Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

pidan posted:

Turn off everything that annoys you. It's your game.

I like defensive pacts. It's fun when you decide to de jure claim some county and it kicks off world war one. If you want to paint the map, turn it off I guess.

I always turn off AI seduction, Aztecs and devil worshippers, but occasionally I turn them all on and watch the world flood with possessed syphilitic bastards.

What's annoying about AI seduction?

Can you turn off shattered retreat in the middle of a game?

I started a new game and the only thing I remembered to change was disabling the sunset invasion. I see people complaining about shattered retreat etc. so I might just start again and look at the options more carefully.

The animal stuff isn't on by default is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Hey why isn't there a mod that replaces the army / council member sprites on the map with cool little wooden icons like an old-timey strategy map? Just thought how cool that would be.

Or at least a mod that makes the sprites way smaller so they don't fill up the map so much when zoomed in.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Would unironically love NATO counters :shobon:

There are map and font mods to make the game look pretty nice, but these giant ugly 3D dudes from 2012 are bumming me out. Would love like a nice wooden counter of a horse or something to represent armies.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
man I've been going down the mod rabbit hole today... Would people recommend CK2+? I'm someone who has been going back to CK2 every year or so since release but never felt like I properly mastered it.

I like the look of some of the extra stuff CK2+ adds but don't really want anything half-working or buggy... Especially if I don't know the game well enough to even tell if something is working properly or not. (I remember having this issue with the civil war mechanic in the early versions of the GoT mod)

e: any other no-brainer improvement mods like Better Looking Garbs?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Alright makes sense. I'll stick to cosmetic stuff. I did add the personal castle one though, and also "richer childhood".

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Speaking of courtiers: is it a good strategy to use the character finder and filter by "will join court" and invite randos from the other side of the world with amazing stats to become councilors / commanders?

Is there a downside other than their culture / religion not matching?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there any way to form an alliance other than marriage? Wanna team up with my neighbor and gang up on someone. Any point trying to sway / become friends?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Coolguye posted:

the education portion of my post encompasses a lot of fundamentals that i glossed over. you can read about them here but i found them rather hard to absorb. if you'd like i can post more about the fundamentals.

I feel like I've read that wiki page 100 times but reading your post was the first time I've been like "ok I get what to do now".

What about the patient trait? Also very important in an educator yes/no?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Intrigue is useful for when you want to go about taking down individual vassals, because spying on them can give you a reason to arrest them. Might be a little superfluous now with the antagonize ability.

How is antagonize meant to play out when used on a vassal? I tried it hoping that it would provoke the vassal into rebelling but he just stayed on -100 opinion for ages and didn't do anything about it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Gantolandon posted:

At some point, the antagonized person becomes your rival, which means you can duel them with the War focus and kill them with little repercussions.

Ahhh cool. Never would have figured that out. My dude had a terrible personal combat skill so that probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
So where do we see this new court limit thing?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Looks cool as hell, my only issue is that it looks like the list of courtiers is still in a tiny little tab under your character that you have to scroll through.

I wish Paradox would drop their fear of full screen menus tbh, it would be a much more pleasant way of presenting information.

Total War Three Kingdoms has a cool-looking court screen with the different court positions laid out spatially.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
gimme a dev diary

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

gimme a dev diary

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck3-dev-diary-09-lifestyles.1308005/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Anyone play CK2 on a big rear end 4k TV from the couch? Is it feasible? Trying to reduce my desk time.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

There's UI scaling that works mostly fine if you don't count features like Alt+Shift+RMB for diplomacy with the highest ruler of a province. And it's fine with Steam Controller or something, I guess.

Ok cool. Happy using a wireless mouse and keyboard, it's just the UI visibility I'm wondering about.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It's a shame really because from a historical / role play perspective you obviously want your heir to be duke of somewhere and building up some prestige and experience.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
New dev diary:
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-10-lifestyle-events

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
"calling" would have been better than "lifestyle"

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Great dev diary.

Have they said anything about how the perk tree works if you switch to a middle-ages heir? Seems like there are three options:
1) You already have perks which the AI has unlocked
2) You unlock a bunch of perks all at once
3) You start from scratch with 0 perks

1) seems like the best option but all three are a bit weird.

Also I know portraits are 3D models now but has there been any hint that they might be animated?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
There was another dev diary explaining the stewardship perk tree: https://www.crusaderkings.com/news

I want some dev diaries about the map. A nice big new map where things don't feel cluttered and cramped is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
don't think anyone posted the new dev diary:
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-15-the-martial-lifestyle

I wonder how the Romance scheme works in relation to marriage acceptance. Seems like it would be annoying if you're in the middle of romancing someone and their liege suddenly marries them off to some random instead.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
New dev diary on some of the CK3 UI:
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-16-tutorials-and-tooltips-and-encyclopedias-oh-my

All good improvements imo

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

quote:

While in CK2 raiding was done on a county level, in CK3 it is on a barony level.

RIP those of you who wanted less fiddly raiding. Maybe the other raiding changes will make up for it.

Also I am 100% on board with making the game more transparent and approachable but it seems like a shame to replace primogeniture, gavelkind, etc. with "Oldest Child Succession", "Partition Succession", etc. Part of the fun was learning all those medieval terms.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
honestly one of the things that puts me off CK2 these days it that giant game rules / setup screen and not really knowing what a lot of them do but also knowing they could have a massive impact on the game

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Another dev diary:
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-18-men-at-arms-mercenaries-and-casus-belli

I really love the art for the military units. Hopefully they'll get slowly padded out with more cultural variants in DLC too.

UI still looking good. It's a massive improvement compared to CK2, but also compared to their other games like Imperator, which only came out like a year ago.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
uhhh what is up with this game and why do I want to buy it so much
https://store.steampowered.com/app/334310/Plebby_Quest_The_Crusades/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dwesa posted:

New dev diary on map modes in CK3
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-25-map-features-and-map-modes

Paper map looks cute, but maybe it could be more detailed

lookin nice

my secret dream for CK3 that will never come true is that they get rid of ugly 3D models for armies and replace them with cool tokens / icons / figurines. Or at least get rid of 3D models for councillors out on jobs.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I like the move to 3D portraits (I'm still not sure they will actually be animated) but agreed that they should err towards being a bit stylised / cartoony (Sims style?) rather than realistic to make them more recognisable.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Animated portraits confirmed!

Man I can't get over how good the UI looks. Really feels like a massive leap compared to the current generation of paradox games.

This preview has some actual gameplay videos in btw in case anyone missed them (I almost did)

quote:

Horses are great on the open field, but will be at a disadvantage against lighter troops in dense woods and marshes that make up much of the less-developed tribal areas in the earlier start date.

do you think this is implying that terrain type could change? Like woods might become fields as the holding gets more developed? that would be cool

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Another gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGcqnPHSUEA

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

just thought of a cool idea for a mod where your spouse moves closer to you if you have positive relations, until you are standing side by side, and then recedes into the background if you hate each other.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

This is the first area where I feel like there's not much improvement over CK2. Separating out the major decisions is good, but it still feels a bit like a jumbled list of random things you can do.

I'm not sure how it could be better but maybe they could be categorised a bit more or split off into different bits of the UI...

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
drat who would have guessed the sexual conduct discussion would be usurped by a weed discussion of all things

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Magil Zeal posted:

The interface only slightly improved

yeah I was gonna say it's surprising how the UI has kept that same font / button / layout style right since the beginning.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I dunno if it's been mentioned yet but yeah with the big 3D portraits that would be an obvious candidate for DLC. Like your unique family crown, sword, etc. getting passed down, would be pretty cool.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Various Meat Products posted:

I for one look forward to integrating cannibalism as a mainline belief in any and all religions.

I mean it's already in Catholicism (transubstantiation)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Captain Beans posted:

kind of a long shot question but...

does anyone know the name of the game on Steam that looked like a Korean mobile version of Crusader Kings? It had graphics similar to Castle Crashers, but had a very Crusader Kings 2 overworld with medieval diplomacy. I think it was in early access. I wanted to check out how it looks these days, but I completely forgot the name of it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/334310/Plebby_Quest_The_Crusades/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
if you are thirsty for CK3 stuff this guy does pretty good analyses of all the dev diaries and also the dev Q and As:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1lOfiRkqQ

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
jesus can you imagine the mods that are gonna come out of that system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It's also gonna be fun trying to figure out exactly who your wife slept with based on the appearance of your child