Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The HRE marches on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm gonna retire my Wessex / Brittania Empire game. It's the longest game I've played (Charlemagne start to 1200) and had some pretty neat stuff happen.

Germanic Saxony not only held off against Charles, they became the dominant power in Europe. Most of the Northern coastal Frankish counties as well as chunks of England and Ireland fell to Saxony, and almost all of Eastern Europe.

Catholic MA was down to 6% at one point. Rome fell very early to Abbasids as they did their conquest of southern Italy / Sicily. Rome was the third Crusade target.

The Miaphysite Abyssinian Empire is one of the great powers of the world, holding East Africa, Egypt, and Persia.

The Byzantine Empire expanded all the way to the North East corner of the map. When the Mongols spawned, the Byzantine Empire chumped them.

Tibet expanded aggressively westward. Stuck between the Byzantine Empire, Abyssinia, and Tibet, the Abbasids were completely wiped out.

Nearly everybody is chaste. It's no exaggeration to say that easily 85% of characters within range at times would have this trait. Thanks to this, there have been multiple times where my dynasty is hanging on by a thread, with only a few surviving members left.

I survived the black death. I had no heirs when the plague struck, and as soon as I shut the gates my physician died. Then I got the note that I and my wife were sick. I was expecting the game to end, but I tried to recruit a new physician. A drunk, one-eyed, one-handed Russian genius showed up. He handily cured me and my wife without chopping anything off. My wife eventually had a child, and the game went on.

Can you post a map?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I want to finish my current game before starting with the new patch/DLC.

How do I roll things back again?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pidan posted:

Not sure how I feel about locking army movements, I'll have to see how that affects game balance.

What does this mean?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

luxury handset posted:

in steam, right click on ck2 -> properties -> betas -> opt into the 2.8.3.4 or whatever beta

Thank you

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Rolled back the update to finish my game.

The portraits seemed to still be updated, but nothing else has changed as far as I can tell.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
1st son dies from the plague.

My second son, who I gave Syria to after winning a crusade, inherits Castile via his mother's father dying from the plague.

He gets assassinated by the Duke of Navarra. I can tell from the red skull that says so.

How is there no option to arrest this guy with eating -40 points of Tyranny!? This is ridiculous.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tercio posted:

If it succeeds then it creates a Crusader State with a massive number of event troops. 80k in my case. It made them the strongest state in the world and they immediately went about conquering their neighbors, and even some far flung places like Abyssinia.

Here's another case. Well over 100k event troops. It's silly but I mean who cares ultimately. But make something like this one of the "wacky" supernatural events.

Edit: Beatification also seems too easy to achieve. Having a long reign basically guarantees it just based on the amount of piety you can generate through the passage of time.

Does it ever succeed without the player aiding them?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

The best ruler I could ever want and and his heirs are all poo poo.

Still playing the HRE game I started earlier, so I haven't updated to Holy Fury.

What does the little frog icon mean?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Continuing my HRE game with the previous patch, I've hit a snag. Eloi the Great was bashed in the head and made incapable. Reigned at least ten years with a regent and had like 3 or 4 heirs murdered out from under me. Just inherited with an Emeperess who was previously Queen of Castile and Syria. Was lucky in that since I paused immediately I had one day without a regent and was able to give out a ton of titles to different folks without objection.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Mongols are starting to look a bit threatening

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

In my Byz game I noticed that Basileios' dad is sitting around in court, with bad stats and no usefulness, cramping my style. So I sold off my dad to China.

The Makedon start? I married him to the Queen of Italy once. They had one kid and then an epidemic killed her and then kid, so I inherited Italy. Loved that old dude since then.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pidan posted:

CK2: Holy Fury - your Pope is a bad Pope.

Anyone got that event from the Dev diaries where an evil pope makes an open cannibal kinslayer a saint and plunges Catholicsm into a continent wide civil war? Is that event chain working?

Meanwhile, in my last pre-Holy Fury game, the HRE marches on

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The HRE marches on.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Yashichi posted:

You can change the HRE succession if you abolish council power and have max crown authority, but Byzantium is stuck with their unique succession.

Byzantium being stuck with Imperial succession, I get.

HRE being stuck with princely election, that doesn't make sense in my opinion. I think a strong enough dynasty could have shifted it to primogeniture in the mod of western Europe.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fuligin posted:

In general I think India is way overtuned in terms of province wealth and its holdings. Followers of Arjuna used to be available from any start date and would also just clown on any muslims trying to break into the subcontinent, but I think they fixed that.

India should absolutely be that powerful and rich, it's just that like Europe and unlike China, it was rare that the subcontinent would be unified to any extent.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My old laptop died, so once I got a new one, finally started my first Holy Fury game. Playing as Barcelona. How does the Reconquista thing work? It seems like they're adventurer style holy wars, the two wars I've witnessed had leaders with no titles aside from the reconquista title leading them. I thought Iberian dukes and kings could wage these wars? Haven't seen any pop ups saying it's a new option on the intrigue screen? Am I just blind?

Is it because I swore fealty to the French king?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 10, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I see...guess I'll just have to plot for independence earlier than I expected.

Swearing to France as Barcelona is just a no brainer early on. You're basically untouchable and can wage holy wars at will. I've gained 4 counties in 10-15 years.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Played about 25 more years of my Barcelona game. Fought an independence war against the French when their king was suspiciouly murdered (by who I'm not sure, not by me though) leaving my 12 year old nephew in charge. Won and declared myself King of Aragon immediately afterward. Had a local bishop do the honor. Then I helped a reconquista liberate northern Portugal. Then I conquered the duchy of Valencia and was able to crown myself king of Valencia since I had already conquered the Baleric islands. Then I put a distant kinsman of mine on the throne of Navarra.

Then I was helping Leon defend from a Holy War when the Pope started preparing for the 1st Crusade. You'd think that since I was involved in an active defense holy war he'd give me a pass, but no, he hassaled me so I said yes since we were winning. Anyways, the crusade launched and I sent over half my guys to defend Rome from a muslim counter attack, and then the war in Leon having been wrapped up, sent all my guys to the Holy Land, where I captured the holdings in the county of Acre. This was enough to get my 2nd legitimate son awarded the Duchy of Galilee, while I was given 8,000 gold! Holy crap. Immediately set to building nine castles and a city (need a city in Barcelona before I can build another castle). After that, one more castle and I'll have my first blood line.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
EDIT: loving should have posted this in the paradox thread.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

She's not a vassal of yours, she's just a courtier. If she owned actual territory with you as her liege, you'd be in control of Bulgaria, but since she didn't, she's independent now.

I thought that didn't matter if the title they were claiming was a dejure vassal. I.e. any title pressed for a dejure vassal should end up your defacto vassal, even if they are an unlanded courtier not of your bloodline.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Disillusionist posted:

Has anyone done a Hellenic revival playthrough yet? I'm going through one right now and it's rough.

Well, it should be rough. You're really swimming against the tide of history here, so it should be hard.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Played about 25 more years of my Barcelona game. Fought an independence war against the French when their king was suspiciouly murdered (by who I'm not sure, not by me though) leaving my 12 year old nephew in charge. Won and declared myself King of Aragon immediately afterward. Had a local bishop do the honor. Then I helped a reconquista liberate northern Portugal. Then I conquered the duchy of Valencia and was able to crown myself king of Valencia since I had already conquered the Baleric islands. Then I put a distant kinsman of mine on the throne of Navarra.

Then I was helping Leon defend from a Holy War when the Pope started preparing for the 1st Crusade. You'd think that since I was involved in an active defense holy war he'd give me a pass, but no, he hassaled me so I said yes since we were winning. Anyways, the crusade launched and I sent over half my guys to defend Rome from a muslim counter attack, and then the war in Leon having been wrapped up, sent all my guys to the Holy Land, where I captured the holdings in the county of Acre. This was enough to get my 2nd legitimate son awarded the Duchy of Galilee, while I was given 8,000 gold! Holy crap. Immediately set to building nine castles and a city (need a city in Barcelona before I can build another castle). After that, one more castle and I'll have my first blood line.

And a map

The Kingdom of Aragon & Valencia

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Your guy will inevitably die shortly before the completion of the tenth castle.

Then I will just shamelessly save scum unless the death was due to something funny like a manure bomb assassin. :colbert:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
In my current Barcelona game, Christians have overrun Iberia in around 80 years. Reconquista's have made it too easy.

I control 48% of Iberia and am married to the Queen of Leon and Navarra who controls another 12 counties. The next generation will almost surely crown themselves Emperor.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Neat. Especially since I got stack wiped in this crusade. :lol:

Not neat, I won't be inheriting Leon after all. :(

The road to Hispania will be more difficult than anticipated. I only had three legitimate girls and I foolishly didn't matrilineally marry the second. She had a son and the elder didn't. She just inherited Leon. So, I'm going to have choose one of my legion of bastards son's to inherit me instead, or I'll end up losing the game. <_<

Map pre-crusade

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It should end with CK2 - Judgement Day where when the game times out, or during a random chain of events that can trigger, signs of your religion's biblical apocalypse start happening. It all culminates with world ending battle against evil supernatural hordes with Jesus himself returning, or armies of dead Norse faithful characters returning as free retinues for Norse characters, etc.

That sounds amazing!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

What's that pale green realm taking up most Greece and Hungary?

Give me a game rule where either only the apocalypse for the religion with the highest moral authority happens, a random religion's apocalypse happens, or they all happen. :black101:

HRE rules Hungary.

Some nomads took over Walachia, Bulgaria and Greece. They're orthodox christians.

That would be awesome

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Weird happening. Just conquered most of Tunis via Holy War. Gave two counties to my 2nd son, two counties to a good commander.

The pope then announces a crusade for Africa. I join and put forth a beneficiary, then realize I can demand the lands myself, which I do, since my lands already border the target on both sides.

I win easily, since I'm so close to the target and can land my full armies on the coast and get all the captured counties. I am awarded the Kingdom, and my beneficiary is awarded a dukedom, but somehow my two Tunisian vassals are granted independence.

Very weird, any idea why that happened?

Not a big problem though, they were both Catalan and had 100 opinions of me and agreed to vassalize again.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Arbite posted:

Should naming someone viceroy of a kingdom and including all the duchies below that make the duchies feudal? It's a pain having to make them viceroy of every individual duchy when the option to speed that up seems to exist.

I haven't played with viceroys in HF, but I played alot of Byzantium games before that, and that never happened.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
First time making a custom empire.

I just use a balanced retinue, with equal numbers of pike battalion and heavy cavalry battalions since that seems more realistic to me.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Don't lead battles if you aren't willing to die lol

There´s even a special option for ya big ole cowards to never go into battle on the character screen

Medieval kings went into battle all the time and rarely died.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I can think of a shitloads where they did, including those where they died as the enemy retreated

Don't lead troops lol
We would not die in that man’s company

That fears his fellowship to die with us.

https://youtu.be/A-yZNMWFqvM

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

kingturnip posted:

It also seems likely that in the event a peasant or levy army was involved, the nobles wouldn't give much of a poo poo how many of them died. Certainly, I doubt anyone was counting how many leek farmers got shot in the back by 'friendly' archers when they were told to go charge enemy lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYFGRD1T9wQ&t=6s

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

lurksion posted:

Yeah, heart attack -> fall from horse seems quite plausible

Horses can get freaked out by all kinds of little things though. It's definitely plausible that the horse just got spooked by something and suddenly threw him. Getting thrown by a horse is serious buisness.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 2, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Disillusionist posted:

I just got done playing a Karen game. I survived without ever having to pledge fealty to a Muslim.

- Don't bother conquering tribal or nomad holdings. It's not worth the hassle.
- Early on, you'll want to limit the number of enemies you face. I'd park your Chancellor in the capital of the Samanids (you may also want to Sway the ruler) and focus on the Saffarids first.
- Using your starting levies + event troops + getting 300 Jewish gold and hiring mercs, you should be able to win a Holy War for Khiva. But you have to be quick to make sure the Samanids don't get involved. If successful, wait out the truce and hoard gold, keeping around 300 in reserve to buy mercs and pay them for a few months in an emergency.
- Eat the Saffarids one duchy at a time, making sure you keep the Samanids in positive relations to dissuade them from entering the holy war.

You'll want to avoid a border with the Abbasids for as long as possible. Once the Saffarids are mostly dealt with, switch to swaying the Abbasids to keep them happy and use the same tactics against the Samanids.

Also, keep on eye on your trade routes (turn on Trade on your map modes), especially the Silk Road. Provinces with bags of gold on them are especially lucrative, and I think you start with one (Gurgan). If it's not in your personal demesne (I think it is but I don't remember), revoke it when you can risk the holder revolting. Then build the upgrades in the trade post window (select the province and click the arrow on the side of the province upgrades window to open it.)

Karen is a fun campaign, but it does get a little boring at times since you almost never have religious allies and rarely press claims for claimants. At least now you can marry Tengri and Buddhists (so try to get allies, especially among the Nomads).

There's an independent Shia ruler on the shore of the Caspian sea that you should attack first. Since all the other nearby Muslim states are Sunni, no one will help him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The Catalan Empire grows

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Whelp, things are looking grim for Poland. And the Byzantine Empire, of course.

Are the Fatimids still Shiites?

That is a reborn Byzantine state from nomads settling, not the real thing.

My mother is the Queen of Jerusalem, so I will inherit that.

The Queen of Granada owns Ascalon and since conquered the Sinai.

I have conquered the Canaries and Cyrenaica.

Yes, the Fatamids are still Shites.

Anatolia is Catholic. An ancestor of mine won a crusade against the Seljuks to liberate it a hundred years ago, maybe more. Currently ruled by the Rurikids.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyone tried 1.3 version of Warhammer: Geheimnisnach? Does it work well?

Supposedly Holy Fury compatible and undergoing a series of major overhauls.

I remember this mod being awesome, with the sole exception being that like Games Workshop the mod team is a big fan of Chaos overwhelms everything in the end.

Also, was a bit buggy at times.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/official-happy-holidays-heretics.1141282/

EDIT: Never mind, misread the announcement. 1.3 isn't out yet. Just an unreleased beta at the moment. <_<

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Chaos overwhelming everything is a key part of the ham setting. I swear to you, neither the modders nor the original gw writers are Chaos Fans skewing the ~~lore~~ for their faction

gently caress that bullshit. In Storm of Chaos the forces of Chaos got their asses absolutely stomped and only ludicrous blatant cheating on the part of Games Workshop even made it close. We're talking 1927 rigged Liberian election level cheating.