Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Any major bugs after the new patch/expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Funky Valentine posted:

Forming a custom empire is still a stupidly tall order compared to custom kingdoms.

yeah, the prestige requirement is way too much

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dwesa posted:

There was a hotfix patch today:

Maybe it will fix your problem before you'll mess with your save.

It's year 875 in my game, China is expansionist, it already controls Tibet and some Central Asia while Abbasids are its tributaries, I wonder what will happen in next hundred years :shrug:

In my current game they control Tibet and like half of India and some Persia, besides having most nomad khans as tributaries. Its really unstoppable. But the Abbasid blob is also bigger than ever, so they been fighting each other for a while (China always wins)

Im playing zoroastrian, managed to form the kingdom on Transoxania, so I was exactly between these 2 huge blobs, and eventually Ive ran out of places to conquer around: except for some worthless nomad land to the north, everything was either Western Protectorate or Arabian Empire

So I swear to the Western Proctorate cause it allows me to fight Khorastan, which holds a bunch of zoroastrian holy sites. Its working so far, but I have no idea how am I going to break free later, the protectorate seems really unbeatable

edit: at least the chinese governor doenst seems to care about my religion much

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dwesa posted:

Probably just wait for civil war in China, you might break free without opposition.

Is that an event thing? This is only my second game after Jade Dragon

Also, I dont know why but in 110 years I didint manage to convert a single province to zoroastrian. MA is low, around 25%, but still I the game always says I have a chance to convert, usually ~15%, but it never happens. Never, not once, in 110 years, during which of course lots of different guys tried it in lots of different provinces, for years and years

Could be just bad luck but it sure seems weird

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tormented posted:

Base chance of conversion through a Court Chaplain is around 80 years having a MA at 25% doubles the base chance so that is 160 years so that's about right.

Getting the MA to over 40% will bring that back down to 80 years alone.

yeah, I was looking at the wrong number. Its usually aroung 15% to convert a subject, only around 1% to convert the county. Im not used playing with such low MA and right now there aint much I can do to raise it

I started this game to see hows the new religious stuff in zoroastrian, but it looks like it Ill take a while

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's genuinely hilarious that societies are the only guaranteed way to convert religion in CK2

wait, how does that works? I havent messed with societies much, besides lucifer's own when I want to go evil

edit: sorry, supposed to edit, not double post

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Oh, so nothing to zoroastrians

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You goofs forgot to mention that religious cults also get to seed their religion at the highest rank, which is still, even with them broken, the best way to do it as a tiny, weak religion.

Sad but true

Does that works for zoroastrian? The only society available, AFAIK, is Hermetic

I already got a holy site and Im on my way for a second one (then it will get hard, cause all the others belong to the loving huge Arabian Empire), but I had to swear to the Western Protectorate in order to do that, so I can no longer holy war. That makes my options to improve MA very limited. The fact Im a vassal of a liege with a different faitth also makes the holy sites only "partially controlled", it seems (I was never in this situation - such a tiny weak religion and a vassal to another faith - so everything related is kinda new to me, even though Ive played hundreds of hours of CK2)

Also some big nomad khan to the north follows some zoroastrian heresy, and since they have a lot more provinces than I do, zoroastrian became the heresy, which seems to make matters worse

Currently thats my situation: 25% MA, cant convert a single county, and cant holy war

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 22, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Alright, seems effective.

And interesting, I never falsely confessed to another faith either, it will be my first

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Finally I got independent from thw Western Proctetorate

One of the longest and hardest wars Ive ever fought in this game. I dragged all big vassals with me(mostly all north India), so it was like ,35K (for us) vs 25K, and China was in civil war., so no help. But WP has Deccan Empire, Tibet Empire and numerous Khans as tributaries, and they all go in, inexplicably eager to kill and die for the massive assholes stealing from us all.

They kept attacking from all sides with big stacks, I had to split my armies to be able to defend them on all fronts while trying to siege some of their land. I lst a number of battles, I had to resort to mercs sometimes, and it took almost 20 years of war and - I not gonna lie - some reloads

Strangely the war seemed to boost my ruler life expectancy: he was loving 65 already when it started, he won the war with 82. Lost 2 heirs to diseases while the old fucker refused to die, fortunately I still had a 16 years old daughter with decent stats to nominate (elective here), my last daughter actually

Right after victory, I still had time to take advantage of the old man massive prestige and create an empire. He dies a bit after, the daughter takes in, all is going alright. Zoroastrian now has 65% MA, provinces are starting to convert

But by then China civil war is over, an expansionist emperor takes in, and.. I get an ultimatum to become a WP tributary. Fuckin fuckers

Thats where I stopped. Dont know what I will do yet. Im a lot stronger now, 20K. And WP is smaller than ever, after losing most of his vassals on my revolt, they are down to around 10K. But then they will be summoning those magical 50K stacks arent they

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 27, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Honky Dong Country posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to China

To be more clear I'm saying you're basically hosed. You're looking at another big war. Generally if you're close enough to China to get forced into being a tributary you'll want to always keep a peace deal or imperial marriage with them. Otherwise you're gonna have no choice but to submit or fight eventually.

I just won an independence revolt against them fuckers, I haven't got enough time to do any of that

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you want to keep your state intact and try building up for another independence war, you can just surrender. If you just plain wanna be free, do a blaze of glory and to hell with the consequences.

That's what I intend to try. Being their tributary is better than being their vassal cause I'm still mostly independent, but as far as I remember the tribute is very heavy and I like and need the huge income I have from my silk road provinces (to be able to recruit loads of mercs any time I want and to be able to improve my levies building up my provinces. I need that, I'm surrounded by very big hostile guys, from the beginning of this game). I'm through with paying them bastards

But I wonder if I can win. I gues it's going to depend on how many chinese troops they summon and how well they play them. The AI is dumb and they will have to travel through all Tibet to get to me, so playing smart I might be able to make it. If they don't bring all the tributaries into the war again, in this case I will probably lose

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lurksion posted:

I take it you've never seen a full on actual invasion yet? Expect 100k+ that don't suffer attrition. Hope you have some good generals and unit composition!

This part of the world is kinda new to me.

But since Im a pussy and I dont play ironman, I took a different approach: Ive reloaded an earlier save and quickly built my grace with the emperor with everything I had (eunuchs, girls, artifacts). Then I murdered my husband and got myself a chinese man

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Disillusionist posted:

What are fun ways to play a Satanic ruler? I just joined as a 16-year old; my previous experiences all came with older rulers who died before I had much of a chance to mess around with the mechanics.

Are there any negative repercussions to being in a Satanic cult (or any religious cult) as a ruler? I imagine my Court Chaplain can't have me killed. I'm playing as the Fylkir, too, so I am my own religious head.

You are going to have a lot of repercussions when you start doing the missions and using the powers. People will hate you hard

Buit in my experience, this poo poo is so overpowered you dont really need to care

edit: also you tend to get all kinds of bad, sinful traits

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 28, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Don't know, don't want to know :psyduck:

Use Tainted Touch to give people black syphilpox. Use demonic possession to force your rival to do everything you tell him, like revoking all his titles. Use Demonic Impregnation to birth the literal antichrist.

Also dark healing, the most sure way to get rid of any disease. Also the fact you can use tainted touch on foreign rulers you are at war with. Also the fact dark points build easily and quickly, you can be high priest in no time. And numerous events that will give you stats boosts . And consuming your children (live more and get rid of unwanted heirs)

There are drawbacks for sure, but if you keep it up, the powers and bonuses will surely outweigh those (although I never played satanic as a catholic, being excommunicated is bad)

Satanic is really overpowered, imo. I love it, but is almost cheat mode with a few consequences

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 28, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

If your council can vote on war declarations, then your council members cannot join factions against you, except for the "increase council power" faction.

Wow, I never knew that

edit: elective monarchy can be the easiest succession mode, in ideal conditions. In my current game I have an empire title I created, so the only electors are the dukes on my original kingdom. Since this kingdom is only 4 duchys, I arranged things to hold 3 of them myself. This way I can choose whoever I want as heir at any time. Of course I get some "too many held duchys" malus (-10) and a "elector titles hold" malus too (-15), but thats pretty manageable

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

Yes, you can cheese elective monarchy if you stay small enough. But if you grow larger, this will break down at some point. Unless you do very gamey things like keeping one province deliberately outside you empire so that it's de jure kingdom doesn't drift into your empire.

Hum, Ill start to have problems when more land starts dejure drifting to my empire, but that takes a long time to happen

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lurksion posted:

#6 overrides #5 though, which can be amusing.

Also one "buff" that conclave councils actually provide over base game is that in base game, some law changes (don't remember which ones) requires all count+ to have a positive opinion of you. In large empires, this can be near impossible. Conclave greatly simplifies that into the rest of the council system.

Succession laws change still require that, even with conclave on

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
With conclave (I think its required, but Im not sure) you can also use favors to force electors to support your nomination, which also makes managing elective easier

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oh dear me posted:

I never dare owe anyone a favour because they instantly ask for my best county. And I never seem to be owed favours except by landless foreigners of no use whatsoever. What am I doing wrong?

I can also buy favors (they not always accept, but mostly do, when you have good relations)

Thats how I usually get mine

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 1, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The sad part is when you fall into a regency and the fucker bumps council power all the way up- again

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

The offspring naming system is worth Holy Fury's price of admission alone. As boring as it is I love seeing how far I can get with the roman numerals.

What changed in offspring naming in Holy Fury?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I'm pretty sure you could only randomize or customize it before. Now there are options to name for a parent, grandparent, or random further ancestor. Increasing the roman numerals I think was only possible if the kid happens to generate that same name as their parent. Now you can guarantee it every time.

Oh, I think thats been around at least since jade dragon

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Thanks for this! I'll have to use that thing more often. I tend to forget about it until I run out of courtiers.

I've always wondered what the cognate would have been to the character finder back then. It makes a little bit of sense that nobles would know other nobles even if they're pretty far-flung, but like for instance how would a Swedish count know that some lowborn courtier in Aquitaine is really good at bookkeeping or spying?

We can know all there is to know about any nation or anyone on it by clicking around at in the map (and ledger), even without the finder. And there's no cognate for it either

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think is about time

CK2 is legit one of the best games ever imo, and Holy Fury is great. But is time to move on to CK3

Theres so much you can do by adding new mechanics in DLC

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sindai posted:

There's a lot of stuff that could be better integrated together and a few partially redundant systems that could be removed when the game no longer has to support every possible combination of DLC.

Also Imperator has roughly barony-sized provinces so CK3 probably could, even if barons still had to be unplayable and have simplified AI for performance reasons.

Yeah, pretty much. CK2 evolved tremendously though all the DLC, a CK3 could reimplement the great ideas they had in much more tight, organic way. And it could also use a better, improved engine

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Something happened to the Karlings lately? I dont think Ive saw a single one in my current game, in 300 years

Also the muslin blobs seems more stable than ever. The Arabian Empire in my game only broke because of a chinese invasion. Than it blobbed back in 100 years or so and it took another invasion to break it again. I saw it ruled by a 6 year old who wads universally hated by his vassals (and I mean -100 relations) and still not a single civil war broke

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oh and plus the republic firehose of money is really starting to get going so before long I'll also be able to abuse the heretics to take their land without consequence.

How do you abuse the heretics? Its the only society available to zoroastrians besides satanists and so I usually join if I can, but so far I found it kinda underwelming

Alikchi posted:

I've discovered that achievements can be nice, but this game is way more fun if you go classic and are willing to cheat when CK2 becomes tedious or stupidly unfair. It's also nice to have a couple of saves going so when one is boring you can switch to the other. I'm making a lot of progress towards 1444 in my two saves and I'm excited to export to EU4!

Thats how I play to. Ironman has its charm, it makes every decision count, it makes everything so tense. But its too stressful to me, sincerly. And I love to be able to cheat a bit when I want. CK2 is a sandbox game to me

edit: that also why I love all the rule options we have nowdays so I can set the game how I like and I dont have to endure poo poo I hate (like coalitions)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 14, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I was talking about Catholic heretics, not a society. Sorry.

Oh, Ive somehow read it like "hermetics", sorry

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Well now that I know what you were reading, how are the Hermetics underwhelming? They provide a lot of really good bonuses, especially when you build up a good treasury of inventions and magnum opuses. The ability to cure stressed and depressed at will is real good too, and you can use the apprentice minor title to make sure your heir gets a head start too. The cure potion is really good and allows you to give a lot of your kids the diligent trait for free (that event where you can give them ambitious but make them a rival, or give them diligent in exchange for stressed, or patient in exchange for that lovely Out of Patience malus). You can give them all diligent and then immediately cure stressed.

Hermetics own.

Well, compared to the satanics they are

But I really haven't explored some of the options you listed, Ill look more carefully into them

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jedit posted:

The Hermetics are boring but insanely strong. Satanists are fun but not insanely strong, although they usually manage the "insane" bit.

I dunno, the satanists have powers to cure any disease, make vassals 100% loyal, kill people with diseases, make you almost immortal, to name a few, plus a ton of events that give you strong bonuses

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

doingitwrong posted:

New Dev Diary. They’re adding Wonders of the World to the game. You can take generations to build a Cathedral. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-112-wonderful-news.1152921/

That post is from 2017 ?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

Noooo? Don't scare me like that, it's a brand new post. The Paradox dev joined in 2017, that dev diary is from today.

Yeah, you are right. Sorry

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nut to Butt posted:

Has anyone else noticed semi-serious lag when a lot of portraits are on screen? It began with Holy Fury. Dynasty view, plots with lots of participants, peace negotiations with large coalitions- these are a few of the instances where it's very noticeable.

I'm wondering if it's just particular to me/my hardware, or if anyone else has noticed something similar.

It happens here but just right after I start the game. Then it goes away

The only good thing about constantly being jihaded in the holy land is they cough up pretty good money when you beat their rear end and they lose.

E: oh I read that wrong, the only thing you're getting is grief lmao

Really? I fought 4 jihads (2 sunni & 2 shia) and a crusade in my current game and I didint get much after any of them

Is only crusades that have been improved in Holy Fury? Crusades are really quite different now (and stronger) but I didint noticed anything different in any other kind of great holy war, including jihads

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 18, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Most wars have the aggressor pay out cash if they lose. Every jihad against me I've ever defeated always netted me several hundred.

Yeah, I did got a few hundreds for each (not several, but I dont remember the values now), but that aint "good money" to me. Specially since jihads and crusades are usually pretty long wars

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

It all depends on the wealth of the nations in question. I know I've whipped jihads to the tune of around 600 or so in reparations. Which ain't too bad considering I usually have holy orders and my retinues do most the heavy lifting when it comes to swatting enemy stacks before they come together too hard.

It's certainly not a huge payoff, but it's enough to fund some upgrades or pay for a good chunk of a new castle or something.

I dont usually get that much but even that is not that great either.

Yesterday I had to defend the 3rd Sunni jihad for Arabia. I though "well, this time is gonna be quick" since Ive pretty much destroyed the Sunni, who are now down to Abyssinia, Hispania and a few scattered lands. Nope: still they managed to produce a good bunch of10K, 8K, 5K stacks. Nothing I cant handle easily, of course. But still, since Arabia is huge and they come in waves, it means a long war, 2-3 years chasing them around. I got around 450G for it, which is much less than what it costed to recover my retinues back to 17K after the war

Also, for the first time I saw a crusade for Byz. I though it was just gonna to steal some land from it: instead it created a Latin Empire in Thrace, which caused all the byz empire vassals to become independent. The empire still exists, though, now with the name of the dynasty, but with no vassals. I made my life a lot easier, since I was just about to start taking them

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 19, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oh okay that is an event thing then? That's kind of what I thought since you can even holy war the Orthodox as a Catholic.

Seems to be a new Holy fury thing, I had never seem it before either

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I love landing family members, I like having the most prestigious family in the world, with numerous high level titles and all. I love to get a random distant cousin who is heir to nothing and make him a king, just because I can

Is trouble too, but I just like to see my dynasty grow in number and power

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 20, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Actually after I get an empire, usually the game becomes about making fun and cool vassals, with our without my family

Like, in my current game I made Jerusalem a merchant kingdom and packed it with all the jews I could find. Also, after I conquered the sunni world, I got an Abbasid to convert to zoroastrian and then made him King of Syria, cause I also like having famous families as vassals. Currently Syria is run by an Abbasid queen married to her brother

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Also my strategy to exploit elective worked out wonderfully: I was king of Transaxonia when I created a custom empire and set it to elective. Because of that, the only electors are the transaxionian dukes. So all I had to do was to get all the duchys but one for myself and I then can choose whoever I want as heir anytime

The empire got huge (I have 17 vassal kingdoms, a realm size of around 1200), hundreds years have passed but still only the dukes of Transaxionia counts as electors, so it still works. And nobody minds (only with the vassals in Transaxionia I get a -30 "too many elector titles" malus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I finally became the Saoshyant, which was the main goal of my game. Not as cool as I though it would be (I dont know why but I though it would make me the zoroastrian religious head), but the bloodline you get is nice

But maybe Ill stick around to fight the mongols. Or try to invade China. Have anyone ever tried that? How does it works?