Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It is interesting that the release announcement has someone straight up murdering a baby in it and people are getting all bent out of shape about them removing two words from the game. I mean, we just watched a baby get straight up killed by a snake! Won’t someone think of the children??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lol the event screen in Holy Fury has a dude screaming Deus Volt. That wasn't even that long ago!

I know that alt right pigs love crusader imagery and that phrase in particular but never found it's use in-game distasteful. Don't mind them removing it either of course, just that I never once thought Pdox was dogwhistling those types.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It is interesting that the release announcement has someone straight up murdering a baby in it and people are getting all bent out of shape about them removing two words from the game. I mean, we just watched a baby get straight up killed by a snake! Won’t someone think of the children??

maybe that baby should have had better stats

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The man with the snake was the baby's father. He noticed the imbecile trait.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Sometimes a baby is what stands between you and a title. Sometimes you've got an excellent heir already lined up and then some random baby happens. Sometimes a person is born into the Karling family. Are you just not going to accrue more titles for your dynasty and realm? Are you just going to let titles be inherited by chance instead of choice? Are you just going to let a Karling go without a knife? No. Think of your legacy. Think of the family. Think of the border gore.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I half expected the baby to wake up and strangle the snake or something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Do you have any idea how many babies I've killed just to get a single county?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the baby strangled the gently caress outta that snake

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If you're not roleplaying as a Lannister why are you even playing?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Omnicarus posted:

The man with the snake was the baby's father. He noticed the imbecile trait.

I kinda hope that traits like that only show up as the character ages.

I mean how are you able to tell which baby is gonna be a genius and which an imbecile? They’re both drooling little diaper shitters.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I kinda hope that traits like that only show up as the character ages.

I mean how are you able to tell which baby is gonna be a genius and which an imbecile? They’re both drooling little diaper shitters.

Sounds like in the new system it would be a secret trait then, have to take some tests to them to determine if they are worthy.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Tulip posted:

The devs says they're not going to use "deus vult" because they don't want to effectively state support for politics they don't support and reddit is unsurprisingly having a baby temper tantrum it rules

No actually this is dumb sorry. This is a game that has incest, rape, murder, but not the words "deus vult" because apparently anything is fine until it gets turned into an inside joke by annoying internet memesters? Paradox isn't responsible for what its fans think, and in any case it'll be modded back in in like 5 minutes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mortabis posted:

and in any case it'll be modded back in in like 5 minutes.

So I guess it is not actually a problem then, is it?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I guess it is not actually a problem then, is it?

If you're asking if I'm mad about it, no, I'm not. But it's not going to keep people from making far right political memes out of the game , it'll probably get zero goodwill from the kind of people who get upset about this stuff in the end, and it does evidently piss off a lot of fans. So it's dumb.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It’s yet another small reminder that their racist poo poo is no longer socially acceptable, so IMO it’s good. It won’t make them rethink their ways, ofc, but they still need to be reminded they are scum.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it actually shows them that liberals will always surrender anything to them cause they have 0 backbone

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kingturnip posted:

The RPS article suggests that if you fail to role-play adequately, your character could become stressed, with all the fun that comes fr- [died of stress, aged 21]

That's one of the most interesting parts of the announcement. It's a very good idea in theory, but if it's not implemented correctly, it will be really frustrating. They need to make it clear which traits are important for roleplaying, with a UI feature that shows your stress level and what's causing it (as opposed to suddenly giving you the stressed trait via event for unexplained reasons).

I guess if they make it a point system (we all love point systems, right?) and have point thresholds where bad stuff starts to happen, they can easily show you factors like "You're getting +1 stress a month because you haven't bedded enough courtiers" or something.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It’s yet another small reminder that their racist poo poo is no longer socially acceptable, so IMO it’s good. It won’t make them rethink their ways, ofc, but they still need to be reminded they are scum.

Yeah, this is kind of my point: telling your customers that they are racist scum for enjoying an aspect of your game is dumb.

I will still buy CK3 obviously, and probably would never have noticed it was missing. But I don't see any benefit to Paradox by doing this.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

can't believe the liberals have made us stop saying "deus vult"... what is the world coming to.....

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm assuming they're not actually removing crusades as a core gameplay mechanic. Just removing a specific phrase. In that case it's like...why? A small subsection of internet crazies use the phrase unironically yet literally nobody else who plays the game cares or pays attention to them. So the devs remove the phrase, which does literally nothing except make people mad that they're "censoring" the game based on the extreme vocal minority. Yet the mechanic is still there and will get modded back in 3 seconds so noboy wins.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Mortabis posted:

Yeah, this is kind of my point: telling your customers that they are racist scum for enjoying an aspect of your game is dumb.

I will still buy CK3 obviously, and probably would never have noticed it was missing. But I don't see any benefit to Paradox by doing this.

"I don't care about this and it doesn't matter and it's pointless but I'm going to keep going on about it and the people who did this are the real racists wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh liberals"

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I personally think it’s meaningful in a small way. Even if someone wants to put it back in I at least appreciate that the developer recognizes the problem and is willing to do something that’s probably net-negative for them in order to not cater to even that (hopefully?) small number of lovely people in their community.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anno posted:

I personally think it’s meaningful in a small way. Even if someone wants to put it back in I at least appreciate that the developer recognizes the problem and is willing to do something that’s probably net-negative for them in order to not cater to even that (hopefully?) small number of lovely people in their community.

Agreed its a nice gesture. However it will not save Sweden from the same fate as the rest of Europe when my powerful caliphate arises.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone who will actively want to mod it back in is gonna be a piece of poo poo, and the process of doing so is gonna be a reminder that the world thinks they and their opinions suck. It's ultimately a very small gesture, but it's a gesture nonetheless. If you're wondering about its effectiveness or how pointless it is or whatever, you're thinking too much about it. It ain't that deep, and it doesn't have to be that deep. It could also be as simple as the devs, being aware of the phrase's connotations in certain circles, just plain didn't like writing it in the game, so they didn't. It's probably something Paradox never would've mentioned if they were never asked about it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Fresh topic to endlessly discuss:

2d art/portraits or 3D models? Fight!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Obviously 3D models suck, and we should go back to CK1 character portraits

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

For game engine reasons the portraits probably have to be 3D but 2D would probably be better. CK3 looks very 2010. I know we shouldn't expect much from a Paradox game, but the terrain mapmode screenshots we've seen look roughly on par with Civ V or maybe even worse, and the characters look like they came from The Sims Medieval.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not like it's a big move, since I don't think "deus vult" appears too many places. It is one of the famous crusade quotes, but I feel like they acknowledged long ago how the Crusades aren't the main focus of the game anyways.

Kings Who May Or May Not Crusade III

What I would genuinely love is a family manse/castle/estate/whatever that is customizable by the player. Similar to the feature in the Republics DLC, but more fleshed out and actually visible to the player.

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 19, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Someone will have to model a blinded scarred elderly leper dwarf horse.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Captain Beans posted:

It all depends on the execution of the style. As long as they pick and embrace a deliberate style of some description it'll work out. From the screenshots they seem to be deliberately aiming towards something Sims like and they're using the 3D model in a way which also allows them to have more dynamic portraits for events. It certainly looks like it has potential.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

TheLoquid posted:

Kings Who May Or May Not Crusade III

What I would genuinely love is a family manse/castle/estate/whatever that is customizable by the player. Similar to the feature in the Republics DLC, but more fleshed out and actually visible to the player.

just import the upgradeable palace from civ 3

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Can't wait for the memory leaks from the 3d portraits because the game doesn't unload them proper or something. Or the inevitable bug where two or more people are rendered together in the same position.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

But imagine the possibilities for some spiderman pointing and spiderman poo poo when your spymaster reports on uncovering a plot by himself to murder himself

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Captain Beans posted:

I like how the 3D models were implemented in Imperator, less so here. I think it's just a style thing. There's still seemingly at least a year left of dev time so I hope they continue to iterate on that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Islam would be nice to have from the start, but I wouldn't be surprised for Republics to be left for later. Would be nice to see redone mechanics for those.

I'd also like things like playable theocracies or totally rejiggered gavelkind, although with dynasty mechanics being one of the starting points of the base game, that doesn't seem too likely.

Mortabis posted:

No actually this is dumb sorry. This is a game that has incest, rape, murder, but not the words "deus vult" because apparently anything is fine until it gets turned into an inside joke by annoying internet memesters? Paradox isn't responsible for what its fans think, and in any case it'll be modded back in in like 5 minutes.

I mean the game doesn't have rape. At least not explicitly. Not if you don't have any mods for it. You can interpret the lack of a real need for characters to personally consent to marriages as such, but it's left a bit ambiguous. Sex outside of marriage is always explicitly consensual, and sex inside of marriage is not elaborated on.

Probably the most uncomfortable topic in the game is that button to expel the jews, which is bad, but it is a very historical thing to be able to banish the people who you take loans from. That's what happened to the knights templar.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pagan taking prisoners as Concubines could be interpreted as such.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I doubt this game has driven anyone to incest, rape, or murder.

It's significantly more plausible that this game has driven people into racist subcultures, especially when those subcultures already take cues from the time period this game is set in.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Pretty much everything I've read about CK3 looks good so far, I'm loooking forward to this game. I:R bored me, I skipped HOI4 and Stellaris turned ugly, so hopefully this will be PDX game that won't disappoint me. And who cares about 'desu vult controversy'.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I wish they would have gone for 2d art, Total War: Three Kingdoms went down this road and it looks fantastic. They even have a little system that swaps portions of the body so it can handle different equipment, which would be great for CK. Although I admit the 3d character models in Imperator are fine, I guess it takes less work hours to make 3d models than 2d art?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Paradox is already backpedaling on the Deus Vult thing:

quote:

Update – Henrik Fåhraeus offered this comment: “I feel like this issue has been miscommunicated thus far. We have not specifically considered which terms are used in the game apart from making sense in the historical context. The team will decide how any text fits or does not fit into CK3 in a way that feels appropriate.”