Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Trump Coronovirus Stimulus Relief Commemorative Gold Coin, brought to you by The US Mint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Taerkar posted:

The Trump Coronovirus Stimulus Relief Commemorative Gold Coin, brought to you by The US Mint.
Remember how we were joking that Obama would mint the trillion dollar coin?

Trump's gonna mint a 3 trillion dollar coin, platinum core with purestrain gold gilding.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The idea that someone somewhere expects a loving trauma center to be financially neutral

geegee
Aug 6, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

The idea that someone somewhere expects a loving trauma center to be financially neutral

Hmm what'd I miss now? Anything more?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
The Trump administration awarded a $55 million contract to a bankrupt company with zero employees for N95 masks, which it's never manufactured
businessinsider.com/Apr 16, 2020
"The coronavirus pandemic has created a desperate clamber for vital medical supplies, like N95 masks, that has led the federal government to award massive contracts to third-party vendors to help fill the gaps.

In this chaotic effort to obtain supplies, the Trump administration awarded a $55 million contract to Panthera Worldwide LLC, a company with no expertise in the world of medical equipment, for N95 masks, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday."

Netanyahu's Son Says He 'Hopes' Leftists Will Die of Coronavirus Following Protest
haaretz.com/Apr 17, 2020
"Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's son, Yair Netanyahu, wrote on Twitter Thursday following a protest against the premier that he hopes "the elderly people who die following this protest will be from your bloc," referring to left-wing parties."

Proposed: $2,000 Monthly Stimulus Checks And Canceled Rent And Mortgage Payments For 1 Year
forbes.com/Apr 18, 2020
"The CARES Act provided a lifeline for taxpayers and small businesses. But as a one-time cash payment, many fear that it didn’t do enough to support taxpayers in one of our country’s greatest times of need. Especially in light of the fact that many people still have not received their stimulus checks.

To address this, Congressional leaders have made two separate proposals, one that would provide Americans over the age of 16 with a $2,000 monthly check for up to 12 months, and one that would cancel rent and mortgage payments through the duration of the coronavirus emergency.

Let’s take a deeper look:

Representatives Ro Khanna (D-CA) and Tim Ryan (D-OH) introduced the Emergency Money for the People Act. This Act, if passed, would provide additional cash payments to Americans who have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Emergency Money for the People Act would provide a $2,000 monthly payment to every qualifying American over the age of 16 for up to 12 months."

Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads | Free to read
ft.com/6 hours ago
"The human cost of the coronavirus outbreak has continued to mount, with more than 2.25m cases confirmed globally and more than 146,200 people known to have died from the disease.

The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a pandemic and it has spread to more than 190 countries around the world.

This page provides an up-to-date visual narrative of the spread of Covid-19 so please check back regularly because we will be refreshing it with new graphics and features as the story evolves."

[Includes a happy graphic wherein the USA! continues to win all the COVID-19 gold medals!]

Edited: Forgot to include the Forbes citation and date.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 19, 2020

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Otteration posted:

Proposed: $2,000 Monthly Stimulus Checks And Canceled Rent And Mortgage Payments For 1 Year
forbes.com/Apr 18, 2020
"The CARES Act provided a lifeline for taxpayers and small businesses. But as a one-time cash payment, many fear that it didn’t do enough to support taxpayers in one of our country’s greatest times of need. Especially in light of the fact that many people still have not received their stimulus checks.

To address this, Congressional leaders have made two separate proposals, one that would provide Americans over the age of 16 with a $2,000 monthly check for up to 12 months, and one that would cancel rent and mortgage payments through the duration of the coronavirus emergency.

Let’s take a deeper look:

Representatives Ro Khanna (D-CA) and Tim Ryan (D-OH) introduced the Emergency Money for the People Act. This Act, if passed, would provide additional cash payments to Americans who have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Emergency Money for the People Act would provide a $2,000 monthly payment to every qualifying American over the age of 16 for up to 12 months."

There is pretty much 0% chance of this happening right? I mean, that would pull me out of debt and make life a lot better for sure, but I've become accustomed to disbelieving things that sound too good to be true

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lube banjo posted:

There is pretty much 0% chance of this happening right? I mean, that would pull me out of debt and make life a lot better for sure, but I've become accustomed to disbelieving things that sound too good to be true

Basically zero chance

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lube banjo posted:

Not while McConnell crawls the ooze

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Free lunches are ONLY for corporations and millionaires. The rest of us pick up the tab.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

anonumos posted:

Free lunches are ONLY for corporations and millionaires. The rest of us pick up the tab.

You got your 1200 Trumpmarks, right? God, liberals whine about everything! (this is a joke)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

MA-Horus posted:

You got your 1200 Trumpmarks, right? God, liberals whine about everything! (this is a joke)

Due to my status as a sex haver, I got 3400 big'uns from Grandaddy Dumph!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

anonumos posted:

Due to my status as a sex haver, I got 3400 big'uns from Grandaddy Dumph!

Due to my status as an unemployed millennial forced to live with their parents by necessity and who has allowed themself to be claimed as a dependent to ease the financial burden I'm placing on them, I'm not getting anything! I bet I wouldn't get that $2,000 either! gently caress!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Cabbit posted:

Due to my status as an unemployed millennial forced to live with their parents by necessity and who has allowed themself to be claimed as a dependent to ease the financial burden I'm placing on them, I'm not getting anything! I bet I wouldn't get that $2,000 either! gently caress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erl9k01C2M

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Cabbit posted:

No the new bill has a provision to cover people like us who fell through the cracks. $2,000 to adults over 16, even if they've been claimed as a dependent.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
‘We’re beyond angered’: Fed-up nurses file lawsuits, plan protest at White House over lack of coronavirus protections
msn.com/11 hrs ago
'Brown-Richardson is one of more than a dozen nurses in New York, the epicenter of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak, who detailed their experiences on the front lines in affidavits corroborating three lawsuits filed Monday against the state health department and two area hospitals. The complaints, which were lodged by New York’s largest nurses union, allege that inadequate protective equipment, among other failures, contributed to “compromising the health and safety of the nurses,” according to a news release from the union.

“These lawsuits were filed to protect our nurses, our patients and our communities from grossly inadequate and negligent protections,” Pat Kane, executive director of the New York State Nurses Association, said in the release. “We cannot allow these dangerous practices to continue.”'

The Quiet Hand of Conservative Groups in the Anti-Lockdown Protests
nytimes.com/April 21, 2020 Updated 9:40 p.m. ET

By Kenneth P. Vogel, Jim Rutenberg and Lisa Lerer

'WASHINGTON — An informal coalition of influential conservative leaders and groups, some with close connections to the White House, has been quietly working to nurture protests and apply political and legal pressure to overturn state and local orders intended to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

The groups have tapped their networks to drive up turnout at recent rallies in state capitals, dispatched their lawyers to file lawsuits, and paid for polling and research to undercut the arguments behind restrictions that have closed businesses and limited the movement of most Americans.

Among those fighting the orders are FreedomWorks and Tea Party Patriots, which played pivotal roles in the beginning of Tea Party protests starting more than a decade ago. Also involved are a law firm led partly by former Trump White House officials, a network of state-based conservative policy groups, and an ad hoc coalition of conservative leaders known as Save Our Country that has advised the White House on strategies for a tiered reopening of the economy.

The effort picked up some influential support on Tuesday, when Attorney General William P. Barr expressed concerns about state-level restrictions potentially infringing on constitutional rights, and suggested that, if that occurred, the Justice Department might weigh in, including by supporting legal challenges by others. Separately, in Wisconsin, Republicans in the state legislature sued to block the Democratic governor’s order extending stay-at-home rules through May 26."
'Those helping orchestrate the fight against restrictions predict the effort could energize the right in the same way the Tea Party movement did in 2009 and 2010, and potentially be helpful to President Trump as he campaigns for re-election. But the cause has yet to demonstrate that kind of traction.

Polls show a majority of Americans are more concerned about reopening the country too quickly than they are about the damage to the economy. And coronavirus protests have drawn smaller crowds ranging from a few dozen to several thousand at a rally in Michigan last week.

Conditions are hardly ideal for a protest movement related to the virus. In addition to the health risks, demonstrators potentially face legal exposure for violating the very measures they are protesting. Plus, some key Republican leaders have embraced the types of restrictions being targeted, while powerful grass-roots mobilizing groups, including those spearheaded by the billionaire activist Charles Koch, have so far not embraced the protests.

Still, the fight has emerged as a galvanizing cause for a vocal element of Mr. Trump’s base and others on the political right. Organizers see it as unifying social conservatives, who view the orders as targeting religious groups; fiscal conservatives who chafe at the economic devastation wrought by the restrictions on businesses; and civil libertarians who contend that the restrictions infringe on constitutional rights.

“Groups are united in purpose on this,” said Noah Wall, advocacy director for FreedomWorks, which in 2009 organized a Tea Party protest that drew tens of thousands of people or more to Washington. He described the current efforts as appealing to a “much broader” group. “This is about people who want to get back to work and leave their homes,” he said.

More than 10 protests are planned for this week, Mr. Wall said, adding that elected officials “are going to see a lot of angry activists, and I think that could change minds.”

The protests mostly appear to have been organized by local residents, and are framed primarily as pushback against what they view as government overreach. But some rallies have prominently featured iconography boosting Mr. Trump and Republicans and denouncing Democrats, as well the occasional Confederate flag and signs promoting conspiracy theories.

As was the case with the Tea Party movement, established national groups that generally align with the Republican Party have sought to fuel the protests, harnessing their energy in a manner that can increase their profiles and build their membership base and donor rolls.

Nonprofit groups including FreedomWorks and Tea Party Patriots have used their social media accounts and text and email lists to spread the word about protests across the country.

Most of FreedomWorks’s 40 employees are working remotely on the effort, helping to connect local protesters and set up websites for them. The group is considering paid digital advertising to further increase turnout, and has been conducting weekly tracking polls in swing suburban districts that it says show support for reopening parts of country. It is sharing the data with advisers on the president’s economic task force and other conservative allies on Capitol Hill.

While social media has been a key platform for organizing the protests, those efforts have drawn scrutiny. Facebook removed some posts devoted to the protests on Monday for encouraging violations of social distancing laws. And similarities in online organizing efforts behind different protests have sparked accusations that they are not, in fact, organic grass-roots campaigns, but “astroturfing” efforts that are manipulated by Washington conservatives to appear locally driven.

Organizers of recent protests in Oklahoma acknowledged that FreedomWorks helped arrange the events and said they hoped the “rolling protests,” which were intended to keep people in their vehicles, helped Mr. Trump politically. But they stressed that the events reflected real concerns from real people about the economic damage inflicted by mitigation measures.

Carol Hefner, an Oklahoma co-chair of Mr. Trump’s 2016 campaign who helped organize a protest last week in Oklahoma City, cited the state’s flat terrain as a factor in any decision to ease restrictions. “We have a lot of wind and the wind has pretty much helped us here,” she said. “We are in a much better position than many of the other states to go ahead and open back up.”

Ronda Vuillemont-Smith, an Oklahoma HVAC contractor who helped with the capital rally and another one on Monday in Tulsa, said she encouraged protesters to remain in their vehicles. But Ms. Vuillemont-Smith, who serves on FreedomWorks’s activist advisory council, added, “I see absolutely no risks whatsoever” for open-air protests. “We are adults. We assume personal responsibility for the decisions that we make,” she said.

The Oklahoma organizers and Mr. Wall, as well as the White House and the Trump campaign, said there was no coordination between the protests and Mr. Trump’s team.

But the protests coincide with messages from Mr. Trump, and have been helped and organized by his supporters, some of whom have begun new ventures to advance the cause.

One of them is Reopen America Political Action Committee, which aims to bring small business owners to Washington to lobby lawmakers to reopen, starting with a 24-hour rally at the White House on May 1 — the target Mr. Trump set for reopening.

The group, which was created this month, has yet to report any financial activity. But its founder, Suzzanne Monk, who is active on Twitter with the handle @Trumpertarian, called the idea for the rally “pushback against these governors who want to stay shut down far beyond their economic capacity to do so.”

Support for the protests features more direct ties to the White House than simply support for Mr. Trump. The administration recently formed an advisory group for reopening the economy that included Stephen Moore, the conservative economics commentator. Mr. Moore had been coordinating with FreedomWorks, the Tea Party Patriots and the American Legislative Exchange Council in a coalition called “Save Our Country,” which was formed to push for a quicker easing of restrictions.

At the same time, Mr. Moore was communicating with a group of local activists in Wisconsin involved in organizing a protest at the State Capitol set for Friday. On a conservative YouTube program that went online the day Mr. Trump named him to the task force, Mr. Moore said he had “one big donor in Wisconsin” who had pledged financial support for the protesters, telling him, “‘Steve, I promise, I will pay the bail and legal fees of anyone who gets arrested.’”

In an interview with The New York Times, Mr. Moore declined to identify the donor, but said, “I do think you’re going to see these start to erupt.”

He said he would probably turn down an invitation to speak at the protest in Wisconsin, because “it’s important that no one be under the impression that it’s sponsored or directed by national groups in Washington.”

A legal offensive against the restrictions is also being waged by groups and individuals supportive of Mr. Trump.

Mr. Barr’s comments on Tuesday came a few days after a letter sent by groups including FreedomWorks, Tea Party Patriots and the anti-abortion-rights group Susan B. Anthony List urging the Justice Department to consider intervening to block restrictions that the officials said were unconstitutional infringements on civil liberties.

Lawyers aligned with socially conservative causes have filed their own lawsuits against governors.

Many are focused on allowing smaller churches to keep holding services, but the objections cover a range of other activities. In Michigan, a lawsuit is challenging provisions of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s executive order banning travel to vacation homes and gatherings of non-household members.

A law firm that advises the Trump Organization, Michael Best & Friedrich, is representing members of a new protest group in North Carolina called ReOpenNC. Michael Best’s ranks include the former Trump chief of staff Reince Priebus, the former deputy White House counsel Stefan C. Passantino and the current senior counsel at the Trump campaign, Justin Clark.

ReOpenNC had told its members that a “generous donor” had arranged to pay for buses to bring protesters to Raleigh from around the state. But, in a sign of how loath the groups are to be viewed as “astroturf” creations, the group said it had scrapped the plan when a news station, WRAL, asked about it. (Afterward, a former defense contractor and perennial North Carolina political candidate, Tim D’Annunzio, stepped forward on Facebook to say he was the donor and was still hoping to run the buses.)

On Friday, Anthony J. Biller, a Raleigh-based lawyer with Michael Best, wrote to Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, on behalf of a ReOpenNC co-founder, Kristen Elizabeth, and a member who was arrested at a protest last week, seeking dismissal of the charges. In an interview, Mr. Biller said he hoped the state would agree to allow ReOpenNC to demonstrate safely without fear of arrest, adding, “What is sufficient safety to buy toilet paper at Costco should be sufficient safety to practice one’s fundamental rights, particularly about these issues.”

He said that he was working pro bono but that there was “no coordination with the Trump administration, as some bozos have implied.”

One force in conservative politics that has kept its distance from the stay-at-home protests is the network of groups backed by the billionaire Mr. Koch. The largest Koch-backed group, Americans for Prosperity, which played a leading role in facilitating the Tea Party movement, has remained on the sidelines of the coronavirus protests.

GoDaddy records show that a public relations firm tied to the Koch network, In Pursuit Of LLC, registered the domain name “reopenmississippi.com.” An official said the group had planned to use the site to highlight a nuanced approach being developed by the network to reopen the economy while balancing health concerns.

“The question is — what is the best way to get people back to work?” said Emily Seidel, the chief executive of Americans for Prosperity. “We don’t see protests as the best way to do that,” she said, adding that “the choice between full shutdown and immediately opening everything is a false choice.”

Reid J. Epstein contributed reporting.

[Oops, my thumb may have twitched and hit "V" instead of "ESC".]

Nurses read names of colleagues who died of COVID-19 in protest outside White House
usatoday.com/Apr. 21, 2020

"A group of registered nurses gathered outside the White House on Tuesday in honor of nurses who have died of COVID-19 and to demand mass production of personal protective equipment."

Google search: "nurses protest"

[Wait for it.]

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 22, 2020

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

What am I missing here?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump Puts For-Profit Insurer in Charge of COVID-19 Hospital Funds
truthout.org/April 22, 2020
"Watchdog groups and healthcare advocates are raising serious concerns about conflicts of interest and corporate profiteering after the Trump White House tapped UnitedHealth Group — the largest private health insurer in the U.S. — to help distribute billions of dollars in taxpayer funds to hospitals struggling to cope with the Covid-19 pandemic."

Ivanka Trump urges those protesting social distancing to practice social distancing while doing so
queerty.com/6 hours ago
"All around the country, people (read: Trump supporters) are staging anti-quarantine protests, crowding the streets in MAGA gear and demanding to reopen the economy, even as the death toll due to coronavirus continues to rise, with over 44,000 Americans succumbing to the virus as of yesterday.

Then this morning, first daughter Ivanka Trump took to Twitter to urge people who are protesting social distancing orders to please practice social distancing and wear a face mask while doing so."

McConnell taps brakes on next round of coronavirus aid as state, local governments plead for help
nbcnews.com/April 22, 2020
"State and local governments facing dire financial straits because of the pandemic will have to wait until at least May before Congress considers further relief, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has indicated."

[Aside: well before any individual state actually declares what may amount to "bankruptcy," the entire world and national economy will be already be well hosed, and that declaration will be, at best, only a ribbon cutting for the future.]

McConnell says no ‘blue state’ coronavirus bailouts, effectively telling New York to drop dead
nydailynews.com/Apr 22, 2020
"The iron-fisted Senate majority leader announced Wednesday that his Republican caucus won’t support federal bailouts for New York and other states under enormous economic pressure because of the coronavirus pandemic, drawing harsh backlash from Democrats."

[Nice to see the lovely rags coming to an understanding too.]

Why Is Harvard Getting $9 Million In Stimulus Money When It Has A $40 Billion Endowment?
forbes.com/Apr 21, 2020
"Harvard is under attack for the $9 million in stimulus money it’s getting from the federal government. “America’s Richest University Grabs Nearly $9 Million In Taxpayer Aid,” blasted a Huffington Post headline yesterday. On Comedy Central last night, Trevor Noah said Harvard was “just being greedy.” Donald Trump Jr. tweeted that Harvard was getting cash that should have gone to “a small business that actually needs the money.”

But according to a statement emailed late yesterday by spokesman Jason Newton, Harvard won’t use any of its $9 million stimulus check to make up for losses it has absorbed since it moved classes online in mid-March. “Harvard is actually allocating 100% of the funds to financial assistance for students to meet their urgent needs in the face of this pandemic,” says the statement.

How did Harvard decide to pass all the money to students, who made the call, and when? Was it in response to criticism? “I’m not going to get into when the decision was made,” says Newton. Harvard declined repeated requests to interview President Lawrence Bacow and other university officials. "

Director of key federal vaccine agency says his departure was retaliation
cnn.com/April 22, 2020
'The director of the office involved in developing a coronavirus vaccine says he was abruptly dismissed from his post in part because he resisted efforts to widen the availability of a coronavirus treatment pushed by President Donald Trump.

Dr. Rick Bright had led BARDA, the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, since 2016 until Tuesday, when was reassigned to a narrower position. He also announced he will file a whistleblower complaint with the Department of Health and Human Services' inspector general.

"I believe this transfer was in response to my insistence that the government invest the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the Covid-19 pandemic into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit," Bright said in a lengthy statement issued Wednesday. "I am speaking out because to combat this deadly virus, science -- not politics or cronyism -- has to lead the way."'

Special Report: Former Labradoodle breeder tapped to lead U.S. pandemic task force
reuters.com/April 22, 2020
"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - On January 21, the day the first U.S. case of coronavirus was reported, the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services appeared on Fox News to report the latest on the disease as it ravaged China. Alex Azar, a 52-year-old lawyer and former drug industry executive, assured Americans the U.S. government was prepared."
'“We developed a diagnostic test at the CDC, so we can confirm if somebody has this,” Azar said. “We will be spreading that diagnostic around the country so that we are able to do rapid testing on site.”

While coronavirus in Wuhan, China, was “potentially serious,” Azar assured viewers in America, it “was one for which we have a playbook.”

Azar’s initial comments misfired on two fronts. Like many U.S. officials, from President Donald Trump on down, he underestimated the pandemic’s severity. He also overestimated his agency’s preparedness.

As is now widely known, two agencies Azar oversaw as HHS secretary, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration, wouldn’t come up with viable tests for five and half weeks, even as other countries and the World Health Organization had already prepared their own.

Shortly after his televised comments, Azar tapped a trusted aide with minimal public health experience to lead the agency’s day-to-day response to COVID-19. The aide, Brian Harrison, had joined the department after running a dog-breeding business for six years. Five sources say some officials in the White House derisively called him “the dog breeder.”'

The Extremists And Grifters Behind Many Of The Anti-Lockdown Protests
huffpost.com/04/22/2020
"Many of the right-wing protests against state stay-at-home orders sweeping the nation have been organized or attended by white nationalists, conspiracy theorists, anti-government militias, members of a neo-fascist street gang, and other assorted extremists and scam artists, a HuffPost analysis shows."

Here are the largest public companies taking payroll loans meant for small businesses
cnbc.com/Apr 21 2020

Shocking percentage of Russians want to “eliminate” gay & lesbian people
lgbtqnation.com/April 22, 2020

Victory! Louisiana Sheriff’s Office Agrees to Pay $90,000 to Sheriff’s Deputy Candidate Denied Offer Due to His HIV Status
lambdalegal.org/April 21, 2020

Coronavirus at meatpacking plants worse than first thought, USA TODAY investigation finds
usatoday.com/6 hours ago
"Coronavirus closed Smithfield and JBS meatpacking plants. Many more are at risk. Operators may have to choose between worker health or meat in stores."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VikingofRock posted:

What am I missing here?

If the current poo poo in these United States doesn't change much soon, lots of healthcare providers may find it necessary and within their inalienable rights to walk the gently caress off their jobs, while protesting at large concurrently.

A "nurses protest" google search, which may be updated and looked into often, was provided.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Otteration posted:

If the current poo poo in these United States doesn't change much soon, lots of healthcare providers may find it necessary and within their inalienable rights to walk the gently caress off their jobs, while protesting at large concurrently.

A "nurses protest" google search, which may be updated and looked into often, was provided.

Ah, the "[wait for it]" made me think that there was a something weird at the bottom of the page, like maybe a "one of these articles is not like the others" sort of situation. Thanks for clarifying!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VikingofRock posted:

Ah, the "[wait for it]" made me think that there was a something weird at the bottom of the page, like maybe a "one of these articles is not like the others" sort of situation. Thanks for clarifying!

NP, sorry for the obscure reference.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
FEMA Diverted Masks From Veterans Hospitals, VA Official Says
talkingpointsmemo.com/April 25, 2020
"The Federal Emergency Management Agency diverted masks from veterans hospitals and into the government’s emergency stockpile, the executive in charge of the Department of Veterans Affairs claimed Saturday."

Miami goes seven weeks without a homicide for first time since 1957
cbsnews.com/April 24, 2020
"Crime rates in cities nationwide have dropped as stay-at-home orders keep people indoors in an effort to fight the coronavirus pandemic. In Miami, Florida, there were no homicides for seven weeks for the first time since 1957, according to the Miami Police Department."

Postal Union Slams Trump for Holding USPS Funds Hostage to Force “Draconian Cuts”
truthout.org/April 24, 2020
'The 200,000-member American Postal Workers Union accused President Donald Trump of plotting to “sacrifice our public Postal Service at the altar of private profit” after the Washington Post reported late Thursday that the White House is considering using a $10 billion relief loan approved by Congress last month to impose long-sought changes on the popular agency.'

[As someone said, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."]

Rich People Have Always Been Assholes During Plagues
jezebel.com/3/06/20
"When the first waves of plague swept medieval Europe, the disease killed both the rich and the poor indiscriminately. In July 1348, King Edward III of England’s 12-year-old daughter died on her way to Spain to marry King Pedro of Castile. And though he was still mourning, the king threw a giant tournament at Westminster in the fall, despite instructions from clergy and doctors that moderation and abstinence were the key to survival. Nearly 672 years later, rich people still want their travel and amusement even amid coronavirus fears, and in typical fashion, they’re doing everything they can to make sure sickness remains the province of the poor."

Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as the pandemic spreads
ft.com/ an hour ago
"The human cost of the coronavirus outbreak has continued to mount, with more than 2.85m cases confirmed globally and more than 188,200 people known to have died from the disease.

The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a pandemic and it has spread to more than 190 countries around the world.

This page provides an up-to-date visual narrative of the spread of Covid-19 so please check back regularly because we will be refreshing it with new graphics and features as the story evolves."

[The US continues to dominate the medal count.]

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Otteration posted:

FEMA Diverted Masks From Veterans Hospitals, VA Official Says
talkingpointsmemo.com/April 25, 2020
"The Federal Emergency Management Agency diverted masks from veterans hospitals and into the government’s emergency stockpile, the executive in charge of the Department of Veterans Affairs claimed Saturday."

The only things I've heard about this emergency stockpile is every time federal agents take urgently needed supplies which are in the process of being used by hospitals and stash them away where no on can get to them.

And then Trump goes on TV saying he won't give anything out unless people are nice to him.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only things I've heard about this emergency stockpile is every time federal agents take urgently needed supplies which are in the process of being used by hospitals and stash them away where no on can get to them.

And then Trump goes on TV saying he won't give anything out unless people are nice to him.

https://old.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/g6lvi3/obama_still_no_coherent_national_coronavirus_plan/foapyuv/
+/- https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1245841458323771393

A friend sent me this. Links with articles insides.

Basically federal resources are being commercialized.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gee, I wonder who could ever possibly be profiting from such a grift.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

:wtc:

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
:piss:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

This is as horrifying as it is unsurprising.

Thanks for the link, there are some good resources there.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gone

Rando fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 27, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I don't think it's to where no one can get to them. Presumably they're being put on the market so they can be sold, confiscated, sold again, etc.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

geegee posted:

Hmm what'd I miss now? Anything more?

It was in response to a nurse's quote from
US for-profit healthcare sector cuts thousands of jobs as pandemic rages

quote:

The for-profit company that owns the hospital where Zeman worked decided to shut down the maternal delivery department at the end of March. It put Zeman and many others out of a job, and left patients with far fewer options.

“They say it’s not related to Covid-19, but it’s a huge disservice to the women of the east side of San Jose. Doing this during a pandemic is terrible,” said Zeman. “They said it wasn’t financially stable to keep the unit open, and so they’re closing. Our big concern is we’re a trauma center and there are no hospitals in this area that can take care of women and children’s services.”

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
As Amazon, Walmart, and Others Profit Amid Coronavirus Crisis, Their Essential Workers Plan Unprecedented Strike
theintercept.com/April 28 2020
'An unprecedented coalition of workers from some of America’s largest companies will strike on Friday. Workers from Amazon, Instacart, Whole Foods, Walmart, Target, and FedEx are slated to walk out on work, citing what they say is their employers’ record profits at the expense of workers’ health and safety during the coronavirus pandemic.

The employees will call out sick or walk off the job during their lunch break, according to a press release set to be published by organizers on Wednesday. In some locations, rank-and-file union members will join workers outside their warehouses and storefronts to support the demonstrations.

“We are acting in conjunction with workers at Amazon, Target, Instacart and other companies for International Worker’s Day to show solidarity with other essential workers in our struggle for better protections and benefits in the pandemic,” said Daniel Steinbrook, a Whole Foods employee and strike organizer.'

Amazon, Walmart, FedEx workers plan walkout on Friday: report
thehill.com/04/28/20
'Workers from corporations are planning a walkout Friday, including employees from Amazon, Walmart and FedEx.

The workers are seeking better health and safety standards as well as hazard pay while working during the coronavirus pandemic.

Former Amazon employee Christian Smalls, shared a flyer on Twitter last week that included other prominent company names participating in the demonstration on May 1, such as Instacart, Target and Whole Foods, according to a report from The Intercept.

"Protect all workers at all cost," Smalls tweeted, adding, "we are not expendable or replaceable enough is enough TAKE THE POWER BACK!"

The Friday demonstrations will also request protective and cleaning equipment and full disclosure on the number of infected cases in company facilities.

The protest would result in employees of the listed businesses calling in sick from work or stepping out during their lunch break. At the same time, some union members will reportedly join workers outside warehouses and storefronts in support of the strikes.

"We are acting in conjunction with workers at Amazon, Target, Instacart, and other companies for International Worker's Day [May 1] to show solidarity with other essential workers," said Daniel Steinbrook, a Whole Foods employee and strike organizer.

Smalls was fired by Amazon in March after organizing a walkout and has said he will take legal action against the company.

The company has said Smalls was fired not for organizing the walkout but for coming to work despite being told to quarantine himself after coming into contact with a worker who tested positive.

The strikes slated for Friday are one of many fronts led by union and nonunion workers amid the pandemic, as Instacart workers previously organized a strike in late March, along with several other demonstrations from Amazon and Whole Foods workers around the same time.'

Rent Strike Planned for May 1 as Pain of Coronavirus Deepens
wsj.com/April 27, 2020
"Most residents at 17 buildings near Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, N.Y., have committed to stop paying rent, organizers say"

With May rent looming, some Seattle tenants eye ‘rent strikes’ as coronavirus continues to upend lives
seattletimes.com/April 27, 2020
"As May rent deadlines approach, Seattle City Councilmember Kshama Sawant and some other activists have added their voices to nationwide calls urging tenants to use tactics like rent strikes to push landlords and the government to cancel rent payments and provide other help."

Illinois nursing home workers plan to strike May 8
rrstar.com/Apr 27, 2020
"Management at 40 facilities receive notice Monday

Workers at 40 nursing homes across Illinois plan to go on strike May 8, saying that owners of their facilities have ignored pleas for personal protective equipment, safety protocols and adequate hazard pay."

2 local nursing homes to go on strike
newschannel20.com/April 28th 2020
"SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WICS/WLDS) — Two central Illinois nursing homes plan to strike early next month.

Our media partners, WLDS Radio, reports that Aperion Care Facilities in Springfield and Jacksonville are set to strike on May 8 over wages and safety.

They will join 38 other facilities on the picket lines unless an agreement can be reached with management.

The workers in the union claim that nursing home management has put their lives and their residents lives at risk by refusing to provide requested PPE, enhance safety protocols, or provide appropriate hazard pay and base compensation. They also say owners won’t provide sufficient paid time off for coronavirus-related illness and refuse to increase staffing levels, refuse to protect workers’ healthcare coverage, and won’t be transparent about COVID-19 cases and risks at their facilities."

Defying Trump’s Order, Nebraska Meatpackers Strike – PA National Guard Replaces Striking Nurses – Richmond Threatens to Fire Striking Bus Drivers
paydayreport.com/April 28, 2020
'Folks,

Greetings from the Burgh. It’s not quite Payday yet, but we’re switching from our weekly newsletter format to daily strike updates.

Before, we’d see 2-3 strikes in a week; hence a weekly newsletter made sense. Now, we’re dealing with at least 2-3 strikes a day. So, Payday will publish regular, often daily afternoon round-ups of the strike and other major labor activity.

151 Strikes Across the U.S. since March 1st

Our strike tracker is now up to 151 strikes across the U.S. (Check it out here). You’ll see many of the strikes listed here and others.

Trump Orders Meatpacking Plants to Stay Open, but Workers Have Other Ideas

Earlier today, Trump announced that he intended to use the power of the federal government and the Defense Production Act to keep meat processing plants open throughout the United States.

The move comes as massive outbreaks with hundreds of workers have hit meatpacking plants throughout the U.S. As a result, scores of meatpacking plants have closed because of outbreaks.

Strikes and mass sickouts at a dozen meatpacking plants throughout the U.S. have led to the closure of additional plants.

It’s unclear how Trump intends to use the Defense Production Act to force meat packing processing workers back into the assembly line.

Organized labor immediately denounced the move.

“We only wish that this administration cared as much about the lives of working people as it does about meat, pork, and poultry products. When poultry plants shut down, it’s for deep cleaning and to save workers’ lives,” said Stuart Applebaum, president of Retail, Wholesale, and Department Store Union. “If the administration had developed meaningful safety requirements early on as they should have and still must do, this would not even have become an issue.”

In Defiance of Trump, Nebraska Meatpacker Walks Off the Job at Smithfield

The prospect of meat shortages, which increasingly seem likely according to experts as dozens of plants have been shut down by outbreaks or strikes, would be politically embarrassing to Trump.

Shortly after Trump announced his intention to issue his executive order, more than 50 meatpackers walked off the job after 48 co-workers tested positive for COVID-19 at Smithfield’s plant outside of Lincoln, Nebraska.

Over 100 Meatpackers Walk Off the Job in Minnesota

The Nebraska action follows a wildcat strike Monday night at Pilgrim’s Pride meatpacking plant in Cold Spring, Minn.

Workers remain frustrated that the company hasn’t done enough to inform them of co-workers testing positive for COVID-19.

With workers going on a strikeout fearing for their lives, it’s unclear how Trump will stop these workers from shutting down more plants.

(Check out the St. Cloud Times for more)

P.A. National Guard Called In to Replace Striking Nurse.

Trump and some governors may call in the National Guard to replace frontline workers.

After 19 patients died of COVID-19 at a nursing home in Northampton County, Penn., nurses went on strike to protest unsafe conditions.

Today, Democratic Governor Tom Wolfe sent the P.A. National Guard to man the facility, a threat that could be applied to other facilities where nurses are striking.

(For more check out the Morning Call)

Illinois SEIU Healthcare Threatens to Strike at 40 Nursing Homes on May 8th

In a sign of how widespread nurse strikes might become, SEIU Illinois Healthcare announced that they overwhelmingly passed a strike authorization vote to go on strike on May 8th.

“My co-workers and I have told our management that we need more PPE, and we need to know who has the virus in our facilities so we can help keep everyone safe, but they seem more focused on protecting their profits than protecting people,” said Francine Rico at Villa of Windsor Park in Chicago in a news release.

(For more, go to WBEZ)

Richmond Threatens to Fire Striking Bus Drivers

As employers are unable to stop the massive tide of strikes gripping the nation, more employers may attempt to discipline employees.

On Monday, more than half of all Great Richmond Transit Company (GRTC) bus drivers called-out sick to protest unsafe conditions.

In response, the head of the Greater Richmond Transit Company threatened to fire bus drivers who called in sick Tuesday. The union protested the move.

“Our union has had 32 members across the country die after contracting the virus, and hundreds have become infected. GRTC workers who are sick or have symptoms of COVID-19 should be able to stay home without being fired,” said ATU Local 1220 President Maurice Carter.

“GRTC’s wrongheaded decision to threaten to fire workers, who call in sick, is disgusting and endangers the communities that my co-workers and I proudly serve in these difficult times.”

The union has listed ten demands that they expect GRTC to meet.

As of late Tuesday afternoon, GRTC has yet to announce any firings of bus drivers.'

[Thought about streamlining the last link's text, but nope, the crawl through it is worth it.]

Tassazione sans fascismo:

All You Fascists Bound To Lose
youtube.com/Woody Guthrie

All You Fascists Bound To Lose
youtube.com/Billy Bragg

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ndC07C2qw

:itshappening:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

droll posted:

:itshappening:

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Nurses Say They Don't Want to Be Called Heroes During the Coronavirus Pandemic
teenvogue.com/April 28, 2020
'Every evening at 7 o'clock, cheers erupt from apartment buildings throughout New York City to applaud the health care workers combating COVID-19 at the global epicenter of the pandemic. But as political leaders in Washington commend their courage in the “war” against the coronavirus, some nurses consider the language of heroism and sacrifice a way of disguising how they’re being forced to work in risky conditions that could have been avoided. “I am being martyred against my will,” Jillian Primiano, an E.R. nurse in Brooklyn, wrote on her protest sign for a demonstration in Harlem earlier in the month. Health care workers across the country carried out a National Healthcare Day of Action on April 15 to decry the unsafe working conditions they are enduring in the eye of the pandemic, declaring #TheSystemIsBroken.'

After members test positive, Iowa firefighters union calls on Gov. Reynolds to guarantee COVID-19 protections, no matter where they serve
desmoinesregister.com/April 30, 2020
"The Iowa Professional Fire Fighters union is calling on Gov. Kim Reynolds to issue guidance requiring cities to cover medical costs for emergency first responders who contract the coronavirus.

"We obviously are required to respond in emergencies and interact with people," union president Doug Neys told the Des Moines Register. "And even with all the precautions that we can take, our duties put us in a position where we're at higher risk."

The union represents more than 1,500 firefighters and emergency service providers across Iowa. Neys, who is a firefighter in Ames, said about 50 of the union's members have been tested for COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus. Of those, four tested positive."

Study Finds Unions Make Companies More Productive
vice.com/Apr 29 2020
"Most companies are anti-union for bad reasons: they argue that unions are actually anti-worker, corrupt, and put unnecessary barriers between workers and management. The argument you have likely heard the most if you’ve ever worked in an anti-union company (like Amazon or Walmart) is that unions actually hurt productivity and wages. That’s actually the opposite of what a recently published study found."

Coronavirus Has Caused More Than 150 Strikes. This Map Is Tracking Them All
vice.com/Apr 29 2020
"The pandemic has placed underpaid workers in untenable positions, and they're trying to fight back."
'In late March, workers at multiple call centers in Wisconsin had had enough. The company they worked for, CapTel, provides text captions for hearing impaired people during phone calls, and amid the pandemic there was more work than ever—but management was refusing to consider employee demands for additional pay, instead increasing their workload but not their paychecks. So several dozen workers called out as a way of putting pressure on their bosses, and subsequently won a paid break, an "appreciation bonus" of $300, and a $2 "emergency pay" wage increase.

That labor action, small as it was, didn't get much media attention. But it was written up in the labor platform Organizing Work and subsequently got put on the COVID-19 Strike Wave Interactive Map, a project from the reader-supported labor news website Payday Report. Launched last month, the map's goal is to document the storm of labor actions, including sickouts, wildcat strikes, and refusals by employees to potentially risk their lives for low pay.

"When these strikes started happening, I had this problem of writing these stories and saying, 'Oh there's all these strikes happening.' How many strikes? It'd be good to put a number on it," said Mike Elk, the longtime labor reporter who founded Payday Report. "So we have put a number on it. We've said there've been over 150 strikes. And we think that's a severe underestimation given how little reporting there is in so many places."'

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Otteration posted:

Study Finds Unions Make Companies More Productive
vice.com/Apr 29 2020
"Most companies are anti-union for bad reasons: they argue that unions are actually anti-worker, corrupt, and put unnecessary barriers between workers and management. The argument you have likely heard the most if you’ve ever worked in an anti-union company (like Amazon or Walmart) is that unions actually hurt productivity and wages. That’s actually the opposite of what a recently published study found."

It is a fact demonstrated by numerous studies that employees who have worked for a firm longer, generate that firm more money. Every manager that doesn’t care... and doesn’t retain the people that for him or her, is actively harming the firm they work for.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Public asked to 'tip your mask' when entering stores to shop
wandtv.com/news/Apr 29, 2020
"The "Tip Your Mask" initiative is a coordinated effort involving multiple Illinois police departments. With store owners concerned about people hiding their faces and potential crimes being committed, people are asked to slightly lower their mask and briefly show their faces when they enter a store to let employees know they are simply there to shop."

Georgia virus deaths top 500; mask law targeting Klan waived
apnews.com/April 14, 2020
"With the federal Centers for Disease Control now encouraging Americans to wear masks that cover the mouth and nose in public, Kemp signed an order Monday that says the anti-mask law can’t be enforced against people covering their faces as protection against the virus."

“I have a terrific headache.”
apnews.com/April 12, 1945
'According to reports, Roosevelt took ill shortly after 1 p.m. at his desk in his study. While placing his hand on the back of his head, he said his final words to his cousin, Laura Delano: “I have a terrific headache.”'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump Broke Federal Law by Giving an Interview Inside the Lincoln Memorial
thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/May 4, 2020
"It’s called 36 CFR § 7.96, and it’s the federal law that governs how federal monuments in the District of Columbia can be used. President Donald Trump broke that law when he granted Fox News an exclusive interview inside the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday.

By law there is one event and one event only that can be held anywhere above the steps of the Lincoln Memorial: the annual Lincoln’s birthday commemoration.

President Donald Trump was granted an “exception” to the law by his Secretary of the Interior, although it’s unclear if the Secretary has the power to do so. But it did allow 4 million people across the country watch Trump serve up an evening of highly-partisan attacks and grievances months before Election Day.

“Citing the ‘extraordinary crisis’ of the coronavirus, the interior secretary relaxed the rules so the president could hold a Fox News interview in one of the nation’s most hallowed spaces,” The New York Times reports, calling it “one of Mr. Trump’s preferred places to add a prime-time touch of drama to his presidency.”

That federal law is extensive. It even covers parking, and the operation of “any taxicab or hack” within the National Capital Region.

“Demonstrations and special events are not allowed in the following other park areas,” the law reads. Under that “not allowed” section it specifically mentions the Lincoln Memorial, “which means that portion of the park area which is on the same level or above the base of the large marble columns surrounding the structure, and the single series of marble stairs immediately adjacent to and below that level, except for the official annual commemorative Lincoln birthday ceremony.”

The Times adds that “on Sunday, when the president sat down with two Fox News anchors at Lincoln’s marbled feet during a coronavirus-focused virtual ‘town hall,’ it was because a directive issued by David Bernhardt, the secretary of the interior, had allowed them to do so.”

Bernhardt is “a former oil lobbyist whose Senate nomination was contested by Democrats who pointed to multiple accusations of conflicts of interest and ethical violations, ordered the memorial temporarily closed for the event, citing the coronavirus.”

“Given the extraordinary crisis that the American people have endured, and the need for the president to exercise a core governmental function to address the nation about an ongoing public-health crisis,” Mr. Bernhardt wrote in an order issued Friday, “I am exercising my authority to facilitate the opportunity for the president to conduct this address within the Lincoln Memorial.”

President Trump used that “extraordinary crisis” to deliver an attack on the nation’s free press, insisting he’s been treated “worse than Lincoln,” who was tragically assassinated"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ha! Let's see him wriggle out of this bind!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Otteration posted:

Public asked to 'tip your mask' when entering stores to shop
wandtv.com/news/Apr 29, 2020
"The "Tip Your Mask" initiative is a coordinated effort involving multiple Illinois police departments. With store owners concerned about people hiding their faces and potential crimes being committed, people are asked to slightly lower their mask and briefly show their faces when they enter a store to let employees know they are simply there to shop."

Thieves/murderers can't tip their masks because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

droll posted:

Thieves/murderers can't tip their masks because

Because they don't want to expose their neighbors to potential infections.