getting real tired of seeing the same "This is what my personal experiences of working in VA politics has been like, and one of those experiences is that Lee Carter has hosed things up for himself and others" followed by the award winning rebuttal of "Prove it :smug:" rinse repeat.

So again, unless you have something new to offer, Drop it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Harold Fjord posted:

I asked for literally any sources for literally anything. Sorry if that was unreasonable. no one has any so I guess I'll drop it because clearly they don't have local newspapers in VA.

If you read the whole thread I expect there will be forthcoming action on the continuous posting about posters and psychoanalyzing their reasons for not just trusting that one guy's opinion is also fact.

I read the whole thread, hence the post.

Seriously, drop it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Neurolimal posted:

So what happens if someone else anonymously states that they worked on Carter's campaign and he's actually very savvy and cool and the other anonymous poster is a sore butthead that was fired for improper behavior

Is there a posting hierarchy

Handsome Ralph posted:

Friendbot (among other posters) have a backed up history (in this thread even) that that they have worked in VA local politics for years at this point. This isn't new information if you've been posting in this thread or others like it. They didn't just drop into the thread to randomly poo poo on Lee Carter a couple of days ago, they have the posting history to prove that they are indeed connected to VA politics.

Drop it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Ego-bot posted:

Excited to hear how this is all Lee Carter's fault.

Hey maybe don't do this?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It maybe doesn’t sound as sexy as the rest of them but ending suspension of drivers licenses for some offenses is loving huge. That’s such an albatross around the neck of working class people.

Wow, Yeah that really is a huge deal. It cannot be overstated just how much license suspensions are used to gently caress over the working poor for trivial traffic offenses.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/1379583202168279040?s=21

Fuckin' Y I K E S

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Ballz posted:

Turnout is fine for what this is.

https://twitter.com/larrysabato/status/1402413237056983042?s=21

Looking like Ayala will beat Rasoul as well. Herring will probably win but his race looks to be the closest of the three.

Yeah, unless NOVA and Norfolk/Newport news was down massively, IDK what Wasserman is on about.

Judakel posted:

Apparently Carter did no canvassing. Not sure what he expected.
:psyduck:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

In regards to turnout,
https://twitter.com/bluevirginia/status/1402438572607737857?s=21

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I didn't quite expect 2017 turnout levels but this isn't nearly as bad or w/e as Wasserman made it sound earlier.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Monmouth has a new poll out, TMac up by five.
https://twitter.com/MonmouthPoll/status/1442534599511482374

Still closer than I'd like but I've heard early voting isn't anything to be alarmed by yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Frey is pretty much on par with Ted Wheeler at this point at just being loving useless at best and complacent at worst. Would be nice to see him get booted out in the coming election.

Also lol, that was worth staying till the end for