Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sci fi?
This poll is closed.
No sci-fi! 4 5.06%
It's too easy 11 13.92%
Do not, under any circumstance, post ridiculous sex stuff from sci fi! 17 21.52%
Okay, you can post weird sex stuff from sci fi, well-played! 47 59.49%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I was browsing a second-hand shop a while back and I found a storybook from the... 60s? 70s? called Walt Disney's America. I opened it up to a random page and got this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
As a general rule, police departments do not rely on young teenage girls to solve crimes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

coraline is just a naked rip off of the thief of always

and that's...ridiculous
I've been trying to remember the name of this book for almost two decades now. Thank you. Somehow never realized it was Barker.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

I was browsing a second-hand shop a while back and I found a storybook from the... 60s? 70s? called Walt Disney's America. I opened it up to a random page and got this:

What the superfudge?
So many questions: Why is he lynching a pig?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Either he tried to brush a wild hog's teeth, or it's about encountering rabies

latent lunatic
Sep 5, 2018
Enticing the hogs to kill the rabid dog? :shrug:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Khazar-khum posted:

As a general rule, police departments do not rely on young teenage girls to solve crimes.

is it any wonder? if ya novels are any indication the police would be out of a job

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The early Hardy Boys books were overtly super cynical about cops and portrayed them as a bunch of lazy donut eating bastards basically. Apparently in the 50s they went back through and rewrote them to be more pro pig

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Kins posted:

Mike Huckabee must have read this one to his kids.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The most ridiculous thing is how Dick Tracy, hard-boiled crime fighting square jawed Dick Tracy, acquired a space ship, and he and his adopted son Junior used it to fly to the Moon, which was full of moon people who were mostly just like us, and Junior fell in love with the daughter of the Governor of the Moon, Moon Maid, and married her, and brought her back to Earth, and they had a daughter named Honeymoon, and Dick Tracy and Junior made all sorts of regular trips to visit their friends the Moon people.

Then after control of Dick Tracy was wrested away from its obviously senile original creator the first thing its new writers did was blow Moon Maid the gently caress up with a car bomb.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Kins posted:

They're talking about rabies you know.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

What the superfudge?
So many questions: Why is he lynching a pig?
I wanna say it was a storybook adaption of a piece of American folklore, but not growing up in America means I wasn't exposed to some of this stuff as a kid.

Did Old Yeller have pig-lynching? Because apparently this book has that story.

GoodReads posted:

Stories included:

Lady and the Tramp
Toby Tyler
Paul Revere
Donald Duck in Disneyland
Uncle Remus Stories
Ben and Me
Davey Crocket
Old Yeller
Savage Sam
Johnny Appleseed
Tonka
Pollyanna
The Shaggy Dog
The Flying Car
The Navajos
The Grand Canyon
Nomads of the North

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I didn't make it past page three so forgive me but the Eagles could have easily carried Frodo all the way to Mordor but they would have been spotted hundreds of miles away and a million orcs would have plugged the gaps of Mt Doom waiting for them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oz is interesting in how it was a fairly popular and well known series and now all anyone knows or cares about is the film.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The most ridiculous thing is how Dick Tracy, hard-boiled crime fighting square jawed Dick Tracy, acquired a space ship, and he and his adopted son Junior used it to fly to the Moon, which was full of moon people who were mostly just like us, and Junior fell in love with the daughter of the Governor of the Moon, Moon Maid, and married her, and brought her back to Earth, and they had a daughter named Honeymoon, and Dick Tracy and Junior made all sorts of regular trips to visit their friends the Moon people.

Then after control of Dick Tracy was wrested away from its obviously senile original creator the first thing its new writers did was blow Moon Maid the gently caress up with a car bomb.

Now this is art.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Khazar-khum posted:

Right. They have no interest in solving crimes.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Holy gently caress, I thought that Dick Tracy thing was just a drug fuelled joke.

I mean by Teriyaki Hairpiece, specifically.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Holy gently caress, I thought that Dick Tracy thing was just a drug fuelled joke.

I mean by Teriyaki Hairpiece, specifically.

You wanna see drug fueled, look up the strip from a few years ago, before the current artist.

LAUGH CLOWN LAUGH
HA HA HEE HOO Hee hee ha

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The moon people had powers, too. They could make things hot or cold or immobilize living things or shoot magnetic rays out of the antennae on their head.

Dick Tracy had moon adventures in hundreds of newspapers for years. Years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 28, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The moon people had powers, too. They could make things hot or cold or immobilize living things or shoot magnetic rays out of the antennae on their head.

quote:

During this period, Dick Tracy himself had many adventures on the Moon, notably solving a murder case involving a man named Purdy Fallar who kept two of his fingernails extra-long, claiming they were for harvesting the meat of Giant Escargot: a species of gigantic Moon snails, prized on Earth as delicacies.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Why, how do you eat your giant snail?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Holy poo poo I can't believe I forgot the giant snails. Those moon people loving loved their giant snails. Just another normal fact about a comic strip that stars a tough
crimebusting plainclothes police detective from not-Chicago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing, The Phantom is still crazy popular in Australia and routinely outsells Marvel and DC's combined output last I checked.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing, The Phantom is still crazy popular in Australia and routinely outsells Marvel and DC's combined output last I checked.
Yep. There's been a comic book version of The Phantom since 1948. It's basically the newspaper comics from the US and various European countries, translated where necessary and reformatted into a comic book form on crappy paper. It continues to sell bizarrely well, probably because it's cheap and sold at newsagents instead of comic shops.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
drat i didnt know dick tracy kicked so much rear end

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Kins posted:

Yep. There's been a comic book version of The Phantom since 1948. It's basically the newspaper comics from the US and various European countries, translated where necessary and reformatted into a comic book form on crappy paper. It continues to sell bizarrely well, probably because it's cheap and sold at newsagents instead of comic shops.

* For the Ghost Who Walks -ed

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I too, hope one day to be governor of the moon.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

He had a two-way wrist radio/video, assorted enemies named for their physical deformities, and moon people is the thing you find strange?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Khazar-khum posted:

He had a two-way wrist radio/video, assorted enemies named for their physical deformities, and moon people is the thing you find strange?

yeeeesssss?

(not sure if trick question)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I watched a documentary on Henry Darger and honestly if you took out the nudity his insane ramblings and artwork would not be out of place in an Oz book.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hm, idk. The really shocking thing about Darger once you get past the heroic nudity, the unusual transsexuality or whatever, and the sheer length of the book, is the violence and militarism and the emphasis on death and suffering. Oz is over-the-top pacifistic most of the time (the response of Ozma to hearing that the Nome King is coming to sack the emerald city in book 6 or so is basically “guess we’ll die, haha not, no one can die in Oz” and when Dorothy complains she lectures her about the futility of meeting violence with violence), the only time it portrays military stuff is to mock it and it never ever does anything gory or seriously warlike.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 30, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured Darger probably just genuinely didn't know what was in a girl's pants and only had himself as a reference point. Apparently it's theorised he was pretty far on the spectrum.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I figured Darger probably just genuinely didn't know what was in a girl's pants and only had himself as a reference point. Apparently it's theorised he was pretty far on the spectrum.

same. i think he was just really hosed up from ending up at a child asylum full of molesters because he jerked off at a catholic school. he also went loving nuts when he lost the picture of dead girl and he got angry enough that he started telling god that his weird child army would lose in his massive tome.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

The moon people gave Dick Tracy a device known as the Air Car. It was like a cylindrical basket of a cherry picker, only with no crane arm. It could fly in the air using magnetism. Dick Tracy and his buddies used air cars during their regular police work on Earth.

Listen it was The Jetsons but mixed with a down to earth noir police drama and yes that's weird.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

The Kins posted:

"America" was one book of a set of four from 1961. My grandmother had the set and used to read me the stories when I was little in the 1970's. The page you happened upon was from "Old Yeller". Travis was having Yeller (the dog) heard a pack of feral pigs so that Travis could trap them and brand them. Travis eventually falls into the heard of pigs and Yeller protects him, however is bitten by one of the pigs (who is rabid) It's basically this scene from the 1957 movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzwS38GK1s

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

The moon people gave Dick Tracy a device known as the Air Car. It was like a cylindrical basket of a cherry picker, only with no crane arm. It could fly in the air using magnetism. Dick Tracy and his buddies used air cars during their regular police work on Earth.

Listen it was The Jetsons but mixed with a down to earth noir police drama and yes that's weird.

What's weird is that George Jetson made enough money working on sprockets to afford his lifestyle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

What's weird is that George Jetson made enough money working on sprockets to afford his lifestyle.

The 2950s were a time of unprecendented economic growth following Galaxy War 2 and is a lifestyle that thanks to people like George voting to take away those benefits provided them us tri-millenials will never know.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Whybird posted:

Good thing we've moved on since th

Except fat people really are like that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Drunk Nerds posted:

The eagles should just be expunged from any future reprints

Edited out of the movies Lucas style. Gandalf just jumps off and flys away on nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Vermin do tremendous damage to crops and as such should not be portrayed as the good guys, a la Milne's work.