Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

this is a really good article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

evilweasel posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that bullshit right wing talking point isn't actually working; people hate the tax cuts. Where I'm sort of wavering is if PayGo is helpful in some respects in raising taxes on the rich. By expressly linking those raised taxes on the rich to social programs, do you make it easier to raise taxes on the rich and squash opposition to those tax hikes, or is it better to just have tax hikes on the rich for the purpose of paying down the deficit/everyone pays their fair share/etc? I'm leaning towards the former because people need to realize (and they're starting to) that tax cuts are not free - they take away the social programs you like and the important government spending you approve of. Why should the rich and corporations pay more in taxes? Well, either because we need to decrease the deficit, or because we need to spend money on important things. Or both. But I think that "spending money on important things" is better messaging for Democrats, because just focusing on the deficit isn't gonna get people nearly as enthused about tax hikes.

i'm always wary of trying to co-opt a right wing talking point because the right has a way more unified and bigger propaganda network, and are also better at just pushing talking points to begin with (remember that "fake news" was originally a dem creation). even if it was possible to do, the current democratic party is just not capable of it and will only undermine themselves by trying.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

evilweasel posted:

I think you need a justification to raise taxes, and the best two I see are that that they are needed to "pay for" something, or that they're needed to reduce the deficit/pay down the debt. I think it's necessary to raise taxes on the rich and on corporations, I think the better political message is the former, so I generally agree with it. I also think it's important to link taxes to what you pay for with those taxes, precisely to fight back against Republican efforts to claim tax cuts are free money - people need to understand that when Republicans say "cut taxes" they also mean "and cut spending later" even though they try to hide that fact.

I do not have a political problem with separating the tax hikes from the spending if that's the more effective way to do it. But I think those tax hikes are necessary and fighting against Republican efforts to portray tax cuts as free money with no costs at all is necessary; both for the long-term financial health of the country and for the long-term protection of spending programs from the "starve the beast" strategy. This has been effective even in red states, where there's been a revolt against republicans slashing spending to finance tax cuts and led to revolts that forced republicans to vote for tax hikes.

So I'm open to arguments about how it's more effective to separate the two. But I think people underestimate the value of linking popular spending and tax hikes, and are somewhat buying into republican framing when they say it's a bad idea.

i don't have any problem with rhetorically linking tax raises to increases in social spending, that's all well and good. what i do oppose is implementing something like PAYGO because that needlessly ties your hands as a legislator. there's no benefit to doing that and it's just the party letting themselves be spooked by republican talking points.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Madkal posted:

When Donald insulted a gold star family the veil was lifted and surprising absolutely no-one Republicans didn't care. They still shouted "support our troops you unpatriotic traitor" while their leader farted away. You would think Donald not giving a flying gently caress about World War I casualties would be a big deal for them but they only "care about the troops" insomuch as they can shout at other people about "not caring about the troops".

its been obvious from day 1. the idea that you can support the troops while also supporting 2 pointless wars based on lies has always been absurd.

also what happened with Max Cleland.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

is the questioning going to be in person? because i'm having trouble even imagining trump responding to a question with "i plead the fifth" as opposed to lying

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i can't loving believe he would turn the medal of freedom into a joke

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

predicto posted:

Umm. I can believe it.

whoosh

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

CIA....welcome to the #resistance

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

JasonV posted:

Trump is having it out with supreme court judges on Twitter. That can't be a great legal strategy.....

yeah it's funny, they're trying to keep the myth of the impartial court going and he just casually strides through and tears up the backdrop because he doesn't get that it would benefit him.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

don't hold your breath, there's no way the current democratic party is anywhere near bold enough to make big changes to the US-Saudi relationship, they're the cornerstone of current US middle east policy. the most believable part of this is that they're going to examine how stable the current house of saud is.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

MickeyFinn posted:

Wait, what? There are people who think a Saudi Arabia-Iran war won't involve the US? Am I reading this correctly?

they fight through proxy wars (like yemen) and the US supplies the saudis with weapons / probably other shady services, but doesn't send actual troops or bombers in large scale opposition to iran directly

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

RBG was 75 in 2008. that she didnt resign when dems controlled everything was just arrogance on her part. a 60 year old justice has the luxury of waiting around 10-15 years for the president and senate to flip to their party, a 75 year old should immediately jump when they have the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Data Graham posted:

My question is whether businesses are being actually socially conscious nowadays, i.e. pulling advertising from Fox News shows, taking stands that cause chuds to boycott them, etc; or whether it's all calculated and performative and aimed at shareholder profits in the end anyway

many companies are in fact responsive to PR concerns out of self interest in preserving public perception of their brand. for example papa johns after firing their racist founder is now running PR to try and rehabilitate their image. this is obviously insufficient however since a) it's mostly reactive b) the public eye can't be on everything every company does forever c) some companies don't give a poo poo since their business is evil to begin with