Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there are portrait pack to replace the current ango-saxon or saxon ones? I'm not sure which they're covered by but they're pretty rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like 769 start, but the rightful rule of Francia is Germanic pagan.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm gonna retire my Wessex / Brittania Empire game. It's the longest game I've played (Charlemagne start to 1200) and had some pretty neat stuff happen.

Germanic Saxony not only held off against Charles, they became the dominant power in Europe. Most of the Northern coastal Frankish counties as well as chunks of England and Ireland fell to Saxony, and almost all of Eastern Europe.

Catholic MA was down to 6% at one point. Rome fell very early to Abbasids as they did their conquest of southern Italy / Sicily. Rome was the third Crusade target.

The Miaphysite Abyssinian Empire is one of the great powers of the world, holding East Africa, Egypt, and Persia.

The Byzantine Empire expanded all the way to the North East corner of the map. When the Mongols spawned, the Byzantine Empire chumped them.

Tibet expanded aggressively westward. Stuck between the Byzantine Empire, Abyssinia, and Tibet, the Abbasids were completely wiped out.

Nearly everybody is chaste. It's no exaggeration to say that easily 85% of characters within range at times would have this trait. Thanks to this, there have been multiple times where my dynasty is hanging on by a thread, with only a few surviving members left.

I survived the black death. I had no heirs when the plague struck, and as soon as I shut the gates my physician died. Then I got the note that I and my wife were sick. I was expecting the game to end, but I tried to recruit a new physician. A drunk, one-eyed, one-handed Russian genius showed up. He handily cured me and my wife without chopping anything off. My wife eventually had a child, and the game went on.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Charlz Guybon posted:

Can you post a map?

The new patch weired up the map a bit, but here's a religion map picture I took earlier.

Southern India is part of the Mongol Empire, as is the random Tengri in the North east. The Buddhism and Pink Hindu is Tibet, which reaches Byzantium.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My second character was a woman, with a matrilineal marriage. She was also did the legend warrior lodge event and created a bloodline. Great news, except it passes matrilineally and she only had sons.

Cool bloodline for the decade I still had it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the line about the angels is to be taken as hyperbole and zealous retelling of the actual events, multiple times removed from the source as the news finally reaches Europe.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I dig the new portraits. No longer is the world being run by mutant frog men.

I think I beat my personal record on being a monster. My quick daughter was set to inherit, until I had my first son who was an imbecile. I threw him into the Oubliette before his 1st birthday. When he was 15 I got cancer, and somehow he was still trucking down there.

So I fed him to bears.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All I know is don't take warmongering.

You'll instantly tank your MA because your vassals will constantly declare holy wars on neighbours 10 times the size of them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In my Britannia game I was on a non stop excommunication train from every pope, despite being Catholicism's sole saviour and single handed winner of multiple crusades. I was the only kingdom to stay Catholic at one point, the only one to join the crusade to liberate Rome, the only one in North Africa, and the only one for the first crusade against Hispania. I was also the most pious person alive at a few points. The Pope was just so pissed off about my free investiture I guess.

Turns out it's also really easy to push an anti-pope's claim to the title, and that solved all my problems.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

big dyke energy posted:

I've had the ai put Theodoric on the French throne before, so it definitely can happen!

Speaking of ai, though, has anyone had the ai reform a religion yet? I've had it happen before holy fury, and right now me and Saxony both have two of the holy sites. If the ai will reform I need to do it like... now, but if not I could wait until the viking age.

Friend of mine had Saxony reform Germanic last night. They had control of Saxony, Denmark, Norway and Sweden for decades before he could, so he was probably missing the piety or MA.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
What are peoples' thoughts on the new tribal retinues? Sometimes I miss the ability to burst out units quick, but having a thousands strong army just sitting around has been helpful as well. Chews through money, though, and smaller tribal realms seem to put up a much better fight.

Tribal troop counts seem higher overall, probably also due to the cheaper prestige upgrades in tribal holdings. When I started invading Ireland, the king had 12000 troops between him and his vassals.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Azhais posted:

The tribal retinues cost prestige to maintain, not money, at least mine does. I'm at like -1.5 prestige a month maintaining my 1800 troops

I'm about 50/50 on my tribal 100light/50heavy (prestige) and 200 heavy infantry (gold) retinues. That might be it.

Didn't notice my prestige taking a hit from the reinforcement, but didn't look closely either.l

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dongattack posted:

I'm pretty sure i have tried to rightclick that message before and nothing happened, but i'll try the ctrl clicking, cheers.

Are you getting popups or just notifications in the message box? If it's a popup you should be able to click the envelope button or go to message settings to disable it or change it to a high/low notification message.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Game's not over until everybody's inbred.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Warmongering kinda sucks unless you want every AI germanic pagan on the planet to call a holy war on the HRE, lose instantly, and tank your MA to nothing. I prefer Proselytizing or Unyielding. They go batshit aggressive with warmongering.

Sons of Ragnarok is definitely a no brainer though.

I'm trying out animistic to see what that's like as the second doctrine, but haven't seen much out of it yet.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MinistryofLard posted:

Are the new prestige retinues for Vikings not allowed to raid? I can't select it - is it only raised levies that can raid now?

They can raid, but you can only toggle to raiders in peace time.

Also make sure they didn't get combined with any event troops that are forbidden to raid.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Gavelkind hasn't been a problem for me since Holy Fury launched. Claims duels are easy mode.

I don't always get my preferred heir, but I always get all the titles.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I fill my capitol with castles (and hold them). Everything else in my demense is 50/50 baronies and castles.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

twistedmentat posted:

There's no way for me to capture provinces without a claim? I can't just decide I want a somewhere, march by troops in and absorb it into my kingdom? Fabricate claims either takes forever or happens right away, or I can't use them because the place I have a claim on is not independent.

Claims are the normal way of doing it. You can either forge your own, or find someone that has a claim to it, bring them to your court, land them, and press their claim.

If they're of a different religion, some religions can use Holy Wars on your neighbours. Pagan religions can use Conquest CBs to invade neighbours of different faith. You can also use border disputes to invade your neighbour just because.

If the place isn't independent, you can still declare war for the county be declaring on their liege.

As for picking a random county not adjacent to you, some of the bigger CBs can do that, like great holy wars and whatnot, but otherwise you're pretty limited.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Casus_Belli is a list of the CBs and how to use them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gobblecoque posted:

Be sure to seduce the Pope if possible. Along with the standard opinion boost, being his lover also gets a you separate large bonus on the Pope's consideration of granting you a claim.

I keep antagonising the pope to make him my rival and then try to duel him, but he always chickens out. The caliph at least comes out to play when I do that to him.

Since Christians are basically non entities in my game, the Abassids are the biggest threat right now. They've been super stable all game and murdering Caliphs in honourable one on one combat doesn't seem to affect that.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can start destabilising their realm?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You don't need Centralization, just tribal authority.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So this is cool. I'm on Primogeniture. I have three sons. Between those sons, and some matrilinearly married daughters, I have about 8 dynastic grandsons.

My heir is some random rear end in a top hat that's not related to me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

420 Gank Mid posted:

Some relevant questions might be

What is your top level title? (Emperor/King/Duke/Count)
How many of your top level do you have?
Are they all on the same succession laws?
Are you a vassal or independent?
Are any of your heirs bastards/nuns/castrated(if greek) or otherwise incapable of inheriting?

I'm Emperor of a custom Empire.
Two Empire titles total - Custom and Hispania.
Both are Agnatic Primogeniture, as is my kingdom of Norway title. (I have more Kingdom titles I don't care about.)
Independent.
Nothing's wrong with any of them I can tell.

I loaded an older game and took a look.
2 of my sons (oldest and youngest) took to Orthodox after joining the Varangian guard. They won't convert back.
My middle son is set to inherit, and is still Germanic. He has a Cathar lover and after some testing seems to like switching to Cathar. At this point I lose my dynastic succession. Oh well; I murdered her and resurrected my game.

Maybe being the wrong religion disinherits people? That seems new. It also disinherits their children, because I have a handful of Germanic grandsons through my sons and matrilinearly married daughters. Once my sons convert over my heir becomes a non dynastic cousin.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Glass of Milk posted:

I reformed the Germanic religion as Saxony a while ago and the first Crusade that's bring called is against little old me. Is there any way to prevent me getting destroyed by several dozen Catholic countries and holy orders?

Hit Rome as hard and fast as you can and you might be able to force a 100% warscore.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It should end with CK2 - Judgement Day where when the game times out, or during a random chain of events that can trigger, signs of your religion's biblical apocalypse start happening. It all culminates with world ending battle against evil supernatural hordes with Jesus himself returning, or armies of dead Norse faithful characters returning as free retinues for Norse characters, etc.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bold Robot posted:

My dude became HRE and immediately got excommunicated because the Pope wants a bunch of Italian lands that are in the empire. I tried to repent, but he demands that I transfer a bunch of Italian vassals to him. I don’t intend to keep my family as HRE long term, but it would be cool if I could not have my current guy be excommunicated. Is there anything I can do other than giving up the Italian vassals?

Make your own, cooler, Pope.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bold Robot posted:

How do I appoint an antipope?

It's been a while since I played Catholic, but I think you need free investiture. Then go to your religion tab, and you should have a list of all your vassal bishops. They have a right click decision or a pope hat or something you click to declare them antipope.

That should also give you a cassus belli to seat your antipope in Rome, which would make him the true pope and Rome would end up your vassal.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as germanic pagans in 867 start, is there any reason not to work towards reforming and becoming feudal asap?

Going feudal will destroy your levies and you probably won't recover your numbers for quite some time. The troop quality will be better, but it's easy to drop from 15K down to 2 or 3 once the decision pops. I always make sure I have retinues in place to keep that numerical superiority, both over my vassals and my heathen neighbors. You also need the numbers for raiding so that's another consideration.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Goons Are Great posted:

Why is holding more than one kingdom title bad? Honest question, I sometimes do this but did not have major problems with it so far, but maybe I was just lucky.

If Ironman is turned off you can in the console allow_laws and freely change every law in every title you hold, no matter if regular or succession. However if you have to get the council or vassals to sign off on it (I don't think that's the case when changing succession laws this way, as the console command also circumvents requirements in general) it may be impossible or take a long time.

Dukes of your non primary kingdom will get negative modifiers, since they want to be king. That might just apply to emperors though; I can't remember.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I've decided to go feudal. The problem is, most of my vassals are tribal. How do I rectify this?

Also the moral authority of the Catholic church is 47.8, however, they've lost every holy site, and lost a crusade and a great holy war.

They should try to feudalize themselves when they can, but they need a properly upgraded holding with the Stone Hillfort and all that jazz. If you want to burn money, you can upgrade their holdings so they can take the decision sooner, but otherwise just wait and they should catch up when they can.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cargohills posted:

Only problem now is that I'm very close to switching one of my original Kingdoms to primogeniture: but will doing that cause one of them to fall away from me again?

If your primary title is gavelkind, it will go to the selected heir. Your primo title will go to your oldest son. If they happen to be the same, you keep both. If they don't elect your eldest son for gavelkind, you'll only keep that title.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Foul Fowl posted:

Question: My capital got sieged down and I lost the Ancient Crown that you get for reforming Slavic. I settled the guy who had it and now it's in the hands of one of my counts - what's the best way to get it back? Marry the owner to my heir?

Murder until you're the heir of the owner, and then murder again.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DeathChicken posted:

So question. My King of Ireland died, left everything to his son. Gravy. That guy has three sons under Primogen. The youngest has Genius, ideally I'd like him to be heir, but the game won't let me just kill the other two kids. Easiest way to do this short of the drastic measure of enacting reverse succession?

Can you make the others take the vows? I don't remember the requirements for that.

You can make them into a commander and make them lead troops against larger hostile forces to try to get them killed. You can make them spymaster and send them to Constantinople and hope they get caught and either executed or castrated. Give them a council position in a place with an epidemic and they might catch it too; I think that makes them vulnerable to it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I learned as an Duke in Ireland. You're not too small to stand up for yourself, and you have room to expand and take the full Kingdom. Even when you get the full Kingdom, it's not an endless expanse of territory surrounded by villains. You get the full gambit of play, but you're not being overrun by the HRE or heathens and you're not beholden to a bad liege's wars and politics.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Spider Plant posted:

Question regarding how best to distribute counties as a King. I'm playing through an Ireland start (for the second time. Bought some dlc and things went wrong) and I've just claimed the title of King. I'd like to hold on to two duchies and be close to my holdings limit - what do I do with the rest? I have worryingly few male dynasts, so I plan to throw them duke titles when I can. Is it fairly safe to give county titles to random courtiers even if they aren't of my dynasty?

My last game I made King, gave too much to to few people, then buying conclave randomly switched me to gavelkind succession, and half my council and vassals hated me. This is going much better! People actually like me and my King isn't an idiot!

You can give ducal titles to random nobodies easily enough. Your next step will be to not let them grow too large without your consent. Your new duke that loves you now can turn into his rear end in a top hat kid with 3 duchies and high intrigue very quickly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DeathChicken posted:

Well, after the shitshow that was her father's reign, Deidre the Queen of Ireland is having a peaceful go of it. I had to give her vassals a few territories each to get things beneath a reasonable limit, but other than that, she might actually pull off this Empire of Britannia thing in her lifetime.

...except for the small problem, she's decided she's a lesbian at age 15 and the game is helpfully blaring that there are no heirs, her death means the end of the game. K

You can still grab a matrilineal marriage and will probably pop out a few kids anyways. take a focus that ups fertility if you need better chances. Or use seduction focus to really try for a kid.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I control the marriage of all my heirs, but I don't like landing them. It would help them in the prestige department, but it also opens the risk of them divorcing the genius wife I picked up for them, and having them materially marry some random 60 year-old countess halfway across the continent.

I'll land other dynasty members, but if they have claims on my stuff they can sit in my court and be useless.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It depends on the situation. Landing anyone you're related to will improve your dynasty score and increase the inheritance pool if you run into a dead-end on the family tree, but close relations like siblings might have strong claims on your titles. It might not matter that generation, but if their children inherit those claims as well as their own titles, you might have an antagonist in the future. Cousins are probably safer, and even more distant relations are even better.

If you want some generic "yes-men" as your vassals, random courtiers will love you for landing them. Landing old men that might not produce an heir will also let you drop your current holdings count and allow them develop that land, and when they die it goes right back to you.

Either way, if you land someone that has a claim you can press for them, they'll stay your vassal (as long as it's lower than your current title). This is one of the key things I look at when landing people and I want to expand.

A problem I run into when running Pagan games is by landing my dynasty, I'll can reach a point where all of the eligible marriage candidates will be distantly related to me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Doesn't the master seductress trait stop affecting people after you're a certain age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

chaosapiant posted:

So I started another new game as Harald during the Viking start. He has an army just kinda chillin in a county of his, and he's the army leader. When I check the levies screen, none are raised and I don't see anything under retinues. Is this Norse-specific, or is there a reason this army exists? Is there a part of the UI i'm missing that explains these dudes?

Some people get special event troops that are just kinda there, and free. I think Harald historically created the first unified Norway, so they beefed up his troop count a bit to align with that.