Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hey, I took the opportunity to buy the expansions I've been missing during the sale, and I have a bit of a minor question. I made a special character and while in character creation, she has culture specific title. But once I get into the game, she's just called duchess. Other people of her culture have a specific title too though, is this a bug? Or any way to get her her culture specific title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Is your liege of your culture too? All of a lieges vassals use the lieges culture for title names, iirc.

Yeah I'm playing a Greek to try and do a restore Hellenism run. It's very odd.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 21, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I'm actually not sure if the female form of doux is not duchess. I can't remember ever encountering something like that. If you had a viceroyalty, it would be Strategos/Strategitissa, and Exarch/Exarchessa. But I think female Greek duke-rank characters are still just duchesses.

Yeah it's only that for the viceroyalty not the actual duchy. But hey, I've managed to become queen of Greece, leaving me the strongest vassal in the Empire. Though I think I've messed up with the Hellenics. There were only like two people in it and I died suddenly in battle, so while I could convert to Hellenism on the stubborn zealous son I had, now he can't join the Hellenic society because I don't think anyone is IN it right now. Been wanting to get in the society for like 10 years. So I might have to do it in a brute force way.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 21, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well the Hellenic secret society just dissolved in my Greek game. Though I keep making the same mistake of straining to push my kids to convert them to Hellenism, and even though it says only 10% they become your rival and get zealous, I've gotten that result all 5 times that event popped up. :negative: At least all the Hellenic communities I prepared in my provinces stayed. Also converting people is insanely hard, even looking up the right way to do the events, they still say no most of the time.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 21, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well I somehow become the Emperor, which isn't exactly what I wanted, but now there's no way to lose the drat title, so I guess I'm suddenly reforming the Roman empire? This isn't really what I'd wished to do, but c'est la vie. I also went and openly converted. I should've used that trick or tyrany, but :v: Somehow the realm hasn't imploded due to having a Hellenic emperor either.

All hail this glorious fat bastard and his devilspawn heir. I was planning on destroying the Empire and making an Empire of Hellas, just to avoid dealing with the succession laws, but since it's too late for that, if I set my King title to Imperial Succession it will follow the Empire title, right?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ah, so at least it fixes targeting adults even if kids are still messy? That's a hell of a thing. I might restart just because I really didn't want to restore the Roman Empire, and if I can actually convert my court and vassals it will let me be an even more secure cancer from within.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also earlier in the thread you mentioned that there was a fix needed in order for a Greek reformed Hellenic character to refer to the gods by their proper names. What area in the code do I change?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Line 5185 in events/on_action_events.txt; there's a "hidden_effect = { reformation_god_names_changes_effect = yes }" that's currently commented out. Though I actually left that commented out in my fix mod for now, since the underlying commands it uses are a little broken. When you add the same name for a high god and regular god name, it creates a blank string for the latter that will in fact be used in events (so occasionally you may see "Praise !" where it should be "Praise Zeus!". Also others have said that on a save and reload with the altered god names, all the commas disappear from the list (so if you hover over the religion for info, it'll say the god names are ZeusPoseidonHadesHeraDemeter et cetera).

Figured it best to leave that disabled until they get the hardcoded system working.

Ah, I see. that is very annoying as I want them to be known by Hellenic names!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Starting over worked out very well for me, through strategic war decs I managed to become queen of Greece on my first character. She's 63 and still kicking.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hmm, is there any specific faction that will lower the no internal wars law? Obviously without getting myself installed as Emperor. Or a way I can get a favor with the Emperor and lower it that way? They just enacted it and it's really a hamper.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So the recent good in my game, the Abbasids just got decadance warred and broken up so I might be able to claim some eastward land. They also unlocked Jihad's but I don't know how as they all seem to still be held by Sunni rulers. The bad, Charlemagne succeeded beyond his wildest dreams and the HRE has France and Italy and Spain. :stonk:

Eimi fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 23, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So....while the Karling blob is still hell...I might have been able to take Rome. Is there any way to burn it without being Byzantine/Roman? Because I really want that event. Sadly I see no intrigue decision.

Also I have just been introduced to Threat and wow have I never hated a mechanic as much as I do that one. If I can turn it off, it might just be time for another reroll and to go full Rome.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 24, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I decided to restart to remove threat, and I'll probably just go for a restore Rome run for the cool togas and having a laurel crown. :v: I am wondering if even with that if I can finagle a way to get the Greek deity names. Like what's the scope on what the gods are called? Could I, as Empress of Byzantium, Delve into the classics, publically declare faith, reform, not convert my heir, and then die, and then my heir would reform Rome and get the Apostate title, because it's the best, and leave me with a Roman empire with Greek deity names?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Greek or Roman deity names are determined by who reforms the faith. If they're culturally Greek, then the gods get the Greek names. In all other cases, they stick with the Roman names. It has nothing to do with the Roman Empire title.

That's cool. I got to that point and messed around with some different save states, so it's been interesting. I haven't reformed Rome before so it was a shock that when I did I was still stuck with the lovely Byzantine succession system. I mean I don't even get to keep the OP Byzantine crown, I should be able to change to some succession system that doesn't suck.

E: Also is there a mod or something that fixes the barber shop for women? Dudes get a facial hair and haircut option, while as a Byzantine woman, it just gives me various veils and doesn't let me change my character's hair.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 25, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I wonder how hard it is to code in a new decision in the intrigue menu. I'd love to add a decision to hold the Olympics for Hellenism, since you lose fairs and feasts. And one to host great games in the arena once per ruler like a grand tournament. Just little bits of extra flavor.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeaah, it'll be something I'll have to really sit there and dedicate time to. My overall idea is to have the Olympics as sort of a grand unifying thing in the realm, with decisions for you to like pay for them yourself, have vassals pay, use prestige. If you're restoring Rome it should do more than give you an op CB. And because I'm a historical nerd and think that surely a great and auspicious emperor could think of a system like that of sankin kotai to control their realm and bring back a more administrative than feudal system. Arena games would be the big succession thing where you sac gold to get prestige/piety to get people to love you. And because what Emperor doesn't spend lavishly on their city. :colbert:

E: How long do you have to wait before you get the option to gain Roman culture? Also going back to an older question, is there a way to edit the barber shop so that it actually changes the hair for women instead of giving you a veil?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 26, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

...why are my vassals waging external wars with external wars set to illegal?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Various Meat Products posted:

Crown Laws affect de jure territory only

:ughh: That makes too much sense. Time to wage war on the Arabian emperor to dissolve his title just to make my borders pretty.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I believe the decision "Roman Renaissance" should be visible immediately after you restore the roman empire. You do have to be italian or greek, though.

To take it, you have to have ruled for 10 years, be christian or hellenic, not be at war and have your capital in Rome.

Huh, I meet all those requirements. My current Empress has ruled for 20 years, she's Hellenic, I'm not at war, my capital is Rome, Rome is even Greek culture. Is it because I chose enatic clans that it's messing up? Or do I have to form the Kingdom of Romagna or something stupid like that? I figured it out, it was a mod I'm a dumbass.

Also Syria refuses to dejure drift into my realm no matter what. I completely control it. Why would it not be drifting?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 26, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Someone outside your realm has a duchy title in Syria that you haven't usurped.

I'll look into fixing that then.

Arbite posted:

Should naming someone viceroy of a kingdom and including all the duchies below that make the duchies feudal? It's a pain having to make them viceroy of every individual duchy when the option to speed that up seems to exist.

It does that? ...that explains a lot about the state of my realm.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 26, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

I haven't played with viceroys in HF, but I played alot of Byzantium games before that, and that never happened.

It's very inconsistent. I think the exarch's duchies are kept as themes, but for their vassals they become dukes. Like I can look around and I see a lot of doux and not a lot of strategos, and with certain kingdoms, I just receive the kingdom title back.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

You need to, and usually probably should to keep your vassals in check, appoint the viceroys yourself. That way it helps keep your exarchs relatively weak.

The only problem with that is the titles then go to the exarch and then to you when they die so it can be a bit tedious to hand them all back out but worth it.

I should start when I can, but most of them are duchies now anyway. It might be time for another realm wide console clean up, though I can wait til more stuff de jure drifts in.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Is there any new way to do retinues? I just remember that Cataphracts were amazing. The Roman one is interesting...400 pikemen and 150 HI.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean changing culture for better clothes is the only reason why I went Roman over Greek. Changes all the random names for the worse but what can you do?

binge crotching posted:

If I remember right a pretty good all around retinue is to just use the generic shock or defense. Some of the cultural ones are better, but when in doubt just use the generic.

I see. I'm still used to cataphracts being unstopped gods of war. I'm guessing that's no longer the case? The cultural building of Roman gives you bonuses to infantry power so I guess that's a benefit. Though something I noticed is that basically killing off the enemy is a lot harder, even with shattered retreat off. You could beat them with a heavy infantry stack, but only kill a handful. Perhaps like a mix of the Roman Pikeman/HI with the cav retinue to run them down after fighting?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I really shouldn't have started in the Charlemagne start, as the world is incredibly stable. As well, my expedition to try and force the other pagan faiths has been pretty ineffective, as soon as I start getting the land for Suomensuko started the locals wanted to adopt Hellenism. Chernigov in particular, who own most of Russia...so so much for that. Maybe if I can I liberate Lithuania/Wendish empire I could get Romuva? I suppose I could fight against the nascent Hellenic kingdoms, but that feels against the kind of feel I want to do for this playthrough.

As well, I've asked a few times, but I wonder if anyone could help me out. When I try to change my hairstyle, it just gives me these stupid veil options instead of actually changing my hair, and I wonder if there was any way I could mod it so I could change my hair.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah this is a known bug. :( Until PDX fixes it your best bet is to make an uncompressed save, find your character's entry, and fiddle around with the second digit of the "Properties" strong until you find something you like.

Given the bugs with Hellenic god names...this is making me think I should do what I always do when I get frustrated with PDX. Play valkyries and go try and murder the pope.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hey, I was looking to create a mod that makes it so that landed women will use the more ruler like male headgear instead of the female headgear, which is obviously intended for spouse of a landed partner. Would I be looking to edit Portrait Properties? Or changing something in Portraits themselves?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lurksion posted:

Simple description of how this works:

a) Headgear and stuff have a texture file (/gfx/characters/) - these are split into male and female files.
b) The portraits.gfx files (/interface/portraits/) define which texture file links up to which property and how many indexes there are for that property
c) portrait_properties.txt (/interface/portrait_properties/) defines how to choose a index.

The problem you run into with your goal is that the selection of properties happens in (c), but you are already restricted to within a single texture file by (a)/(b). So you would need to mod (a)/(b) to combine the wanted textures together and then define (c) to pick appropriately.

So basically I would have to insert the male texture file into the female one and then define what's chosen based on landed status in c? Or for the quick and dirty option, just copy the male file and rename it to the female? :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lurksion posted:

Yep. Though quick and dirty would result in all using one set of headgear without the landed check. And you would probably want to define them in the gfx files (though I guess these textures aren't that large). And don't forget that DLC graphics stuff is in the dlc zips.

Societies actually don't follow those steps exactly - the (b) step have some additional definitions in them that allow them to override the "normal" definitions. The problem is that they have a very limited set of conditions unlike portrait_properties in (c). If in the future this set of conditions is expanded, you would be able to use this system to do what you wanted. Unlikely to happen I think.

Whelp, portrait_properties is practically incomprehensible to me, so I guess I'll just edit the headgear files. I'll post the resulting mod here, if anyone cares. It'd basically just be for a matriarchal run. I'd love to be able to comprehensively fix it so that it only checks if you're landed, but c'est la vie.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1608849317

Eimi fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 31, 2018

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The battle event where your character just dies is loving bullshit. It fires way too often and for no reason. I just had it fire when the enemy was routing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's not even necessarily that my rulers die, it's how nonsensically the event occurs. If I have an overwhelming numbers advantage, AND I'm winning the battle, AND my character has a high martial score, how they hell are they getting the event where they are are all alone on the battlefield and just die with no other option? I would be more accepting of the event if it occurred when I was losing the battle or just getting crushed by superior numbers, the problem is when I have an army of 1500 and I'm fighting 300 and two flanks have already routed but oops you died. :argh:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lurksion posted:

Would also require a full combat rework, because mixing in more unit types is a net negative so you would never ever use your levies

A combat rework should happen anyway, because as is many cultural retinues are just bad because of the way tactics work.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Communist Walrus posted:

Why didn't the counties I'd seeded with Hellenic communities convert when I brought the cult out into the open? My capital converted, but it appears none of the other 20+ counties with communities did.

It seems when you make the decision to openly convert, only your counties will flip. It doesn't matter if the person who owns the county is also secretly Hellenic, it's only stuff you directly control. Leads me to believe that when you hit the button it doesn't even have the scope to check for other member's controlled counties. Rather annoying that it can't even grant you a conversion buff or something.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Communist Walrus posted:

Man, I really hope that's just a goof in the code.

There's quite a few annoying but not game breaking bugs in the current game. For example if you pick enatic clans on reformation, when switching to female god names some of them are left blank leaving you with just a missing god name. The Greek god names for Hellenism are similarly bugged where when you reform as Greek after a save and reload they lose the spaces between them. As well when you play as a female character, you can't change your characters hair, as that feature is broken for women.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So I discovered an error with my little crown mod. Apparently this can happen and I have no idea how that happened or how to fix it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Ran into this yesterday when I was replacing the Outremer female crowns with French ones (pretty much for the same reason you were, French ones looked slim and regal while the Outremer ones looked like loving wedding cakes). There's a line below the layer list for each portrait type (this part):

code:
"GFX_character_background:p0"
"GFX_byzantine_female_clothes_behind:p3:c0"
"GFX_byzantine_female_headgear_behind:p5:c1"
"GFX_norse_female_hair_behind:p1:h:y"
 etc.
that says something along the lines of "hats that hide hair ( 0 1 2 3 4 5 )" or something. Each number corresponds to a different crown, delete the numbers for the ones you want to show hair underneath. 9 and 10 are for helmets IIRC, so you probably want those to keep the hair hidden.

Is this in portrait properties? Or just portraits?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

just portraits, I believe, which means you gotta do it separately for every portrait GFX file. :(

EDIT: just checked, it's in interface/portraits, below the hair_color_index and eye_color_index for each portraitType. For the Outremer females I just set it as headgear_that_hides_hair = { 9 10 }. Pretty sure 10 is helmets, while 9 is for Intrigue outfits -- so you might want to turn that on or off for each culture, depending if headgear 9 is a hood/veil or just a hat.

Ah, well, at least I know what the fix is. As tedious as it will be to find all the portrait gfx from dlc heh.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Coolguye posted:

it depends on what you've randomized. a very shattered world with no dukes or kings, yes, it's just a matter of finding your preferred culture/religion combo and going from there. there can be much more considerations though. if you have dukes or kings you really don't want to start too close to one of them as a count, for example. if you plan on raiding you'll also want nearby heathens. etc.

Well unless they are your culture/religion so you can swear fealty. Because there's something extremely satisfying carving your lieges realm away from him one piece at a time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Crusades are SUPER op when they unlock early. The Pope probably paid me 15k in total, allowing me to finance a takeover of Byzantium from within by like 1000. The giving you vast sums of gold just for taking part is tuned at a ridiculous level, as I've never had this much legitimately before. (I've never done a merchant playthrough)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lurksion posted:

Nomads also get stupid amounts of gold and nothing to spend it on

I mean it's totally going bite him in the rear end because once I figure out how to get the duchy of Jerusalem, I'm coming for him next. :v: Even with the buffs to playing as a Catholic I can't seem to do anything but go Pagan, especially now that Hellenism is playable.