Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do we have a multiplayer thread? My weekly sunday paradox megacampaign is resetting back to CK2 and we're recruiting players. Our recruitment thread on Paradox is Here.

We play every Sunday except on major holidays at Noon EST to 4 PM EST. We typically play vanilla-ish with the DLC etc, we're equalizing de jure duchies/kingdoms for balance reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yep, once you got enough money to do that, the concil will barely be a problem anymore and elective becomes the best inheritance law.

In this aspect, conclave made the game easier (without favors, there's no sure way to force electors to support your heir, irrc)

Wait you can buy favors to pick your heir? Does this get expensive though in larger realms?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

The entire college of Cardinals just vanished without a trace

Rapture came early.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This may sound strange but is there a way to setup circumstances so that your AI vassals will create a Merchant Republic on their own? Suppose I cannot give any title county or above, to a Town. But I can give a Town to any Feudal lord. Is there a way through assassinations or so on to result in a Merchant Republic, or County Republic being created?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Coolguye posted:

you can in fact do this!

1) get title to a City in your realm. it should ideally be in a county that is coastal and that belongs to a small duchy. precisely how you do it is irrelevant, usually i drop the intrigue focus on the baron-level mayor and antagonize him at the same time. the combination of spies plus low relations means that he'll start trying to plot and i'll catch him doing something naughty fairly quick.
2) make the City the county capital. you do this by right clicking on the town in the county screen.
3) hand off the county title to a courtier. it barely matters who, but DO NOT make it a dynast unless you are playing a strictly agnatic game, the inheritance rules surrounding MRs play hell with any feudal laws that include women.
4) this will make the courtier the Lord Mayor of (County). Now give him the ducal title.

Boom, you have created a vassal merchant republic and merchant republic things will now happen. enjoy your taxes they will be substantial.

The only issue here I think is giving the courtier the county title which I for various restrictions not allowed to do. Basically the rules in my game we're not allowed to create a MR directly; so I can't directly click buttons that would result in a republic. In fact I think I already specified I can't directly give anyone either the county or ducal title. I need an indirect way of doing so.

However it's all good if the AI somehow does it on their own. But there's only a limited number of county republics in the Iron century start, so ideally I need a means of indirectly coaxing the AI to do it on their own.

e: My current thinking is I could maybe do the first couple of steps, acquire a City directly, make it county capital, and then give that county to a feudal duke with gavelkind and more than 1 child boom, when they die it should split and one of them should be a Republic?

e2: Whelp, I managed to get some dude to inherit a county whose capital was a town but the dude didn't turn into a Lord mayor?

e3: Okay I think I figured out a way. I have to have an AI vassal who is duke level, give them the town-county (but make sure to keep the barony for myself so it stays a town-county). It may be the case they need to be over their demense limit so I also have fatten them up with counties, but as soon as they are over their limit, they will hand out the town-county to a courtier and BOOM AI made coastal republic.

The next "phase" that's a little more difficult is then getting them to create the duke title on their own, so I have to destroy the title, give them money and then hopefully to make it on their own. But before that I need to transfer that Town-County vassal back to me.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 29, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have a problem with my succession laws.

I have in the game rules, gender settings set to "all". I edited my King title to be Enatic-Cognatic, so far so good.

But whenever I die, my realm law resets to Agnatic-Cognatic.

At some point I acquired a second King title which we edited both to enatic-cognatic, but for some reason only one but not the other resets when I die.

Whats happening here?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My megacampaign group has restarted. We're using the mod After the End in order to provide a non-eurocentric change of pace and hopefully shake up diplo. We're crucially short on players though so if anyone finds my aars entertaining enough to consider joining please send me a PM and I'll get you sorted! Or shorted if you prefer playing dwarfs.

For those unfamiliar, After the End is a mod that takes place 700 years in the future, but after a apocolyptic nuclear war is believed to have devasted the entire world leaving much of it uninhabited. With the exceptions of Japan, the United Kingdom and I think Brazil? As being the ones that were mostly intact or recovered more quickly; but they aren't important right now.

Personally I am choosing to RP this scenario as being a fantasy alternate world history taking place in Fantasy North America, but anywho.

Here's the world map for North America (South and Central America I'm not including as they're not within the playable area, a special house rule where players aren't allowed to expand past a certain geographical point):

The future liberals want!

Here is an approximate map of the current roster, I am missing I think 1 or 2. As you can see much of the fly-over states are unpopulated in both people and players, as is typical. Checkmarked is my approximate location, in the best place, the land of Sea Trash. And I am its King.

Everyone lives as is expected in the only places worth living in any timeline or worldline...

To briefly summarize:
Me: Seattle/Cascadia.

Everyone else (West Coast aka the Best Coast):
Vancouver Island (A Merchant Republic)
San Fran.
Channel Islands which I wasn't aware existed as also some kind of Pirate Republic.

Everyone Else East Coast The Least-Most:
Boston (Squid Huggers)
New York (Batman)
South Carolina.
Georgia.
Florida (Someone Who Did Not Show Up)

Everyone Else Who Lives Huddled Together in the Ruins of a Former Great Civilization:
Detroit, oh wait

(They're rp'ing as basically the Mars Tech Priests people)

There's supposed to be a couple more but they didn't show up the first week.

Here is my realm, the duchy of Puget.

Cascadia seems to be comprised of worshippers of the Gaian religion, I'm not exactly sure of the ATE lore, I am assuming they're basically like celts.

What's fairly convenient is they're Enatics, as I typically attempt to play Matriarchy's in CK2 whenever I can.

I didn't save a screenshot of my character as I made them but this should give an idea:

I made a min-max munchkin character after confirming with the GM there's no rules on the character creator other than don't pick any genetic traits, except for left-handed. Since early CK2 your levies are highly correlated to your martial stat I aimed to max martial.

After spending an excruciating amount of time waiting for my levies to regenerate I invaded my Olympian neighbour.

I successfully invaded them, but I got raided by local tribals which nearly foiled my war but I fended them off and took over my neighbour.

However those tribals launched an invasion, attempting to take Puget from my (ironic). However my 30 martial Duchess cut the cur in half in single combat which ended the war. Which was extremely fortunate for me as I was exhausted dealing with the earlier raid and the previous war and didn't have the troops even with the Holy warrior mercs to defeat them in pitched battle.

Once my levies recovered again I resumed my conquest southwards.

Over in Vancouver, the player there died like three times and game over'd at least twice. Merchant Republic's are apparently dangerous for your health. The player in Georgia died a similar number of times and so did too I think the San Francisco player. I was one of the few players to have no issues despite my glass cannon build that begged for the universe to crack back at me.

Our GM playing the pirate republics with the eye patch to prove it is busy reaving and plundering Socal.

And nothing of value was lost

The East Coast as it stands at around that time during the session:

Ia ia, ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

At the end the session I managed to create the Kingdom of Cascadia.

The Sapphire of the West

I had to very quickly eject some baronies and counties that had negative relations to switch from Gavelkind to Primo before forming the Kingdom.

Not North America at the end of the session.

The future refused to change...

We have a house rule that no one can go above 30 counties in size as part of an effort to prevent blobbing and to try to preserve AI's for Europa IV (as this is a conversion game). So I have a limit as to how big I can get. My priority is to expand south along the coast and acquire coastal territory for EU and to keep the mountains as a defencive line.

Lincoln to my East is my largest AI threat as they are a tribal realm with something like 20,000 troops in allied vassal tribal troops. I actually have an alliance with one of the larger vassals of West Snake but this wasn't particularly deliberate, and I am uncertain of its strategic value at this time.

The merchant republic player above me finally seems to have stabilized their situation, I stabbed that player in the back last campaign so I am concerned they might hold a grudge, it isn't viable for me to preemptively strike at them but I suppose there is a way if we're willing to cooperate for me to benefit from their wealth but I'm unsure of the exact mechanics, although I think I need to take back from them the trade route trade port thingy.

My next project will be to take the purple country south of me. I had taken Portlandia before this screenshot that brought my borders further south, they were a bit trouble because they had about equal numbers to me until I noticed they had raised mercs to fight as part of a coalition in a war across the country. So I waited for them to run out of money and disband their mercs and then I declared war which I think was actually fairly a non-event.

There was a county, I think it was Clark? Which was in actuality a holy warrior place or something because they raised a boatload of troops that weren't mercs and that was touch and go but I managed to burn them out.

There was also a vestige of the Duchy of Olympia north of me that I made sure to snipe before Lincoln took it.

I now have a soft max of 5,000 levies and a pretty dominant position in the Northwest.

I have claims on the Duchy of Williemette which is my immediate goal next week, and then I will vassalize what remains.

In the intermediate my goals will be to keep going south to take Jefferson, establishing a strong foothold in Northern California, and ideally take Francesco and the Valley as tributary buffer states to keep the GM at arms length from me. We had friendly enough relations last campaign but I don't trust them and if I don't manage to gain a dominant position over them now then I never will.

Map to put my words into context.

We will fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fuligin posted:

...wha? Why?

My guess is the CK3 map is 8192 by 4096 (so wider than it is tall) and a Up-Down map won't look as good or be able to make use as much of the screen space as they would like?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fuligin posted:

fair enough, but man alive when you're playing a literal map game it kind of sucks to have it perpetually on its side*

*yes i know it's arbitrary

You mean like this?

e: replaced with version without the bad word.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 12, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hellioning posted:

So obviously that 'commentary' is just ironic but I'm annoyed at the ironic fake complaint that coastlines shouldn't look like that.

Every fantasy map should have fjords, they're loving amazing.

Where else to hide your magic doomsday superweapon!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

Kind of wish I could have gotten in on this. I've had a lot of fun with this mod.

You still can! We're only on our second session! There's hundreds of years to go! :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Awesome synopsis! For the first time in literally years AARs for our campaign seems to be accomplishing their original purpose: Attracting Attention (which is why btw, writing up an AAR of at least 500 words or equivalent effort gets you a 'reward', make sure to crosspost the AAR to the paradox aar thread we have up and claim your reward!)

I'll be posting my own AAR soon, I took a couple of screenshots, and I took saves when we rehosted so I should have some.

SirPhoebos posted:

While it looks like a couple of my preferred starts have already gotten et, I might be tempted to try out the Badgerlings.

You should! We desperately need new blood to keep diplo fresh. CK2 is shaping up to be a fairly PvE centric campaign since everyone is far apart, but things tend to get a little more cutthroat in EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Two weeks worth of updates to examine and consider!

At the end of the first session my burgeoning Kingdom was established, the reign of my first ruler going strong.

The end of the First Age of Reclaimation...

You can see on the map the shape of all the player realms including my own. My realm has some "holes" in it due to some last minute
releasing of vassals with negative loyalty in order to allow myself to adjust my realms, primarily switching to Primogeniture before forming the Kingdom title.

The Second Age of Reclaimation Begins...

The third map shows the end of what I call "The Second Age of Reclaimation" where I reclaimed the released territories and expanded my way south into California.

gently caress the Redwoods, you'll know why later

During this period the player north of me in Vanvouver continued to die out and his republic failing for good, he decided to move further north into northern British Columbia to play I think a tribal? Their troubles would not end.

The second age of Reclaimation would come to an end with the death of Matriarch Iriael of the most Azure dynasty Lazuli, otherwise known collectively as the Lazulae. Her daughter, Ariael would rule for 10 years and bring the Second Age of Reclaimation to a close with her ascension. By the time of her death Iriael had brought the realm of the Azurites as far south as the redwoods of California; though this would be the source of no end of costly conflict with the Empire of California.

Ariael came at a good time, with her high diplomacy and Grey Eminence education she was fit to fix the failings of the First Matriarch, and forge bridges and lasting relationships between the new subjects brought into the fold during the Wars of the First and Second Reclaimation. She was initially seen as untrustworthy (lol at -100 relations with all my vassals due to not liking Iriael and her 0 diplo) but over her reign began the arduous process of righting the ship.

Caeniael would marry Jahanshah ibn Zakariyya, and gain the blood of Zakar. Woo +5 relations with various groups?

With the death of Caeniael, Ariael's daughter she was bedridden with despair and died. Lord Abaddon the Sea Devil would take the throne as Regent until the next Matriach is of age.

Abaddon was initially a Level 2 Tough Soldiers but campaign experience during the First Age of Resolution leveled him up to being a Skilled Tactician and gradually I would bring his Martial up from 18 to 27 through various items and other choices. My strategy in these games is to raise my learning to above 10, get the necronomicon, and go through the scholarship focus and join the Ivy League in order to speed up my teching before switching to whichever focus looks useful, for Abaddon this was Stewardship since I was having difficulty maintaining a realm with 8 counties.

Why the Age of Resolution? Because this was the time to remain STEADFAST and RESOLVED to win as I got routinely invaded, over and over again! Woo~

First was California, presumably in revenge for taking the Red Woods, I managed to fend them off and was going to demand tribute to win back some gold but the California player to the south decided to join the AI's war against me, dick move. So I accepted a white peace with the AI instead since I was winning this was easy enough.

You gotta know when to hold them and know when to fold them and this was not a time to try to hold the line against those numbers.

Which was something like 10,000 troops vs 14,000 or more.

Then the British Columbia player was invaded BY THE RUSSIANS!!!

They promptly surrendered the coastal now-free real estate since the event troops were apparently just too much to handle given their economic-military state.

While that was happening JAPAN of all people invaded me. I apparently don't have a screenshot for this, they invaded Redwood, the continued BANE of my existence.

However their troops seemed to be nothing special

I was tempted to surrender and hope they invade south to annoy the other players but it seemed winnable and so instead I fended them off, baiting them to attack my stack of troops across a river. I even took him prisoner!

Nyehhehehe, I got lots of puzzles for you to do with my brother Sans!

Annoyingly he refuses to let me ransom him back or to marry one of my daughters.

West Snake being the most underrated polity at this time!

My problems remain my anemic levies after the death of my high martial starting ruler.

And very soon after that after I had managed to fend off the Japanese then I got invaded AGAIN.

You remember the Russians? I remember the Russians. I wish I didn't remember the Russians because THEY INVADED ME NEXT.

Dealing with Invasion after invasion which halted my expansion to a dead stop has been incredibly frustrating; complicated that the constant
tribal raids with anywhere between 150 guys with pointy sticks to freaking 3,000 dudes with pointy sticks means my capital is being constantly raided and my levies keep taking a hit. I'm debating the next time I see a big stack land on my capital just landing them in my country and see if I can at least take advantage of it but I have no idea how that mechanic works or if its actually worth it.

After dealing with the Russians which was very touch and go because I won a battle, then lost a battle, then won a battle, before finally sitting there waiting for the ticking warscore to reach 100% before peacing out. I had to borrow some money from a player to afford my mercs.

Back to the Black Sea from which you came!

At the end of the session I don't have too much to do, I got some options to try to finish up my expansion but my levies are half of their max and my treasury is low, it feels risky to me but I have some openings. Namely Lincoln, who while tribal is losing to an invasion to a child of destiny who hilariously was the intended son/heir of the player north of me. Puget (the green province dividing my territory) is in my de jure so thats maybe a quick and easy victory.

End of Week 3 Player map:

End of Week 3 Realm map:

All Hail Kickatus!

e: to fix new line issues.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 27, 2021