Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

PainterofCrap posted:

Is it my imagination, or is he wearing a chastity belt? Or a jock strap over his pants?

It's a GI Joe figure or something spray painted bronze. That's where the legs would rotate.

....I had the same thought and it took a bit to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Otteration posted:

Americans avoiding Corona beer amid coronavirus outbreak: survey
ktsm.com/Feb 28, 2020
"38% of beer drinkers said they would not under any circumstances buy Corona as the deadly virus continues to spread, according to a survey conducted by 5W Public Relations."

I'm pretty sure this survey says more about American opinions on Mexican beer than covid-19 panic.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It’s all just the next step in Modelo’s latest marketing plan.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Stacey Abrams Is Building a New Kind of Political Machine in the Deep South
rollingstone.com/March 1, 2020
"Behind the scenes with the policy wonk, power broker, romance novelist, lawyer and entrepreneur who just might be our next vice president"
'It was day two of a summit hosted by Fair Fight, one of the organizations Abrams formed after her narrow defeat in the 2018 Georgia governor’s race — an election plagued by voter-roll purges, poll-site closings, and a thousand other problems ranging from the grossly incompetent (voting machines missing their power cords) to the truly sinister (tens of thousands of mostly black voter registrations placed on hold).

In 2018, largely thanks to Abrams, Georgia’s Democratic Party had a full-time voter protection director; there was a hotline to report problems, volunteers to chase down provisional ballots, lawyers ready to go to court to keep polls open. It wasn’t enough, it turned out, against Abrams’ opponent, Georgia’s then-secretary of state, Brian Kemp, who was in charge of overseeing his own election — but it nearly was.

Now, with $21 million raised in 2019 alone, Fair Fight is training similar teams in 18 states. “I don’t have the capacity to sit still and wait for the next term, the next opportunity for me to stand for an office that let’s me do the work,” Abrams says.'

Children as young as eight picked coffee beans on farms supplying Starbucks
theguardian.com/1 Mar 2020
"High street coffee shop giant Starbucks has been caught up in a child labour row after an investigation revealed that children under 13 were working on farms in Guatemala that supply the chain with its beans.

Channel 4’s Dispatches filmed the children working 40-hour weeks in gruelling conditions, picking coffee for a daily wage little more than the price of a latte. The beans are also supplied to Nespresso, owned by Nestlé. Last week, actor George Clooney, the advertising face of Nespresso, praised the investigation and said he was saddened by its findings."

While Muslims are being murdered in India, the rest of the world is too slow to condemn
independent.co.uk/2 days ago
"There are some grim parallels between Kristallnacht in Germany in 1938 and Delhi today"

Migrants aren’t spreading coronavirus – but nationalists are blaming them anyway
theguardian.com/28 Feb 2020
"Politicians across Europe have been quick to exploit the outbreak by heaping suspicion on the most marginalised"

['round the world the racism goes, where it stops, nobody knows!]

Coke and Pepsi sued for creating a plastic pollution ‘nuisance’
theguardian.com/27 Feb 2020
"California environmental group says much of the tons of plastic in the oceans can be traced back to the 10 companies they are suing"

Virus spreads to over 60 countries; France closes the Louvre
pbs.org/Mar 1, 2020
"In Paris, the Louvre Museum closed, and priests stopped placing sacramental bread in worshippers’ mouths. Panic-buying of daily necessities emerged in Japan. Tourist sites across Asia, Europe and the Mideast were deserted. And governments closed schools and banned big gatherings."

[SAD! DO SOMETHING!]

'Death by 1,000 cuts': Albertans protest UCP public sector changes
calgary.ctvnews.ca/February 29, 2020
"Hundreds of angry Albertans marched through their cities Saturday to protest the provincial government."

[Dang those polite Canucks!]

Hong Kong police arrest 115 after biggest outbreak of protest violence since coronavirus crisis
scmp.com/29 Feb, 2020
'With the city facing the prospect of a resurgence of last year’s social unrest in the middle of a public health emergency, Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po warned of further harm to an economy already being battered by Covid-19.

“The blocking of the roads and the use of petrol bombs in Mong Kok [on Saturday] ... was worrying,” Chan said in a television talk show on Sunday. “If the violent clashes continue, that would harm citizens’ safety, hurt consumer sentiment and affect businesses.”'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Pence says coronavirus briefing will be 'back on camera' Wednesday
thehill.com/03/03/20 07:59 PM EST
'Vice President Pence said that White House briefings on the coronavirus outbreak will likely be "back on camera" starting Wednesday, following an off-camera briefing Tuesday.

“What we want to do is give real-time information in a steady pace and be fully transparent," Pence told reporters Tuesday when asked about the nature of the briefing. “I expect we’ll be back on camera tomorrow."'

[A loving existential on/off-camera presser apparently.]

White House forbids recordings at press briefing on coronavirus emergency measures
rawstory.com/2 hours ago on March 3, 2020
"On Tuesday, New York Times journalist Maggie Haberman reported that the White House has prohibited audio or video recording at the latest meeting about emergency measures within the government against the spread of coronavirus:"

Backlash Erupts After Trump WH Bans Audio, Video Recording of Latest Coronavirus Briefing
mediaite.com/Mar 3rd, 2020, 8:07 pm
"Five days after the Trump administration promised to be “aggressively transparent” about its response to the coronavirus outbreak, the White House ignited backlash and condemnation after it banned the press from any audio or video recording of its latest briefing on the public health crisis.

The controversial decision came just hours after yet another huge drop in the stock market and after a series of awkward moments on Monday and Tuesday where Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, publicly explained to President Donald Trump that a vaccine for the disease would not be available anytime soon."

Court of Appeals decision amounts to a constitutional earthquake
cnn.com/March 02, 2020
"Friday's Court of Appeals decision permitting former White House counsel Don McGahn to ignore a congressional subpoena is a constitutional earthquake. If the ruling -- by two judges, with a third dissenting -- stands, the McGahn decision will fundamentally shift the ground beneath our system of checks and balances. It will tilt the legal terrain against Congress in favor of not just the Trump administration (for now), but the presidency itself."

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Reads Green New Deal into Congressional Record
democracynow.org/Feb 27, 2020

[ Yay. ]

Pentagon Awarded $876M in Contracts Meant for Disabled Vets to Ineligible Companies: IG
military.com/20 Feb 2020
'Small businesses owned or run by disabled veterans may have been cheated out of hundreds of millions of dollars in Defense Department contracts by unscrupulous firms who were ineligible for the awards, the Pentagon's Inspector General reported Thursday.

The IG's audit found that the DoD "awarded $876.8 million in contracts to ineligible contractors and did not implement procedures to ensure compliance with the Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) subcontracting requirements after the contracts were awarded."'

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Otteration posted:

Court of Appeals decision amounts to a constitutional earthquake
cnn.com/March 02, 2020
"Friday's Court of Appeals decision permitting former White House counsel Don McGahn to ignore a congressional subpoena is a constitutional earthquake. If the ruling -- by two judges, with a third dissenting -- stands, the McGahn decision will fundamentally shift the ground beneath our system of checks and balances. It will tilt the legal terrain against Congress in favor of not just the Trump administration (for now), but the presidency itself."

God dammit this pisses me the gently caress off. The brain dead poo poo head pundit class still just does not get it. This won't change "the presidency" at all. It won't change anything in the slightest the picosecond a Democrat gets in office. Republicans will do the exact same poo poo they have done. This is entirely about excusing and normalizing their guy, anyone else it will be ignored.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
In rare rebuke, Chief Justice Roberts slams Schumer for 'threatening' comments
nbcnews.com/March 4, 2020

'"You have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price," the senator from New York said of Trump appointees.'
'Chief Justice John Roberts publicly chastised Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer on Wednesday over comments Schumer made outside the Supreme Court as the justices were hearing a case on abortion rights.

Schumer, D-N.Y., suggested that President Donald Trump's court appointees, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh, "won't know what hit" them if they vote to uphold abortion restrictions. He spoke during a rally on the sidewalk in front of the court building.

"I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price," Schumer said.

In a highly unusual written statement issued late Wednesday, Roberts said, "Statements of this sort from the highest levels of government are not only inappropriate, they are dangerous."

"All members of the Court will continue to do their job, without fear or favor, from whatever quarter," Roberts said.'

Palestinians protest as Israeli bulldozers clear land
reuters.com/March 4, 2020
"Palestinians have launched protests in the occupied West Bank after Israeli bulldozers began clearing land in what villagers fear is an attempt to confiscate it for future Jewish settlements."

Olympia Hills development approved despite protests
kslnewsradio.com/March 4, 2020

Hong Kong Probes Bombings as Protest Focus Turns to Virus Response
wsj.com/March 4, 2020

Hamlet
folgerdigitaltexts.org/sometime between 1599 and 1601
"Lady Macbeth:
Out, drat'd spot! out, I say!—One; two: why, then
'tis time to do't.—Hell is murky.—Fie, my lord, fie, a soldier, and
afeard? What need we fear who knows it, when none can call our
pow'r to accompt?—Yet who would have thought the old man to
have had so much blood in him?"

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Judge cites Barr’s ‘misleading’ statements in ordering review of Mueller report redactions
washingtonpost.com/March 5, 2020
"A federal judge in D.C. sharply criticized Attorney General William P. Barr on Thursday for a “lack of candor,” questioning the truthfulness of the nation’s top law enforcement official in his handling of last year’s report by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

U.S. District Court Judge Reggie Walton, overseeing a lawsuit brought by EPIC, a watchdog group, and BuzzFeed News, said he saw serious discrepancies between Barr’s public statements about Mueller’s findings and the public, partially redacted version of that report detailing the special counsel’s investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Because of those discrepancies, Walton ruled, the judge would conduct an independent review of Mueller’s full report to see if the Justice Department’s redactions were appropriate.

“In the Court’s view, Attorney General Barr’s representation that the Mueller Report would be ‘subject only to those redactions required by law or by compelling law enforcement, national security, or personal privacy interests’ cannot be credited without the Court’s independent verification in light of Attorney General Barr’s conduct and misleading public statements about the findings in the Mueller Report,” Walton wrote.'

Why Do Such Elderly People Run America?
theatlantic.com/6:00 AM ET
"Sanders is too old. So is Biden. Trump too."
"When Joe Biden climbed to the stage in California to celebrate his Super Tuesday comeback in the Democratic primary, three things happened in a matter of minutes. He basked in the thunderous applause from the crowd. He mistook his wife for his sister. And he delivered the sort of confusing, intermittently slurry, and occasionally indecipherable oration that has defined so many of his recent public appearances.
One might expect a typical opponent to seize on these verbal slips by questioning whether Biden, who is 77, is too old to hack it. But his rival Bernie Sanders, who has already suffered a heart attack during this campaign, is a year older. In January 2021, the three people most likely to be the next president—Biden, Sanders, and the incumbent, Donald Trump—would each be the oldest president to ever give an inaugural address in American history.

We have now before us three candidates divided by ideology, but united in dotage. All three white men were born in the 1940s, before the invention of Velcro and the independence of India and Israel. Amazingly, each is currently older than any of the past three U.S. presidents. If, through some constitutional glitch, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, or Barack Obama jumped into the 2020 race at this very moment, each would suddenly become the youngest man in the contest.

How did this happen?"

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dominates in abortion case
cnn.com/March 5, 2020
"If there is any question whether 86-year-old Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who has spent her life steeped in issues concerning women's rights, is slowing down after four bouts of cancer, it was not evident Wednesday morning in Washington.

For over an hour, Ginsburg, the leading liberal on the bench, engaged in a high stakes constitutional version of whack-a-mole, taking down arguments put forward by supporters of a Louisiana abortion access law that requires doctors to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.

As lawyers for the state and the Trump administration urged the justices to greenlight the law, arguing it is necessary to protect public safety, Ginsburg worked to dismantle each of their arguments one by one. At times, she even went after her own conservative colleagues.

Supreme Court appears split after hearing first major abortion case with strong conservative majority
cnn.com/March 4, 2020

A Warning From a Scientist Who Saw the Coronavirus Coming
slate.com/March 05, 2020
'Mary Harris: Tens of thousands of people have been diagnosed with this disease worldwide, with more than 3,000 deaths. Yet there have been few deaths in the U.S. so far. Do we actually know how many cases are stateside? It’s been reported that we’re not testing that much, but that might change soon.

Peter Daszak: In most outbreaks, you never really know when it begins, what the true caseload is, what the environment is. All you can see are the people who come to the hospital and get tested and diagnosed. You don’t see people with mild infections, or people who are pretty sick in poor communities and just don’t make it, or people in communities that have trouble traveling.

When people start rolling out those test kits, we’re going to find a lot of cases in the U.S. and it’s going to look like this is spreading out of control. The truth is: It’s probably already been there, probably, and we’re now finding that out.'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
'Don't Look Away. This Nation Is So... Cruel': Rights Advocates Decry Execution of Nathaniel Woods by Alabama
commondreams.org/March 06, 2020
"The state of Alabama on Thursday executed Nathaniel Woods—who was pronounced dead at 9:01pm local time—after the U.S. Supreme Court issued a temporary stay of execution that was later lifted and Republican Gov. Kay Ivey declined to exercise her powers of commutation or reprieve despite widespread public outcry, doubts about Woods' guilt, and concerns about the legal proceedings that led to his death sentence."

Montgomery County denies KKK group’s permit, members vow to fight ruling

daytondailynews.com/6 hours ago
'A Ku Klux Klan-affiliated group that wants to rally a second time on Courthouse Square vowed legal action after Montgomery County denied its permit application Friday.

“We will still be in Dayton Ohio on September 5th,” read a statement from the Honorable Sacred Knights. “We are speaking with an attorney and will be suing for infringement and interfering with our right to peacefully assemble.”'

Nazi Who Disrupted Sanders Rally Is Identified [VIDEO]
joemygod.com/March 6, 2020
"White supremacist Robert Sterkeson has been identified as the man who briefly displayed a swastika flag at Sen. Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign rally in Arizona on Thursday. Sterkeson has been known as an extremist for more than a decade​; he operates an obscure anti-Muslim hate group."

N.Y. attorney general to televangelist Jim Bakker: Stop peddling unproven coronavirus cures
washingtonpost.com/March 5, 2020

Drug Possession Is No Longer a Felony in Colorado, Regardless of the Drug Type
merryjane.com/Mar 6, 2020
"In Colorado, possession of small amounts of any drug — even Schedule I substances — will no longer be charged as a felony, which started on March 1. But there are some catches to this groundbreaking drug reform bill."

Rich People Have Always Been Assholes During Plagues
jezebel.com/Today 1:45PM
"When the first waves of plague swept medieval Europe, the disease killed both the rich and the poor indiscriminately. In July 1348, King Edward III of England’s 12-year-old daughter died on her way to Spain to marry King Pedro of Castile. And though he was still mourning, the king threw a giant tournament at Westminster in the fall, despite instructions from clergy and doctors that moderation and abstinence were the key to survival. Nearly 672 years later, rich people still want their travel and amusement even amid coronavirus fears, and in typical fashion, they’re doing everything they can to make sure sickness remains the province of the poor.

During the plague, the first round of which lasted from 1347-1351 and wiped out somewhere between 30 to 50 percent of Europe’s population, those who could afford it adopted a plague-time slogan of sorts: “cito, longe, tarde,” which translates to, “flee soon, go far, come back late.” As servants were left behind to clean the houses of the absent aristocracy, risking infection and dying at rates even higher than that of the general population, the wealthy made their wills, specifying guardians for children and dowries, and got the hell out of town. Even rich people’s plague deaths were attended by doctors and religious officiants, while reports abound of those left in cities screaming while being enclosed alive in body bags bound for the plague pits. Almshouses were quite often attended only by clergy, who blessed the dying, while physicians fled with the wealthy."

Hundreds of BYU students protest over Honor Code for a second day
sltrib.com/1 day ago

Guinea protests: One dead in anti-government demonstration
aljazeera.com/19 hours ago
"Protesters gather in capital, Conakry, over constitutional referendum that would have extended President Alpha Conde's ter

'Our role is central': more than 1m Chilean women to march in huge protest
theguardian.com/6 Mar 2020
"Sunday march expected to reignite wave of unrest that began in October over inequality, social injustice and high cost of living"
"More than a million women in Chile are preparing to join a massive protest this Sunday to mark International Women’s Day, in a march expected to reignite the wave of social unrest that began four months ago.

Anger over rising metro fares erupted in October into a series of nationwide protests against inequality, social injustice and the high cost of living. Violent clashes between protesters and police have resulted in more than 30 dead, thousands injured and 445 with eye injuries caused by police weapons – leaving 34 people blinded."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump Weekends in Florida as Fear of the Coronavirus Rises
newyorker.com/March 7, 2020
"With the number of COVID-19 cases in the United States having risen above three hundred, and the number of cases around the world now topping a hundred thousand, Donald Trump is spending the weekend hosting Jair Bolsonaro, the right-wing President of Brazil, at his private beach resort in Florida. On Friday night, Trump announced that Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, was leaving the position, and would be replaced by Mark Meadows, a conservative congressman from North Carolina who has been one of the President’s staunchest defenders on Capitol Hill. In other circumstances, the shakeup would be a major story. But, much to Trump’s chagrin, the spread of the coronavirus is increasingly dominating all other news."

Pressed on the ACA, Trump's rhetoric takes an incoherent turn
msnbc.com/March 6, 2020
"A few weeks ago, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar told senators that the Trump administration would come up with a health care plan -- eventually. The cabinet secretary specifically testified that once the Supreme Court makes its "final judgment" on the Affordable Care Act, then the White House would release a plan."

‘Maybe I have a natural ability’: Trump plays medical expert on coronavirus by second-guessing the professionals
washingtonpost.com/March 6, 2020
'“I like this stuff. I really get it,” Trump boasted to reporters during a tour of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, where he met with actual doctors and scientists who are feverishly scrambling to contain and combat the deadly illness. Citing a “great, super-genius uncle” who taught at MIT, Trump professed that it must run in the family genes.'

Ben Carson says conditions for people detained at the border are 'quite nice'
thehill.com/03/06/20
"Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson said in a soon-to-be-released episode of "Axios on HBO" that the conditions for people who are detained at the Mexico border are "quite nice."

"A lot of the people who have been detained there have been put into sprung structures and tent cities are actually quite nice," Carson told Axios's Jonathan Swan. Axios released a preview of the piece that will air Sunday."

An Asylum-Seeker Who Was Kidnapped And Tortured With Acid Begged US Border Officers Not To Send Her Back. They Did Anyway.
buzzfeednews.com/March 7, 2020
"For about 12 days she was kept inside a dirty home, occasionally fed old food, and assaulted. And then her 10-year-old daughter saw a way to escape."

'Our role is central': more than 1m Chilean women to march in huge protest
theguardian.com/6 Mar 2020
"Sunday march expected to reignite wave of unrest that began in October over inequality, social injustice and high cost of living"
"More than a million women in Chile are preparing to join a massive protest this Sunday to mark International Women’s Day, in a march expected to reignite the wave of social unrest that began four months ago.

Anger over rising metro fares erupted in October into a series of nationwide protests against inequality, social injustice and the high cost of living. Violent clashes between protesters and police have resulted in more than 30 dead, thousands injured and 445 with eye injuries caused by police weapons – leaving 34 people blinded."

Iraqi protesters stand firm, say corruption worse than coronavirus
al-monitor.com/March 7, 2020
'A group of protesters in Saadoun Tunnel under Tahrir Square in the center of Baghdad were chanting on Friday night, March. 6, calling on Coronavirus to come to Iraq and take revenge from the militias and corrupt politicians who killed them during the 5 months of protests.

"Listen to us Corona, come and visit the thieves who stole our wealth, come and take revenge from who stole our dreams, we only loved our homeland but they killed us," protesters were chanting.

Despite the rapid spread of the coronavirus in Iraq, protesters have maintained a steady presence in Baghdad's Tahrir Square and other public areas, with no sign of intent to retreat or scale back their demonstrations.'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Future generations will be just so disgusted with us.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump Overruled Health Officials Who Wanted to Warn the Elderly Not to Fly
rollingstone.com/March 8, 2020
"The White House ordered the removal of language from a federal health coronavirus plan that recommended warning elderly and physically vulnerable Americans not to fly on commercial airlines."

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds announces 3 presumptive positive cases of Coronavirus in the state
desmoinesregister.com/March 8, 2020
"She asked Iowans to stay calm and stay informed. All three of the people were on a cruise through Egypt and none required hospitalization, she said. The three people sought medical care and are isolated at home."

Americans Divided on Party Lines Over Risk From Coronavirus: Reuters/Ipsos Poll
usnews.com/March 6, 2020
"Democrats are about twice as likely as Republicans to say the coronavirus poses an imminent threat to the United States, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll conducted this week.

And more Democrats than Republicans say they are taking steps to be prepared, including washing their hands more often or limiting their travel plans."

To Save Lives, Shift Pentagon Spending to Public Health
forbes.com/Mar 5, 2020
"The security of United States and the world depends on far more than throwing money at the Pentagon to deal with potential military challenges. The spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) underscores this fact."

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ Brother Recruited Spies to Infiltrate Liberal Groups – Including a Top Teachers’ Union: Report
thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/on March 7, 2020
"The brother of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos teamed up with a conservative extremist group known for its deceptively-edited videos designed to take down liberal groups, and recruited former spies to infiltrate progressive and Democratic groups, including one of America’s largest teachers’ unions."

10 Republican Senators who are vulnerable to being swept out with Trump in November
frontpagelive.com/03/02/2020
"In November 2020, it’s not just the presidency that’s at stake. It’s also the control of the Senate.

35 Senate seats are up for election on November 3: 12 Democrat incumbents and 23 Republican incumbents (along with two special elections).

Below is a list of the 10 most vulnerable Republican incumbents. These are the seats that may be the easiest to flip on election day."

After Alabama Executes Nathaniel Woods, Ayanna Pressley Leads Fresh Calls for US to Abolish Death Penalty
commondreams.org/
"After the state of Alabama on Thursday night executed 44-year-old Nathaniel Woods despite serious concerns about injustices in his case, Rep. Ayanna Pressley and other lawmakers and civil rights advocates implored Congress to abolish the death penalty nationwide."

Amazon Warehouse Workers Are Abandoning Their Jobs in Droves
vice.com/Mar 6 2020
"Between 2011—the year the first fulfillment center opened in California— and 2017, the turnover rate in five counties with Amazon warehouses leaped from 38 percent to 100 percent, according to the report. In other words, more warehouse workers departed from their jobs each year in counties with an Amazon presence than the total number of warehouse jobs."

Fla. Woman Accused of Changing Voters’ Party Affiliation From Dem to GOP
nbcphiladelphia.com/March 6, 2020
"Cheryl A. Hall is charged with 10 felony counts of submitting false voter information"

Encampment Sweeps Take Away Homeless People's Most Important Belongings
vice.com/Mar 4 2020
"Crystal had her dad’s ashes taken from her, Angel had pictures of his daughter taken away, Veronica had her phone, stove, paperwork, makeup, and grandma’s jewelry all tossed away."

9th Circuit says Indian tribe may stop oil train traffic on reservation
reuters.com/March 5, 2020
"A federal appeals court affirmed on Wednesday a lower court ruling that held it could order a freight railroad company to stop running 100-car trains packed with crude oil through tribal land in Washington state."

Big Idaho businesses come out against transgender bills
idahopress.com/Mar 4, 2020
"Four of Idaho’s major employers have come out against bills that would block transgender people from changing their birth certificates and ban transgender girls and women from playing on female high school and college sports teams."

South Carolina lawmaker wants referendum to make county similar to Poland’s ‘LGBT-free’ zones
pinknews.co.uk/March 8, 2020
"A councillor in the South Carolina county of Greenville is pushing for a referendum that could make the region similar to Poland’s ‘LGBT free’ zones."

Amid Pious Protesters, Satanists Conduct a Ritual on the Capitol Steps
yelmonline.com/Mar 6, 2020
"Congregants from the Seattle-based Satanic Temple of Washington drew a crowd of prayerful onlookers Friday as they hoisted their pentagram and conducted a satanic ritual at the state Capitol Friday, March 6.

Christian groups and followers caught wind of the Satanist celebrants and showed up to sing and pray in the name of Jesus."

Protests and celebrations mark International Women’s Day
politico.com/03/08/2020
"From the streets of Manila to the plazas of Santiago, Chile, people around the world marked International Women’s Day on Sunday with calls to end exploitation and increase equality.

But tensions marred some celebrations, with police reportedly using tear gas to break up a demonstration by thousands of women in Turkey and security forces arresting demonstrators at a rally in Kyrgyzstan."

Mexican women to 'disappear' for a day to protest violence in 'A Day Without Women'
elpasotimes.com/March 8, 2020
"Don't go out. Don't shop. Don't go to school. Don't consume. The urging from women's activists is clear, but it remains unclear whether Mexico will really go a day without women on Monday."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Coronavirus Diaries: My Husband Is One of the High-Risk People You Keep Hearing About
slate.com/March 10, 2020
"I want people to realize how serious a threat the coronavirus is to families like ours."

[Why we want to self-quarantine.]

'Insane and Cruel': Watch Nurse Rip Question on How US Can Afford to Make Coronavirus Vaccine Free
commondreams.org/March 10, 2020
"Speaking at a coronavirus roundtable in Detroit Monday alongside Sen. Bernie Sanders and public health experts, registered nurse Deborah Burger forcefully shot down a question on how the United States can afford to make any COVID-19 vaccine free for everyone in the country, noting that no one asks that question of other vaccines or America's endless wars overseas."

The United States' closest ally is in 'genuine disbelief' about how bad Trump's response to the coronavirus outbreak has been
businessinsider.com/14 hours ago
'The UK government is in "genuine disbelief" about how badly US President Donald Trump has handled the coronavirus outbreak, and officials have reacted with "incredulity" to the president's attempts to downplay the epidemic, BuzzFeed News reported on Monday.

The Trump administration's slow response and the president's stream of tweets about COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, have triggered eye-rolls among Prime Minister Boris Johnson's team, UK officials told BuzzFeed News.

"There is a general level of incredulity over his comments but especially over the lack of testing," a UK official told the website.'

Midwest farmers face a crisis. Hundreds are dying by suicide.
desmoinesregister.com/Mar. 9, 2020
"One by one, the three men from the same close-knit community took their own lives.

Their deaths spanned a two-year stretch starting in mid-2015 and shook the village of Georgetown, Ohio, about 40 miles southeast of Cincinnati.

All of the men were in their 50s and 60s.

All were farmers."

Kansas City mayor is turned away from polls, told he ‘wasn’t in the system’
kansascity.com/March 10, 2020
"Moments after making a plea for people to get out and vote in the Missouri primary Tuesday, Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas was turned away from the polls and told he “wasn’t in the system,” the mayor said.

Lucas tried to cast his vote before 7 a.m. at Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church at 22nd and Olive streets, where he said he has voted since 2009. Soon after, he posted a message on Twitter saying he was not allowed to cast a ballot because a poll worker could not find his registration.

Election officials later blamed the incident on a mistake by a poll worker, and Lucas returned later in the day and voted. But the mayor said the incident pointed to a larger problem in how elections are run."

Democrats lead by at least 4 in 4 GOP held Senate seats
publicpolicypolling.com/March 5, 2020

Victory! New York State Changes Policy to Allow Transgender Minors to Correct Birth Certificates After Lambda Legal Lawsuit
lambdalegal.org/March 10, 2020
"Today, New York State announced it is changing its policy prohibiting transgender minors from correcting the sex marker on their birth certificates in a manner consistent with their gender identity. This announcement comes after Lambda Legal filed a lawsuit against the state last month on behalf of a transgender boy born in Ithaca, New York."

In Mexico, Women Go on Strike Nationwide to Protest Violence
nytimes.com/March 9, 2020
"Tens of thousands demanded government action to halt the killing of ten women every day, on average."
'MEXICO CITY — Tens of thousands of women vanished from streets, offices and classrooms across Mexico on Monday, part of a nationwide strike to protest the violence they suffer and to demand government action against it.

The women’s absence from public spaces was intended to be a reminder that every day, 10 women in Mexico are killed — and so disappear forever, organizers said.

“It is no longer possible to continue living in a country where a woman can be murdered in a brutal way, without any consequence, and in a culture that allows for it to happen,” said Lorena Wolffer, an artist and feminist activist.

The strike, and a march that drew tens of thousands of women to the streets on Sunday, were a watershed moment for Mexico, a nation that has long failed to grapple with entrenched machismo and gender-based violence.'

Political protests have become more widespread and more frequent
economist.com/Mar 10th 2020
"The rising trend in global unrest is likely to continue"

[Includes happy chart. Also, no poo poo.]

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Sick People Across the U.S. Say They Are Being Denied the Coronavirus Test
nytimes.com/March 12, 2020

McCarthy: Republicans to oppose Democratic coronavirus bill
politico.com/03/12/2020

As The Coronavirus Becomes A Pandemic, Many Food Companies Say No To Paid Sick Leave
labor411.org/March 11, 2020

The entire country of Norway is 'shutting down'
theweek.com/March 12, 2020

Trump's Coronavirus Speech Was a Cry for Help
esquire.com/Mar 12, 2020
"You could almost imagine thousands of tiny feet running for lifeboats behind the president's eyes."

Minnesota Department of Health recommends schools remain open during COVID-19 outbreak
kstp.com/March 12, 2020

S. Carolina law banning LGBTQ sex ed is unconstitutional, judge rules
nbcnews.com/March 12, 2020

Police shooting of 26-year-old man sparks protests in North Carolina
nbcnews.com/March 11, 2020

Raleigh erupts overnight as protesters converge on chief's and governor's homes following police shooting
cnn.com/March 11, 2020

Hong Kong hits back at US report on ‘police brutality’, saying city has been dealing with unprecedented protest violence
scmp.com/12 Mar, 2020

Rap becomes battle cry of Iraqi protests
al-monitor.com/March 12, 2020
'Rap, with its daring lyrics and catchy rhythms, has become the battle cry of Iraq’s anti-government protests that have been ongoing since October.

“We, generation of revenge/Revolution of liberators/I don’t carry guns, my weapons are my ideas and thoughts,” Anhar, better known as MC Anhar, raps on his YouTube channel. Young Iraqis take his music to the protests and sit-ins in the capital’s squares.'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Fed can piss away one and a half trillion loving dollars on the stock market in the space of, what, three days?

But they can't find a cent to cover sick leave during a pandemic.

I can't even imagine the good one and a half trillion dollars could do, not just in the US, but in the world.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Fed can piss away one and a half trillion loving dollars on the stock market in the space of, what, three days?

But they can't find a cent to cover sick leave during a pandemic.

I can't even imagine the good one and a half trillion dollars could do, not just in the US, but in the world.

It's not spending, it's short-term loans intended to ensure liquidity. It's the institutional equivalent of a payday loan, and it's the sort of thing that the Fed exists for. I'd be all for the government doing this at the individual level, for example following through on proposals for the Post Office to offer basic banking, check cashing, and secured loans. But a two-week liquidity loan isn't really going to meet the financial needs of the average coronavirus patient.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
House Democrats and White House reach deal on coronavirus aid package
nbcnews.com/March 13, 2020
"The legislation, which will be voted on soon, contains provisions for free testing, paid emergency leave and more."
"House Democrats and the Trump administration have reached a deal on a coronavirus aid package that includes free testing, paid emergency leave and other resources intended to help stem the crisis and stabilize the financial markets, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Friday.

Pelosi said earlier the House is expected to vote on the bill Friday, which would send it to the Senate for a vote as early as Monday."

[The Bastille needed some new wallpaper, so cool]

'We need to care for working people as much as we care for the stock market': Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Bernie Sanders blasted the Fed's $1.5 trillion injection
businessinsider.com/Mar. 13, 2020
"Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Bernie Sanders questioned why the Federal Reserve was able to spend $1.5 trillion to shore up money markets on Thursday, when a frequent criticism of their left-wing proposals such as Medicare for All and forgiving student debt is that they're unaffordable."

[Yep, we get that the 1.5 trillion is not "spending" that could have been allocated some where else. We also get how lovely it all is.]

The Trump Presidency Is Over
theatlantic.com/10:59 AM ET

[Written before the Titanic disaster of today's "press conference".?]

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Judge Blocks Rule That Would Have Kicked 700,000 People Off SNAP
npr.org/March 14, 2020
'In her ruling, Howell cited concerns raised by the spread of coronavirus and its effect on the most vulnerable Americans. "Especially now, as a global pandemic poses widespread health risks, guaranteeing that government officials at both the federal and state levels have flexibility to address the nutritional needs of residents and ensure their well-being through programs like SNAP, is essential," she wrote.'

Jersey City store hit with $90K in fines for price gouging amid coronavirus outbreak: city officials
nj.com/Mar 13
"Jersey City has slapped a dollar store with $90,000 in fines after accusing the owners of exploiting the coronavirus crisis by overcharging customers for cleaning supplies."

Coronavirus: Spanish government imposes lockdown of entire country amid spread of virus
independent.co.uk/12 hours ago

France to close all restaurants, cafes, cinemas and clubs due to coronavirus
cnn.com/7 hr 24 min ago

How the US stacks up to other countries in confirmed coronavirus cases
vox.com/Mar 13, 2020
"America is testing people for coronavirus at a lower rate than other developed countries, and yet the data also shows the rate of people diagnosed with Covid-19 in the US is steadily rising, as quickly or more quickly than our peers abroad.

We don’t know the full extent of the outbreak, and America appears to have been less prepared for a pandemic than other countries in the first place."

Johns Hopkins Professor Says As Many As 500K Americans Have The Coronavirus
theintellectualist/Mar 13, 2020
"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are now more than 1,600 confirmed cases of the virus and 41 deaths, but Makary said those numbers merely reflect how many have been tested."

‘Revolting sycophancy’: Retired general rains hell on Mike Pence for ‘devotion’ to Trump as pandemic spreads
rawstory.com/March 14, 2020
'“Revolting sycophancy by Pence and others in the Administration to Trump. There are eerie echos of ‘supreme leader’ adulation to all of this. That Trump tolerates or needs this kind of faux devotion is dangerous in a democracy.”'

We're about to learn a terrible lesson from coronavirus: inequality kills
theguardian.com/14 Mar 2020
"The British class system is, at its worst, a killer. Men living in the poorest communities in the UK have an average of 9.4 years shorn off their life expectancies compared with those in the richest areas; for women, it’s 7.4 years. If you travel on the Jubilee Line from Westminster to Canning Town, every stop represents a year less in the average lifespan of local citizens. For the poorest women, life expectancy is in reverse."

How we know Trump was lying when he said ‘I didn’t do it’ and ‘I don’t know anything about’ closing the pandemic office
rawstory.com/14 hours ago
"There will be deaths and those deaths will have been avoidable.

President Donald Trump’s Friday afternoon press conference announcing a national emergency over the coronavirus pandemic was an astonishing self-congratulatory exercise in awful oratory, but it was also a grotesque snapshot into the decrepit world of Donald Trump."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Des Moines hospital official warns: 'We do not have enough of supplies' to combat coronavirus
desmoinesregister.com/March 16, 2020
"Dr. Yogesh Shah, chief medical officer at Broadlawns Medical Center in Des Moines, warned Monday that his facility needs more medical supplies to respond to the coronavirus, including ventilators and masks.

Shah said Broadlawns has just seven ventilators to treat patients who may need help breathing. The devices could prove crucial in treating patients with severe symptoms of COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the virus."

As Coronavirus Deepens Inequality, Inequality Worsens Its Spread
nytimes.com/March 15, 2020

‘Saturday Night Live’ Postpones Next Three Shows Because of Coronavirus
variety.com/March 16, 2020

Coronavirus: The incompetence pandemic
politico.eu/3/16/20

California plans to use private hotels, motels to shelter homeless people as coronavirus spreads
sacbee.com/March 15, 2020

Prisons Worldwide Face Coronavirus Crisis: Overcrowding, Lack of Sanitation & Labor at Slave Wages
democracynow.org/March 10, 2020

After Voting Against Relief, King Memes The Coronavirus Crisis
iowastartingline.com/March 16th, 2020

The EARN IT Bill Is the Government’s Plan to Scan Every Message Online
eff.org/March 12, 2020

Senate Leadership Is Pushing Through a Dangerous Surveillance Bill as Americans Are Focused on Covid-19
commondreams.org/March 16, 2020

Trump is reportedly upset about old video footage showing him throwing rolls of paper towels at first-responders in Puerto Rico
businessinsider.com/Sep 15, 2018

Coronavirus protests outside Downing Street as Boris is slammed for response
metro.co.uk/16 Mar 2020
"Protesters wearing hazmat suit sat down solemnly near Number 10 this morning, as the government faced mounting criticism over its handling of the coronavirus crisis."

Bolsonaro Lauds Protesters Taking to Streets Despite Virus Risk
bloomberg.com/March 15, 2020
"Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro applauded a series of pro-government, anti-Congress protests around the country on Sunday, three days after suggesting they would be canceled due the risk of coronavirus spread.

Bolsonaro joined a demonstration in Brasilia. In a live broadcast on social media, he distributed more than a dozen fist bumps to supporters outside of the presidential palace, protected behind two parallel waist-high grids.

The president, who tested negative to the virus this week after potentially being exposed by a staff member, also threw a hat to supporters and grabbed a Brazilian flag from the group packed behind the grids."

Otteration fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 17, 2020

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
DOJ seeks new emergency powers amid coronavirus pandemic
politico.com/03/21/2020
"The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies — part of a push for new powers that comes as the coronavirus spreads through the United States.

Documents reviewed by POLITICO detail the department’s requests to lawmakers on a host of topics, including the statute of limitations, asylum and the way court hearings are conducted. POLITICO also reviewed and previously reported on documents seeking the authority to extend deadlines on merger reviews and prosecutions."

'This system is doomed': Doctors, nurses sound off in NBC News coronavirus survey
nbcnews.com/March 20, 2020
"More than 250 health care workers responded to a social media survey seeking first-person accounts from those on the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic.

A hospital nurse in Michigan says she and her colleagues have discussed bringing in bleach to make their own disinfectant wipes. A pregnant nurse in Ohio says she has no choice but to tend to critically ill patients without a specialized N95 mask. And a health care worker in Georgia has resorted to scouring local hardware stores in an effort to secure the protective masks."

Orlando Airport Chili's asks servers to come in and clean, then fires them
orlandoweekly.com/Mar 20, 2020
"Update, March 21 | Readers and workers at the Chili's location have noted the restaurant is operated by franchisee HMS Host, not the parent company of Chili's Grill & Bar, Brinker International, which owns and franchises the brand. So don't get mad at Chili's corporate, just the people licensed to run this restaurant under their name.

Worse, the workers were called in and asked to disinfect and clean the entire restaurant, before being individually taken aside and terminated, according to News 13, which interviewed the workers."

Coronavirus: Trump calls for anti-malaria drug to be used 'immediately' despite caution from top health expert
independent.co.uk/10 hours ago

Pelosi Slams McConnell’s Latest Coronavirus Package, Says It’s A ‘Non-Starter’
talkingpointsmemo.com/March 21, 2020

UK government to pay 80% of wages for those not working in coronavirus crisis
theguardian.com/20 Mar 2020
'The government is to pay the wages of millions of workers across Britain to keep them in jobs as the economic fallout from the coronavirus outbreak escalates.

In an unprecedented step for the British government, the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, said the state would pay grants covering up to 80% of the salary of workers if companies kept them on their payroll, rather than lay them off as the economy crashes. The extraordinary payments will be worth up to a maximum of £2,500 per month, just above the median income.

Coming just days after the government announced a business bailout package worth £350bn to help firms cope with the lockdown of large parts of the British economy as the disease spreads, the chancellor described his revamped plan as one of the most comprehensive in the world and “unprecedented in British history”. City economists said the new plan would cost an additional £78bn.
Coronavirus: the week explained - sign up for our email newsletter
Read more

Sunak said: “We are starting a great national effort to protect jobs. We want to look back on this time and remember how in the face of a generation-defining moment we undertook a collective national effort and we stood together. It’s on all of us.”

The chancellor said his commitments were “unprecedented measures for unprecedented times” as he appealed to the public to support each other.

“Now more than at any time in our history we will be judged by our capacity for compassion. Our ability to come through this won’t just be down to what government or businesses do but the individual acts of kindness that we show each other.”

He said there would be no limit on the funding available to pay people’s wages. The payments will be backdated to the start of March, will be up and running within weeks, open initially for at least three months, and could be extended if necessary.

Speaking directly to employers as growing numbers of British firms teeter on the brink of collapse, leaving millions of jobs hanging in the balance, Sunak said: “The government is doing its best to stand behind you. And I’m asking you to do your best to stand behind our workers.”

The government is also deferring the next quarter of VAT payments, which is the equivalent of injecting another £30bn into the economy and is designed to help companies stay afloat, he added.

Sunak was speaking alongside Boris Johnson at the daily Downing Street press conference hours after schools shut to most children until further notice and just after the prime minister announced the enforced closure of pubs, restaurants, theatres and other social venues. The shutdowns will have dramatic repercussions for the economy, and Johnson said the package of financial aid was intended to be temporary, and part of a “joint objective” between people and the government to beat the disease.

“We will do everything in our power to help. Supporting you directly in a way that government has never done before, in addition to the package we have already set out for business,” Johnson said.'
Coronavirus protest in Brazil sees millions bang pots from balconies
bbc.com/19 March 2020
"Millions of protesters in the cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro appeared at windows on Wednesday evening calling for the president to step down.

It was the biggest protest against Mr Bolsonaro's government to date.

There are over 500 cases of the virus in Brazil, including two government ministers. Four people have died.

Mr Bolsonaro, who has previously dismissed precautions taken against the novel coronavirus as "hysteria" and "fantasy", has been criticised for his response to the deadly outbreak.

The president has been tested for the virus twice, but said on both occasions the results were negative."
Millions.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Otteration posted:

Orlando Airport Chili's asks servers to come in and clean, then fires them
orlandoweekly.com/Mar 20, 2020
"Update, March 21 | Readers and workers at the Chili's location have noted the restaurant is operated by franchisee HMS Host, not the parent company of Chili's Grill & Bar, Brinker International, which owns and franchises the brand. So don't get mad at Chili's corporate, just the people licensed to run this restaurant under their name.

Worse, the workers were called in and asked to disinfect and clean the entire restaurant, before being individually taken aside and terminated, according to News 13, which interviewed the workers."

Ugh. My company hires contractors for various functions, like provisioning laptops. Since we're based in San Francisco, one of those teams has been on notice to be prepped to work from home for a while. Corporate sent out emails right way making sure we knew all personnel, even contractors, would be able to get paid without risking their lives on public transit or being downtown.

Next thing I know, my phone's getting blown up by contractors who have been told by their manager (who is at the contracting agency, not our side) that they have to go in. Like...we turned off their loving badges last week. THEY CAN'T GO IN. THEY RISK GETTING FINED IF THEY TRY. But if they don't go in, they don't get paid, says their manager :v:

I can't go into more detail than that, but this whole thing is an unbelievable fuckshow. I'm not even a manager, I'm just someone the lower level employees trust because I'm not an rear end in a top hat to them :smith:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Ugh. My company hires contractors for various functions, like provisioning laptops. Since we're based in San Francisco, one of those teams has been on notice to be prepped to work from home for a while. Corporate sent out emails right way making sure we knew all personnel, even contractors, would be able to get paid without risking their lives on public transit or being downtown.

Next thing I know, my phone's getting blown up by contractors who have been told by their manager (who is at the contracting agency, not our side) that they have to go in. Like...we turned off their loving badges last week. THEY CAN'T GO IN. THEY RISK GETTING FINED IF THEY TRY. But if they don't go in, they don't get paid, says their manager :v:

I can't go into more detail than that, but this whole thing is an unbelievable fuckshow. I'm not even a manager, I'm just someone the lower level employees trust because I'm not an rear end in a top hat to them :smith:

Take that to the Corporate thread, or one of the IT threads when you can. Inquiring minds want to know ! We're taking care of our contractors as well as our FTEs and I'm pissed off at whoever that fuckhead manager is.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
“They Ignored the Warning Signs”: A New York City ER Doctor Explains What She’s Up Against
vogue.com/March 20, 2020

Despite Coronavirus, Hourly Employees Have to Show Up to Work. Who Is Working for Them?
esquire.com/Mar 20, 2020

Former CDC director: There's a long war ahead and our Covid-19 response must adapt
cnn.com/March 21, 2020

Immigrant farmworkers feed us despite the coronavirus pandemic. They deserve better
sacbee.com/opinion/March 21, 2020 (Sacramento Bee)

Restaurant Suppliers Are Stuck With Tons of Unsold Food
bloomberg.com/March 21, 2020
"Companies that source food for London and New York’s top restaurants and hotels suddenly have a lot of product they can’t sell."

FDA Approves First Rapid COVID-19 Test
npr.org/March 21, 2020

Cuban doctors head to Italy battle coronavirus
reuters.com/March 21, 2020

Iran only state that can’t buy medical items from abroad due to US bans: Envoy to Madrid
presstv.com/19 March 2020

Trump Told Governors to Buy Own Virus Supplies, Then Outbid Them
bloomberg.com/March 19, 2020
"President Donald Trump’s directive for governors to buy their own medical supplies to fight the coronavirus has run into a big problem -- the federal government.

Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker told Trump during a video conference on Thursday that his state three times lost out to the federal government on purchases of critical supplies, creating an awkward moment during the made-for-TV event at Federal Emergency Management Agency headquarters in Washington."

White supremacists encouraging their members to spread coronavirus to cops, Jews, FBI says
abcnews.go.com/March 22, 2020
'Racist extremist groups, including neo-Nazis and other white supremacists, are encouraging members who contract novel coronavirus disease to spread the contagion to cops and Jews, according to intelligence gathered by the FBI.

In an alert obtained by ABC News, the FBI’s New York office reports that "members of extremist groups are encouraging one another to spread the virus, if contracted, through bodily fluids and personal interactions."'

Siege of Fort Pitt
wikipedia.org/
"This event is best known as an early instance of biological warfare, where the British gave items from a smallpox infirmary as gifts to Native American emissaries with the hope of spreading the deadly disease to nearby tribes. The effectiveness is unknown, although it is known that the method used is inefficient compared to respiratory transmission and these attempts to spread the disease are difficult to differentiate from epidemics occurring from previous contacts with colonists."

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
nm

SaTaMaS fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 23, 2020

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1242150267774062597?s=19

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Spanish Military Finds Dead Bodies And Seniors 'Completely Abandoned' In Care Homes
npr.org/March 24, 2020
"While the usual protocol in Spanish nursing homes is to put the body of a deceased person in cold storage until a funeral service picks it up, bodies are now being left in beds until properly equipped staff can remove them.

Speaking in a television interview, Robles said staff in some centers had left the nursing homes after cases of COVID-19 were detected. Residents were abandoned to take care of themselves, even though some were sick and in serious condition."

San Francisco Hotels Offer Up 8500 Rooms And Counting for Homeless, Healthcare Workers
sfist.com/24 March 2020
"A total of 31 hotels in San Francisco have stepped up to offer 8,500 vacant rooms for lease by the city, and more may be getting under contract soon."

Coronavirus Treatment Developed by Gilead Sciences Granted “Rare Disease” Status, Potentially Limiting Affordability
theintercept.com/March 23 2020
'Experts warn that the designation, reserved for treating “rare diseases,” could block supplies of the antiviral medication from generic drug manufacturers and provide a lucrative windfall for Gilead Sciences, which maintains close ties with President Donald Trump’s task force for controlling the coronavirus crisis. Joe Grogan, who serves on the White House coronavirus task force, lobbied for Gilead from 2011 to 2017 on issues including the pricing of pharmaceuticals.'

House panel warns coronavirus could destroy Postal Service by June
politico.com/03/23/2020
'“It has become clear that the Postal Service will not survive the summer without immediate help,” said Rep. Carolyn Maloney.'

We'd Tell Susan Collins To Go F*ck Herself, But Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Took Care Of That
wonkette.com/March 23, 2020

Washington Supreme Court Orders Judges to Keep People Out of Jail
slate.com/March 23, 2020
"A prosecutor who worked on the far-reaching order explains why the courts must act now."

‘I’ll be the oversight’: Trump vows he will personally oversee $500 billion coronavirus slush fund
rawstory.com/March 23, 2020

Why you must act now
covidactnow.org/]NOW.
"Public leaders & health officials: The only thing that matters right now is the speed of your response"

Spit On, Yelled At, Attacked: Chinese-Americans Fear for Their Safety
nytimes.com./March 23, 2020
"As bigots blame them for the coronavirus and President Trump labels it the “Chinese virus,” many Chinese-Americans say they are terrified of what could come next."

Like a f---ing slave ship': Lawyer details horrific conditions at Rikers Island jails amid COVID-19
dailykos.com/March 24, 2020
"New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio responded to passionate pleas from activists to release low-level offenders amid the COVID-19 pandemic with a plan to do exactly that. On Tuesday, the mayor announced the planned release of about 300 nonviolent inmates from Rikers Island, according to CNBC. Officials had already reported at least 38 confirmed cases of the virus at the jail complex and in other nearby jails, according to Time magazine. Scott Hechinger, a Brooklyn public defender, described conditions at Rikers as horrific in a long Twitter thread Monday. "PLEASE READ: Conditions on Rikers are unimaginably bad. My colleague has spoken to a few people trapped inside. What they told her is horrifying,” he said in one tweet. “Unless @NYGovCuomo , @NYCMayor , & all DAs do something ASAP, we're looking at mass death."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads
ft.com/3 hours ago
"The human cost of the coronavirus outbreak has continued to mount, with more than 1.5m cases confirmed globally and over 87,400 people known to have died from the disease."

[The US has emerged on the top of the medal count in these horrible, horrible Olympics.]

Covid vs. US Daily Average Cause of Death
"By Robert Martin on 7 Apr 2020"

[Clickable animation: Actually, COVID-19 has emerged on the top of the medal count in these horrible, horrible Olympics.]

Colorado’s Governor: The Feds Swooped In And Took Colorado’s Ventilators
theintellectualist/6 hours ago
"As the state was working out a deal with a manufacturer for ventilators, the Federal Emergency Management Agency stepped in and took it themselves, Polis said, according to the Denver Post."

On $2.2 trillion aid package, Trump acts like he has something to hide
msnbc.com/April 8, 2020

Progressive youth groups issue a list of demands for Joe Biden
nbcnews.com/April 8, 2020

'Seven progressive groups made up of young activists wrote a letter to Joe Biden, the apparent Democratic presidential nominee, with a set of aggressive demands spanning policy and personnel to earn their support in the general election against President Donald Trump.

The letter, which comes hours after Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., ended his campaign, tells Biden that his pitch to "return to normalcy" won't earn the trust of younger generations or inspire them to vote, arguing that they were already falling behind economically before Trump took office.'

GE Workers in Mass. Protest, Demand Safety Measures Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
nbcboston.com/April 8, 2020

'Employees of General Electric in Massachusetts held a protest Wednesday, joining similar demonstrations around the country demanding the conglomerate create safer working conditions amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The protest, which involved members of the Industrial Division of the Communications Workers of America Local 20, took place at the GE aviation facility in Lynn.
GE officials say the company has spent 10 times its annual cleaning budget and is investing in more cleaning staff, more frequent cleaning and more supplies. It has also put zoning protocols to improve social distancing in place.

The company has also provided additional 14 days paid sick leave for employees diagnosed with COVID-19, with a presumed COVID-19 diagnosis from a doctor or with prolonged exposure to a COVID-19 positive person, according to officials.

Local 201's request for a paid shut down was rejected by GE, says the union.

“Our Lynn facility is considered essential by Homeland Security because our work provides mission-critical equipment to the U.S. military, and this facility remains focused on aviation production of engines and spare parts for fighter jets and helicopters," wrote GE in a statement. "Separately, GE’s healthcare business has already doubled ventilator production and continues to explore additional opportunities to support the fight against COVID-19, prioritizing fast, efficient options to meet this immediate need."'

With parade of vehicles replacing a march, protesters call for rent and mortgage relief
startribune.com/April 8, 2020

"With a parade of vehicles replacing a protest march and rally, tenants’ advocates called for rent and mortgage relief in the midst of the corona­virus pandemic.

In what may become a harbinger of how protesters will function during the pandemic, dozens of honking cars plastered with signs circled U.S. Bank Plaza in downtown Minneapolis on Wednesday, calling for a cancellation of rent and mortgage payments during widespread shutdowns."

Coronavirus chills protests from Chile to Hong Kong to Iraq, forcing activists to innovate
washingtonpost.com/April 4, 2020
'Only weeks ago, thousands of Chileans were filling the streets of Santiago for regular Friday protests against cost-of-living pressures, uneven growth and rising inequality. The left-leaning demonstrators made demands that included the resignation of the president and the end of capitalism.

Then came the novel coronavirus. And just like that, large gatherings were banned, and the demonstrations died.

“The virus is just what the government needed,” said Antonio Cueto, a volunteer rescue worker who provided medical assistance to protesters. “It’s saved them for a bit.”'

["For a bit."]

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads | Free to read
ft.com/2 hours ago
"This page provides an up-to-date visual narrative of the spread of Covid-19 so please check back regularly because we will be refreshing it with new graphics and features as the story evolves."

[The USA! continues to lead in the medal count in this summers fancy Olympics.]

public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/8 Apr 2020

[COVID-19 has maintained its lead during the animated-deathly side games though.]

Fauci Warns Going Back To Normal Won’t ‘Be A Light Switch That You Turn On And Off’
huffpost.com/04/09/2020
'“Hopefully, by the time we get to the summer, we will have taken many steps in that direction,” he said. He added that Americans might be able to make plans for summer events only “if we do the things that we need to do to prevent the resurgence” of the virus.'

Gavin Newsom Declares California a ‘Nation-State’
bloomberg.com/April 9, 2020
"California this week declared its independence from the federal government’s feeble efforts to fight Covid-19 — and perhaps from a bit more. The consequences for the fight against the pandemic are almost certainly positive. The implications for the brewing civil war between Trumpism and America’s budding 21st-century majority, embodied by California’s multiracial liberal electorate, are less clear."

Oversight erased, Supreme Court hijacked: Trump turns the presidency into a dictatorship
usatoday.com/Apr. 9, 2020
"Trump has stripped away the levers of independent oversight until there's nothing left. Our democracy is in the midst of a three-alarm fire."

Bill O'Reilly: “Many people who are dying, both here and around the world, were on their last legs anyway”
mediamatters.org/04/08/20
"SEAN HANNITY (HOST): I want life back to normal, can you fix that in a simple way?

BILL O'REILLY: Oh man I wish I could, you know?

HANNITY: Oh, me too.

O'REILLY: But we're making little steps. Bernie Sanders, you know, he's -- he's gone, that's really good for everybody. The projections that you just mentioned are down to 60,000, I don't think it will be that high. 13,000 dead now in the USA. Many people who are dying, both here and around the world, were on their last legs anyway, and I don't want to sound callous about that.

HANNITY: You're gonna get -- hold on, you're going to get hammered for that.

O'REILLY: Well, I don't care. I mean, a simple man tells the truth."

Liberty University police issue arrest warrants for NYT, ProPublica reporters
thehill.com/04/09/20
"Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. on Wednesday said that arrest warrants had been issued for reporters from The New York Times and ProPublica after both publications wrote stories criticizing his decision last month to partially reopen his Virginia-based college."

'Extremely Alarming': Coronavirus Stimulus Law Allows the Federal Reserve to Hold Secret Meetings on Corporate Bailouts
commondreams.org/April 09, 2020
"A brief and obscure provision buried in the nearly 900-page coronavirus stimulus package passed by Congress last month authorizes the Federal Reserve to skirt longstanding transparency and accountability requirements as it doles out trillions of dollars in taxpayer money to large corporations."

Following Backlash Trump Admin Now Says Funding for COVID-19 Testing Sites Will Continue
rollingstone.com/April 9, 2020
"UPDATE: The Department of Health and Human Services is now saying they have halted their plans to end support for coronavirus testing sites to states on Friday, according to a Thursday night report from NPR.

The report goes to say that localities will be able to choose whether they want federal funding and assistance to continue."

Protesters try to disrupt Gov. Mike DeWine’s daily coronavirus briefing
cleveland.com/Today 2:59 PM
"The governor said earlier in the briefing that in the “next week or so,” his administration will release “a fairly sophisticated plan” to ease the state’s coronavirus restrictions as the crisis subsides."

Inmates Protest at Washington State Prison After Series of Positive COVID-19 Diagnoses
time.com/April 9, 2020
"More than 100 inmates at a Washington state prison facility in Monroe, Wash. staged a protest Wednesday, the same day officials announced that six prisoners had tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Washington State Department of Corrections (DOC)."

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
That is one HELL of a set of stories

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The US is so hosed.

I'm so sorry for you all, I really am.

Just sooooooo hosed.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The US is so hosed.

I'm so sorry for you all, I really am.

Just sooooooo hosed.

This time you can victim blame. We really were begging for it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Don't cry for us, we're already dead

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

We are the political equivalent of a Darwin Award.

If you put a bunch of tannerite in a lawnmower and shoot it, expect a blade to come flying towards you.

If you elect people dead set on dismantling the government and selling it to the highest bidder, don't be surprised when it's not equipped to handle a disaster, and spends it's time and effort making sure private parties get rich over it.

The only thing to do now is make that ad money on the video.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
ft.com/2 hours ago

"Latest changes
April 9: All maps and charts now exclude nursing home deaths from France’s totals to maintain cross-national comparability
April 8: Added streamgraph and stacked column charts, showing regional daily deaths of patients diagnosed with coronavirus.
April 7: The maps now display total deaths rather than confirmed cases."

flourish.studio/4/8/20

Novartis paid Trump lawyer Michael Cohen $1.2 million for advice on Obamacare – work he was unable to do
cnbc.com/May 9 2018
'"Drug giant Novartis revealed Wednesday that it paid President Donald Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen $1.2 million for health-care policy consulting work that he proved “unable” to do.

The company also said it has been questioned by special counsel Robert Mueller’s team about the payments to Cohen.

NBC News reported later Wednesday that a senior Novartis official said that Cohen reached out shortly after Trump’s election “promising access” to the new administration.

Novartis said it signed a one-year contract with Cohen’s shell company, Essential Consultants, for $100,000 per month in February 2017, shortly after Trump was inaugurated as president.

Novartis said it believed Cohen “could advise the company as to how the Trump administration might approach certain U.S. health-care policy matters, including the Affordable Care Act.”

But just a month after signing the deal, Novartis executives had their first meeting with Cohen, and afterward “determined that Michael Cohen and Essentials Consultants would be unable to provide the services that Novartis had anticipated.”'

"And that's that."
youtu.be/Jan 5, 2015
"And there was nothing we could do about it."

And a tax for how angry the rest of us should be:

https://i.imgur.com/Y3pzMFm.mp4

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Deep story by the nyt on the scale of the administration’s failure

quote:

He Could Have Seen What Was Coming: Behind Trump’s Failure on the Virus

An examination reveals the president was warned about the potential for a pandemic but that internal divisions, lack of planning and his faith in his own instincts led to a halting response.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-response.html

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
NIH Begins Study to Quantify Undetected Cases of Coronavirus Infection
niaid.nih.gov/April 10, 2020
"Blood Samples from Healthy Volunteers Needed to Inform Public Health Decision Making"
"A new study has begun recruiting at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland to determine how many adults in the United States without a confirmed history of infection with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), have antibodies to the virus. The presence of antibodies in the blood indicates a prior infection. In this “serosurvey,” researchers will collect and analyze blood samples from as many as 10,000 volunteers to provide critical data for epidemiological models. The results will help illuminate the extent to which the novel coronavirus has spread undetected in the United States and provide insights into which communities and populations are most affected."

ft.com/2 hours ago
[As always, includes graph wherein our medal count continues to rise above all of the weak countries.]

Iceland has tested more of its population for coronavirus than anywhere else. Here's what it learned
usatoday.com/Apr. 10, 2020
"Iceland has achieved something no other country has: tested 10% of its population for coronavirus, a figure far higher than anywhere else in the world.

No country or scientist or doctor has all the answers about the pandemic that has swept the globe, infecting more than 1.6 million people and killing at least 95,000.

But some places, such as tiny Iceland, Europe's most sparsely populated country – pop. 364,134, broadly equivalent to the number of people in Tulsa, Oklahoma – may be better placed to deliver some types of coronavirus information, and even answers than most, at least in the short term, according to public health experts, international government officials and others involved in responding to the outbreak."

Trump Has Emergency Powers We Aren’t Allowed to Know About
nytimes.com/opinion/April 10, 2020
"Given that they could make their first appearance in the coronavirus crisis, Congress should insist on having full access to them.
By Elizabeth Goitein and Andrew Boyle
Ms. Goitein and Mr. Boyle work at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law."
'The past few weeks have given Americans a crash course in the powers that federal, state and local governments wield during emergencies. We’ve seen businesses closed down, citizens quarantined and travel restricted. When President Trump declared emergencies on March 13 under both the Stafford Act and the National Emergencies Act, he boasted, “I have the right to do a lot of things that people don’t even know about.”

The president is right. Some of the most potent emergency powers at his disposal are likely ones we can’t know about, because they are not contained in any publicly available laws. Instead, they are set forth in classified documents known as “presidential emergency action documents.”'

The rising number of deaths at homes have NYPD detectives fighting an 'invisible bullet'
cnn.com/April 10, 2020
'As coronavirus ravages the city, New York Police Department detectives are responding to a significant rise in calls to homes where a death is reported, an increase one detective called "overwhelming."

Detectives are often the first to go inside homes where a death is reported. Lately, most of the calls involved a person who died from a Covid-19 infection.

"Any death, detectives have to respond and make sure it's of natural causes and conduct an investigation," says NYPD Detective Endowment Association President Paul DiGiacomo, who estimates his members are seeing triple the amount of dead on arrival (DOA) calls they normally have.'
'"Now, I am a pair of eyeballs and a mask trying to do my job," he said. "Imagine someone in a complete plastic suit trying to comfort you."'

The Supreme Court’s Latest Betrayal Should Be Its Last
crooked.com/Apr.10.20
"With their decision forcing Wisconsinites to choose between protecting their lives and exercising their right to vote, the Supreme Court’s conservative justices have fully revealed themselves as partisan operatives working hand-in-hand with the Republican Party and the Trump administration to dismantle democracy and entrench themselves as a permanent ruling minority. There can no longer be any doubt about their intentions. The only question remaining is what can be done to stop them."

[Caution: All true and repostable at your social media holdouts, but not revolutionary in its suggestions.]

Mafia distributes food to Italy's struggling residents
theguardian.com/10 Apr 2020
"Organised crime groups offer support to quarantined families who have run out of cash"
"As Italy struggles to pull its economy through the coronavirus crisis, the Mafia is gaining local support by distributing free food to poor families in quarantine who have run out of cash, authorities have warned.

In recent weeks, videos have surfaced of known Mafia gangs delivering essential goods to Italians hit hard by the coronavirus emergency across the poorest southern regions of Campania, Calabria, Sicily and Puglia, as tensions rise across the country."

Fascists Are Using COVID-19 to Advance Their Agenda. It’s Up to Us to Stop Them.
truthout.org/April 11, 2020
"The COVID-19 crisis is a story of a predictable pandemic. It is a result of the willful ignorance of the impact of the climate crisis and unsustainable expansion, a failure of multiple governments and the intentional under-resourcing of public health and medical systems. It results from our societies’ ignoring of the conditions for poor people, the unhoused, disabled and chronically ill people, sex workers, migrants, communities of color and street-based communities, and the exploitation of this crisis by a rich, privileged and powerful fascist minority. Our government had the information, the resources, and the ability to prepare for this pandemic, including supporting those most at risk. We could have had the tests, the masks, the ventilators, the resources and emergency plans."

Peaceful protests held near Elkton as concern for inmates grows
wkbn.com/Apr 11, 2020
'As numbers of positive coronavirus cases continue to grow at the prison, some are concerned for inmates.

People protested near Elkton Saturday afternoon.

“He wasn’t given a death sentence. Their loved ones weren’t given death sentences. Why can’t they come home?” said one protestor.

Peaceful protesters stood down the road from Elkton Federal Prison in Lisbon, voicing their concerns for loved ones inside the facility.

“There’s no protection for the guards nor the inmates. There are inmates we know personally who have caught the coronavirus,” said Chantell Brooks, a cousin of an Elkton inmate.'

Wuhan Rent Protest Shows Unrest Brewing in China After Lockdown
bloomberg.com/April 9, 2020
'Dozens of small shop owners protested outside one of Wuhan’s biggest shopping malls to demand a cut in rent, in one of the first signs of unrest since authorities lifted a lockdown at the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak.

Sitting down about one meter apart, the shop owners on Friday sat or kneeled outside the Grand Ocean Department Store, wearing masks and holding placards as police monitored. A day earlier they chanted “Exempt rental for a year, or refund the lease” in videos uploaded on the Chinese social media platform Sina Weibo that were quickly censored.

“Can’t survive” said a sign held by one woman who rented a stall at Grand Ocean, which also called on the landlord to return the rent and security deposit during the period of the lockdown.'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
South Dakota’s governor resisted ordering people to stay home. Now it has one of the nation’s largest coronavirus hot spots.
msn.com/10 hrs ago
'As governors across the country fell into line in recent weeks, South Dakota’s top elected leader stood firm: There would be no statewide order to stay home.

Such edicts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Kristi L. Noem said disparagingly, reflected a “herd mentality.” It was up to individuals — not government — to decide whether “to exercise their right to work, to worship and to play. Or to even stay at home.”

And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, “South Dakota is not New York City.”'

US for-profit healthcare sector cuts thousands of jobs as pandemic rages
theguardian.com/14 Apr 2020
"Health workers are facing layoffs, furloughs and cuts to salaries and schedules in response to declines in revenue"
'Maureen Zeman was a registered nurse for 29 years at a hospital in San Jose, California, before she was laid off with dozens of other nurses – amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Many states across the US have stopped elective medical procedures as part of emergency shutdowns to curb the spread of the coronavirus. As a result, hospitals and medical clinics are implementing layoffs, furloughs and cuts to salaries and work schedules in response to declines in revenue.

The for-profit company that owns the hospital where Zeman worked decided to shut down the maternal delivery department at the end of March. It put Zeman and many others out of a job, and left patients with far fewer options.

“They say it’s not related to Covid-19, but it’s a huge disservice to the women of the east side of San Jose. Doing this during a pandemic is terrible,” said Zeman. “They said it wasn’t financially stable to keep the unit open, and so they’re closing. Our big concern is we’re a trauma center and there are no hospitals in this area that can take care of women and children’s services.”'

[Have seen this today as an argument from the nazis that all is well: "Why are hospitals laying off people then?"]

ICE ignores coronavirus guidelines in detention, federal lawsuit says. ‘Many will die.’
miamiherald.com/April 13, 2020
'National health experts say U.S. immigration officials are violating federal guidelines by grouping inmates together by the hundreds if they have COVID-19 symptoms or have been exposed to the coronavirus, according to a lawsuit filed in Miami federal court Monday.

The lawsuit — filed by the University of Miami’s immigration law clinic, the Southern Poverty Law Center, the Rapid Defense Network in New York, the Legal Aid Service of Broward County and Prada Urizar, a private Miami law firm, against U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the U.S. Attorney General — seeks the release of detainees in three South Florida detention centers, citing health experts who say the practice of “cohorting” — segregating affected inmates in separate areas — is actually spreading the coronavirus “like wildfire” among detainees and staff.'

Who Is Jared Kushner? Narrated By Anna Akana
youtube.com/Mar 4, 2020

The Revolution Is Under Way Already
theatlantic.com/April 5, 2020
"Far from making Americans crave stability, the pandemic underscores how everything is up for grabs."
"Fear sweeps the land. Many businesses collapse. Some huge fortunes are made. Panicked consumers stockpile paper, food, and weapons. The government’s reaction is inconsistent and ineffectual. Ordinary commerce grinds to a halt; investors can find no safe assets. Political factionalism grows more intense. Everything falls apart.

This was all as true of revolutionary France in 1789 and 1790 as it is of the United States today. Are we at the beginning of a revolution that has yet to be named? Do we want to be? That we are on the verge of a major transformation seems obvious. The onset of the next Depression, a challenge akin to World War II, a national midlife crisis—these comparisons have been offered and many more. But few are calling our current moment a revolution, and some have suggested that the coronavirus pandemic—coinciding as it has with the surge in Joe Biden’s bid for the Democratic presidential nomination and the decline of Bernie Sanders’s—marks the end of any such possibility. “The Coronavirus Killed the Revolution,” declared the headline of a recent essay in The Atlantic by Shadi Hamid, who argued that the COVID-19 crisis makes people crave “normalcy” over deep structural change. As a historian of 18th- and 19th-century France, I think claims like these are mistaken."

ft.com/4 hours ago
"The human cost of the coronavirus outbreak has continued to mount, with more than 1.99m cases confirmed globally and more than 120,000 people known to have died from the disease.

The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a pandemic and it has spread to more than 190 countries around the world.

This page provides an up-to-date visual narrative of the spread of Covid-19 so please check back regularly because we will be refreshing it with new graphics and features as the story evolves."

FDA clears first saliva test to diagnose coronavirus
nbcnews.com/April 13, 2020
"Rutgers University researchers have received U.S. government clearance for the first saliva test to help diagnose COVID-19, a new approach that could help expand testing options and reduce risks of infection for health care workers."

They can't march in the streets. So they're protesting in their cars instead
cnn.com/April 14, 2020
'The protesters met up at a gas station.

They taped signs on the sides of their cars and got ready to blare their horns.

Then they drove slowly down the street together.

The scene on a recent evening in Eloy, Arizona, about 60 miles southeast of Phoenix, was different than any demonstration Natally Cruz had joined before.

"I felt chills ... just to see how much support there is out there, to see how even at this hard time, people are still trying to find a way to help one another," says Cruz, who headed to the protest in her black Nissan Maxima with several signs in tow.'

Are We at the Start of a New Protest Movement?
nytimes.com/April 13, 2020
"The immediate immiseration of millions of people highlights our mutual bond."
"The coronavirus catastrophe shows that we need political protests more than ever. Tens of millions of citizens sit at home awaiting meager checks that may reach them by August. Countless people endure the bewilderment of navigating call centers that often fail to connect them to unemployment benefits. Donations to food banks have fallen while need rises. The inept federal response slows the arrival of aid, forcing people to defy the “social distancing” necessary to keep the virus at bay."

Arrest made as protesters call for North Carolina businesses to reopen
wbtv.com/ April 14, 2020
'A group of demonstrators are outside the General Assembly in downtown Raleigh Tuesday morning calling for businesses to reopen amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Some are holding signs that say “Reopen NC” while another has a sign that reads “Freedom is not free.”

Another has a sign with “#ReopenNC #Tyranny.”

Raleigh police were on scene – telling the demonstrators they were in violation of the executive order.'

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

quote:

Trump halts World Health Organization funding over coronavirus 'failure'

US president accuses group of promoting disinformation and says it ‘must be held accountable’

Yes, the WHO has been spreading the cheeks for China, but this is some kettle calling the pot black insanity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Stimulus Checks May Be Delayed As Trump Requires U.S. Treasury to Print His Name on Them

quote:

Late Monday evening, the U.S. Treasury Department ordered the Internal Revenue Service to print President Donald Trump's name on the stimulus checks it is sending to millions of Americans nationwide, reports The Washington Post.

The Treasury Department's order could cause the checks to be delayed by several days or longer, senior agency officials told the publication.

The unprecedented decision will mark the first time in history that a president's name has ever appeared on an IRS disbursement

I'm beyond words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's going to work too. Not for the millions who have tapped out of politics or who already hate him, but it will absolutely energize his base.

now watch as trump industries starts selling limited edition trump hats, the proceeds* of which will go to help ordinary americans through this crisis, only 199 apiece

*some of the proceeds**
**5 percent