Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I just declared a holy war on a Buddhist Nomadic Horde.

They called both the Byzantines (Orthodox) and the Seljuks (Sunni) in as allies. And no, they weren't vassals of the Nomads either.

Also in general, why are Nomads so strong? I had a 10k stack go against a 5k nomad stack (same amount of HA) and the Nomads won.

horse archers are gud, plus if you engage in a steppe province (maybe plains as well?) I believe they get some nasty bonuses. If you are like me you will also inevitably forget that the Khagan can call the other clans in as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this post wasn't actually earnest, i feel like I should point that out

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

On the topic of broken DHEs, has anyone seen any of the turkish warlords fire recently? I don't think I have since like... conclave or way of life

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

In general I think India is way overtuned in terms of province wealth and its holdings. Followers of Arjuna used to be available from any start date and would also just clown on any muslims trying to break into the subcontinent, but I think they fixed that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure how you do that now. I declared a GHW for Saxony as the Scandi Empire, won with 99% of warscore, then watched it become an independent kingdom. I was never given an option to set beneficiary.

The Crusades mechanic is christian (catholic?) only. Can patriarchs even declare crusades?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SlothfulCobra posted:

Personally I like the story of the Knights Templar lending out money and then the King of France accused them all of heresy and destroyed them.

Kind of accurate? Some steppe nomads wound up with ridiculous amounts of wealth (at least from a eurocentric perspective) from being able to control the silk road, but it's not like they were gonna build something huge with all that cash.

When the Mongols conquered China and then popped up in the west, there are accounts of them wearing fine, fine clothing, but then all tattered and such because the mongols didn't believe in washing laundry. Like they were all bankers who lost all their money in the stock market.

steppe tribal confederations were primarily oriented towards trade. they didn't accumulate fortunes inadvertently or by accident, it was the #1 goal of most steppe leaders; chinggis was actually an exception to this rule, given that his repeatedly stated motivation was literally to be recognized as king of the entire world (although even in that case, his invasion of Khwarizm was made significantly easier by collaboration with muslim merchant cartels who found the mongols easier to work with). i'm not familiar with that particular anecdote but tbh it sounds like dan carlin racist bs, like the ol "mongols didn't recognize other cultures as even human maaaaaaan" canard

sorry if i come off as testy, but central asia and pastoral nomadism are a central area of research for me and it's exhausting how much accumulated cultural baggage is hung on the "steppe savages" myth

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Charlz Guybon posted:

gently caress that bullshit. In Storm of Chaos the forces of Chaos got their asses absolutely stomped and only ludicrous blatant cheating on the part of Games Workshop even made it close. We're talking 1927 rigged Liberian election level cheating.

not really. They just horribly misdesigned that event

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

holy fury is not the last dlc. Perhaps it might have been, but it had a fantastic reception. they've since made it clear in a winky-nudgy way that we "will know" when it's the last dlc, presumably because they'll give it a proper sendoff and pr blitz

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think the CK2+ lead's decision to release the Holy Fury-compatible beta literally the day before another patch may have been unwise (but it's not like I tried to stop him.)

the current + team seems very... pigheaded? I dunno, they just have kind of a poo poo attitude

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dallan Invictus posted:

Ha, no, the name is just a coincidence, I work on CK2+ (off and on, mostly for maintenance/compatibility stuff because even with Holy Fury taking tons of inspiration from mods I still can't quite play the game vanilla so I help update the mod pretty much entirely so I can play it sooner).

I do feel pretty similarly about Lux Invicta though, except that I thought it had stopped being updated years ago.

I've been through like three or four lead devs for + at this point and yeah, vukica gets kinda crotchety in public a lot of the time but a) if I had to deal with Paradox forum posters for free I absolutely would too and b) he's kinda stepped back anyway because his real life got busy and the new guy (really an old guy picking the reins back up) is WAY more conciliatory/open. Arguably to a fault.

Anyway, re: CK2+, the GitHub is back to being public here so people can follow progress or (if you're brave) try and play with hot code. I figure I'll dive into updating for 3.1 after I get back from work, it honestly doesn't look like it'll be TOO much of a delay, the timing has just been kinda funny.

yeah that's certainly fair. I've been dying without chalcedonian christianity and the plus factions so i'm p pumped right now

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i dunno if it's been brought up here yet, but strong hints dropping in the Pdox forums that a new bookmark between 867-1066 is coming :woop:
I'm very excited, there's a ton of cool poo poo happening between those dates. My personal hope is for the Iranian Intermezzo

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Honky Dong Country posted:

These are particularly good when you're just a babby and your would-be murderer somehow fucks up killing an infant. You're just like oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress...oh...good this guy's incompetent as hell, whew.

Especialpy good when "your regent is standing at an open window..." fires right after.

I'm never a good lad

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'd be fonder of sunset invasion if there were like double the associated events and half the event troops

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Only thing that still annoys me about threat is that it essentially kneecaps the mongols. They rack it up very quickly, get a cross-religion coalition, and the AI starts spazzing out trying to fruitlessly siege down capital provinces from Xinjiang to the Urals

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Torrannor posted:

Darkrenown (one of the CK2 dev goons) even had part of this quote under his avatar here on SA, it's probably one of the most famous CK2 Paradox forums quotes.

It was a satirical post, however, which i think has been forgotten

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

You can land them, and it'll seal your borders to raiders for a period. Can't really recall how worthwhile trade it is, though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This sounds really fantastic to me, i didn't expect this much detail or attention to regional progress and maintaining a semi-historical timeline. Also really like that it interfaces with characters directly through the cultural head

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sindai posted:

That's a pretty neat way to tie together two systems that technically existed but didn't do much in CK2 while also giving the player a couple more reasons to care about them and ways to interact with them.

And it's cool that, if I understand correctly, when you have a large empire you get more innovations faster by keeping it multicultural.

can't wait to go max mughal

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sky Shadowing posted:

I kind of was a little weirded out when I see that because of CK3's engine, they're going to have the map be... sideways. So northern will be to the left of the map, southern on the right.

...wha? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Raenir Salazar posted:

My guess is the CK3 map is 8192 by 4096 (so wider than it is tall) and a Up-Down map won't look as good or be able to make use as much of the screen space as they would like?

fair enough, but man alive when you're playing a literal map game it kind of sucks to have it perpetually on its side*

*yes i know it's arbitrary