Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

I'll probably check out something in Africa first personally

Same. I want to check out the new trade routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

binge crotching posted:

Looks like they were serious about getting rid of the tribal_invasion CB for non-tribals. It was already pretty limited in that you had to be pagan and be a part of a couple of different culture groups, but now it's either be tribal or have elective gavelkind. Or I guess be the head of the Aztec Empire / Mongol Empire ...

code:
or = {
        is_tribal = yes
        primary_title = {
                has_law = succ_elective_gavelkind
        }
        has_landed_title = e_mongol_empire
        has_landed_title = e_mexikha
}

Looks super easy to mod at least. Maybe add the Roman empire or something for funsies on world conquest games.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
uh why is the game force crashing in the opening loading screen over and over now

edit: it was my suez canal mod. hopefully they update that one quick. i hate having the map cut in half

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 14, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's a rule option in settings regarding "child of destiny," which I hadn't seen before. Looks loving awesome. It says it rarely generates great conquerers with special casus belli's and higher attributes. Basically exactly what I was bitching about wanting the other day lol.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Haven’t gotten home to check this update out yet. Do you mean this is a new rule for normal gameplay? Or is this part of the new random world thing?

Looks like it's a normal thing. Default it is set to on. idk if it disables ironman to turn it off.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
coptic city, barony, and temple graphics are the best in the game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

That’s dope. I’d like to see some games where Seljuk or timurid come out of a shithole and conquer an empire and gently caress up the surrounding area

I'd like to see it be random people who do the same thing. Some duke in Bengal going on the warpath and conquering half of India.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Diogines posted:

Every single paradox DLC is a buggy mess initially. Is this one actually not?

I've seen a couple characters that don't have faces but that's it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going with cosmopolitan, stability-astrology, autonomous in my africa game. I'm not super concerned about short reign penalties, but not having them at all sounds like a bigger bonus than bloodthirsty gods, which is probably something I'll do in a different game where I'm more of a dick.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sticky Nate posted:

I'm having fun with warrior lodges. I asked my 15 yr old son if he wanted to join and he was like "Yeah, dad! I've always wanted to be like you!"

His only stats are in Martial. He's dumb as poo poo and I love him.

Yeah I did that with a son and like every six months he'd get some event that was like +3 martial, -2 diplomacy lol. He's not gonna be the designated heir for my republic but he will get to be a commander and duel away to his brawny hearts content for life.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does warmongering give you access to CB's you wouldn't have otherwise, or does it just make your vassals more eager to butcher your borders?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's an option for supernatural events and another one for absurd events.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like heir candidates in merchant republics can contribute their own campaign funds now. Sweet! No more having to scavenge 1000 gold to try and get a guy with 3000 gold elected. He can just pay his own way.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
getting some big glitching with the high priest after reformation. every person i give any title or land to becomes a theocracy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The african trade route is really cool. It's not the same generic holdings as silk road trade posts. In the far southwest, there's two counties who's trade post buildings are gold fields, which you can build as long as you don't have the county modifier "depleted gold field." As you head further north, you get into salt mining territory. There's two counties with those available. On the northern coast and further east, you don't get any of these developmental type buildings, but instead you get a bigger focus on saharan trade posts, although timbuktu also has a cloth market. It adds a lot of flavor. You can actually see where the goods are coming from, and where they are being sold. Another cool aspect of them is that they rely on different techs to be upgraded. In the silk road, you basically just have the silk road market or w/e that can be upgraded to a level corresponding to that counties trade practices level. But in Africa, the salt mines are tied to construction tech, the gold fields don't seem tied to anything (at least at level 1), and the Saharan trade posts of course rely on trade practices like all trade posts. It's pretty sweet. Right now I've got all the trade posts in the interior of Africa in my hands, and I'm personally holding every one of those counties for a while, despite the negative modifier for having tribal holdings. Their tech will develop much quicker that way. Eventually, those counties will be rich and well developed, which will boost the value of the trans-saharan trade route. That will provide bigger income bonuses to every city, temple, barony, etc etc in the route, which will allow Africa to have more available to invest in itself, and hopefully get itself on par with Europe, or surpass it.

Unfortunately, building this network up from the ground up is gonna be a nightmare for feudal characters. The best bet would probably be to conquer all of the interior, then adopt feudalism or republican government when the most amount of counties will be able to make the swap with you. Otherwise I could see Africa still lagging way behind the rest of the world when it comes to tech and cash, despite the trade route potential that is there, simply because the poo poo never gets utilized.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 15, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can change the rules by modding the save if you really don't want to abandon the game. Turning it off doesn't seem to be as effective as it used to be though. You can have 3 times the army of another stack and it'll still take like 8 fights to wipe them out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I own all of the trade in africa. Every yellow coastal county and saharan trade post on the interior is controlled by my family, all connected to capital. Earning about 150 a month income in 830 which ain't too bad. I've started having my first feudal and republican counties popping out in the interior of Africa, and tech is spreading like wildfire, so it should increase a lot soon. In the meantime, I will be turning my sights to the silk road.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sulphagnist posted:

Am I the only one with a large realm who just ignores incessant pagan raiding because it's a huge amount of micro while the negative effect is negligible?

When your realm is big enough your vassals will take care of it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So I think I just found an ironman compatible way to make the capital of your merchant republic any county in the world. It's a two step procedure.

1. You have to make a barony your capital holding, which is good practice in any republic run, as it allows your retinues to get the benefits of cultural buildings. You do this by using the "move to your de jure capital" mechanic. It's easiest at the duke level. If your primary title is a duchy with a coastal de jure capital, you can move your capital there for free. If you own no cities in that county, you can still move there, and the barony will be the capital holding of your republic. It works fine for generations provided you never get a city holding in that county again.

2. This is where things get fucky. Once you have a barony as the capital of your republic, when your ruler dies, it seems now your capital will only stay in the same county if you have no county level republics in your personal demense. If you do, then that county will become your new capital, seemingly regardless of where the gently caress that is. Even if it's inland.

I'm gonna do some testing and post some pics here in a bit to explain it a little better. The potential here if it works is pretty huge, and would open up things like an ironman game as the merchant republic of baghdad.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol

still get connected to capital bonuses on the silk road.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No reason whatsoever to have an inland trade republic that doesn't sit on a trade route, but that should really emphasize just how broad your options are. Literally anywhere.

Torrannor posted:

What's the best reformed pagan (non-Aztecs) faith for merchant republics, and which reforms are the best? Polygamy for sure, which else?

I think wives take the place of concubines, don't they? I know they are in the same place in the character relations menu. Polygamy is pretty useless as a republic if so. Astrology is important for access to the hermetics, magnum opi, tech, etc. I also took stability which has been nice to add stats to rulers and heirs. Over the next few weeks we might learn more about different events that pop up for different doctrines, and some of those might add a bunch of economic tech, which would make that the best, but other than that it just seems like flavor choices. I know as a West African I have intrigue options to pick a patron diety and worship the ancestors, which both have routes to boost republic stuff, but I think that's accessible to all pagans.

Sydin posted:

Is there a way to destroy holdings in a county you own as a Christian? I really want to keep Rome as my capital, but it has three of its six slots taken up by useless rear end churches

If you aren't on ironman, there's always the destroy_settlement command

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats the fastest way to reform the norse religion, when starting as Sjælland? Is it possible to do it before I die to avoid gavelkind splintering my realm?

pagan subjugate one of uppland or naumadal, fabricate a claim on the other, and then raid the poo poo out of ireland/scotland to boost your moral authority.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
African merchant republic world conquest is going well 100 years in. Just finished off a major war against the Abassids that finished off any actual resistance they could put against me. Now the doors to the east are wide open for me.

Not hitting the vassal limit is going to be tricky, but I think it's doable. I decided to break Africa into 3 vassal kingdoms, not including my own kingdom of Egypt, which, once de jure drift has completed, will only encompass the duchy of Alexandria where my capital is. Arabia and Syria are finished. Jibal will eventually become the kingdom of Persia and will include both Persia and Daylam. Perhaps Khorasan too, we'll see.

Africa is coming along well. The tech boost from the developed trade routes is doing work, and within the next 100 years or so, I imagine the entire continent will have adopted feudalism, and it should pretty much all be green in the economy map mode. I've spent thousands over the last couple years on hillforts, so hopefully a big wave of conversion is in the cards soon.

For 100 years in, income is already through the roof. I'm at 64 trade posts currently. By end game, I should be over 100, and all the rest of the trade posts I have yet to get are silk road trade posts that will have huge income. I've already built all the trade posts I want to build. The rest I can conquer through war, which works independently of my trade post limit. I've started trimming my family down, so my family dues are going to shrink down to almost nothing while my income is only going to go up.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 19, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Surprised stability hasn't gotten any mention. No short reign penalty is enough that you have to really try to get a revolt.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol do you get your regents money if he takes over for a day? i got locked up for raiding a laboratory and was only in there as long as it took my ransom to post. came home to a cool 5 g's in the bank.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

I've never cared for playable theocracies or inland republics, so I'm not missing those things as a feature.

Making inland republics is easy enough now that I'd consider them included. I'm trying to get to the end in my current game, but after that, I'll probably go back to ironman and knock out some cheevos as inland republics just to do it in a way no one has ever done before.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone toyed around with using a dynamic mercenary company as a varangian guard of sorts? I'd like to dump like 10k into one and then put it on permanent retainer, but I'm not sure it's possible to do it cost effectively even in my rich rear end silk road republic game. And I'd be afraid of it disbanding when a leader dies or through an event or something and my initial investment disappearing. Any ideas?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'm not sure if those types of mercenaries disband when the leader dies or not either. They're not actually your vassal when you form them though right? Probably the best way would be to give them money until they get enough men to siege a holding, then hire them when you're purposely broke so they attack you, let them win, then vassalize them later, either by just offering it if they're in your de jure lands or using the force vassalization cb. It's been a long time since I've vassalized a mercenary company but I think they'd be basically just like the varangians for the byzantines then. If you try this post the outcome because I'd be interested to see how it works with the dynamic companies. Will they get absolutely huge if they're constantly pulling in income from holdings?

Nah, they're not technically vassals. What I do know is that they don't invest money in themselves. It all just goes into the pocket of the grand master. The only person who can make them bigger is the head of the realm that created them, but the initial costs are dirt cheap. 50 gold for 100 cav or 100 LI, and you can upgrade the LI to pikemen or w/e, and light cav to heavy cav with another 50 gold. You get I think 15 percent of what they make. There is a use for early game characters as you can make a mercenary company, invest a bit into it until it's in the 100 gold initial hiring range, and it will bring in a bunch of money for you. I'm not sure how it would work with a vassalized dynamic mercenary company or one on permanent hire. I'll probably tinker around with it in the console a bit to see what my options are when I get to that point.

On a related note, China just entered a golden age and I just set a personal record for income by thousands.

I still have like 30+ silk road trade posts to conquer. :stare: Imagine a late game Chinese golden age with my dynasty on the Chinese throne, and a doubling of the silk road value on top of these boosts from the grace decision. loving hell. Maybe a few hundred a month upkeep on a dynamic mercenary company filled to the brim with heavy cav is an option after all. I'm hype to find out.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 22, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the fat, gay, white goonlord who identifies as black is the richest man in the world. goty

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jfood posted:

pretty sure that clicking on your top level shield/herald/title will also bring up the holder demense window as well.

That's how I do it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure people dying of natural causes in prison count too

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Prioritize in this order

1. Castles in your capital county
2. Castles in your capital duchy that aren't in your capital county
3. Castles anywhere else in the world.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Big downside to autonomous when reforming a religion I hadn't seen before. Not only can you not call great holy wars, but nobody can offer you any support when you get crusaded against. Having a great priest or Fylkiring yourself is really the only viable way to go.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Roland Jones posted:

So, how do the new crown artifacts work? I know there are a few crowns that exist when the game starts, and some more that come into existence with certain achievements, but what about the rest? Do you make them, or get them from events, or are they all specific to a fee particular titles and things? Also, since they're artifacts, do they conflict with wearing crown jewels you have smithed and which, unlike the dev diary pics of the new crowns, actually have stats? I really like the idea of crowns showing up in your portrait and all, but haven't seen much of anything about them after that one dev diary, so I'm wondering if there aren't actually that many in the game.

Give this a once over. It's pretty fleshed out already.
https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Artifacts

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Roland Jones posted:

Am I missing something? I can't find anything on this subject besides the aforementioned smithed crown jewels, which I already knew about, and a few things that already existed like the Iron Crown of Lombardy. None of the new Holy Fury ones seem to be here.

I'm talking about the ones mentioned in this dev diary, in case it's not clear. Stuff like the "Karen Crown". (Though the cursed diamond crown is there too and got a portrait version, despite being an older item, so that's cool.)

Oh, I hadn't seen that part. I thought you were referring to the different crowns you could smith and things like the iron crown of lombardy. It looks like they function the same as the iron crown of lombardy, but are tied to different titles? Maybe you have a chance of getting an event if you hold one of those titles? Not sure. Looks cool.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
got me that trade contract

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

binge crotching posted:

What culture are you using for your republics?

Nubian. For these big sprawling empires, I like to use solely the light infantry and archer retinues. You get the most troops/cap that way, which helps to keep your vassals in check, since they don't care what type of troops they have, they only care how many. With Nubian, I can make those retinues somewhat not lovely by using the cultural buildings in my capitol barony, which is nice since I still use my retinues for all my wars like I would if I had an actually built retinue with a bunch of cav and poo poo. I just adapt my strategy by throwing a sea of men at everyone, supply limits and casualties be damned. I think I used Ethiopian last time because their cultural buildings are actually a bit better IIRC, but I wasn't too concerned with power gaming my culture this time. The only real important thing for culture/religion with republics is that you are either Khazar or an Israeli culture, and/or that you have Jewish religion, to gain access to Radhanite compound buildings in your trade posts. I'm gonna convert later in the game and then go through and build them all once I've conquered the entire silk road.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

Man, this really should give you some kind of bloodline.

I think you get one if you conquer China. At least I assume that's what the Dragon King one is. On a somewhat related note, I tried attacking the western protectorate and they dropped 170k event troops on my head lol.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Communist Bear posted:

Hello! It's called theatrum orbis terrarum:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=580608756

I use it in both CK2 and EUIV because it makes things very pretty.

the font for troop numbers sucks. otherwise it's really nice looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I've conquered more of the world than I haven't at this point. I can get another 14 to my vassal limit by empowering the council and giving them authority on every issue, which I intend to do after I've conquered everything, and another 2 for dropping from high to medium centralization. I think that 16 plus the slots I have open now should be more than enough to subjugate the entire world. I have over 200,000 men in my retinue, and quite a bit more room to grow in that regard, so I'm also feeling good about my ability to hold it all together once I get there. I've stopped paying attention to my income. I'm making over 1,000 a month and it's coming in way faster than I can spend it, so I'm just building a huge pot right now that way later on it's basically going to function as though I have infinite money. One thing that's really bothering me is that it looks like AI rulers can't build hospitals. I might sperg out enough to go through and do it, but it's really stupid that they don't just do it themselves. I've got some more of Italy to conquer from the Umayyads before I create the Roman Empire. Then the focus shifts back east, where I will go for India, then Tibet, then finally the Western Protectorate and China itself. With that, my trade route will be finalized, and then it's just a matter of mopping up in Europe.

Africa is fairly rich at this point, but there's still quite a lot of room for growth. There's still a county or two on the continent that are tribal, although that should be taken care of soon. The steppe is also coming along, although due to how few holding slots most of those counties have, they'll probably still be the poorest region of the world. It's ahead of Eastern Europe in economic development as of now, but once I get in there and Eastern Europe turns feudal, that will change. Places like Kiev are going to be rolling in it. The silk road portion of the steppe is gonna be pouring in money however. There's something else fun I started doing in this game that I'm probably going to regret.

These are my patrician families with the direct vassals map mode in the background. So far, they are kings of Italy, the eastern Byzantine Empire, and the western Byzantine Empire. When I get around to it, the last will be the King of Spain. In theory, they should build up a major trade network throughout the Mediterranean to compliment my network throughout Africa and the silk road. In practice, they're probably just going to piss me off.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 25, 2018