Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sci fi?
This poll is closed.
No sci-fi! 4 5.06%
It's too easy 11 13.92%
Do not, under any circumstance, post ridiculous sex stuff from sci fi! 17 21.52%
Okay, you can post weird sex stuff from sci fi, well-played! 47 59.49%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

*tries to resist LoTR arguments that have existed for like 50 years, can’t* Frodo could have flown on the eagles though...

Yeah, did someone actually argue about the eagles physically carrying the rings or was that just a strawman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

*tries to resist LoTR arguments that have existed for like 50 years, can’t* Frodo could have flown on the eagles though...
If you're the kind of person who gets annoyed by the eagles, go read Tom Clancy. Clancy makes sure to spell everything out in exhuasting technical detail.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's only a plot hole if you're the kind of idiot who thinks everything in a story has to be some sort of explicit truth. If you take two seconds to think about the series' themes it's obvious that the eagles can't carry the ring for the same reason Tom Bombadil can't, or Gandalf, or Legolas.

The eagles don't carry the ring ding dong they carry Frodo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you're the kind of person who gets annoyed by the eagles, go read Tom Clancy. Clancy makes sure to spell everything out in exhuasting technical detail.

I like the Eagles I just think they’re jerks for not helping out more. Also they won the super bowl so clearly they were capable of it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There was that one book where the rat was a knight and there was a badger that was also a knight

Rats and badgers cannot be knights

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

where the blue gently caress is grendels father

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

curlys gold posted:

where the blue gently caress is grendels father

he lives in andilusia where the skies are always fair. don't worry he sends wereglid to support grendel. sometimes

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

raton posted:

The eagles don't carry the ring ding dong they carry Frodo

Eagles carrying Ring Dings instead of the fellowship relying on lembas bread would have been a fun comic to include at the end of each book, ala fruit pies and superheroes.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

raton posted:

There was that one book where the rat was a knight and there was a badger that was also a knight

Who was knighting these animals in the Redwall books? It obviously took place in the UK was the queen going around putting those little cocktail swords on a shrews shoulder? That seems like it’s making a mockery of the idea

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

El_Elegante posted:

Eagles carrying Ring Dings instead of the fellowship relying on lembas bread would have been a fun comic to include at the end of each book, ala fruit pies and superheroes.

I wish they would have taken huge shits on the wizard

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Who was knighting these animals in the Redwall books? It obviously took place in the UK was the queen going around putting those little cocktail swords on a shrews shoulder? That seems like it’s making a mockery of the idea
Any animal can knight any smaller animal.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Here's a fun question: what was the religion that resulted in a mouse abbey?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
the only good part of the entire Redwall series was when those two rats get captured and taken back to Redwall, one rat stays evil but the other becomes good and builds boats for the children to sail around the pond in

i hated everything else about it, even as a kid, i think the only reason i read them was just to get to the end of the story

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

Here's a fun question: what was the religion that resulted in a mouse abbey?

Shrewdaism

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Moles and rats do not go boating together. And toads cannot drive automobiles.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
There is no elephant king. They live in matriarchal collectives, or alone. And they do not wear green gabardine suits.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

T C C

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fatherly.com/play/curious-george-ether/amp/

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ratholicism

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

raton posted:

my gf loves the red wall books. my biggest issue is how big is everything supposed to be because it changes from book to book. is it medieval animals in a Human sized world where everything is bigger then them or is everything there sized?

gleebster posted:

Moles and rats do not go boating together. And toads cannot drive automobiles.

actualy. how the gently caress does that world work? like humans know about animals being people sized. idk.

anyway. i mostly read these when i was a kid.

https://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/illustrated-classics-great-illustrated-classics-s/45.htm

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 9, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gleebster posted:

There is no elephant king. They live in matriarchal collectives, or alone. And they do not wear green gabardine suits.

Babar gets weird when you realise it's meant to be sanitised post-colonial Africa

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Babar gets weird when you realise it's meant to be sanitised post-colonial Africa

And isn't it kinda messed up how The Man in the Yellow Hat kidnaps Curious George from his home in Africa?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
Edmund being successfully tempted by Turkish Delight when eating Turkish Delight is like biting into a slug that's just crawled through the contents of a reclusive duchess's dressing table.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ulex minor posted:

Edmund being successfully tempted by Turkish Delight when eating Turkish Delight is like biting into a slug that's just crawled through the contents of a reclusive duchess's dressing table.

candy wasn't as good back then. this is not immersion breaking

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The average child of 7 weighs about 50 lbs, having 2 children jump on their overweight father's belly would be similar to having 100 lbs hitting you in the gut in rapid succession, which could result in internal bleeding.

Anyone can imitate common sounds. Mr. Brown is completely unremarkable.

Just because elephants have large ears doesn't mean they can hear microscopic organisms.

Green food coloring does not effect the taste of food. Perhaps Joey abstains from ham and eggs due to religious, dietary, or moral reasons. Sam-I-Am should not be so unpleasantly self-assertive, and should know that setting or dining guests do not change a persons view on a certain type of food.

I seriously doubt if this Seuss even has a doctorate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

candy wasn't as good back then. this is not immersion breaking

Remember the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe takes place in Britain in WW2, where even the mediocre candy was probably rationed to all hell

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Linux Pirate posted:

I seriously doubt if this Seuss even has a doctorate.

neither does dre but nobody brings his qualificaitons into question even though his rhymes don't come close to the original dr

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

neither does dre but nobody brings his qualificaitons into question even though his rhymes don't come close to the original dr

Kinda unrelated but Dr. Seuss illustrated a slew of boner books and I think everyone should know.

But yes Dr. Seuss does rule.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock posted:

Actually it was probably the Norwegians.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Guys the eagles were too busy loving up t*m br*dy to fly the lil midgets

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The White Dragon posted:

only in the first edition

My mind is blown. I wonder how I came to read the original, considering it was revised well before I was born.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

raton posted:

In Narnia the lion talks but in real life lions can't talk.

Maybe no-one ever asked them politely enough

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

They were mouselim.

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

Looking at that link and seeing Aesops Fables reminds me of when I was at middle school and we did a project on them. The teacher got us to write our own, and we had to tell the rest of the class the title of the one we were going to write. I can still remember the look on the teachers face as each kid stated their title and they were all "How the Cow Learned to Sing" or "How the Dog Became Pope", as she became more and more resigned to the fact nobody had any idea how it worked.

One particularly insightful, intelligent and promising student did come up with "How the Snake Lost its Legs", and got a bunch of "BUT SNAKES DON'T HAVE LEGS".

Me, that was me, I was the smart one. I'm a complete legend, is what I'm saying. It's definitely when I peaked, though.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I got into Stephen King around 9 or 10, and read IT when I was 11

It was the first time I read a book with explicit sexual content and I just assumed the sex stuff in that book was “normal” for R rated fiction which sort of Fd my brain for a long time

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I got into Stephen King around 9 or 10, and read IT when I was 11

It was the first time I read a book with explicit sexual content and I just assumed the sex stuff in that book was “normal” for R rated fiction which sort of Fd my brain for a long time

Goddamn how do you let your brain become that affected by Stephen kings poo poo, his writing isn’t even that powerful. Like lol if you read that garbage and anything sticks, weak willed bitch baby might as well join a cult lol. :v:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Goddamn how do you let your brain become that affected by Stephen kings poo poo, his writing isn’t even that powerful. Like lol if you read that garbage and anything sticks, weak willed bitch baby might as well join a cult lol. :v:

Before I hit puberty I thought Stephen king books were extremely cool and edgy bc they had cuss words also some were legitimate scary AF (the shining)

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Before I hit puberty I thought Stephen king books were extremely cool and edgy bc they had cuss words also some were legitimate scary AF (the shining)

Oh come on the guy spends the whole book telling you how it’s gonna be scary at the end and writing a psychological thesis on how it’s gonna be so scary for 30 chapters and then it’s like softcore horror at the end. It’s like trying to watch a humorless man write comedy but he can’t flesh out his own irony to fruition.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

George's Marvellous Medicine: mix all of your household cleaning products together and trick your infirm grandmother into drinking it to get vengeance for her meanness.

Then when the story ends with grandma shrinking and disappearing it is treated as a happy ending for George and even his father accepts it since "she was becoming a nuisance".

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

They've got the original Goosebumps live action show on netflix right now, and it is quite a thing to watch. The primary theme that R.L. Stine seemed to be trying to get across is that no matter what, no adult or authority figure is going to be on your side with anything in any situation. The first episode on there has an exchange where a girl is saying "the creepy librarian followed me home," and her parents are all "no he didn't, you're crazy."

And then TWIST, turns out he totally did and they knew that, but he's a monster and they're monsters and they had to scare the other monster away so as to protect their monster turf. Nearly every other episode ends with a twist like that, if not a twist and then an additional "and also, they were aliens the whole time." It is truly wretched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They're honestly right that adults and authority figures will not protect children from predators