Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Is anyone else getting the bug where close relatives can be married? For everyone but the played character it doesn't seem to be doing checks on if close relative. And no I'm not playing with weird pervert mods (or any mods)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

AG3 posted:

Are you sure that's not just the paranoia talking?

Speaking of, I get the "doubt besets me" on every single concubine pregnancy across multiple rulers in my Africa run. Not a single one of those rulers was paranoid. Bug I'm guessing?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's def common but since holy fury I'm getting it literally every time. I wonder if the coding enabling African religion women to get male consorts broke something.

Edit: ironically when there is a multiple male consorts situation, parenthood is never in doubt. Like after birth all the dudes are like "that's Steve's right? We all agree it looks like Steve?"

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 19, 2018

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I found the eldership feature where they actively try to pick the worst possible candidate if they're unhappy can lead to some real death spirals. They start picking morons who get plotted against from all sides and who get the new ruler penalty, they hate you so they pick the worst next, you get assassinated, repeat.

It was a real threat that made the "no short reign" reform doctrine totally worth it.

Then I realized you could just bribe the elders and buy favors.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Related: is there any way to increase decadence in a Muslim state as an outsider, besides winning wars? Anything possible using seduction, rivarly, anything else?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There also seems to be a random African event where you just suddenly get thousands of gold out of nowhere. But I've only gotten that after being established and feudal.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

You can keep eldership as long as your religion can support it through doctrine. So yes.

My first African game I didn't know you could just bribe people to support your candidate. That was way harder!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think if a councilor got a job by a favor you can't fire them (not sure though)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just ignore the fact that he's an charismatic buff sex haver

Chads and virgins didn't diverge until the 16th century

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The huge pain is if you're in Africa, an event about almost losing a treasury item to flooding unless you throw a vast fortune away fires roughly every two minutes.

It's probably just the advisors getting themselves paid. "Holy poo poo he fell for it again!"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Are they being assassinated or disappearing? Cause the latter is from Satanist infestation.

If there is a huge volume of actual assassinations, a good fraction of them will say who killed them on the skull. For at least those you can try to work out the causes.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The 19 thing I didn't know. I have noticed that having 30 courtiers in a court is a highly effective form of birth control, and at more than 30, courtiers start having really unfortunate medical luck.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

pidan posted:

Some holy order has a bunch of castles in my lands. I can't throw them out via the intrigue menu, I can't declare a holding war, I can't vassalize them, I don't think I'll be able to forge a claim. I think it's the castles that they build on a (new?) holding slot via event.

Do I need these holdings under my control if I want to do something that requires "controls all of (my area)"? If so, how do I get them?

Don't try this in Ironman cause I'm not certain, but: I believe I have been able to vasalize a holy order by granting them a duchy and then asking to vasalize.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Coolguye posted:

from what i understand a lot of the problem with making earlier dates is getting data on the period. most of the characters in even 769 are fudged insofar as the names never existed but they need someone to be rando count 465 or they have no data beyond a name so they flatly randomize education, stats, and even health level for them.

obviously the further back in history you go, the rarer writing was at the time and the lower percentage of written records have even survived.

I've always figured almost all of the barons and many of the counts are made up at most start dates. Are they mostly historical?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think you advance tolerance technology enough to raise women's rights laws a notch, then you can change to agnatic-cognatic in succession laws.

But, in all my Ireland games, I've had access to agnatic-cognatic from the start I think. So if you can't change that in succession laws, hover over it and it will say why not. Could just be a vassal mad at you.

Another option without changing law is making lots more bastards via seduction, then legitimizing the ones you want. Your wife already hates you so go nuts.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think there's a Dev thread on the paradox forums about potential religion changes. Also on the list is separating Zoroastrianism and manicheanism, because that makes no sense.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

On that note, I'm unclear as to the line of succession when it comes to my prince-bishop son. Like, that county I gave him earlier reads as having no line of succession at all in the event of his death, he has no kids and I presume it will stay that way as long as he's clergy. If I pile land on him and he dies, does his stuff revert back to me?

Pretty sure no, you're giving it to the church when you give it to him.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Set up the greatest warriors in the realm with low intrigue wives. Seduce those wives in the most obvious way possible until you get a rival. Repeat. After five years, choose the war focus and start dueling your new badass rivals. Note this only works if your character is not a great fighter. Also note this doesn't usually work because the greatest warriors in the realm are terrible at noticing their wife is cheating.

But it is the most entertaining way to commit suicide.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Master seductress is game breakingly good for any female ruler, because the game makes no distinction between how much a man wants to gently caress a lady and how much he respects her. So even once you have kids, seduction focus is very useful for gay women if you want to set it to easy mode. There might be some difficulty finding enough gay women in the area to level up to master seductress though.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There's only three religions in the game that allow close kin incest and they're all fairly hard to just stumble into. If by chance you are playing Zoroastrianism by accident, you can easily do what the Persians actually did in history and convert to Islam, which will also have the benefit of making the survival and expansion of your realm easier.

If you're in a randomized world and you accidentally picked a close kin marrying religion, converting may be harder. Or easier. One of those.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

I had the idea to install a bunch of workshop mods for this play-through. So I installed an ancient religions mod and decided to go with Pagan Egyptian so I could literally be Pharaoh of Egypt. The ancient religions mod author apparently made all of them close kin incest. I've actually been going through the religions definitions file and scraping out every reference to "divine marriage" I can find. It's never enough, though.

Oh, got it. Though for what it's worth, that is pretty accurate for ancient Egyptian ruler marriage practices.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If I build a wonder on a count vassal's province, do I get any benefit? I want to put a great university in Dublin and I'm wondering if any of the attribute bonuses will apply to my character.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Playing my first Bon game, and seeing a red skull with "killed in personal combat by the Dalai Lama" does not get old

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think I've simultaneously gotten better, gone insane and had the doctor commit suicide a couple times, so I think that combo is an option

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

The gently caress are those?

Also, what is that ambition?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Well that sucks. That's a big problem with CK2; it wants to be a roleplaying sort of game but there's few roleplaying options. You can't actually be a trade driven monarch because there's only one trade event that fires randomly. Summer fairs and hunts have the most old-paradox rewards possible, such as 20 prestige. Oh, and you can't hunt if you are lunatic, possessed, stressed, because of "health traits".

So instead of choosing how you want to play, you choose Rulership if you need to commit suicide, choose hunting for the hunting dog. poo poo gets stale and could easily be fixed to an amazing degree with like an afternoon or two packing them with events and choices.

I've been solving this by taking a character's traits and making decisions based on what they would do, rather than trying to drive every character towards optimal traits.

But old habits die hard.

I was definitely having the most fun with the game when I had no idea how it worked.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

a fatguy bald spot posted:

uhhhh why are there anti Semitic dog whistles in after the end

????

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If you play in the East, Jade Dragon is worth it imo, but if you play in Europe it barely affects you.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If you have a bad heir then you can choose to not role-play them, make optimal decisions, and then as a bonus your bad ruler dies faster from stress.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

On the Monarch's challenge, when I log in it shows my score as 0, but as soon as I start playing it presents me with pop ups for the challenges I passed and then if I hit escape, I see the correct score. Is there any way to see what I've unlocked outside of the game? I'm worried that my points aren't actually being recorded, probably due to Mac/steam weirdness.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Paranoid is probably my least favorite trait in the game because it gives you the "am I a cuck?" event for literally every single pregnancy whether or not you as a player have any reason to doubt your wife. It'd be one thing if you could game that event after the kid was born to potentially out some lovely heir as a bastard and disinherit them, but as is it's annoying as hell to pop up all the time.

E: now that I think about it it might be handy for gavelkind? Don't question the first kid and proclaim every other one of your kids bastards, leaving your realm in one piece. Probably easier to just divorce your wife and marry some old infertile gal though, or find some way to go celibate.

TBH I don't really care too much if my kids are bastards or not, the prestige hit is pretty negligible by itself. Only reason I'd give a poo poo is if I'm a proud, studly englishgfx haver and my cheating wife is making me risk having some Celtic or Russian-faced trash child :barf:

That event doesn’t actually let you declare your kid a bastard at will, especially if it isn’t actually a someone else’s. The practical outcome is just your character disliking his wife more the more kids she has. Unless she actually is cheating in which case it makes it easier to catch.

The real “turn legit kids into bastards “ mechanic is going to mass after a birth. My queen character had her nonexistent infidelities revealed after taking communion and my badass infant heir got invalidated.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

luxury handset posted:

i think this is a byproduct of there being only a hundred thousand actual people in the whole world's simulation, and some significant percentage of them choosing the "i'm horny as hell" option

like real world cuck rates would have been off the charts if 10% of the population of medieval europe were committed to adultery as a lifestyle

I think 10% of the medieval aristocracy being committed adulterers is probably low. They had a huge amount of free time, didn't marry for love or lust, and were exempted from most social norms.

The only problems with ck2 seduction is it gives super powers.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Is there a list of things HIP changes about the game? It seems to get a lot of positive impressions, but that's also been true of mods in other games I have not loved.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Rynoto posted:

HIP is a mishmash of various mods that can be chosen when installing so:

Thank you!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

So Men at Arms are just another incarnation of Retinues basically.

I've never really been a fan of figuring out unit composition.

Yeah. There's going to be one insanely optimal build and it will be something ridiculous like "100% heavy crossbows."

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

New nomad ruler challenge is something. The ruler is absolutely terrible. Martial of 0, no good attributes, bad traits, everyone hates him. How did this guy make it to his mid thirties on the steppe like this.

I don't even know what to do. Haven't unpaused. I guess I'll try to beat up the nomads next to me with a slightly smaller army for the prestige and when I probably lose that fight, restart and try something else.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Great advice, thank you both!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think societies are very good when they increase your involvement with other characters, but bad when they give you superpowers. This is also why I'm not a big fan of artifacts - the most fun in ck2 imo is trying to keep the kingdom alive when Eric Trump takes the throne, and that's less interesting when the dumbest and most inbred leaders get a million + attributes and buttons to get good traits.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lurksion posted:

Stolen from google

drat, those are some incredibly mediocre stats for a world historical figure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

What's the easiest Monarch Journey that isn't boring?

I already did Harald but I've tried a few others and given up

The recent Lithuanian one, the three points for being Christian while having all of de jure Lithuania is kind of a pain to get all the territory, but after that the rest of the twelve available points is a complete gimmie.

Also the first one in France is pretty easy but also pretty boring.