Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Azhais posted:

If they're truly empowered he can't change council members without a council vote. At that point it's just a whole lot of bribing.

Time for some tyranny then. :black101:

Or maybe some of those Councilors need to have unfortunate accidents. :ese:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

To the wretched Original Poster, you are a tyrant and a vile tadpole!
We will no longer stand idly by as you consign good DLC to the bottom
of the barrel. The time has come for you to give The Reaper's Due more
credit! Submit to this demand peacefully or face the consequences! Rest
assured that I have gathered others who are equally upset...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sometimes I have to tell myself these youtubers/streamers are intentionally missing the obvious because it gets their viewers more involved. But usually I realize, that no, they're really just idiots.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TBH I find Quill annoying, but I freely admit I have a very low tolerance for "youtuber personality".

Or has he settled down in the last couple years?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'll probably do a Welsh game. I'm a bit curious about the "- The titular Duchy title Powys is now only formable through a decision." patch note, but I doubt its anything too special.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sydin posted:

I am irrationally upset that HF doesn't drop tonight and instead unlocks an hour after I have to be at work tomorrow morning. :negative:

Same :(:hf::( but c'mon, we can survive one more work shift!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I like how the symbol for The Children of the Herald could be loosely interpreted as an upside down tree with roots. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh hey, they added some new counties to Wales and Ireland.

That shakes things up a bit. Wales has a surprising number of counties now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, I have no idea where/when I want to start a game.

1066 Wales Unification?
769 as the first (in the game) Yingling and try to carve my way to significance in the Norse thunderdome?
1066 or so in Sardinia and try to unite it, find a way to steal Corsica from Tuscany/HRE and/or gently caress with the Muslims?
Start as a vassal count in France or the HRE and just try to carve my way to relevance?
Something more exotic?

I can't decide.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man its interesting to flip back and forth between these two maps and see just how much changed/was added. New counties were inserted everywhere.

Holy Fury

Previous Map:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I guess I forget how inheritance stuff works.

Why does my second son get two complete duchies while my first son gets the King title and only a single duchy? Is it because the King title is considered "Better"?

That is a recipe for a messy transition of power.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A lovely floral smell huh? Uhhh, if you say so guys.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also, RIP to my first ruler of this game.

Though not always through pious means, you united Wales and protected it against outside forces and Fraticelli Heretics within. You lived far longer than I expected you to, and accomplished so much. When the pope announced the call of God to retake Sicily, you went even knowing you'd probably never see the land you fought so hard to rebuild again and died in the Lord's name defending Rome against the most foul European mercenaries being paid by moslem coin. And while you didn't do it for him, you'd be pleased to know your sponsored kinsman now sits as King of Sicily. Also, Cadwallon your last living son, that horrible womanizer you were so worried about, shaped up real fast in the fires of that Crusade after he took over for you. He's a good King.

You earned every ounce of that Beatification. Whoever is Pope in another decade and a half or so had better bump that up to full Sainthood. You deserve it buddy. :unsmith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

People who get granted full Sainthood (not just Beatification) posthumously generate s bloodline. So I’m still holding out hope for Cadwgan.

ninjahedgehog posted:

gives you an insanely powerful bloodline for being the most badass Crusader King

That’s just a bog standard Crusader King bloodline. My sponsored kinsman got that when he became King of Sicily following a crusade.

Sure he got the bloodline, but my ruler got the title “Sword of Jesus Christ” :black101:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 15, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Land the Merovingian and then switch characters?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You jerks are making me want to put my Wales game on ice and pick up an Axe for Odin or something. Never played much Pagans, Germanic or otherwise. Hell, I've barely left my 1066 Feudal Christian comfort zone.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is the feature where you can just right click and offer to join a war, but I'm not sure if it's restricted by any options.

There have been a few times I've wanted to do that (such as while uniting Wales when Powys was defending in a vasalization war vs England) but couldn't. I wish I knew what the criteria was.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So let's say I wanna start a 769 game as a Germanic Pagan and get my Viking on.

Now let's say I'm a stubborn fool and don't want to take the "Easy" route of playing as Sigurdr the Ring, in fact I'm taking the stupid route and playing as the first Yngling accessible in the game, Oysteinn of Heidmark in Oppland, who is basically a one-county nobody with a claim on the (vacant) Duchy of Viken to the south (but no claim on the counties that make up the Duchy).

What the hell is my gameplan for early expansion? Let's say my goal for now is to become the High Chief/Duke of Oppland then try to get my hands on the High Chiefdom of Viken. I can use the subjugation CB (unlimited times within Norway if I choose the "Become King of Norway" ambition) but I believe that just force vassalizes the target? Actually does that even work when we're both count level rulers? The only other war dec I seem to be able to use is Tributary on neighbors, but I don't think I want to do that to the other Chiefs of Oppland since that will make actually stealing their counties for myself harder.

So what the heck do I do? Does the Subjugation CB outright give me counties if I'm also a Chief/Count myself instead of making them vassals? Cause thats fine if so. Otherwise I guess its playing the fabricate claim game?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You mean Haraldr the Wartooth, High Chief of Sjaeland?

Also, geh, willingly becoming a vassal to someone.... my one weakness. Still, it'd give me the protection I need to gobble up the rest of Oppland and maybe even Viken before making myself a High Chief/Duke and breaking away.

One more question, if I use my One-Time Subjugation CB can I still use more subjugation CBs later if I select the "Become King of X" ambition? Cause that first subjugation would get me the 100 prestige I'd need to launch a Border Dispute CB, which costs 100 prestige, and awards 100 prestige if you win, meaning I can potentially just keep chaining Border Disputes. I mean I could just pop the Become King ambition for free subjugations, but I figure another ambition might be more useful starting out (such as raising an heir).

[fake edit] Actually I guess it just calls High Chiefs Kings now?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, three years in and things are going really swell so far. I've taken everything in Oppland and am waiting for my levies to build up so I can seize Vingulsmark to ensure I get coastal access. However I just realized the obvious problem of Germanic Tribals. Gavelkind means my realm is gonna blow up if I die with no Petty King title. Unfortunately, while I can create the the Title of Oppland, I'd need nearly 150 more gold to do that, which is about 40 year's income. I'm already 32, not good odds in an occupation as violent as belligerent Germanic Chief.

I guess I could try raiding, but my fellow Norse neighbors are as shitpoor as I am, I assume. Meanwhile the viking age hasn't started yet, so no boats, meaning its a looooong walk to the richer Christian lands and leaves my army deployed well away from my territory, just asking for trouble.

So how the hell do I get some gold? Maybe the Duchy of Viken would be cheaper to form since I have a claim on it?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 16, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there a good way to raise my retinue cap? Right now its 20 and even the cheapest prestige retinue of 150 Light Infantry costs 105 cap.

And by 20 gold for raiding a church you mean Christian Churches, right? Not the Norse temples (wouldn't that hurt Moral Authority)?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What Island? You mean Iceland? Is it a De Jure part of Norway? IIRC In Elective Systems De Jure Dukes get a vote even if they're not part of the nation.

pre:
Moved rename button.
Wait you can rename yourself?!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 16, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

winterwerefox posted:

Go business focus and counterfeit coins. between counterfeiting, trade route, in five years you can have a ton of fake gold. join the warrior lodge, and hope they give you raid targets. My first 5 years as a viking is in business focus to debase some coinage to do other things like market villages and title creation. Then learning focus to study stars and build an observatory. gets me enough military tech to build shipyards.

Good idea with business focus but thankfully looting and some raid missions from my WolfBros got a good bit of cash and shortly later a Christian monk was caught in my realm tending to the sick and proselytizing. I was just gonna hire him as a doctor but then I saw the 50 gold mentioned in the other option, so I burned him at the stake and used that gold for the title. :black101:

Chalks posted:

Holy crap. I'm playing a small duke in the HRE, 200 gold to my name. A crusade is called, I send my 3k troops to fight. We win. I get 3500 gold.

That's completely insane.

I got 13,000 as the lead contributor to the first Crusade in my Wales game. It’s a scary amount of money, but it is also scary how fast you can spend that. Bought myself a kickass sword, a really awesome suit of armor, multiple improvements to the castles in my capital duchy and also built and modestly developed two new castles in my capital Duchy.

It was great.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 16, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its intentional to prevent Gavelkind abuse where you could keep massive territories by ensuring you only had one top-level title.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Strudel Man posted:

Never appoint commanders until the firing bug is fixed. You're the emperor; only you can command troops.

Does it really drop your voting power for appointing the best of a bad set of commanders, though? That's a pretty obvious oversight.

firing bug?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

CommissarMega posted:

Just started an Animal Kingdom playthrough, and I'll admit I'm somewhat disappointed that being an animal in this mode doesn't seem to give any modifiers in and of itself. I'm a freakin' dragon goddamit, I shouldn't be fearing anything other than heavy cav :colbert:

Obviously Dragons in this world are only about the size of a very large dog.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Uncouth.

Basically you've got the hygienic practices of a goon.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

China isn't actually playable, the closest you can get is playing the Western Protectorate.

This is as far as the map goes:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

twistedmentat posted:

That's some game of thrones stuff, but I'm sure that's pretty basic for what you can do later.

Me a long time ago posted:

I started out as the Count of Wurttemberg. I immediately set out with the goal of obtaining my own duchy. Though luck and God's favor, I quickly fabricated and claimed the counties of Baden and Breigsau. In addition I also secured a second barony in both Wurttemberg and Baden, the former by using intrigue focus to expose and imprison my childless Baron who was swiftly thrown in the oubliette, the latter baron, also childless, died of severe stress before I could do the same thing to him (guess he knew what was coming!).

Anyways, at first I was gonna just go independent and form the Duchy of Baden, but then the opportunity to plot fabricate a claim on my liege, the Duke of Alemannia came up and I took it. Cue brutal civil war. I defeat his army in the field but he hires mercenaries to regain the advantage. I hire my own mercenaries and defeat him again. Then disaster strikes, King Karloman (who outlived bigger bro) calls for realm peace! I quickly rush to my liege's capital, all I need to do is take it to get enough warscore. The clock is ticking, I order a brutal bloody assault, devastating my men. The assault is nearly completed when suddenly realm peace kicks in, White Peace! I'm outraged, I SWEAR it kicked in at least a week early!

I sit and I brood for five years, on the anniversary of the end of the first war, I declare my 2nd title claim war. This time my men easily drive him from the field and lay siege. He lacks the money for mercenaries, I do not. Karloman's Realm Peace is still on cooldown. Nothing can save him. However he wins one final battle against me. He dies, granting him the honor of dying Duke of Alemannia and not a lowly count. A few months later his grandson is brought before me in chains and I am named the new Duke. His grandson is thrown in the oubliette to rot and dies there. Left in charge is his great-granddaughter, just a small child. Not wishing to see her in control of 3 counties, I plot and revoke one, she fights, loses, and I revoke a second. No matter, she's worthless.

Fast forward almost a decade. I'm now King of Swabia, a titular breakaway kingdom formed in the aftermath of the balkanization of Karloman's crowns. Meanwhile I've spent twenty years desperately trying to produce a male heir. Eventually my desperation leads to open adultery and seduction of young women. I produce 3 legitimate children with my wives, and a number of bastards, probably close to 10. All are daughters.

The young great granddaughter of my old liege has finally come of age and she hates me. No matter, I shall put my new "Master Seducer" skills to the test and woo her as my ultimate conquest. Its successful, and I repeat the process several times, Veni Vidi Vici'ing each time. Eventually I succeed in my goal, she bears a child of my blood. It is a son! He will be the first and likely last bastard I ever acknowledge, though I do not plan to legitimize him immediately. However then providence occurs, my damnable chaste second wife (who the Pope refuses to let me divorce) dies. Grinning I propose to the great-grand daughter of my old liege and, despite stripping her titles in the past, to my amazement she accepts. I legitimize our child.

In time she will come to hate me again but it doesn't matter. I have my heir and my victory over the old man is complete. I have not only conquered his title, but now I have conquered his bloodline.

TL,DR: After two bitter wars I overthrew my old duke and eventually seduced his countess great granddaughter to sire my heir and marry me, obliterating his line.

[edit] The young feelings of lust and love I instilled wore off and she suddenly remembered how much she hated me. Eventually she finally blew it. She plotted to kill my spymaster and I tried to arrest her, causing her to rebel. Her army was quite obviously crushed and I got lucky and captured her immediately. She's now sitting under house arrest while I debate what to do about her.

I don't want to throw her in the oubliette just yet, as I don't want to lose too much control over my heir by landing him. Oddly enough unlike previous rebellions I can't revoke her last county because we've got a truce from the end of her revolt? That is weird (oh wait, is it because we're married?). Oh well, I'm almost 65 and probably don't have much longer to live, plus I'm pretty well liked between long-reign, prestige, and diplomacy. Maybe I'll just break this nonsense truce and strip her title anyways. Then throw her in the oubliette.

Oh I know! Maybe in the cell containing the bones of her father! I mean, I doubt anyone cleans those things out.

And thats nothing compared to what some people do. Still possibly the most evil I've been unless you count killing a couple children as part of a revenge plot because someone killed my child.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jedit posted:

It does, mostly. If you execute a child you get a -10 malus.

Does that apply to being discovered after a murder plot concludes?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Time to put another claimant on that throne then. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also are you a King proper or just a Petty King (aka an independent Duke).

If you're the proper King of Ireland you might lose personal control of parts of Ireland but they should remain your vassals. But if you're only a Petty King, with multiple Ducal titles, then those Ducal Titles/Petty Kingships will be split among your heirs and none of them will owe fealty to eachother because they're the same rank.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You shouldn't need council approval to give away titles. Right click a kinsman and select "grant landed title" or something like that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea i currently have claims for all the provinces I want, but I can't figure out how to select more than one when i declare war.

And when I am a proper feudal kingdom, warnings about losing tiles just means they will no longer be directly controlled by me, but they won't turn into their own kingdom?

Assuming they all belong to the same lord (or his vassals, I think) there should be a "press all claims" option.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

twistedmentat posted:

Uh, some how some guy in Poland aquired 2 provinces in ireland. I'm not sure how that happened, and I can't take them from him because I can't reach his home province with an army, and so i'm stuck at 99% victory.

Shouldn't occupation of the wargoal provinces slowly increase your warscore?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Why not switch to the other brother if it’s not Ironman or whatever?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Flux is an easy fix, just drink this and let me strap you down.

*pulls out saw*

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I half expected the baby to wake up and strangle the snake or something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Omnicarus posted:

The man with the snake was the baby's father. He noticed the imbecile trait.

I kinda hope that traits like that only show up as the character ages.

I mean how are you able to tell which baby is gonna be a genius and which an imbecile? They’re both drooling little diaper shitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mortabis posted:

and in any case it'll be modded back in in like 5 minutes.

So I guess it is not actually a problem then, is it?