Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Conclave is one of the best DLCs in my opinion because it makes your council actually something interesting and important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

It will be about 10 AM Eastern US time, Paradox always has a launch stream and releases it roughly halfway during that stream, after getting their whole dev team in there to celebrate.

They have buttons they can press to release it any time they want.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I don't often cheat in this game, but when I'm defending Greece in a Crusade against the Catholics as the newly converted Hellenic Byzantines, and the Karlingblob manages to recombine itself, only to GET EVEN loving STRONGER BY THE loving CHILDREN'S CRUSADE FIRING AND THEM GETTING 100,000 EVENT TROOPS BECAUSE IT WAS WON BY A loving KARLING SOMEHOW, I really am fed up with that complete and utter amount of ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT and will cheat my way to victory.

Seriously, HOLY gently caress.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

China isn't actually playable, the closest you can get is playing the Western Protectorate.

This is as far as the map goes:

The Western Protectorate actually explicitly isn't playable. You can I think play as a feudal vassal, but not the Governor himself.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I love the little things in this game. Like 200 years ago I, the Byzantine emperor, married a French child duchess matrillineal, and was planning to have their first kid be my heir. His mom died earlier than planned and my heir became French and Catholic, so he got side stepped in favor of his brother.

But all this time that little branch of my dynasty has been merrily serving the Karlings as Dukes of Berry, even as my main dynasty went ham reconquering Italy, renounced Jesus and God in favor of Jupiter and the Roman Gods, and became the doom of Christianity.

I imagine they are just all like "no we're not THOSE Shadowings, we're the good ones. Completely different, you know!"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I've had a very successful Byzantium Hellenic run so far, I'm Jersualem away from reforming Rome (but am probably going to wait one more ruler because if my current lady ruler does it, the bloodline will be lost the second a male heir gains the throne, as he can't pass it on unless it's a matrilineal marriage). Great Holy Wars have allowed me to add Germany and Burgundy to my realm.

Going Hellenic as Byzantium is surprisingly easy, all you need to do is take Rome (which you can do pretty easily) and Alexandria (again, you're Byzantium, it's easy) and then regardless of the fact that Hellenic will have zero moral authority you can reform, which will give you decent moral authority, and as a reformed faith all you need to do is hand out your viceroyal duchies and you can almost always say "oh hey by the way, have you heard the word of Jupiter?" and your vassals will convert.

Orthodox's moral authority will implode because of Rulers Led Astray and the loss of a good chunk of their held holy sites and if you keep up on your dukes your realm will start imploding.

Your chief threat will be that going Pagan will immediately cause Catholicism to :stare: and activate Crusades, the first of which will come for Greece.

Then you get what happened to me while as the Crusade is on going the Children's Crusade immediately fires and is won by a Karling who immediately sends his 100,000 attrition-free event troops to attack you.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Come to think of it it is surprising that they had the Stellaris fox portraits and didn't add fox people to animal kingdoms.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yashichi posted:

You can change the HRE succession if you abolish council power and have max crown authority, but Byzantium is stuck with their unique succession.

For my part I was concerned about it but Imperial Elective isn't really that hard to manage, you can now call in succession support as a favor and that lasts 10 years, so all you need to do is every so often splash some cash around for your commanders and councilors and they'll happily vote for whoever you've nominated, who can be anyone in your family. Given that you might have some commanders who are unlanded, they're pretty cheap.

I mean, yeah, now that I've reformed Hellenism with Civilised and I have Heir Designation, I'd like to be able to select Primo so that I am the only vote that matters, but it's not really all that bothersome to do.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

That event predates Holy Fury by a few DLCs, but it is super rare.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it seems a bit hosed when as Rome I conquer a 3-county duchy off the Abbasids and all of a sudden my threat shoots up to 50 from 0 and any war I declare involves me fight every one of my neighbors.

I mean I'm probably strong enough to fight them, the only empire that could conceivably challenge me is the orange one that's blobbing west out of India (though all of India bows to the Protector General).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I did and apart from the first Crusade it was pretty easy. I was Byzantium though.

Basically you need to take Rome and Alexandria before you declare yourself fully Hellenic. Get as many vassals as you can into your secret cult, but the catch point is two things. You need all 5 holy sites so you can reform without worrying about your moral authority, and you need religious revocation enabled.

Once you have all 5 holy sites you declare your true faith to the Gods then reform immediately. Once you do that, go through your vassals one by one and ask them to convert. If they're not 'true believers' they might need a bit of gold or an honorary title but they should say yes. If not wait them out, you are Byzantine, they should be viceroys. Once they die find a person who will convert and give them the title.

You should be able to convert most of your dukes this way, and they will go ham revoking titles for you and converting the lands. Orthodox Moral Authority will completely and utterly implode so you should gain the momentum of a wrecking ball.

I didn't take this step but if you also grab Jerusalem you can reform Christianity which will disable crusades.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You need to, and usually probably should to keep your vassals in check, appoint the viceroys yourself. That way it helps keep your exarchs relatively weak.

The only problem with that is the titles then go to the exarch and then to you when they die so it can be a bit tedious to hand them all back out but worth it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also do pagan great holy wars operate under the new crusade system?

No, only Catholics do.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Well, finally, I've done it. Conquered China.

The trick is not to let them lure you into a battle in the east, with their attritionless stacks (unless you're Indian, I mean, because I bet India has better attrition than my snakey boy going from pretty much the Urals to the border of the Western Protectorate), but the trick is to basically let them come west to where your army is waiting and then blob them into death.

I still think the idea of attritionless stacks is bullshit, but now that I know it can be done, I'll probably do it in more runs.

(I mean I turned yesman on at the end because it would have taken me a day of real-time to micromanage the counter-siege of the territory I did yield, but I had 100% battle warscore and their attritionless stacks had been utterly shattered, plus my game started crashing so I called it even.)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Really the Byzantine path to Hellenism is super easy.

1) Use your considerable power to nab Alexandria and Rome. These should be the last two Holy Sites you need to have all 5 Hellenic holy sites.

2) Grab Jerusalem and Antioch. Mend the schism. This step is not essential but is very helpful for the future, because it disables Crusades.

3) While doing the above, or starting now, secret cult Hellenism. Get as many people involved as you can.

4) When ready, smash that "Openly Adopt Faith" button.

5) Your moral authority is going to be garbage, but you have all 5 holy sites, so you can reform immediately.

6) Bribe any Dukes who can be convinced to convert. Revoke any who can't, then hand the Duchies back to rulers who will convert. You're the Byzantines, you can revoke viceroys freely.

7) You've done it! You might have some problems with secret cults in the future but that shouldn't matter too much. Hellenic moral authority will be soaring and Orthodox authority will implode, causing converting provinces to be pretty fast and easy. Your loyal Hellenic vassals will put to work converting their vassals and families for you.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think it was changed so that levy armies so now slowly reinforce in place. In addition some event armies also reinforce.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I've never seen it happen to me but in one of my games it happened in England and in Muslim Iberia.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The easiest religion to reform is Hellenism as the Byzantines, really.

You start off controlling 3 of the 5 Holy Sites and are in a very strong position to conquer the other two (Rome and Alexandria). In addition, along the way, you can grab Jerusalem, and juuuuust before you openly proclaim yourself Hellenic (if you control all 5 Holy Sites you can reform the religion regardless of its moral authority) you can (and should) Mend the Great Schism, which will practically disable Crusades, which is your main threat as any Pagan. Also enact the law for free religious revocation and remove the council's authority to approve revocation.

Once you've reformed, you can demand conversion of your vassals, and revoke the title from any who won't. This will absolutely tank Orthodox religious authority- causing the formerly completely Catholic west to fall into an orgy of heresy- and makes it easier for you to convert provinces over to Hellenism. And because you exist in a state of viceroys, you can rotate the viceroyalty around the de jure vassals of that region, and giving them the title greatly increases their respect for you, which makes them more willing to convert. Within a generation or so you should have reduced Orthodoxy into a minority and within another generation or so it should only persist as a secret cult.

In addition if you go with Hierocratic leadership the Pontifex Maximus will occasionally call Great Holy Wars for you, and as the most powerful Hellenic realm, you can use those as extra bonus Invasion CBs (and you can get the Alexander bloodline which helps you conquer even more faster).

... really feel like doing a playthrough of that again, actually.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah they outright confirmed merchant republics and nomads aren't making the cut on the sitdown chat stream, but on the bright side it looks like they had so much fun with the doctrine system that they made it a core part of the game.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Eimi posted:

Reapers Due is great simply for the prosperity event that can add a holding to a province. I want to be able to turn wherever I say my capital is into the next Rome. :colbert:

I will not lie and say that being able to turn Gwynned in Wales into the new Rome is not one of the things I am going to miss dramatically with the switch in CK3 to baronies being mapped entities.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The HRE was neither Holy nor Roman nor an Empire, but you somehow have found a way to make that name even MORE of a lie than it already was!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think they've already confirmed that they're doing away with the CK2 system of separate boats. Once you order an army onto a sea tiles, they get boats automatically but you start paying a healthy chunk of gold for it.

The CK1 system, in other words.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Remember the Pope literally is constantly vacuuming up taxes from every Catholic bishopric on the map that likes him better than their current liege. He's got shittons of gold most of the time.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The most effective way would be to cash in 5k China Points for an invasion upon your enemies, which would completely shatter the HRE... if China wins.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I was about to ask why you censored the titles for some reason, and then I realized what I was seeing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Meneth clarified on the Crusader Kings Reddit that dongs and vaginas will not be in, they'll be covered by a fig leaf. Tits will be in, if the option is allowed, but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

bgreman posted:

Of my 350 hours in CK2, about 250 of it is in After the End. It's so excellent; I can't wait for what they do in CK3.

I kind of was a little weirded out when I see that because of CK3's engine, they're going to have the map be... sideways. So northern will be to the left of the map, southern on the right.