Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

AnEdgelord posted:

do we know when streamers and youtubers will be allowed to start putting out their videos?

No, not for sure. Personal guess is on Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Alikchi posted:

I could also do with fewer "ah drat, my wife's fat" events but I think what we're talking about mostly came out of a single CK2 DLC

Not only does that event happen all the time, but it seems out of character for the age.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The idea of valuing fatness because it indicated wealth and leisure was starkly regional and overall a minority. Fatness was overall still not well regarded, either on practical/aesthetic grounds like today, or moralistic ones. Many devout Catholics saw fatness as an outward manifestation of immorality because you had to be a glutton and a laggard to be fat, clearly.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Alikchi posted:

I could also do with fewer "ah drat, my wife's fat" events but I think what we're talking about mostly came out of a single CK2 DLC

Pretty sure that one is gender neutral and will pop up for female rulers when their husband can't fit through doors anymore as well.

(I really hope that the event where your character gets too fat for his castle and one of the options is to pay an obscene amount of money to make the doors larger returns, it's one of my favorites)

Best Friends posted:

Not only does that event happen all the time, but it seems out of character for the age.

I mean, you do have the option to say "lol no big deal" and isn't forced to do anything (e: unless you have certain traits?). The weighting on the options might be off for AI characters though, I don't know.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 22, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Someone on reddit put together a nice list of traits they’ve found so far.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Anno posted:

Someone on reddit put together a nice list of traits they’ve found so far.

Looking at them it doesn't look like there are many ways to lose prowess, or at least that we know of. This is good, because it kind of sucked that in CK2 if you lived a virtuous life you were destined to die in your first battle.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Small heads up, I had some things come up yesterday, so the CK3 thread will instead be finished this evening.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Coolguye posted:

The idea of valuing fatness because it indicated wealth and leisure was starkly regional and overall a minority. Fatness was overall still not well regarded, either on practical/aesthetic grounds like today, or moralistic ones. Many devout Catholics saw fatness as an outward manifestation of immorality because you had to be a glutton and a laggard to be fat, clearly.

So, obesity I am buying, but just judging by the portrayal of the female body in late medieval and Renaissance art, the “ideal” female body type was starkly different than modern or contemporary views.

And this body type I am discussing here is pretty far from ‘athletic.’

Of course, you are probably absolutely correct about male bodies and conceptions of attractiveness.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I was thinking the new dynasty renown system might open up some fun options for non-landed characters

Like maybe instead of giving your nephew a random county he could become a famous mercenary captain, or a renowned religious scholar, or go and become the personal physician to the emperor. I like the idea that your dynasty could become famous for a particular skill or activity.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Depression is inherited in-game now. Huh. Notably, it's also more deadly than drunkenness and giantism.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I thought of one more thing to try with enatic succession. Is there a way to form an enatic merchant republic? Or are republics hard coded to male only? The tribal decision requires male.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

abrosheen posted:

I thought of one more thing to try with enatic succession. Is there a way to form an enatic merchant republic? Or are republics hard coded to male only? The tribal decision requires male.

in CK2, MRs have a ton of hardcoded male-only stuff. The literal only way to have a female doge is to have a ruler form a MR by giving a lady mayor the ducal title, and that will not endure after she dies.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
You have to be male to start one, and I believe they can only be changed to cognatic after that (assuming your religion allows gender equality).

In that vein, I think I've only played one or two times without women's rights set to maximum in the starting rules, so it's trippy to me that someone would find a Calipha so novel. That's a feature I'm very excited for in CK3 though. The ability to further customize religion may finally allow me to let women into the Catholic priesthood (outside of Catharism) and maybe one day we will achieve a Mama in the Vatican.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PizzaProwler posted:

You have to be male to start one, and I believe they can only be changed to cognatic after that (assuming your religion allows gender equality).
you cannot

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I've done it before and played as a female leader of a merchant republic, so I don't know what's been happening for all of my games.

edit: my bad, that's only overridden by the status of women rule that I always play with. Oops.

PizzaProwler fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 22, 2020

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
A large part of the enjoyment I get from CK2 is making ahistorical things happen. I like to leave the rules as historical as possible and fight against them. So yeah, it's fun to establish a female caliphate in a world and time where that would be totally unheard of. Not sure why that's "trippy."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been farming concubine spawn and absorbing their lifeforce in order to extend my life. Last I checked I've made it to 72. Maybe I'll reach 100!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

abrosheen posted:

A large part of the enjoyment I get from CK2 is making ahistorical things happen. I like to leave the rules as historical as possible and fight against them. So yeah, it's fun to establish a female caliphate in a world and time where that would be totally unheard of. Not sure why that's "trippy."

No, I really like that play-style and I love that even CK2 supports so many ways to play. I wasn't sure how to phrase that so I ended up coming off as condescending, I apologize. I have to resort to rule changes to get a lot of the more ahistorical stuff going on because I'm bad at the game, so it surprises me when people encounter that stuff as really novel when it's so base-line for me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ahistorical is the most fun. Conquering the entire continent of Africa as Hausa, taking over Norway as Iceland or England as Ireland instead of vice versa. Eliminating Christianity as pagans Etc. Etc.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah I always play ahistorical, especially related to putting women in charge. :v: Ever since the ruler designer became a thing the only time I played as a male character was a nomad because that's hard locked. And then I just did it with Holy Fury so he reformed it to enatic clans. :v: I do think it would be neat if there was pushback from events for me doing this, which would encourage pushing such reforms in games rather than just popping it in the settings. Alternatively I look forward to modders adding in gay marriage and adoption somehow.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Eliminating Christianity as pagans Etc. Etc.

:hmmyes:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
It's interesting in itself that adoption isn't on the table, because fosterage and adoption are such crucial diplomatic and dynasty-building tools for a lot of cultures in the time period.

The usual guardianship/education thing isn't quite there, unless it works significantly differently in CK3/has some sort of other bonus that makes it so that you're actually willing to send heirs out.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 22, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

It's interesting in itself that adoption isn't on the table, because fosterage and adoption are such crucial diplomatic and dynasty-building tools for a lot of cultures in the time period.

It makes sense since a core gameplay loop is getting an heir by hook or by crook, sometimes being stuck with a lovely one, or losing through no heir, so I understand the devs reasons for not wanting it, even if I would like it for the reasons you stated.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Or they just haven't got around to adding it in for the base game. The ability to adopt an heir seems like something that could be tossed into the culture/technology system pretty easily.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I wonder if it ends up just encouraging gameplay that’s boring but people feel like they should do. Like every few in-game years you end up spending 10 minutes slowly paging through the character finder looking for the perfect heir to try to sway/adopt, even if the heir you have is good.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Anno posted:

I wonder if it ends up just encouraging gameplay that’s boring but people feel like they should do. Like every few in-game years you end up spending 10 minutes slowly paging through the character finder looking for the perfect heir to try to sway/adopt, even if the heir you have is good.

I mean, yes? Some people will always play this way. It's kind of like deliberately getting their "bad" heirs killed to play as their "good" character, changing their election laws, etc etc etc..... nevermind that the challenge of playing as an objectively worse character trying to put down his usurper brother is some of the most fun this game has available. Me, I'll play that scenario out and throw my entitled little poo poo of a younger brother into prison and strip his lands. Who's the golden boy now?

Nonetheless, that doesn't mean its a system that shouldn't be in the game, if they can make one that's fun/situational. These games would have zero appeal if everyone played the same way. That you have a choice with real consequences, that's the part we actually enjoy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Veryslightlymad posted:

I mean, yes? Some people will always play this way. It's kind of like deliberately getting their "bad" heirs killed to play as their "good" character, changing their election laws, etc etc etc..... nevermind that the challenge of playing as an objectively worse character trying to put down his usurper brother is some of the most fun this game has available. Me, I'll play that scenario out and throw my entitled little poo poo of a younger brother into prison and strip his lands. Who's the golden boy now?

Nonetheless, that doesn't mean its a system that shouldn't be in the game, if they can make one that's fun/situational. These games would have zero appeal if everyone played the same way. That you have a choice with real consequences, that's the part we actually enjoy.

I agree it’d be a good system to have in the game. I just think there’s something to be said for not encouraging bad gameplay. Sure some people will just ignore it, but plenty of people will feel compelled to play that way, too. Like I don’t ever micromanage my Stellaris population but tons of people have complain about doing so for years now.

Maybe having it as some sort of rare even chain that can pop up, or a possible event selection from a number of other relationship-related events.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, there's something to be said about that. Like, if you have the system, you don't want it to be so big that, to some people, it becomes the entire game, because eventually, you'll have to start making a different game than the one you actually want.

EDIT
Add to one of the learning lifestyles a teaching focus that encourages you to take on Wards, only let you adopt children that were actually your wards.

Add an infertility secret that you can learn through court physicians.... maybe it gives people a hook on you, but if you're open about it, it would let you select your own adopted heir......

If you have a spouse that you were "soulmates" with, and they die before issue, you can adopt an heir.....

If enough children tragically die by the time you become elderly, have an event chain to choose an heir.......

There's ways to do it.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 22, 2020

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

PizzaProwler posted:

No, I really like that play-style and I love that even CK2 supports so many ways to play. I wasn't sure how to phrase that so I ended up coming off as condescending, I apologize. I have to resort to rule changes to get a lot of the more ahistorical stuff going on because I'm bad at the game, so it surprises me when people encounter that stuff as really novel when it's so base-line for me.

It's all good, I was a little too thin skinned this morning. I like the way they implemented the rules screen to let you tailor the game to the playstyle you want.

I wonder what CK3 has in store for the power hungry women of the middle ages.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah as a way to balance things it should be rely on them being a child you are raising, or idk, you push the adoption button and it generates a random child with like a 10 year cooldown. Or for adults maybe if they are already your dynasty as the limiter?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
:siren:Crusader Kings 3 thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937583 :siren:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I started a CK2 game a few days ago because I'm so darn excited for 3. Early game was a little bumpy trying to remember all the different systems, but I've got a good thing going now toward the end of the timeline. I'm at about 80% of the power of the HRE and the emperor has some kingdoms I want. What's the best way to go about destabilizing the HRE from the outside?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Clanpot Shake posted:

I started a CK2 game a few days ago because I'm so darn excited for 3. Early game was a little bumpy trying to remember all the different systems, but I've got a good thing going now toward the end of the timeline. I'm at about 80% of the power of the HRE and the emperor has some kingdoms I want. What's the best way to go about destabilizing the HRE from the outside?

You could send your chancellor to sow dissent between the most powerful vassal and the emperor, perhaps they will rebel and weaken the emperor in the process. Or if you're able to get him excommunicated, that would also greatly help by making all his vassals like the emperor less.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Torrannor posted:

You could send your chancellor to sow dissent between the most powerful vassal and the emperor, perhaps they will rebel and weaken the emperor in the process. Or if you're able to get him excommunicated, that would also greatly help by making all his vassals like the emperor less.

I've always been unclear on Chancellor placement for that - if I put him on the emperor's county, will he tank relations with the emperor's kings? If I put him on one of the kings, will he tank relations between the king and the emperor?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've always been unclear on Chancellor placement for that - if I put him on the emperor's county, will he tank relations with the emperor's kings? If I put him on one of the kings, will he tank relations between the king and the emperor?

You put him on the capitol of the vassal you want to make discontent.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Eimi posted:

Yeah I always play ahistorical, especially related to putting women in charge. :v: Ever since the ruler designer became a thing the only time I played as a male character was a nomad because that's hard locked. And then I just did it with Holy Fury so he reformed it to enatic clans. :v: I do think it would be neat if there was pushback from events for me doing this, which would encourage pushing such reforms in games rather than just popping it in the settings. Alternatively I look forward to modders adding in gay marriage and adoption somehow.

Wait, wasn't the ruler designer a pre-order bonus, or am I misremembering that? It's been a fair few years now, so anything's possible.

Also, I can't preorder on the Paradox store, either. :( Are there any Aussies out there who have (recently) preordered on GMG, by any chance? I'd just go ahead and do it now, but I'm having my annual GMG account disappearance issues at the moment, so my support ticket will probably be open for another month, before it's finally resolved. (I mean, I could make a new account -and I will if I can preorder CK3- but I'd prefer to stay with the one account if possible, rather than making a burner for CK3)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, wasn't the ruler designer a pre-order bonus, or am I misremembering that? It's been a fair few years now, so anything's possible.

It was a DLC that came out a couple of months after release. It was the EU4 converter that was a pre-order bonus (for EU4).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Almost 1200 hrs in and I just won my first chess game against Death.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Major Isoor posted:

Also, I can't preorder on the Paradox store, either. :( Are there any Aussies out there who have (recently) preordered on GMG, by any chance? I'd just go ahead and do it now, but I'm having my annual GMG account disappearance issues at the moment, so my support ticket will probably be open for another month, before it's finally resolved. (I mean, I could make a new account -and I will if I can preorder CK3- but I'd prefer to stay with the one account if possible, rather than making a burner for CK3)

Yeah, you Aussies are always screwed with your pretty stupid laws regarding video games. You should really be using vpn and pretending your American or Canadian.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Technowolf posted:

Almost 1200 hrs in and I just won my first chess game against Death.

i've won 3 or 4 but failed the immortal questline like 50 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, you Aussies are always screwed with your pretty stupid laws regarding video games. You should really be using vpn and pretending your American or Canadian.

Luckily it hasn’t been as bad lately. Maybe only a game a year (I’m not counting like, pedo anime games as real).

I think the main one that hurts is left 4 dead 2 at the time.

This I feel is just a ratings things like is it m or ma. It won’t be banned though