Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

We should fund NASA properly so they can do climate monitoring and all of that sort of thing AND manned spaceflight/deep space exploration. It shouldn't be a binary choice between the two.

I've never understood the argument that we have problems on earth, therefore we can't explore space. It's like some people think the entire nation can only do one thing at a time, or that people are only dying of preventable illness due to resource scarcity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's both. Media is both a driver of culture and driven by it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

... They would, frankly, be lucky to hit a totally stationary target

This depends heavily on your definition of "hit." If the target is a building the projectile doesn't exactly need to hit the doorbell, given that the resulting impact is equivalent to a couple kilotons of TNT.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:crossarms:
https://twitter.com/PeterWelch/status/1087829080316301313

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MickeyFinn posted:

I don't have anything to say about your other statements, but the bolded bit isn't right. The so-called big journals have just as much politics and playing the refs as other journals, if not more so. The only thing publication in Science or Nature tells me is either that someone thinks the result will drive readership/pageviews/impact factor or that a highly connected person is on the author list, but says little about the underlying science.

Surely this is, uh, a bit melodramatic?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm sure some red state will be happy to take their place.

Or they go full bore into Virginia. NoVA could use more traffic.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kobayashi posted:

Meanwhile, poor children starve on the streets of our richest cities.

The only way this isn't a non sequitur is if those children are starving due to resource scarcity rather than economics and indifference. Otherwise we can feed the children and help the dogs.

But I think you know this and just want to start poo poo.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Part of what he says he has:

quote:

Copies of letters I wrote at Mr. Trump's direction that threatened his high school, colleges, and the College Board not to release his grades or SAT scores.

This is gonna be fun.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MickeyFinn posted:

I remember reading rumors that he wasn't a good student but he did well in the physical part of military academy. I'm also not sure his grades matter anymore, he's a moron and a terrible president on camera daily, who cares if he got a D in chemistry 60 years ago? I suppose you mean during the races, but we see now why they didn't get out.

My hope is that he flunked a business class and I can literally laugh my rear end off.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Relentless posted:

I'm sure a lot of the time there's not a single minority in the room where these are being developed, so it just doesn't dawn upon them.

Do you work in software development? Because I've never seen a coastal dev team with more than like six people that didn't have an Indian person on it.

Indian isn't black, so the point stands, but tech companies making any effort to hire actual talent tend to end up at least a little multi ethnic.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I kinda feel its hubritic if thats a word to assume we can solve a problem it took evolution hundreds of millions of years to do in the next 10 years

And yet airplanes can fly.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Peacoffee posted:

So long as you have the petro-chemicals formed over that time to blow on its brief state of being airborne.

Probably why evolution hasn’t equipped our planet with very many specie of whale-hawks.

Imagine a quetzalcoatlus making GBS threads on your car.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And the amazing thing about all those unaccompanied minor is how many came to the border with people who said they were their parents yet were separated anyway by ICE.

I'm having trouble finding numbers. Does anyone have an estimate for how common this was? People are saying this like it was common enough to be basically equivalent to doing it on purpose, or possibly implying it was on purpose.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

steinrokkan posted:

It's ok to lock up kids as long as you only take a tiny sip

There are more possibilities than "bad" and "totally fine." There's also "really bad" and "even worse." Like how killing a person through negligence is bad, but killing a man on purpose is worse.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Taerkar posted:

I want to say that they were claiming the parents were unrelated if they didn't have any documentation proving the kid(s) was theirs. Of course what the appropriate documentation was was up to the border official soooo....

I bet skin color differences were used as one of the determinants.

But only certain combinations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MA-Horus posted:

Except for the fact that multiple pilots have reported that it has pitch control issues at low speed and the stall-avoidance software has issues?

That's loving serious.

Even if it's pilot fuckups or not understanding the system that suggests a problem with training and/or the design of the controls. Multiple pilots shouldn't make the same mistake while also being unable to figure out what happened.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FoolyCharged posted:

Remind me to never get raped

Don't get raped!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jethro posted:

So, they added a new computer control system without telling anyone and charged extra for the bit that could tell the pilots when that system might go haywire
https://twitter.com/JGulner/status/1106362592606457856

I checked the aviation thread, and the actual pilots there seem to think an AOA indicator is pretty much useless clutter. Or rather it should be. They think having a manual check for the one sensor driving a system that can't be disabled without entirely disabling electronic trim control is fixing the wrong end of the problem. It either needs to be fault tolerant or the MCAS should be easier to override, eg automatically turning off if the pilot gives commands opposite of what it's trying to do. Which is exactly what the previous version of the 737 did.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 15, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Flesh Forge posted:

There is simply zero chance that the full text of the report isn't going to leak within a couple of weeks, this is the admin of "Mar-a-Lago guests take a selfie with nuclear football guy"

Meanwhile, the administration will lie about its contents and every time certain people will commence additional victory laps. Christ, I want this to be over with.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

saintonan posted:

No method of birth control is 100% reliable.

Abortion is still illegal, and the pill plus condoms is effective enough you could go years without so much as a scare.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Telsa Cola posted:

Pretty sure they can still leak it.

I expect a heavily edited release, denial of edits, conclusive proof of edits, partial unedited release, leak of the whole thing, official denial that the leak is real, conflicting evidence that it's real, then confirmation it's real three days before the next election.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ornedan posted:

Baronash: I want these good things to happen, but fear that Democrats are just pretending like the often do
Fox: we oppose all those good things
you: both sides are the same

Where did you get this???

LordSloth posted:

https://twitter.com/newsminer/status/1116816277937455104?s=21

Here’s one Republican managing to have the correct reaction to an incident.

And no, it’s not THAT North Pole.

The article says the boys were protesting a trans student using the bathroom matching their gender, but regardless of whether that's actually true the girl in the incident is totally uninvolved with that. That school's admins are morons.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 14, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

quote:

Pelosi says she talked with Sergeant-at-Arms about Omar's safety following Trump tweet

Source: CNN

I try to post some thoughts on commentary rather than just dropping links but I'm kind of at a loss for words at how hosed it is that the loving president basically called a sitting representative kin of terrorists.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mobby_6kl posted:

... saying that it overruled the people when the results didn't match the popular vote doesn't really make sense. The candidates campaigned and the voters voted with the understanding of the system as it is, if the popular vote counted, there's no way Trump would've gotten the same 62.9m votes and Hillary 65.8m votes. She might've won but nobody knows what "the people" wanted, at least not based on these numbers.

"Within our limited ability to reason about an alternate universe with a different Constitution where events played out differently, it seems that the EC overruled the people."

Ok, so we don't know exactly how things would have played out. Why does this specific situation demand metaphysical certainty? Who even gives a poo poo?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mauser posted:

Can someone buy Zuckerberg an adult outfit already?

Oh no, sneakers, jeans, and a sweater. How uncouth.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FoolyCharged posted:

Perhaps they should have put that time and effort into teaching kids how to spell. Unless the dude knew he'd make the news and wanted them to tell the world how "sic" he was.

Oh my god, it literally calls them Nigers.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Data Graham posted:

Course it also means your army is 100% staffed with bloodthirsty chuds, but y’know

“Motivated”, potayto potahto

The officer corps is full of chuds. Enlisted personnel are a cross section of working and middle class America for reasons I'd have thought would be obvious.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kaal posted:

Yeah pretty much. There hasn't been a good way developed for workers to work on the lines when they could potentially be getting powered from distributed sources. Ideally there'd be a system set up that would allow a house to isolate itself from the network at will (and capable of signalling that to the network operators), but right now there's definite safety complaints about lines getting charged without warning.

I'm not an electrician or engineer, but can't you basically just build a circuit breaker in reverse? Instead of a current spike magnetically pulling a switch open, have the expected current keep the switch closed. If the current is lost, it self isolates. What am I missing?

Edit: Google autocorrect inserted magically in place of magnetically. loving magnets: how do they work?!

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 12, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Whoa, I stand corrected. That's grotesque.

It shows how little I understand some people's motivation, I really can't put myself in their shoes. Voting Republican in the general when you cared enough to vote in the Democratic primary doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Voting in the primary doesn't necessarily mean they like any part of the Democratic platform. It may just be they saw the GOP primary as locked down and had a Dem candidate they wanted to vote against even though they planned to vote GOP in the general all along. I've done that the other direction in local elections when the Dem didn't have a primary opponent and one of the Republicans was markedly worse than the other.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LordSloth posted:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1140655199352213505?s=21

There’s nothing ominous about this, nothing at all.

From the replies:
https://twitter.com/JulieAnto1/status/1140676758892625922

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Typical Pubbie posted:

He had his hands up and was shot dead within seconds of dropping them. Maybe if the situation had been different and instead he was crawling on his hands and knees on the floor of a hotel hallway sobbing and begging for his life things would have been different?

He reached for his gun multiple times before they fired. A black dude would have gotten blasted after the first.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Christ I hate that emoticon.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain Invictus posted:

I double space because it's literally an unthinking reflex to double tap the space bar bashed into my head after years of computer classes in elementary school, but demanding that of others is such a shitheel thing to do

what a weirdo

Most forums actually strip out the second space when you hit post. It's been like that for a good ten years.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Xiahou Dun posted:

^^^lol

.... But I also never encountered that word until a couple of months ago and now hear it god drat everywhere...

Same. And while I'd obviously heard "bootlicker" before, a few months ago I started coming across it literally every day. I figure people's working vocabulary--the words among those they know that they're actually inclined to use--is driven in large part my what they hear. It makes sense that changes to working vocab can propagate memetically. The internet just makes it really sudden, erratic, and weird.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Helsing posted:

Remember that period of like 24 months when every political discussion on these forums revolved around what particular topographical feature you were willing to expire upon.

I only die on cwms. :dukedog:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HootTheOwl posted:

They already do.

This.

And it's not so much about ai as it is not wanting to maintain a bunch of data centers that periodically shut down or change leadership, causing havok in the brittle, cockeyed tower of babble of bespoke applications the DoD relies on for pretty much everything.

From the article:

quote:

Formally called the Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure plan, or JEDI,
:rolleye:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mycomancy posted:

Cool.

That means that she just needs to be stripped of 99% of her wealth instead of 99.9%.

No single person should ever have over $1m in assets. Ever.

Have you ever actually done the math on this? If you own a townhouse in an area like Northern Virginia and have a few decades worth of retirement savings from a middle class job, that can easily put you over a million. It's just they can't liquidate two thirds of it without ending up homeless.

VVV I've gotten spam advertising real estate in both Flint and Detroit. At the time I googled the listings out of curiosity, to see if they were real. There was an apartment building with several dozen units for thirty grand. "Drive by showings only."

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 19, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CNN says that police say his name was Santino William Legan, age 19, and used an AR15 style rifle fired seemingly at random.

Also, he (or someone posting under his name) apparently posted to Instagram about how his town is being overcrowded with "hordes of mestizos and silicon valley white twats"??? Same post referenced an anarchist anti Christian white supremacist book from the 1800s.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 29, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Non American here, have I got this right about the impeachment:

Back when he was vice president, Biden quashed an investigation into things his son was involved with in a shonky Ukrainian power company.

Ironically, Biden forced the lead investigator to resign under accusations of being soft on corruption.

Now, Trump accuses Biden of having done this to protect his kid and his own arse.

He demanded, in a phone call to the president, another investigation in those events and to get his way, had suspended aid to Ukraine.

And somehow it's this which has finally caused everyone to lose their poo poo and not the million other hosed up things he's done as president.

Biden didn't actually quash the investigation. What investigation there was (it was never targeted at his son) was over when the investigator was dismissed. The entire allegation is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Is Barr still out of the country? Is he ever coming back?