Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Helsing posted:

As I was saying over in US Pol the real problem with the Democratic party isn't how it campaigns, it is how it governs.

Can't Colorodo folks bombard them with phone calls that this ain't okay because it seems like we need to hold their feet to the fire or they'll never do anything good. Electing Democrats doesn't mean anything if they default to corporatism the second the take office. And unlike Republicans them being terrible corporate shills is not what they were elected to do so it just depresses turnout in the next election because they've downright proven that :matters:

e: This thread is cool and good and everything I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The calling of races on election night really needs to be moderated somehow, mainly because calls to violence over races called too soon are now a thing thanks to our ghoul of a President and his ghoul of a party. I don't know if our news organizations are capable of figuring that one out though. :(

Like sure, call races where "The total number of absentee ballots cannot exceed the current lead" but that's it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Scott trying to claim that they should do what he wants because the public has lost confidence in the election, which is solely due to his own negligent actions, is a farce and I'm really glad that judge laughed him out of the room.

Also holy poo poo if that email story is true. The site it links to is really janky though and I'd wait until someone more reliable runs the story to get outraged.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Um, since when does the First Lady get to randomly fire people in the White House staff...? The only reason I can think of for this happening is stupid reality TV show poo poo that I don't even want to say out loud.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So it's extremely important for the media to shine lights on all this poo poo, and the more attention it gets the less likely it is to actually happen if there's a good public backlash, but the fact that they're doing this at all after being given a mandate to govern for the people is going to depress any enthusiasm for voting for them in the future. I guess they've been getting away with it for so long that it hasn't mattered and personal enrichment is just better for corporate dems than good governance.

:suicide:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Speaking of monsters:

Remember that guy that fired his shotgun at a black teen who was asking for directions? He is going to jail!

quote:

Jeffrey Craig Zeigler, 53, apologized in court and had "full remorse and regret" over shooting at 14-year-old Brennan Walker, according to CNN affiliate WDIV.

"I wish I could change something. I can't go back in time," Zeigler said, the station reported.

Zeigler was sentenced to two to 10 years for assault with intent to do great bodily harm and two years for possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Saying the Democrats are "renting" the House over and over to cover his failure of a prediction is so laughable. Who could even believe that nonsense. :psyduck:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

eke out posted:

who knows what they actually answered but

if you look at what they are saying and telling media, they sure as gently caress are acting like they know they've been caught lying

They are. I feel like I must be imagining it because they've reacted badly to things before but something seems weird and different about this time. Trump is acting like he got his hand caught in the cookie jar and it's creepy.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Can't the new state leg's just overturn all the poo poo that the old ones pass in the lame duck anyways? :raise:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Oh, that sucks. :(

re: North Carolina voting fraud- our republican state reps tried to amend the state constitution to hobble the voting fairness commission that is currently looking into the mess. Right now it's a 4/4 dem/repub split +1 independent. The ballot proposal was to eliminate the independent (making it an 8 seat instead of a 9 seat panel) so it could just go into a partisan deadlock every time and accomplish nothing.

Thankfully that got voted down.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Nothing's going to happen. Like if you read the article they literally committed crimes in plain sight because no one was going to prosecute them for it. There was no sloppiness and no coverup. Just blatant crimes with no repercussions.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Anyone who did try to help Trump by suggesting he get out now would be immediately put on the "threat" list and sent to the proverbial guillotine.

I feel like Zinke getting the gently caress out is a net good for America but I hope it's not a monkey's paw situation. :sigh:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

What's finCEN? Obviously it's to do with Treasury but I've never heard of it before.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

RT's only value is the same as Fox's value, "What is currently being shopped around in the crazyverse so we can tell when it leaks into the real news." Because like the contra-guy said, it DOES leak. And knowing what the propaganda of the week is means you can spot it when it does.

I would never take any news story from RT seriously as a news article.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

AOC on team Abolish Ice I see. :swoon:

She sounded fine on the audio only I listened to, it's kind of a shame she has to babysit her notes so that the right wing pus machine doesn't latch onto one off-figure in an entire interview of them.

e: gently caress this is the wrong thread and I can't find any news. I'm sorry. :(

mistaya fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 9, 2019

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Tim Horton(s) can't run for President, he's Canadian! :canada:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

glowing-fish posted:

The Turpins have plead guilty to a host of crimes, and will be sentenced to Life in Prison (but with the possibility of parole).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/house-horrors-case-turpin-parents-accused-beating-starving-children-plead-n974651

This is one of those cases that seems like it might be tabloid fodder, more than a serious news story ready for debate and discussion, but I think it is significant in that it is about serious issues like how the criminal justice system is treating domestic violence and (possibly sexual abuse). I can't really think of anything too insightful to say on the Turpin case, does anyone have any thoughts?

Good.

So what happens to the kids? I mean, several of them are actually adults but they've been kept in such horrible conditions for so long that it's a bit questionable if they're capable of functioning in society, let alone taking care of their younger siblings, without a lot of therapy/assistance. I hope that they get the help they need. That was such a terrible story when it broke.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Cat article is paywalled, I demand justice. :catstare: (If it's just clickbait I don't really care but I was curious what "science" they were using to determine what everyone already knows.)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Disney lady had a pretty interesting interview on NPR recently where she said that Disney itself is pretty much the last "shameable" company because the product they are selling you is warm fuzzy childhood feelings and things that damage that reputation directly impact their sales margin. She also countered the interviewer's mention of her philanthropy with "I want to live in a society where philanthropy is unnecessary." and lots of calls to raise taxes on the rich. She's good and cool and unfortunately has 0 control over the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

While it's undeniably a good thing that she got convicted, I'd like to see one of the white male chud cops get convicted of something, ever. It's always the tokens who get fed to the wolves as a peace offering.