Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

If you can both agree the government should be our power against capital and the forces making our lives and world worse... if you can convince them the government sucks because of capital... if you can advocate for communities looking out for people...

You might find they're less diehard Republican and more communist!

I wouldn't, uh, start with that though!. And convincing somebody not to vote republican is far easier than convincing them to vote for democrats.

you're gonna be real surprised when you find out that their answer to all of that is to:
- purge the countryside of minorities and gays (because those are the forces they think are making their lives worse)
- dismantle all federal government agencies (because the power of capital corrupts government, and therefore government should be as weak as possible)
- and put all power under a local government, which in turn is placed under the control of the local wealthy and powerful (because, as community members and community leaders, those are the obvious representatives to oversee the community looking out for itself and protecting itself from evil outsider capitalists)

there's a reason red-brown alliances haven't worked out very well historically, despite their mutual distrust for established power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

there's a reason red-brown alliances haven't worked out very well historically, despite their mutual distrust for established power

Hey, it only turned bad for Hitler when the Soviets didn't cave in

Oh, you meant

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

lol

what are your theories on life?

It was less theories on life and more a cavalcade of original cartoon characters and a jazz score to match dashing through my brain like a freight train. It was interesting, but a solid reminder why alcohol is my vice of choice

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

We (you and I) obviously disagree on whether our systems and status quo have already failed, or are even capable of reform.

So for me, this isn't a political alliance because I personally think our politics has failed, and lack the faith or imagination to conceive of it improving. But I can have faith and imagination enough for individual people. And even within an electoralism/political perspective surely discussing and possibly moving the needle has value. Compelling by word seems better than force, and more effective than by vote.

Anyway I'm fried today so "talking about talking about serious poo poo" is as close as I should get.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

If you can both agree the government should be our power against capital and the forces making our lives and world worse... if you can convince them the government sucks because of capital... if you can advocate for communities looking out for people...

You might find they're less diehard Republican and more communist!

I wouldn't, uh, start with that though!. And convincing somebody not to vote republican is far easier than convincing them to vote for democrats.

"The diehard Republicans are actually Communists, you just need to talk to them!" take isn't new, but it usually isn't this blatant.

A good chunk of my extended family is made up of diehard Republicans, and I've met my share over the years. This is a fantasy.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Everything we aspire to is a fantasy, though. And while we hopefully operate under laxer rules, the poster in question did mention they would not "start there", either.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
if everything is a fantasy, where is my unicorn, huh

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

DeadlyMuffin posted:

"The diehard Republicans are actually Communists, you just need to talk to them!" take isn't new, but it usually isn't this blatant.

A good chunk of my extended family is made up of diehard Republicans, and I've met my share over the years. This is a fantasy.

If a diehard republican is by definition some irredeemable, unreachable foe, than I'm genuinely sorry you have a bunch in your life... but I suppose I'm talking to the other relatively ignorant and self interested folks that make up the world.

Also I've just imagined a perfectly diehard republican, in a lib-less void.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

if everything is a fantasy, where is my unicorn, huh

This is why you voted for Hillary!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BRJurgis posted:

If you can both agree the government should be our power against capital

Bad news

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I only fantasize about a future where we don’t have to have the same stupid arguments about tactical voting and the lesser of two evils every four years

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

I only fantasize about a future where we don’t have to have the same stupid arguments about tactical voting and the lesser of two evils every four years

this is probably not possible without firebombing...

well i was gonna say the servers but i guess it's the cloud now. so shoot napalm wildly into the air, that should help.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

speaking of napalm, i've been thinking lately how many white liberals have told me that back in the day they were profoundly affected by that photo of the little vietnamese girl burned by napalm and it really changed their hearts and minds about the war

now there are images orders of magnitude worse than that one coming out of gaza every single day and nobody seems to give a poo poo

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

nvm this isn't the thread or the place

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 24, 2024

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cease to Hope posted:

this is probably not possible without firebombing...

well i was gonna say the servers but i guess it's the cloud now. so shoot napalm wildly into the air, that should help.

Firebombing doesn’t sound impossible but given how mad people get about the topic whenever it comes up the most likely place for it seems like my house

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Firebombing doesn’t sound impossible but given how mad people get about the topic whenever it comes up the most likely place for it seems like my house

firebombing the cloud. i would not exhort anyone to violence against you or your house

if you want to hold a bbq that's probably a good compromise though

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i'm so tired

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you're not insane, avs, the occupation is.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Cease to Hope posted:

you're not insane, avs, the occupation is.
both can be true. i feel insane for believing the fiction for such a long time

lately i've also been thinking about all those kids who got shot for throwing stones. i realised that every time i heard that story - and there were many times - i kind of justified it in my head like "what if that kid was just really good at throwing stones?" like what if these palestinian children were running around pelting rocks with such superhuman aim and skill that the soldiers had no choice but to consider them a genuine threat?

like i never actually went so far as to spell it out in my mind, but those were the mental gymnastics i went through to try to justify it to myself. and that deranged justification is considered saner by current standards than saying "maybe an unarmed ten-year-old is never a viable threat that needs to be liquidated."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

speaking of napalm, i've been thinking lately how many white liberals have told me that back in the day they were profoundly affected by that photo of the little vietnamese girl burned by napalm and it really changed their hearts and minds about the war

now there are images orders of magnitude worse than that one coming out of gaza every single day and nobody seems to give a poo poo

i posted that photo in one of the dad chat iterations and then people got mad at me

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Run girl run

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

both can be true. i feel insane for believing the fiction for such a long time

it's a really effective fiction, one given the twin imprimaturs of history and consensus. the fact that you can nonetheless find your way past those to test that fiction against your other firm convictions and find it wanting, that's not insanity. that's just having a strong moral compass.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think Stalin has a quote about that

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i appreciate your conscience avs

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
every time i go by the mcdonald's near my parents' place i momentarily think this is the napalm girl photo

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

thank you dadchat. i don't need to have my rear end patted for being sad about the situation. my posting on this is just useless self-pity that doesn't help anyone. but it is nice to have a friendly void to scream into. the sense of helplessness and despair is crushing and it's growing every single day.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the joementum finally ground to a halt, at the gates of hell

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
got my hopes up smh

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

my favourite part of studying educational systems around the world is all the researchers singing the praises of the magical finns. happiest country on earth!

i've come to realise the finnish tendency to become chaos elementals online is not despite their superb education system, but because of it. dealing with americans drives them insane

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i have three and a half hours to pare this assignment down to under 3,000 words. it is currently 4,780

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
"This topic merits further explanation in greater detail, but that is beyond the scope of this document."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

my favourite part of studying educational systems around the world is all the researchers singing the praises of the magical finns. happiest country on earth!

i've come to realise the finnish tendency to become chaos elementals online is not despite their superb education system, but because of it. dealing with americans drives them insane

Have you seen Americans?

Or worse yet, have you seen a Swede? That's some Lovecraft poo poo right there, and not in the tentacle happy sort of way

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Rappaport posted:

Have you seen Americans?

Or worse yet, have you seen a Swede? That's some Lovecraft poo poo right there, and not in the tentacle happy sort of way
america and sweden, the scylla and charibdis of the modern age

assignment update: it ended up just over 5000 words, i was trying to cut it down but somehow it just kept growing. i submitted it anyway and sent a letter of apology to the marker.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

void scream

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 1, 2024

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

loving

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 1, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Please stay safe, avs

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

what the gently caress? what the gently caress

[rant deleted]

Rappaport posted:

Please stay safe, avs
thank you, i'm okay. posting here is kind of an anchor. if i write it down where other people can see it, it reminds me that no, this is reality, this is really happening, and that helps me to not go insane irl.

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 1, 2024

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 1, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

sorry, i keep posting poo poo, i'll stop now. too many photos of child skeletons and rotting severed heads for one night.

gently caress israel, free palestine

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 1, 2024