Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Woo, page 1 post. Wondering if I want to play in the Balkans or go for the Russia formation achievement first when Honky Furry hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Brother Entropy posted:

i too am joining the 'Move Reaper's Due to Good DLC' faction

:yeah:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I can't watch youtube LPs of Paradox games because of this. It is amazing that they have poured so many hours into these games yet somehow still don't understand how they work.

Stuff like that is why I can't watch Arumba anymore. He jutters around at lightspeed and jams through event popups, and then is confused as to why a thing happened. It's unbearable.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'll properly catch up on the thread when I'm not playing, but there's a new event where your faithful dog can take an arrow for you in battle and you can either mourn him or go try to duel the guy that killed your dog.

10/10 would lose doggo again.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Palemdromes posted:

Tell me you avenged him

I bailed on that game cause it was hosed anyway. Rurikid don't gently caress around when it comes to war.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Is there a way to search for bloodlines? Other than just clicking on every character to see if they have one.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Torrannor posted:

There is! It's the last page of the ledger, you can click through a list of all bloodlines, even those that died out.

Yessss. Thank you a ton, I never would have found that on my own.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like there's too many game rules to deal with sometimes, like they need subcategories to keep them in line rather than scrolling through the whole list every time. And I wish I could keep sunset invasion off by default.

How long after a major DLC does it normally take for them to release balance patches to tweak all the outliers that they didn't forsee?

You can make and save rulesets. So when you start a game its as easy as clicking the 'load ruleset button' and selecting the slot you want.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

The Bold Kobold posted:

Considering the animal portraits exist, I wonder how long until someone eventually decides to make Redwall Kings a thing.

I'm still surprised that no one has already made it. Redwall is prime CKII material.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I bet Honkey Dong Country is just living his rear end off in the new Africa right now. Y'all are seriously tempting me to finally play down there sometime.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

SkySteak posted:

Where are you getting those animal/fantasy creature portraits? Is it a mod or part of an expansion?

It's a random world thing you can set. Just keep hitting the, I think it's the cultures button, and eventually 'Animal Kingdoms' will pop up as an option.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Diogines posted:

Thank you. Hilarious. How quickly did it take someone to find that?

I saw it in a youtube video from a guy I watch like two days before the game came out. Pdox wasn't very secret with it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

So I've seen a few things about Catholics having some pretty bad bugs around chaplains becoming the Pope and negative opinion modifiers firing when they shouldn't be. Can anyone chime in on exactly how bad it is in typical gameplay?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

TaurusTorus posted:

Someone repost that screed about how a man can punch a horse to death, citing Dark Souls as evidence.

I have a great need to know what the gently caress this is.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

It's even better than I imagined. :laffo:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

VelociBacon posted:

Just finally managed to get into this game after a few attempts. Is there a goon CK discord or slack?

I can't link it because I'm on mobile, but if you find your way to the mapgames discord, you can chat about ck2 and other super nerd games like it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

So where's this folder the game stores your randomly generated worlds in? I plan to do some playing around in the near future and I'd like to be able to keep that from getting all clogged up with crap.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Look man, just cause she ain't a looker doesn't mean squat.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Got pissed at the game making GBS threads all over my Afghan run attempt but still wanna play. Never done West Africa before. Last I remember, there was a bug in that area that flooded your treasury constantly as long as your capital was down south. Is that still a thing or did they fix that at some point?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

binge crotching posted:

It can still happen every 3 years, yes.

Ugh, guess I'm not doing an african game then. Don't wanna deal with that crap.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Every once in a while you get it perfect, and move straight from an old, well respected ruler and right into a fresh, 22 year old grandson.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Trying CKII again, and holy God am I overwhelmed by the number of buttons and menus. The tutorial popups keep saying "use the Diplomacy menu" and some such. Gee, thanks. Hope CKIII is somewhat clearer.

Also. If I'm looking at myself in the top-left pane, then I click one of my vassals, is there any way to get back to viewing myself in that pane without clicking on my face to close the pane, then clicking my face again to reopen it?

Honestly, just don't bother with the tutorial really. It was never the most stable thing in the first place, and I don't think any of the code has been touched at all in multiple expansions, so it's very outdated and buggy. I'd suggest either the classic 1066 Ireland start, or picking a vassal inside a larger blob, like the HRE or France. Then just poke around and experiment while asking for help, tips, and clarifications in here.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Today I'm gonna talk a bit (a lot), about what is almost certainly the most memorable character that I have yet to play in my time. He's definitely going to be one that I remember, along with this whole campaign really, it's been a ride and a half. Anyway, let's begin.

Meet Suleyman Tuyyibid, currently creeping up on the end of his life, while showing no signs of slowing down.

Before we get into his story, we need a little bit of background on just how he ended up where he is. You see, Caceres isn't really the heart of the empire, its a temporary capital used for one very specific purpose we'll get to much later. No, the Tuyyibids instead rule, and always have ruled, from Jaca, perched high in the slopes of the Pyrenees mountains, in the county of Alto Aragón. His family began with that single holding to their name. They were mostly unimportant for a good while, until they lucked into a legendary Chancellor, Tengene, who easily and rapidly found them claims, first on a few neighbors, and then on their duke, and eventually a kingdom, swelling them to an important player in the Umayyad northeast.

The real story begins here, with Suleyman's grandfather, Abdul, as he was the point where the dynasty went from regional power, to regional superpower, when he used his position as Marshal to organize a massive revolt after years of outright mismanagement of the realm by a series of terrible Caliphs that dragged the realm's soldiers off to die in hopeless wars in the middle east against a massive Orthodox superstate. The war was ultimately a quick one, as only the overseas holdings still supported the Caliph at that point, and they were too few to be even a token resistance. Once Abdul took the throne, those territories were promptly cut loose and left to fend for themselves in order to save the rest of the empire. Under Abdul, the realm was finally allowed to recover, with internal problems that had been festering for decades finally being set right, as internal powers were rearraigned and the arts were funded and encouraged. Things were in a good place when he passed on, and the crown and the Caliphate were handed down.

To Suleyman's father Mukhtar. Unfortunately this section is going to be quite brief, as all of Mukhtar's potential was snuffed out less than 3 years into his reign, when he took a long carriage ride off of a short cliff. Fortunately, he already had a son, who was now taking the throne at only 3 years of age. Thankfully for young Suleyman, his mother was very competent, and incredibly adept at statecraft. She kept her position as Regent for the next 13 years, keeping the realm stable as the boy-Caliph grew into a man capable of ruling all of Iberia.

Taking power at age 16, Suleyman found himself a genius wife and quickly popped out an equally genius heir, Yahya, who will also not be playing much of a role in this particular story, as Suleyman outlived him. But now we're at the meat of things, as while he was outliving his genius son, Suleyman went on an absolute tear across the land, and is doubtlessly going to be a major figure in this particular world's history. At age 19, he developed cancer, which nagged at him through several successful and one unsuccessful treatment, costing him his eye. A few years after that, at 23, he lost his hand, and the cancer along with it. Spurred on with a new appreciation for his life, he began to pick up the reforms where his grandfather had left off, stripping kings of their powers and reinvesting them into viceroyalties, conquering the Magreb, and building a fortress in the mountains of the dynasty's home while fighting off a number of attempted invasions and holy wars from the likes of France and Aquitaine, up to and including beating back an entire Crusade, with only the vassals of his realm to help as by this point the loss of Arabia left the Sunni faith nearly crippled. After the Shia managed to (temporarily) take them back, he began to work inside the realm to foster a secret Shia cult, to hopefully switch things over to a more stable religion. It wasn't to be, as the Shia were soon to lose all newly gained lands, in fact suffering a very similar decline to the one the Umayyads had gone through while attempting to hold the same lands years before.

In the middle of this uncertain religious period, Suleyman took the time to personally raise his grandson, Yahya the Younger, in the same way as he had and would continue to raise many other children of the greater dynasty. While he was learning the arts of war, an opportunity came off the back of another crusade, this one launched against the pagans of of the far northeast. While the catholic realms were battered, war weary, and far, far from home, Suleyman struck, launching a Jihad for the south of France. Smashing through what few local forces could be mustered to resist him, he seized control of the lands in rapid order, storming the capital of Aquitaine with tens of thousands of men. Yahya the Elder personally leading the assault, the castle was seized, and the kings entire family was captured, including the next 3 heirs in line for the throne, decisively ending the Jihad. Wheeling his victorious armies around, Suleyman struck again, declaring an invasion of Africa on the faltering Shia Caliphate, which collapsed within a year.

Standing tall, ruling over an empire that was larger than it had ever been, impossibly wealthy, Suleyman looked at the state of things. The realm, and his rule, were as secure as they could possibly be. He had wisely steered the Caliphate to a dominant position of power in the west, unchallenged save for the full cooperation of Europe, who would dare to rock the boat now, after nearly 6 decades of prosperity? There was one answer to that, religion. By this point, Islam was nearly extinct. The long term occupation and conversion of the Arabian peninsula had tanked both Shia and Sunni legitimacy. In fact, Suleyman was the sole thing propping up Sunni from being a completely heresy ridden mess. When he finally left this world, so would Islam, for he was the last gasp. He had been seeking an answer to this problem for years, and finally found a way. With secret pacts and backroom deals, the Caliph, the greatest hero the Muslim world had seen in generations... converted, setting aside the title of Caliph and being crowned an emperor by the Pope himself. While shocked, none of his vassals could protest, not to the man who had never once lead them wrong, since the days of a good many of the lords grandfathers. So they followed suit, and the word of Christ began to spread throughout Hispania for the first time in hundreds of years.

And there we leave off, with conversion efforts beginning and a whole lot of inter-realm warfare as those who haven't already converted are removed from power, and the Pope prepares to call a Crusade for Scandanavia to combat the viking menace. Hell of a character, and a drat good dynamic story, the exact thing that I loving love this game for. Nowhere else can I have a character that organically ends up fighting off a massive holy war, launching his own, and finally ending up fighting alongside the once hostile religion in another holy war. loving incredible, made all the better by the fact that Suleyman's story played out in one, gigantic session played overnight, and its still not over yet, as this 69 (nice) year old man refuses to die.

Thank you if you bothered to read far too many words about what I did last night, I didn't intend for it to be so long, but once I started writing I just got really into it and couldn't stop. I'll leave off by explaining what exactly I did to end up Catholic, as I kind of had to gloss over it because there's no way to not make it sound gamey as poo poo. Basically, Carceres is somehow still Fraticelli, even though Iberia has been 100% Muslim for ages at this point. I saw that, moved my capital over, destroyed the Caliph title (as that keeps you locked to some flavour of Muslim), and secretly converted to the local religion. I then publicly embraced it, and promptly abandoned it for Catholicism. You have no idea how drat good it felt to finally get out of a religion with low MA. I wasn't kidding about Suleyman propping up Sunni. It was around 60~ MA before, and after his conversion, it immediately dropped to single digits.

tl;dr I write a ton of words gushing about my really cool character in a really fun game I've been playing.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 7, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Skipping over this new weird goon thing of actively looking for reasons to call someone terrible to post a tiny update on my Iberia game.

Suleyman's grandson is doing excellently, his reign is stable and the black plague was mostly uneventful thanks to a massive hospital building program. The next big thing for him is to decide whether or not to go through with marrying his heir to the queen of Egypt, as they are powerful, but also a massive internal mess as well as being a logistical problem to defend. Still not sure which way I'm gonna go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

God, I really wished they had ever fixed the muslim adultery event. I'm loving sick of dealing with that event every couple months with any muslim ruler that dares to actually love one of his wives. Really dragging down any time I try to do something with muslims.