Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think you can mouseover things to see the succession type (I think the coat of arms? I was sure it's written somewhere).

That doesn't work before the game starts, for some weird reason.

quote:

More specifically, the Byzantine succession type is tied to the new, unique Byzantine government type, so you should just need to click the government map view to find it.

You might be able to check for government type, though, yeah.

Also:

I love this silly-rear end game.

dude just became pope a month ago, so he was probably excommunicated before hand, but unfortunately this is an ironman game so I can't go back and check a) why and b) how the gently caress the Cardinals voted for him anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

big dyke energy posted:

Can you still get demon child events if you have Satan worshippers off? I've only had it happen when I was playing with devil worshippers, but I usually turn em off so I don't end up with a huge court of insane possessed maniacs.

Yes, demon children can come from the Sons of Abraham random event as well as from the Satanist society head's power. I think there are some slight differences in what happens depending on which way they come from but IDK for sure.

Nut to Butt posted:

The mod they ripped off had intelligible options like 1 sea zone or 2 sea zones, so they obviously couldn't do that.

Some sea zones are bigger than others (in the Med especially) so that wouldn't have been entirely fair.

1000 distance is a LOT, though, it's around the distance from Barcelona to Cyprus.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The Equality and Enatic Clans religion features, as well as the Bon and West African pagan religions, allow female rulers to take male concubines by default.

There's nothing in the script that suggests that the equality laws or game rules will allow it, though (interestingly enough, it's possible to set up a society so members of a certain rank can take concubines, even if their religion wouldn't ordinarily allow it).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

High Chiefs (duke tier) get called Kings (Petty King of X) in some cultures, but they won't count for the ambition - it's gotta be a full-fledged King.

That said, if you have the Become King ambition you can use the Subjugation CB even if you've already used your once-a-lifetime subjugation, so go nuts.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

MaxieSatan posted:

Man, I did the "Forge Bloodline" thing for the first time today, and I really wish it was a little less opaque what the event-chain ones do. I'm not even sure if the choices I got were tied to the goals I was pursuing or if I just did a completely different thing than my original intent.

If you want to be 100% less opaque, someone put together a list on the Paradox forums, but otherwise it's basically what Strudel said. Once you know what event chain options there are it's pretty clear which choices lead to what.

(also the Benevolence bloodline chain is currently bugged to hike your revolt risk through the roof, apparently, so, um, don't pursue that one).

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

Anyone else's non-pagan rulers dying constantly in battle? Played a Catholic Duke and as the Byzantine Emperor and each game if I let them lead armies they'd get killed in single combat after a few battles. Over the course of the both games of 11 rulers, 10 died in battle and the longest they lasted was 6 years. Personal combat skill didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Pagans are fine though, even with low personal combat skill. Makes me think a battlefield duelling event is out of whack as that is what seems to kill me everytime

Battle is a lot more of a meatgrinder in 3.0 for some reason, I've had to replace a ton of commanders playing as a Catholic king, and it took several tries to get my Eleanor of Aquitaine start off the ground because she kept being killed or incapped in battle. It's not just battlefield duelling, even just the random deaths or comas seem more common than I remember. That said, I've had a few that managed to stick around once they improved personal combat skill through experience or items. End of the day it's still RNG and sometimes the dice come up snake eyes.

I think Pagan warrior societies give powers that buff your survivability (and I hope someone mods in knightly orders or some other warrior societies that do similarly), but I don't know if there's anything more than that (haven't really looked at the code though).

In other news, guess who forgot to turn off Sunset Invasion and had the Aztecs arrive in 1189 (shortly after the Mongools actually, yay for the Delayed Random game rule)? Although actually the Aztecs aren't the real problem, after conquering England, Scotland, Normandy and Portugal they got ground down enough by defensive pacts and a Crusade that I could probably take them on my own at this point.

The REAL problem is that the goddamn Kaiser, who is second only to the Mongols in levy size, took them as a tributary state so now they can call him in against basically anything that might ever get rid of them, including vassal revolts. I guess I'll just have to get used to the smell of burning sacrifices wafting over the Channel.

edit: oh boy, Aztec England just got a crusade called against them, I can't WAIT to find out what happens when they call the Kaiser into it.

answeredit: the Kaiser joined the crusade so now the Aztecs only have Wales and Galicia left, score.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 18, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, what exactly determines which lord an heir will go for if they're the son of two counts under two separate dukes?

Usually, it'll be "whichever lord is the liege of the first title they inherit". Once someone already HAS a liege lord, I'm pretty sure they'll never be inherited out of that realm UNLESS they inherit a title that equals or outranks their top liege.

So whoever dies first, they'll inherit that county, let's call it County A, then when the other parent dies the son will inherit THEIR county, County B, into the same realm as A (unless Realm B has the Regulated Inheritance law active, which would block the heir from inheriting County B since they'd be a foreigner - it would then, I assume, go to whoever was next in line.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

There is literally only a single bloodline in the entire game that is both patri and matrilineal and there is no way to create one yourself, where I tested it out with a cosmopolitan, equal rights pagan faith and it was just patri :psyduck:

Cool beans, Aliénor de Poitou, in the post 1122 start

The wiki is actually wrong on that. I started an Eleanor of Aquitaine game (you have to pick her during ONE SPECIFIC MONTH in 1138 after she inherits from her father but before she marries Louis) specifically for that reason and it turns out her bloodline is only matrilineal, and since Aquitaine surprisingly doesn't start with Cognatic succession or at least high tolerance tech/SoW laws it's kind of a pain to keep it actually attached to the ruling line. In my game I've collected a decent number of other bloodlines instead (Ragnar and Boleslaw, and I also founded the patron of the arts one with a subsequent king) but it's still kinda irritating. On the other hand it's not really THAT great a bloodline, 5 general opinion and 5 PCS.

Also irritating: that the younger sister I won a Crusader kingdom for (granted, it was in Finland so maybe the weather drove her crazy)
a) started murdering my kids in response,
b) stopped murdering my kids one son too early, so I'm stuck with my inbred lunatic third son rather than one of the TWO genius princes my second wife gave me after my first wife (also my first cousin, once removed, THANKS AI, I forget to tick that checkbox ONE TIME) died of smallpox.

No I don't care that you died of depression after you got caught murdering my second son, chop chop, get to it. Haunt this one if you have to.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Crusader Kings 2: THE WRONG KID DIED

Oh, no, the right kids died, just NOT ENOUGH OF THEM, which is probably even funnier.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean... why do you think she stopped, exactly

The goal here seems fairly obvious and she achieved it and then some

She would have inherited Aquitaine back with only four more murders and I'm pretty sure that was the actual goal but I'm sure her ghost is happy with this outcome too, I would have been PISSED if my sibling got to rule the South of France and I got frigging Finland.

(plus my new lunatic heir somehow has 10 base intrigue and she probably just couldn't off him in time)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Ooooh ok that makes sense, so the alert is just 'hey this is in your turf not in your direct control, maybe you should fix that' then.

I think the alert you're seeing is probably "hey, you can create a new title and be Duke of X/King of X because of this land you or your vassals control". If you click the alert it'll take you to a screen where you can create the title, but your annoying vassal will still hold the actual land (that is, the county title).

If that's a problem for you, then yeah, scheme to inherit the actual county title or get a claim on it or manipulate the vassal into rebelling so you can beat him down and revoke it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

So the cool crusade prep mechanic is catholic only? Cause I just had my reformed germanic religious head shout we're going to france now without any fanfare.

Yes, it's Catholic only, everybody else's stayed the same.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

1) You need to have at least 5000 personal prestige. I don't think there's any requirement beyond that (I think you're also blocked if the character already has an ambition bloodline on them, even if they didn't create it themselves, but I'm not 100% on that).

2) Some of the reasons aren't immediately obvious - if they're discovered BACKING a plot it won't show on their main character page but it will show in the list of discovered plots on your intrigue page. This will still render them eligible for arrest.

1) Looking at the code, you're correct - if you already have a forged bloodline on that character then you cannot take the ambition again. Also, you can take the ambition with 2500 prestige if you're am Ambitious, Quick, Genius, Wilful, or Proud...child.

2) As far as I know, every valid imprisonment reason will show up as an opinion you have of them (that is, the second of the two boxes near your picture on their character sheet, if you're their liege). If one is not immediately obvious, check there.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Palemdromes posted:

God dammit, Sweden is one holy site away from being able to reform Germanic and I can't figure out a way to give them Sjaelland. I'm a king or else I would just swear fealty...almost a thousand hours of CK2 and I'm coming up blank. Anyone have any ideas?

Can you give whoever holds it independence as a lone county (so Sweden can conquer them), or manipulate the AI into inheriting it through some marriage shenanigans?

(alternatively yeah just conquer Sweden and do it yourself, but that's the obvious answer so I assume either you aren't Germanic or you're bored of being the Fylkir and you want someone else to be the Fylkir for once, and hell I can't blame you!)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Randaconda posted:

With CK2+ still not out,

Yeah, there were a LOT of changes and a lot of people on the team either busy IRL or burned out with CK2 or both, so progress has been slow. I don't know what the lead has been saying on the Paradox forums (since I don't go there) and I can't give an ETA yet but we are working on it (mostly because patching event files is more fun than packing for my move.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I think the CK2+ lead's decision to release the Holy Fury-compatible beta literally the day before another patch may have been unwise (but it's not like I tried to stop him.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Palemdromes posted:

Dallan, you work on Lux Invicta right? Is that gonna update to Holy Fury at any point? It’s never been my favorite overhaul mod but i appreciate how much thought went into it and i enjoyed playing when I got too familiar with the other two big ones. Even if it is a bit of a clusterf*ck.

Ha, no, the name is just a coincidence, I work on CK2+ (off and on, mostly for maintenance/compatibility stuff because even with Holy Fury taking tons of inspiration from mods I still can't quite play the game vanilla so I help update the mod pretty much entirely so I can play it sooner).

I do feel pretty similarly about Lux Invicta though, except that I thought it had stopped being updated years ago.

Fuligin posted:

the current + team seems very... pigheaded? I dunno, they just have kind of a poo poo attitude

I've been through like three or four lead devs for + at this point and yeah, vukica gets kinda crotchety in public a lot of the time but a) if I had to deal with Paradox forum posters for free I absolutely would too and b) he's kinda stepped back anyway because his real life got busy and the new guy (really an old guy picking the reins back up) is WAY more conciliatory/open. Arguably to a fault.

Anyway, re: CK2+, the GitHub is back to being public here so people can follow progress or (if you're brave) try and play with hot code. I figure I'll dive into updating for 3.1 after I get back from work, it honestly doesn't look like it'll be TOO much of a delay, the timing has just been kinda funny.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 2, 2019

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

There was actually a standalone version of the CK2+ faction system released because somebody wanted to port it to GoT etc.

It hasn't been updated in a while but it would probably give a hint as to what would need to be changed to plug the system into another mod.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Huh. I legit didn't know that "if your primary title is gavelkind your secondary titles of that tier will shift to Gavelkind as well" was a DLC thing rather than a patch thing. How close are you to forming an empire title? Brittania will do, or if you own Charlemagne you can presumably create a custom empire title. That should solve the problem as well. Long-term, though, I agree with "never hold more than one title of your highest tier if you aren't okay with potentially losing a large portion of your realm to succession shenanigans".

I have heard it is theoretically possible to de-ironman a save via editing but I do not know how off the top of my head. There IS a console command to change your succession law as well, if you can remove ironman some other way. (see the "succ" command here.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

cargohills posted:

My son is in line to the throne of England, so once my wife (the Queen of England) and I die he'll be ready to create the Empire. I have now however reached the hurdle of not having a clue how to turn off Ironman. I've tried editing the save file but it's just gibberish, and although I've found people saying you can click the icon to turn it off when I do it literally nothing happens. (That might have been for another game actually? Who knows)

I think I was confusing it with Stellaris, where editing save files to remove Ironman is actually extremely easy.

Some guy coded a utility to do it for CK2 and EU4 but it hasn't been updated in a while so it may or may not still work.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

That said, if your daughter managed to get a bastard out of him, she can legitimize the child through the child's interaction menu once you have control of her (either parent can do this, and since the mother doesn't get the choice at birth in vanilla this is the only way for mothers to legitimize children). I believe this makes the child a member of the mother's dynasty as well, so functionally equivalent to a matrimarriage except without the boring parts (and I guess with a small diplo penalty on the child).

If you legitimize the child while Theodoric is alive the child should be able to inherit from him (assuming his claim is inheritable, I have forgotten.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 12, 2019

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

I don't understand why being the target of that holy war would prevent you from declaring wars, I don't remember that being the case

I think that's new to 3.0, when I was updating CBs for Plus I noticed a lot of checks that looked like they were blocking wardecs when a crusade was active, but I assumed they were only for the attacking side. If it blocks the crusade targets too then that's a strange decision from Paradox.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Any of you ever had to fight a Child of Destiny since Holy Fury added them, and know if they have any additional events or gimmicks to watch out for once they get the big group of event troops and launch their first invasion?

For context: in my current Celtic Brittany game, things took a turn for the weird around 880ish when Rollo, fresh off taking Normandy from the Karling Emperor, immediately turned around and launched a prepared invasion of Mercia (who basically own the half of England I didn't already own). Mercia had more troops than Normandy and I figured I would just let them fight since I could comfortably defeat whichever of them won, BUT Mercia's 9K troops sitting in Lancaster seemed to be completely ignoring the 4-5K invading Vikings in York, even though they could have utterly smashed them.

I chalked it up to an AI brain fart, until one of my vassals decided to invade the Isle of Man and marched an army up through Lancaster and revealed...20-30K event troops under some random Berber teenager sieging between the Mercian soldiers and the Vikings. Oh. That's why.

So Ismail the Great is now King of (approximately half of) England, and adopted Anglo-Saxon culture while staying Sunni. I guess forming Prydain isn't going to be QUITE as easy, but hey, just more Saxons to throw off my island, right? I can raise 21-22k levies and both my current king and the likely heir (it's Tanistry so not totally predictable) are 20+-martial and 100+-PCS combat monsters, so (assuming the Karlings don't find an excuse to Holy War me while I'm busy) I can probably think out a win in a straight fight, defeat the event troops in detail, and go back to walking over England - but is it going to be a straight fight?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 16, 2019

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

smh, look who wasn't playing the game back when AIs would try and switch your betrothals to matrilineal in hope that you wouldn't notice.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Now the former emperor is stuck chilling with his wife in Iceland, but he took all of his items with him! Good items, too. Two quality 4 magnum opuses, a bunch of high-level crusade rewards, etc. What's the best way to get them back? Should I just murder his family until I inherit all his poo poo?

That's pretty much the only way to get them back (aside from sieges, but inheritance has a better chance).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

one of these years, I'll sit down and write the events for Knightly Orders. One of these years.

There's a lot of event text that needs rewritten, man.

Society modding is the goddamn worst and I firmly believe that the reason Paradox didn't include more societies with M&M is because whatever team made the framework made it a fiendish nightmare to actually work in. Luckily a couple of people have suffered on our behalf for this one.

Slothinator's Chivalric Societies lets Catholic kings create their own chivalric order societies (think Order of the Star/Order of the Garter), while Maal's Orders of Chivalry includes societies for each individual holy order in vanilla, CK2+, and HIP, and also generic regionally based "fighters' guilds" that are less holy and more similar to the warrior lodges.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of Maal's event engine for society duels but I do prefer it to the one that was generally used in mods before Holy Fury because at least it lets all the clicking you have to do through event windows for every duel have an effect on the outcome of the fight (and at least now you can choose to skip it, though the evaluation he falls back on in that case is somehow even MORE vulnerable to "7 PCS weakling somehow beats 150 PCS murdergod" moments than vanilla's is.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Why are they rewriting CK2+?

Like the forum post says: technical debt, basically. There's a lot of legacy code in Plus (dating back to the LAST major rewrite which was like 4 or 5 years ago) and they think it's frustrating their attempts to fix the bugs and bring the HF update out of "beta". Honestly I think the most recent beta before the rewrite attempt is pretty playable, but I've been playing way less CK2 than I used to so maybe I just haven't seen the bugs in question.

Earlier this year, there was another dev transition and the lead at the time quit in order to focus on their real job. A previous lead officially took over but, practically, most of the work is (or was - I haven't contributed to Plus in several months and have effectively quit myself, for a few reasons) being done by someone new who joined around that time - a rewrite is certainly in line with their vision as well, though honestly I don't think it will be much help if it even ever concludes.

As for HIP, honestly there are a lot fewer differences between the two big mods than there used to be (they share some mechanics and systems, especially since a couple of main coders have worked on both CK2+ and EMF, HIP's primary mechanics module), so it's probably worth a try. I haven't switched myself, I'm still running the most recent pre-rewrite beta of Plus with my personal changes. Hopefully Paradox keeps up their current maintenance-mode-esque approach to the game!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

It's been in vanilla since Holy Fury.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I liked being able to put your ruler or a son that you're trying to raise prestige for or at least train some nice commander traits in an army while being able to get a guy with high martial to do the real leading so that the whole army doesn't rest on your shoulders. Distributing the RNG also sounds like a good purpose.

It's not immediately clear what knights are supposed to contribute to the broader battle outcome (as opposed to just being things that hilarious midcombat events can happen to) but it feels like these are all roles they can fill depending on how many of them can be allocated to an army and what effects they have.

catlord posted:

The one part I'm a little wary of is... in general the choosing your men at arms composition, because they explain you can choose them, but they don't really say how.

Everything I read about men-at-arms in the diary made them sound like, basically, retinues 2.0, if that's at all clarifying?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Honestly my favourite part of Reaper's Due is actually the improved province prosperity system.

The diseases are a way better chaos agent than anything in Monks and Mystics though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

Nah, I don't really care about immersion. Just seems funny to limit it everywhere but one spot

I mean, I get what they're trying to do with the restriction (assuming some sort of principled reason rather than Paradox being a bunch of homers) but surely a better way to do it is to, say, vastly up the atrition for embarked armies/raiders either directly or through storm-like events (which really should happen anyway, naval transport in CK2 was way too safe) and then give Norse reduced effects from that somehow, instead of somehow pretending that only the Vikings were able to unlock the arcane secret of "climbing onto boats and going somewhere to take their stuff".

Although I remember reading that embarking in CK3 is going to look more like CK1's "pay a bunch of gold and just go there" than CK2's boats? Was that just a nightmare?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Do you have the Conclave DLC running, by any chance? If so it's possible that you're being blocked by a regent or a council with voting power over title grants).

Also, if you're not a republic there is (by default anyway) a limit on how many vassal counties can be held by Lord Mayors or Prince-Bishops - maybe try giving the county to a local baron or just some random courtier and see if it works?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 26, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I think this week's CK3 Dev Diary will make a lot of people around here very happy.

Paradox posted:

As you might suspect, the CK3 team consists of some very nerdy, passionate and compassionate people. Some of the things we’re outlining in this Dev Diary were part of the regular development process, and some have been passion projects. It has been very important for us to represent our players, the team behind the game, and the people who don’t feature heavily in most history books and media. We want everyone to feel welcome and to empower you to play your fantasy.

CK3 truly is a diverse game; it spans a map of nearly half the world and almost six centuries of history. This world is inhabited by a myriad of titles, cultures, faiths, and characters. It’s been our goal to represent all of these things with a great level of detail and accuracy to give you all a deeply immersive experience with more dynamic elements and player choice than ever before. Will you recreate history, build a brand new world, or something in between? It is all in your hands.

But we haven’t just added more diversity; that variety is also much more readily available than it was in CK2. For example, all Faiths and Cultures on the map are playable on release, and the dynamic Faith system will give you much greater power to change the world. We’ve also added many different Game Rules which allow you to tailor your CK3 experience. If you would rather play as a Queen than a King from day one, the Game Rules let you do that, without having to create a custom Faith during your campaign. There are other challenges out there to conquer and stories to explore!

We are incredibly proud of all the stuff we’ve made for you, so without any further ado, let’s jump into the juicy, juicy details!

(for me specifically, it means that half the poo poo I used to change via modding is now vanilla so I'll be able to spend more time playing the drat game and maybe actually earn an achievement or two!)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

extremely disappointed in the lack of “homosexuality dominant” options tho

There's already a game rule that can make homo/bi/asexuality the Most Common Orientation instead of heteroseuality, so maybe someone will be inspired to add "Required" to the possible views a Faith can have on same-sex relations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

My immediate guess is that the countess you married your son off to picked him as the heir to one of her bishoprics, which would make him ineligible for succession (both from her and from you) even before he actually became a bishop, but doesn't change anything for any kids they have. Since at that point neither you nor he had any eligible sons, your daughter became the heir. (you didn't say, but I assume you're on Agnatic-Cognatic).

Then you had twin sons so the elder of them became the heir. Then your son had a kid, and since even though HE wasn't eligible he was still your eldest, his son inherits over his younger siblings or their kids.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Yes, if you don't own a province you can't dock boats in its ports. (which is probably why you're getting that X).

In that situation, what you need to do is select the troops and right click on the sea zone that has your boats in it - that'll order your troops to board the boats.

edit: comprehensively beaten

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Well then what's the point of anything

They've got to leave the modders something to do I guess.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Victoria II has similar ballpark reviews (including, most notably, ZERO negative ones) and it's a mostly dysfunctional pile of garbage to this day: https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/victoria-ii/critic-reviews. The loving game can't even run on many systems due to constant crashing.

(...)

But CK2 was not doing its job that well on release and you need only look at the changelogs to see that. It was certainly doing that job worse than CK1, which had also had multiple years to mature at that point. Two months after CK2's release, if you wanted to have a kickass story about your dynasty coming up from ashes to be the biggest badasses on the block or a paint europe story, picking up CK2 was a great way to disappoint yourself when it turned out you were waiting a jillion years for an appropriate opportunity to show up.

It really wasn't just the reviews, this thread's predecessors at the time said pretty much the same thing (I was one of the people saying it). CK2 was the very first Paradox launch that didn't have Paradox Launch Syndrome, and for a lot of people it immediately eclipsed CK1 (which had been my favourite PDS game up to that point).

Now obviously there's room to be skeptical about any Paradox launch (though honestly I didn't think Stellaris was that bad at launch either, and I can't speak to Imperator or HOI4) and it's not some sort of act of treason to Not Preorder (though I too will be taking the first step on the road to disappointment). I think that the launch version of the game is barely recognizable in what we have today - there have been a ton of changes and additions, mostly for the better, and like you say the changelogs speak to that. But the core experience was solid and fun and giving people stories to tell ITT even when they were hacking apart the time-limited demo so they could play 400 years in one sitting because you weren't allowed to save.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 16, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there an easy way to extend or cancel the end date for the game? I think I would enjoy empire building more if there wasn't such a hard time pressure, especially since I like to start off as counts.

On one hand it's a very easy mod to do (it's only one file to change, and this mod should take care of it).

On the other hand, unless you're starting in 1337 for some reason or trying to do a WC, it really isn't as much time pressure as it sounds like. Even 1066-1453 is almost 4 centuries, (if you start earlier you can add 1-200 more years to that), and basically nobody plays through that entire time period unless they're going for the achievement.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I appreciate that all this stuff exists because it does give you play options if you are outnumbered and crap. You can in fact have a heroic holdout and a come from behind win. When the game launched it was pretty much formulaic. Have 20% more dudes? You win. Have kinda equal sides? Better martial score wins. Have equal martial score? Better terrain and bonuses win. It basically meant there was no surprises in wars ever and no analysis or response that had to happen, ever. With the current situation there can be surprises.

This is more or less where I land with it. I'm actually a sucker for Designer Fun stuff like this or Victoria's economy system, but I treat it more as a way to add variation to wars and battles or make certain characters command in different ways than something I have to (or even want to) optimise.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I figured we needed a lifeboat, so I made a ck2 channel in the Video Games Chat Discord.

Ugh, I don't have that one - could someone with PMs please send me an invite link?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I'm not sure that the explicitly socialist offsite wants a massive influx of Not Necessarily Sufficiently Socialist refugee posters, nor that everyone here will necessarily be comfortable there, but goonspeed etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

fuf posted:

lol 10 minutes into the stream and they realise the player character has his sister as a lover

I mean it's not a weird thing to change, knowing this series and its audience, but I just looked at the CK2 history files and they weren't scripted to be lovers in the CK2 1066 start.

(historically, some people/chroniclers thought Alfonso and Urraca were lovers but that might just have been the usual Secret History style slanders against disliked political figures)