Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Arumba has a good let’s play of Meiou and Taxes because it’s so huge he absolutely HAD to stop and read and understand the game. He spends a lot of time going over province development and talks about his decisions at length, it’s enjoyable to watch.

At the opposite end of he spectrum he did a let’s play of Stellaris 2.0 and 30 minutes in he’s bitching about poo poo he doesn’t understand because it’s different from the previous version of the game and he didn’t read any of the patch notes.

As for Holy Fury I just pre ordered and I’m going to make my first game Norse ducks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fun fact: If you are a female ruler and seduce a king and he recognizes the bastard son that results from it, you can legitimize the boy yourself and he will convert to your dynasty. He will then also be considered in that kings normal line of succession...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I started on the charlamagne bookmark and I was pretty sad that none of the Norse rulers have a bloodline. But it turns out as the petty king of Sweden, my firstborn son got the hero bloodline anyway when he turned 14 and got a free brawny trait. Kid is 19 and is already a better dueller than his dad just off his base stats. When he inherits Mjolnir poo poo is going to get crazy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm extremely excited to reform Germanic with Ragnar once he takes over, I'm planning to do an Enatic faith tenant and make everyone warrior queens.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Chalks posted:

Been playing a game trying to reform slavic and their holy sites are so far apart. With forced gavelkind and the new exclave rules, I don't see how there's any way to achieve this. Every time my leader dies my territory gets split up into kingdoms and it doesn't seem possible to avoid expanding into other kingdoms while getting 3 holy sites. Anyone got any tips?

Yeah I was really hoping reforming pagan faiths would have other options than 'control 3 holy sites'.

I want a mighty warrior with high piety to get a vision from god and go on a quest for revelation. The requirements for reforming a faith is basically blobbing and I really dislike blobbing in general, I much prefer releasing strong vassals to go their own way and hang on to my kingdom and play protector of the faith.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, three years in and things are going really swell so far. I've taken everything in Oppland and am waiting for my levies to build up so I can seize Vingulsmark to ensure I get coastal access. However I just realized the obvious problem of Germanic Tribals. Gavelkind means my realm is gonna blow up if I die with no Petty King title. Unfortunately, while I can create the the Title of Oppland, I'd need nearly 150 more gold to do that, which is about 40 year's income. I'm already 32, not good odds in an occupation as violent as belligerent Germanic Chief.

I guess I could try raiding, but my fellow Norse neighbors are as shitpoor as I am, I assume. Meanwhile the viking age hasn't started yet, so no boats, meaning its a looooong walk to the richer Christian lands and leaves my army deployed well away from my territory, just asking for trouble.

So how the hell do I get some gold? Maybe the Duchy of Viken would be cheaper to form since I have a claim on it?

Never stop raiding anyway. Keep walking your stack into neighboring provinces to siege down their cap and grab the cash that's laying around. You'll get 5-10 gold per province, a little more if they also have a church. If you've raised your raiding levies while they're still a little depleted they will still regenerate while you're raiding. You want to spend your first gold on the duchy title and grab a coastal province asap. When you're a duke, you generate tech points and you want to spend your first bit to build a shipyard in that coastal province so you can start raiding properly. It's a good idea to build shipyards in as many coastal provinces as you can before the viking age starts, because viking age gives +1 to every Norse coastal province regardless of the current level.

Never stop raiding.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

All tribals can raid, even Catholic tribals. You can either raid counties that are adjacent to your own, or coastal counties that you have a fleet in the adjacent sea zone. Getting ships is not so easy for non-Germanic pagans, and pretty expensive. When the viking age starts, Germanic pagans get level 2 shipyards in all their coastal provinces for free, regardless of their tech level. That's a huge boost to them, but if you build shipyards/conquer their provinces, you can do coastal raids just as well. You can't sail down rivers, that's unique to Germanic pagans (and reformed pagans with the seafaring doctrine).

They get +1 shipyards in all coastal provinces, not straight level 2. But if you already have a level 1 shipyard then yeah the +1 puts you at level 2 allowing you to skip ahead a tech level.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The other dynasty perks have to be real good to not make me pick blood every time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This comes up a lot for me because I’m always pushing for inherited titles and marrying people off in ways that are likely to put my family members on new titles. In the current mapgoons CK2 game I successfully seduced another players female heir and legitimised the bastard and the only way for him to keep his primary titles was to imprison and execute the poor baby.

It also lead to the unfortunate situation of other players now targeting me for rightfully being too successful. I had the throne of France and was poised to put a cousin in England at one point. But a lot of my external family members have suspiciously been dying for a while :thunk:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been getting a lot of poo poo in the current mapgoons game because I'm playing like it's already CK3. Long story short, people shouldn't leave their daughters unmarried.

I'm very much looking forward to the new dynasty mechanic. We had a player (me) game over because I assumed that giving up my last title wasn't a big deal when my dynasty was all over the place. But turns out the game doesn't tag switch you to another dynasty member, it only goes by inheritance so when I gave up my last landed title I just got the game over screen (which is stupid, the ruler who revoked my last title was my brother).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

CK3 looks like the devs are making a lot of good decisions.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah. Plus your excess sons loving off to be knights in other courts or seek help to press a claim rules. Maybe they’ll get married and have children and four generations later some guy comes through your court and his line continued landless for a hundred years before coming home.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Mildly hopeful that CK3 eventually just extends the map out to China and possibly even Japan

But why?

Edit: They really should have gone the other way on the China DLC and done it with the Aztecs instead, like the mod does.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Multiplayer CK would be a thing if it hadn’t been broken for literal years.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You can't meet minimum requirements that are literally ten year old components?

Hey don't spec-shame.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah blood seems probably too strong since it'll basically be straight stat upgrades across the board.

I forgot how traits work though, you get 3 per character right?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It uses the same engine as Imperator: Rome and that has WASD camera controls.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

yorkinshire posted:

So one of my buddies is picking up ck3 since he's been intrigued when I talk about ck2 but never got into it. I usually play singleplayer so what's the best way to play multi in this game? Should we start as vassals in the same country or what? We'll probably want to avoid being directly competitive since he's a noob, but he's a big Stellaris fan so he's not completely new to the grand-strat genre at least.

If you want to do some co-op the new Dynasty mechanic is perfect for it. You both pick a branch of the same dynasty and do your thing, earning renown for your dynasty together. Whoever is the most powerful will be the dynastic head and will be the one to choose the upgrades though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Those performances are painful to watch. I hope some decent let's players can publish their playthroughs soon.

Actually this is some top tier content judging from the standards of what development studios put out. I hope these two do an actual lets play post release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lmao that blood loving sucks and offers the least to your bloodline :discourse:

I think a strong opener is going to be Vibrant Court, followed by Desirable Match and then maxing out Kin, possibly getting House of Warriors somewhere in between the Kin traits. This way you can stack up skilled knights early (court) and build a large dynasty through marriages and when you've maxed out Kin you always have a healthy supply of extremely powerful warriors in your dynasty.

Edit: Also all the traits that increase a lifestyle xp type by 10% loving suck and they should be ashamed of using filler junk like that in an otherwise stellar feature.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 18, 2020