Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Should we maybe have a list of the DLC with a little summary of them? I remember when I started reading the other thread I was kind of frustrated there wasn't an easy to find comprehensive list of the DLC available and the opinions on them.
I mean, I'll do a little list with some summaries but I haven't been playing as long as some of you so I don't know as much:

The Reaper's Due - Prosperity system, more interesting diseases and epidemics for flavor and roleplaying, The Plague
Conclave - More vassal and council mechanics and management, favors, improved education
Legacy of Rome - Factions, revolts, retinues and a lot of Byzantine flavor & roleplaying stuff
Sunset Invasion - Aztec invasion, pretty much it
The Old Gods - Earlier start date, play pagans (Germanic, Zoroastrians, Slavics, etc), more flavor for rebel events, adventurers
Sons of Abraham - Tons of religious flavor stuff (and allows you to play a Jewish ruler) for Jews, Christians and Muslims
Charlemagne - Another earlier start date, special story if you play as ol' Chuck, plus new cultures
Way of Life - Enables character focus, basically the biggest roleplaying expansion they've introduced, tons of new interactions and events
Monks & Mystics - Secret socities, satanists, artifacts, another huge roleplaying expansion
Jade Dragon - Interactions with China (off the map), new CBs
Sword of Islam - Enables playing Muslim rulers
Rajas of India - Enables playing Buddist, Jain and Hindu rulers, also you can play in India
Horse Lords - Nomads, new cultures
The Republic - Republics!! That's it

After buying a ton of expacs, I probably wouldn't like to play without at least Monks, Way of Life, and Reaper's Due. (for me) they add the most flavor and roleplaying and I get a lot out of them. I don't have Conclave yet, but it's another one that adds a lot of complexity and makes the game more challenging and dynamic. I also like Old Gods and Charlemagne for the start dates, and Jade Dragon has a TON of fun stuff to play with (especially if you just say gently caress it and unrestrict Chinese interactions, or just like the eastern part of the map more).
I'm not gonna say anything about Holy Fury yet since we all know about it and we know it has about a hundred features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Torrannor posted:

I reserved an extra post just to write about DLCs (and mods), since people so often ask about them. I just updated it, take a look. It just took a bit of time to write all this. I will also add to the list of LPs in the OP, and would really appreciate somebody writing a summary of the good CK2 mods so I can add that as well.

Sorry I got impatient! That's a great write up, thank you!

I have to agree with PEEEVED about Reaper's Due! There's a ton of stuff with the prosperity system and the immortal questline (it's so hard to pull off but when you do it feels AMAZING) and the epidemics actually add a lot to gameplay. If there's a huge outbreak of Smallpox in a neighboring duchy, I probably won't want to press my claims over there for awhile until that's gone, since the duchy will be less prosperous and I'll lose a lot more of my levy to attrition. It might not seem big, but it does add a lot of roleplay and flavor which I really, REALLY like.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

1stGear posted:

These borders are violence

Oh poo poo if you wanna see some violence pull up a seat buddy

This is 300 years of gameplay.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Here's a fun little event: playing Sigurdur Ring, join a warrior lodge, I eventually have a prompt to invite my oldest son. That seems to be going well until suddenly he comes to me wanting to be a scholar which is bullshit because he has like 2 learning but 10 marshal so I forbid him to leave the lodge.

Instead he just runs away and steals a ton of gold!! You ungrateful poo poo!!

Well he wasn't my heir so gently caress him. I was gonna give you a jarldom, you turd.

E: It's Ragnar Lodbrok, he ran away and just got his Lodbrok title.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

V for Vegas posted:

Yeah I thought I would hate movement locking in EU4 but it actually works well.

It's been working out pretty well for me when I'm fighting tribal neighbors and their allies; just swoop in with my big dick stack of dudes and pick off all their 100 man stacks because they can no longer back away.

Is giant a new trait? I just got a daughter with that. Also another daughter turned out to be a Blessed child or whatever, is 12 with insane stats and quick+attractive.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Can you still get demon child events if you have Satan worshippers off? I've only had it happen when I was playing with devil worshippers, but I usually turn em off so I don't end up with a huge court of insane possessed maniacs.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I've had the ai put Theodoric on the French throne before, so it definitely can happen!

Speaking of ai, though, has anyone had the ai reform a religion yet? I've had it happen before holy fury, and right now me and Saxony both have two of the holy sites. If the ai will reform I need to do it like... now, but if not I could wait until the viking age.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Friend of mine had Saxony reform Germanic last night. They had control of Saxony, Denmark, Norway and Sweden for decades before he could, so he was probably missing the piety or MA.

Aha! Thanks all for the answers (I didn't realize you could turn off ai reformation, oops). Hope Saxony is ready to eat poo poo.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

lol oops

RIP Ragnarr you were the petty king of Viken with lovely stats and then died, having only earned a bloodline by it being programmed in.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I've noticed something weird after my last guy died; I had all his kids marriage restricted before he died, but I didn't pair most of them off before he bit it. Now those kids are landed, aren't restricted in marriage, but they aren't getting married. One guy is 30, a jarl, and unmarried even though it's his ambition.

Did I find a bug? Or does the ai not like any of their marriage options? I'm kinda annoyed, I'm gonna have to redistribute these titles when my incel moron brothers die.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

:yeshaha:

Ulfhildr was such a loving badass. Daughter of Sigurdr Ring, ruled for 51 years, reformed the Germanic faith, killed 82 poor motherfuckers, led a legendary journey to the Byzantine Empire and came back alive, never lost a duel in her loving life, outlived all of her kids, and was just all around one of the coolest rulers I've ever played. I mean, goddamn;

And that's after losing quite a few traits...

Oh, and if your female ruler isn't married when she earns her bloodline, all your kids will get it (at least if they're of your dynasty). So, uh, get stabbing/divorcing.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Here's something loving stupid: I'm playing the king of Sweden and my wife is queen of Denmark, I have an inherited claim on Denmark that I'm not going to use. We have an alliance, poo poo is cool.

Then one of her vassals starts a revolt to put me on the throne. I don't want that, I'm at my vassal limit as it is, so I join my wife's war. To suppress a revolt in my favor. Now she's mad at me for being a traitor, but happy I joined her war. This is so dumb.

vv ugh you're totally right!! I didn't think about that.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 17, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Aaah it happened AGAIN, these morons keep trying to usurp my wife's throne for me. I DON'T WANT DENMARK YOU TURDS. This time she called me into the war, so she doesn't have an opinion malus against me.

Oh and I've been getting crazy poo poo like this:

for ten years but I haven't seen Aztecs invade at all.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I got sick of my Sweden game because my really awesome dual-bloodline sons got landed as kings of encroaching nations and I only had lovely heirs, so I started an African pagan game as the high chief of Songhay. Never played African, so I'm excited to try it out with all the HF expansion stuff.

Immediately when I start I get an event where I fall in love with the beautiful wife of my vassal on my own wedding night. I slowly woo her during hunting parties and gatherings, and she falls in love with me...eventually I get the chance to save her from her cruel husband by dueling him. I kill him and take her as my concubine.

Goty.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It seems like there's a small chance of destroying whatever holding while you're raiding. As germanic pagan I destroyed at least one of each type of holding, spread out over years. Just find where they have a lot of temples and go nuts.

I raid Kent annually if I'm playing Germanic.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Oh, also question: what message setting do I have to tweak to stop the endless flood of 'Elder so and so now favors X as your Heir' popups, because the elders are constantly changing their minds since none of the candidates are of age. I cannot find whatever it is in the menu.

A vassal formed a high chief title too so now I get HIS flood of elders changing their mind every drat minute.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I'm starting to feel like the warrior lodge power that makes it more likely to capture your enemy is op. I keep winning wars because I nabbed the other side's king.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Successively playing more and more badass pagan women. My enatic-Romuva-Lithuania game is going GREAT

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Fat Samurai posted:

Yesterday I ordered 5 kids killed in less than I year so I could trade a county outside of my duchy for an adjacent one inside it.

Pretty Borders are important

A vassal killed my favorite son and chosen heir, so I imprisoned him, killed all of his children and siblings, then revoked his title and threw him in the oubliette where he died five years later.

Do NOT mess up my succession plans, fool.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

moush posted:

Is it worth picking up this game on the steam sale to someone new to the genre? I love boardgames and the only other game I've played even close to like this is Civ.

I would say yes, because that's what I did and I loving love the game, even though the only strategy games I've played before are Age of Mythology/Empires. It's not too expensive just to pick up and play around with to see if you like it.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Could you invite her to carousing and then eat her (if you already have the cannibal trait)?

I also killed a king of France awhile back, leading to them having a huge revolt for elective succession, and ever since France has had a new king every five or so years because they keep murdering each other for the throne.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Eventually you can find a key that opens it and you'll get some gold. You'll find the key while raiding also.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It does change to open succession, I did Enatic Clans in my Romuva game. It makes it pretty cool, I had four awesome daughters vying for the throne and being unbelievably badass.

I started a new Africa game since I messed my older one up, I have nine amazing children...except for this one dipshit with a 0 in every stat but intrigue. Guess which one of my kids tries to kill me? Thanks for letting me banish you, idiot.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Tbh I don't usually have faction revolts because I micromanage the poo poo out of my vassal's opinions. Everyone must like me.

or else

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Want to be made a saint? Just get all seven virtues.

What, like it's hard? :smaug:

Had some REAL dumb poo poo happen in this game, though. Isabelle died at like 70, and her young adult son inherited, only to rule for two fuckin years before he dies of 'a weak body' so his NEWBORN SON inherits and I gotta sit through a goddamn regency for 16 years. :mad:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Torrannor posted:

As for the gold and artifacts, your current char should inherit those once dad dies.

Not if he's not in your court. Say goodbye to your poo poo!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Uhhh I feel like my Knights Hospitaller are getting too aggressive... (on the other hand, if they keep it up I'll be able to form Outremar real soon).

My current guy has had 'Malaise' for like fifteen years, it just won't go away. What the hell? He hasn't had any other illness since that showed up, though..

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Hey every time I close the goddamn game all of my message settings get reset, so I get about 20 pointless messages a turn due to my giant goddamn empire.

Is anyone else having this problem.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Cantorsdust posted:

Get the 3.0.1.1 beta hotfix. You have to opt into it in Steam though.

Thanks, that was seriously driving me nuts.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

How often does the AI put ol Theo on the throne? I swear this is the second game I've seen it in.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Does the demon child event fire if you don't have Satanists on? Or is it just super rare regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

KDdidit posted:

Hit some kind of relic jackpot in my current game. It’s around 840 and as Sicily I’ve run away with the Crown of Thorns, had a councilor find the Harp of David, and mysteriously had the Imperial Diadem appear in my treasury when some nobody vassal count in Africa died. Too bad I ditched the HRE around 40 years ago, guess I may have to take it over so I can wear the crown.

Last Norse game I played I kept stealing all the cool Catholic artifacts. Piece of the True Cross? Mine. Finger of St. John? You bet I got that. Holy Prepuce? It's mine, bitch. I don't know if it was just because I kept specifically targeting churches/theocracies, but it was pretty funny watching them pile up.