Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sci fi?
This poll is closed.
No sci-fi! 4 5.06%
It's too easy 11 13.92%
Do not, under any circumstance, post ridiculous sex stuff from sci fi! 17 21.52%
Okay, you can post weird sex stuff from sci fi, well-played! 47 59.49%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sid Vicious posted:

The shopkeeper from the haunted mask was splayed by Colin Fox and I used to board my horse at his farm

The horse?

The very one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lots of gilded/progressive age kids books had weird body/existentialist/weird horror elements in them.

i mean peter pan is about a dead kid who lives with pirates who kidnap a girl so she can be their mother.
And he kills the lost boys who get too old to be fun. poo poo's messed up

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

trickybiscuits posted:

And he kills the lost boys who get too old to be fun. poo poo's messed up

does he? i forgot about that. i assumed they were all dead or some poo poo?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

this is 100% real there was a thread about buying $10,000 ripped up jeans and artisanally ducttaped ratty sneakers

Whenever I see things like this I always want to know how to get in on this sort of scam.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

raton posted:

The horse?

The very one?

That was someone else's horse and it was an earlier farm we boarded at where it was

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

every part of the phantom tollbooth is ridiculous and also awesome

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

free hubcaps posted:

*Jumps to conclusions*

*Has to swim back*

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

One of the later Narnia books gives a little backstory on the White Witch. She's about to be defeated in a battle in the place she originally comes from, and uses a powerful sorcery called the Deplorable Word to destroy everyone but herself and make the place uninhabitable. As a kid I found the idea fascinating and horrifying but once I got a little older I realized it was a cool allegory, better than most others in the series.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

free hubcaps posted:

God, that might be my favourite childhood book. There was really nothing about it that didn’t tickle me.

SILENCE IS GOLDEN.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
Legit stopped paying any kind of attention in any class for days just to plow through phantom toll booth. It's one of those kinds of books.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I feel I could have been a much more successful man if I were born a century earlier

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Whenever I see things like this I always want to know how to get in on this sort of scam.

The only time I ever read YLLS was that time period in the early 2010s when literally like half of everyone posting pictures of themselves were wearing ridiculous knee length crotch drop pants and had topknots, male or female

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

big rear end latina teen chased by lesbian loving ANKY on hoverbed then hosed

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Steven Kellogg's Paul Bunyan book has this one part out of nowhere where they're crossing a desert and are attacked by giant snakes and tarantulas, and all it says is something like "those Texas varmints sure were a problem!" Like there's people being killed by giant loving spiders right there on the page and it just never comes up again. Rest of the book was boring, I wanted to read more about whatever the hell that was.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Love the weird poo poo. I'd love to usher in more pro-phantom tollbooth chat, if possible:

“So many things are possible just as long as you don't know they're impossible.”

"Expect everything... and the unexpected never happens"

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
when we read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in 5th grade we ate "turkish delight" in class one day

it was red jello with whipped cream

I liked it

snack eater fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 22, 2018

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
In The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe the Ice Queen tempts a boy using turkish delight. This does not make sense as turkish delight is loving foul and nobody in their right mind would eat that poo poo, ever, and if they say they do they're lying

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

snack eater posted:

when we read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in 5th grade we ate "turkish delight" in class one day

it was red jello with whipped cream

I liked it

That reminds me of home economics around the same time, where our teacher insisted that banana splits were made with whipped cream from a can, as normal people can't afford vanilla ice cream. No chocolate, either, so it was a cream-sprayed banana on a plate, good stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Songbearer posted:

In The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe the Ice Queen tempts a boy using turkish delight. This does not make sense as turkish delight is loving foul and nobody in their right mind would eat that poo poo, ever, and if they say they do they're lying

i like turkish delight...

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I thought Turkish delight was a polite way of saying sodomy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'd say I've probably eaten about 300 Big Turks in my life, and I don't mean Turkish dicks anally (i do)

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

skasion posted:

He had a good illustrator

Okay, this is literally the guy who did the art for Final Fantasy 3/6.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

THE BAR posted:

That reminds me of home economics around the same time, where our teacher insisted that banana splits were made with whipped cream from a can, as normal people can't afford vanilla ice cream. No chocolate, either, so it was a cream-sprayed banana on a plate, good stuff.

Homeless ec?

Farley Drexel Hatcher probably should've been in treatment for his pica.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

There was a Swedish book series called The Concrete Roses, about a bunch of kids way out of their depths solving crimes. Sounds familiar of course, but where it differs was that it had things like the main character falling down an elevator shaft and essentially flaying his skin off grabbing the wire, and an arsonist being another kid that was trying to frame an abuser and who couldn't sleep unless they burnt something.

I still to this day don't know why the parents of the kids didn't move from that neighborhood.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i have been watching the series of unfortunate events show on netflix(read the books years ago) it really captures the weird loving absurdity and humor of them pretty well. the only issue i have is how the plots are basicaly the same deal for most of the series up until the end. why not just rip off olafs disgues and then bash his head in with a rock.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
because then you couldn't smugly show off your knowledge of words like "defenestration"

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Love You Forever's backstory is so macabre that it sounds like an urban legend. Does kind of explain how over the top and creepy the book is tho!

Robert Munsch posted:

"I made that up after my wife and I had two babies born dead. The song was my song to my dead babies. For a long time I had it in my head and I couldn't even sing it because every time I tried to sing it I cried. It was very strange having a song in my head that I couldn't sing.

For a long time it was just a song but one day, while telling stories at a big theatre at the University of Guelph, it occurred to me that I might be able to make a story around the song.

Out popped Love You Forever, pretty much the way it is in the book."
They had no other children at the time. So it's less a reflection on raising children and more a fantasy of what raising children would be like if my children weren't dead

Whatev fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 27, 2018

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

drat I never knew that about him, he's from my city and used to give out the little versions of his books on Halloween and at school events. That's really sad, although it became a staple of every single baby shower ever.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Two nine-year-olds capable of inducing a dissociative state in a school administrator, making him strip down to his gitch and wander into confrontations with forces he couldn't possibly be expected to control, should probably be arrested for trying to murder their principal.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Animals talking in books exceot for the odd bit of actual parroting, is ridiculous. Which makes us all sad victims of brainwashing.

Little Big Books? More like Little Big Brother books!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Two nine-year-olds capable of inducing a dissociative state in a school administrator, making him strip down to his gitch and wander into confrontations with forces he couldn't possibly be expected to control, should probably be arrested for trying to murder their principal.

TRALALA.

The White Dragon posted:

because then you couldn't smugly show off your knowledge of words like "defenestration"

oh yeah the humor. that poo poo got old fast and i like that kinda humor.

"we are going bludgeon you to death, count olad" said Klause "which here means, we are going to take this rock and bash your skull into the structure caves in and you die of severe brain injuries and blood loss you vile villain"

"grubleznap" shrieked sunny as she cut olafs tendons with her teeth.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 27, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
From the same book in the OP (The Hardy Boys Secret of Pirates' Hill), page 31:

The detour they had to make took the boys past the farm of their friend Chet Morton. Chet was eighteen, roly-poly, good-natured, and loved to eat. Solving mysteries with the Hardys always gave him the jutters. Despite this, he was a loyal assistant and on more than one occasion had saved them from dangerous predicaments.

"Let's stop a minute," Joe suggested, seeing Chet's sister Iola near the swimming pool.

Frank grinned knowingly. Joe and Iola dated frequently. He pulled into the driveway. The Boys got out and walked toward the pretty dark-haired girl.

"Hi!" she said

"Hi, yourself!" Joe said, 'Where's Chet?"

Iola pointed into the pool. Their stout friend was under water, wearing flippers and a snorkel. He traveled slowly, the snorkel moving like the periscope of a miniature submarine,

"Ahoy!" Joe yelled, as the brothers ran to the water's edge.

Chet continued moving about like a walrus. But finally he emerged and removed the face mask and flippers.

"Hi, fellows!" he called. "I'm having a hard time learning this business. Can't get down deep enough."

"What's the trouble?" Joe asked, "That extra fat you carry around make you too buoyant?" he teased.

"Now listen here," said Chet, "just because I know good food when I see it-"

He smacked his lips as if imagining he was about to taste something delicious.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That author was definitely a feeder

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That author was definitely a feeder

alot of books from that time painted fats(like me) like that. even rod serling wrote like that.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I like how the mere mention of food causes him to have prader-willi-esque hallucinations

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

alot of books from that time painted fats(like me) like that. even rod serling wrote like that.

Good thing we've moved on since th

J.K. Rowling posted:

"I," said Dudley Dursley, his jowls wobbling with ten years' accumulated blubber, "am fat."

"Fat and evil", added his aunt, who was also fat. "We, your fat relatives, are evil, and going to torture you."

Uncle Vernon cackled beneath his moustache as he devoured a Schnitzer puppy fatly and evilly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Whybird posted:

Good thing we've moved on since th

true. the potter universe is something that could be cool if it was written by someone who wasn't an idiot because gently caress me that new movie was bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tbh nothing about any individual Hardy Boys book is as ridiculous as how the books got modernized. In the 80s they relaunched the series so the Hardy Boys are now like bad rear end gunslingers working for a secret shadow government to take on world crime, and in the first book of the series just to let you know these books aren’t for pussies, Chet the Fat’s sister gets blown up by a loving car bomb and Joe swears revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A car bomb? Yawn, ain't nuthin gunna compare to Animorphs when it comes to teens facing major stakes