Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sci fi?
This poll is closed.
No sci-fi! 4 5.06%
It's too easy 11 13.92%
Do not, under any circumstance, post ridiculous sex stuff from sci fi! 17 21.52%
Okay, you can post weird sex stuff from sci fi, well-played! 47 59.49%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Children how many times have I told you that Mister Magnolia is a hoarder and his house is filthy. You are not to visit him, nor do I want you enabling him by bringing him more unused garbage. That boot doesn't even fit him, he's going to get bunions and become even more of a shutin just please leave the man be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
In the Sneetches when the star bellied sneetches have their stars removed because the lower class non star-bellied sneetches try to impersonate the wealthy elites.

In the Wizard of Oz when Dororthy would rather live in Kansas than be a princess in a fairyland.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

beverly cleary is still alive and she is 102 holy poo poo

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

flakeloaf posted:

Where the Wild Things Are is a story about a psychopath whose only wish is to be surrounded by people he can violently intimidate into having fun on his terms, and ridiculous part is how he managed to make it to his room on page three without welts.

So basically he's a kid.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
It's not possible for it to rain meatballs

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Creamed Cormp posted:

In Harry Potter the bankers are hook nosed goblins with an obsession for gold and secrecy... talk about yikes!
The Potter books can be politely described as "unfortunate."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

His fat cousin Dudley blubbered up to the food trough fatfully, and greedily devoured all of the food in the entire house, shoveling it into his piggy fat mouth, because that's all fat people are good for and they can't help but be fat and useless, and also they're stupid. Fatty piggy fat fat.

There is actually such a thing as a tesseract, you giant square.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

flakeloaf posted:

There is actually such a thing as a tesseract, you giant square.

One part gin
One part limoncello
Soju to taste

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

raton posted:

Children can't read or imagine so the real ridiculous part is that adults buy these books all the time because they were duped. In the 1990s this got out so they renamed most of the children's section to be the Fantasy and Science Fiction section. Now you know.

Owned

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

The White Dragon posted:

this book has a short story about a village that gets eaten by a giant dragon. but the people aren't having that poo poo so they kill it by going down to its tail and pulling it inside out through the mouth

Should have started at his scrotum, then they’d really be dragon some balls around.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Carl Seitan posted:

In The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, when Santa shows up out of no where and gives the kids weapons.

Thank you for reminding me of this. Santa rules and can Greater Planeshift at will

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

Thank you for reminding me of this. Santa rules and can Greater Planeshift at will

wait is this real? I don't remember that at all.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Carl Seitan posted:

In The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, when Santa shows up out of no where and gives the kids weapons.

That part owned.

Also I guess the lion was supposed to be jesus or whatever but the part where he dies was super hosed up

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
theres lots of good stuff in Roald Dahl books but they are always quite deliberately ridiculous. I always loved the description of the doctor cutting out his tonsils without anesthetic in Boy.

Also, the eagles didn't fly to mordor because they would have gotten hosed up by dragons and poo poo, they could only get that close to mount doom because the eye was dead. Jeez.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I thought the excuse was the eagles and other stuff would be tempted by the ring.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Also I guess the lion was supposed to be jesus or whatever but the part where he dies was super hosed up

Yeah the strapping-him-to-a-stone-tableau-and-knifing-him-to-death seriously messed me up as a kid.

The good news is, I can omit that part when telling the story to my kids, and it also removes the totally forced Jesus-is-zombie-magic metaphor.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

The Walrus posted:

theres lots of good stuff in Roald Dahl books but they are always quite deliberately ridiculous. I always loved the description of the doctor cutting out his tonsils without anesthetic in Boy.

Is that the one where he gets snipped in the back of the throat and then his bloody tonsils and lymphy adnoids pour out of his open mouth into a surgical pan resting on his chest?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah the strapping-him-to-a-stone-tableau-and-knifing-him-to-death seriously messed me up as a kid.

The good news is, I can omit that part when telling the story to my kids, and it also removes the totally forced Jesus-is-zombie-magic metaphor.

Coward.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

That when she got home she went to bed,
And she couldn't eat,
And she couldn't sleep,
And her heart was broken,
And she DID die—
All because of a pony
That her parents wouldn't buy.

what the gently caress, shel?

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

flakeloaf posted:

shel rules

check out the ABZ Book

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
In Charlie and the chocolate factory, Willie Wonka keeps black slaves.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Walrus posted:

roald dahl has a great line about people with beards in The Twits

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

In Charlie and the chocolate factory, Willie Wonka keeps black slaves.

only in the first edition

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

It's 2018 and somehow you still don't understand that ponies are serious business for some people

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm amazed nobody mentioned the Walrus and the Carpenter.

That's a pedo pied piper.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

The White Dragon posted:

this book has a short story about a village that gets eaten by a giant dragon. but the people aren't having that poo poo so they kill it by going down to its tail and pulling it inside out through the mouth

Holy gently caress I remember this suddenly. The dragon is totally hollow inside and at the bottom of the tail is like a bone with a hole, so they hook a rope onto it and the entire town pulls on the rope until they walk out through the dragon's mouth dragging his loving insides out with them
It gave me nightmares. What a hosed up way to kill something

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

curlys gold posted:

shel rules

check out the ABZ Book

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

That part owned.

In the final Narnia book everyone dies in a train crash and goes to heaven/Aslans country.

Apart from Susan, because she liked parties and wearing makeup too much.

The last Narnia book was not subtle.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Hermoine said the n word at least once a book and no one called her for that bullshit

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

The good news is, I can omit that part when telling the story to my kids

Don't do that you goddamn puss

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
In Edward Eager's Half Magic, a group of siblings find a magic medallion that grants half of a wish - the children wish to be on a desert island and end up in a desert, their mother wishes she was home while visiting boring relatives and teleports to the midpoint between the relatives' house and her own house - that sort of thing. The kids eventually figure out how to get what they want by doubling their wishes, and go on adventures. It's a cute, E. Nesbit-style book...mostly.

In the desert, the kids encounter the character of "Achmed the Arab," who not only wears a "crafty, and definitely unattractive" expression, but tries to hold them for ransom. They escape, but realize he only tried to kidnap them because he was so poor. They wish him "twice as much as he deserves of whatever it is that he would wish for with this charm!" Achmed's three mangy camels are replaced by five healthy ones carrying bulging packs, and "A plump Arab lady appeared suddenly at Achmed's side, leading six plump Arab children by the hand. She smiled coyly at Achmed."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a glitch posted:

In the final Narnia book everyone dies in a train crash and goes to heaven/Aslans country.

Would you rather visit Aslans country or the back of Susans throat?

I wanna go to Aslans country :3:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Dawn Treader book rules and I'd kill all my friends and half my family if I could do it for real

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a glitch posted:

I think it was a bus

It’s weird because I loved the Narnia books a lot as a kid but I pretty much only remember the first and last books now and usually I remember that poo poo. Like I remembered how much I hated the end of Stuart Little and recently I found my childhood copy of it and threw it in my fireplace because gently caress that weak rear end “I don’t feel like actually finishing a book” poo poo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh you wanted Stuart to actually find his bird friend? Sorry we spent half the book dedicated to it but we only paid for so many pages so we’re just fading to black while he’s traveling out of nowhere and there won’t be any closure thanks for reading

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Narnia series sucks and my kids will never know it existed. Eat my rear end Aslan

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

flakeloaf posted:

In the laid back California town of sunny San Rafael
Lived a girl named Pearly Sweetcake, you prob’ly knew her well.
She’d been stoned fifteen of her eighteen years and the story was widely told
That she could smoke 'em faster than anyone could roll.
Her legend finally reached New York, that Grove Street walk up flat
Where dwelt The Calistoga Kid, a beatnik from the past
With long browned lightnin’ fingers he takes a cultured toke
And says, "Hell, I can roll em faster, Jim, than any chick can smoke!"

So a note gets sent to San Rafael, "For the Championship of the World
The Kid demands a smoke off!" "Well, bring him on!" says Pearl,
"I'll grind his fingers off his hands, he'll roll until he drops!"
Says Calistog, "I'll smoke that twist till she blows up and pops!"
So they rent out Yankee Stadium and the word is quickly spread
"Come one, come all, who walk or crawl, price Just two lids a head
And from every town and hamlet, over land and sea they speed
The world's greatest dopers, with the Worlds greatest weed
Hashishers from Morocco, hemp smokers from Peru
And the Shamnicks from Bagun who puff the deadly Pugaroo
And those who call it Light of Life and those that call it boo.

See the dealers and their ladies wearing turquoise, lace, and leather
See the narcos and the closet smokers puffin’ all together
From the teenies who smoke legal to the ones who've done some time
To the old man who smoked "reefer" back before it was a crime
And the grand old house that Ruth built is filled with the smoke and cries
Of fifty thousand screaming heads all stoned out of their minds.
And they play the national anthem and the crowd lets out a roar
As the spotlight hits The Kid and Pearl, ready for their smokin' war
At a table piled up high with grass, as high as a mountain peak
Just tops and buds of the rarest flowers, not one stem, branch or seed.

Maui Wowie, Panama Red and Acapulco Gold.
Kif from East Afghanistan and rare Alaskan Cold.
Sticks from Thailand, Ganja from the Islands, and Bangkok's Bloomin' Best.
And some of that wet imported poo poo that capsized off Key West.
Oaxacan tops and Kenya Bhang and Riviera Fleurs.
And that rare Manhatten Silver that grows down in the New York sewers.
And there's bubblin’ ice cold lemonade and sweet grapes by the bunches.
And there's Hershey’s bars, and Oreos, case anybody gets the munchies.
And the Calistoga Kid, he sneers, and Pearly, she just grins.
And the drums roll low and the crowd yells "GO!" and the world’s first Smoke Off begins.

Kid flicks his magic fingers once and ZAP! that first joint’s rolled.
Pearl takes one drag with her mighty lungs and WOOSH! that roach is cold.
Then The Kid he rolls his Super Bomb that’d paralyze a moose.
And Pearley takes one super hit and SLURP! that bomb’ defused.
Then he rolls three in just ten seconds and she smokes 'em up in nine,
And everybody sits back and says, "This just might take some time."
See the blur of flyin’ fingers, see the red coal burnin’ bright
As the night turns into mornin’ and the mornin’ fades to night
And the autumn turns to summer and a whole drat year is gone
But the two still sit on that roach filled stage, smokin' and rollin' on
With tremblin’ hands he rolls his jays with fingers blue and stiff
She coughs and stares with bloodshot gaze, and puffs through blistered lips.
And as she reaches out her hand for another stick of gold
The Kid he gasps, "Goddamn it, bitch, there's nothin' left to roll!"
"Nothin’ left to roll?", screams Pearl, "Is this some twisted joke?"
"I didn't come here to gently caress around, man, I come here to SMOKE!"
And she reaches 'cross the table And grabs his bony sleeves
And she crumbles his body between her hands like dried and brittle leaves
Flickin' out his teeth and bones like useless stems and seeds
And then she rolls him in a Zig Zag and lights him like a roach.
And the fastest man with the fastest hands goes up in a puff of smoke.

In the laid back California town of sunny San Rafael
Lives a girl named Pearly Sweetcake, you prob’ly know her well.
She’s been stoned twenty one of her twenty four years, and the story’s widely told.
How she still can smoke them faster than anyone can roll
While off in New York City on a street that has no name.
There's the hands of the Calistoga Kid in the Viper Hall of Fame
And underneath his fingers there's a little golden scroll
That says, Beware of Bein’ the Roller When There's Nothin’ Left to Roll.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 9, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fist4jesus posted:

I thought the excuse was the eagles and other stuff would be tempted by the ring.
It's only a plot hole if you're the kind of idiot who thinks everything in a story has to be some sort of explicit truth. If you take two seconds to think about the series' themes it's obvious that the eagles can't carry the ring for the same reason Tom Bombadil can't, or Gandalf, or Legolas.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pththya-lyi posted:

In Edward Eager's Half Magic, a group of siblings find a magic medallion that grants half of a wish - the children wish to be on a desert island and end up in a desert, their mother wishes she was home while visiting boring relatives and teleports to the midpoint between the relatives' house and her own house - that sort of thing. The kids eventually figure out how to get what they want by doubling their wishes, and go on adventures. It's a cute, E. Nesbit-style book...mostly.

In the desert, the kids encounter the character of "Achmed the Arab," who not only wears a "crafty, and definitely unattractive" expression, but tries to hold them for ransom. They escape, but realize he only tried to kidnap them because he was so poor. They wish him "twice as much as he deserves of whatever it is that he would wish for with this charm!" Achmed's three mangy camels are replaced by five healthy ones carrying bulging packs, and "A plump Arab lady appeared suddenly at Achmed's side, leading six plump Arab children by the hand. She smiled coyly at Achmed."

Dirty Achmed knows what is best in life

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's only a plot hole if you're the kind of idiot who thinks everything in a story has to be some sort of explicit truth. If you take two seconds to think about the series' themes it's obvious that the eagles can't carry the ring for the same reason Tom Bombadil can't, or Gandalf, or Legolas.

*tries to resist LoTR arguments that have existed for like 50 years, can’t* Frodo could have flown on the eagles though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think it was a bus

It’s weird because I loved the Narnia books a lot as a kid but I pretty much only remember the first and last books now and usually I remember that poo poo. Like I remembered how much I hated the end of Stuart Little and recently I found my childhood copy of it and threw it in my fireplace because gently caress that weak rear end “I don’t feel like actually finishing a book” poo poo

It was a train