Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's encouraging. I really do hope that younger folks goaded into action by years of abuse and mismanagement stay engaged once Trump is out of office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

I had heard about Arnie's anti gerrymandering campaign but didn't realise it went beyond California. Independent redistricting seems like a very good idea, depending on how it's implemented of course.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1061815848258613248

He was a poo poo governor, but he still has a lot of popular caché and if he commits the rest of his public life to the termination of gerrymandering then I'm all for it.

knox_harrington posted:

Christ. Surely that can't be real. "I understand your house is on fire but you have to come in to work"

poo poo like this is totally real. Low-level managers have to beg, plead, and threaten to wrangle a full staff at even the best of times. If they can't, then they're the ones stuck working the unfilled shifts— often without the benefit of overtime, because they count as "management" and are paid a salary even if they work 60-hours in a week and take home less than the hourly employees would in the same time.

Yay capitalism!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 12, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stickman posted:

Since when? I'm guessing they're using different definitions of "money" and "power"...

Opportunity cost. It is generally accepted that entering politics as opposed to the private sector is less lucrative, but only by the standards of people who are already wealthy and privileged beyond the ken of us mere mortals.

When he says "money or power," what he means is "corpulently wealthy or powerful with only moderate wealth."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wow, that is vile. Workplace culture is such that anyone who doesn't take a gun is going to feel derided, and framing it as "team building" only makes that worse.

"Why do you have to be such a downer, Carol. Just take the murder-toy and come pop off a few rounds with the rest of us!"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The scorpion stung me?! How could I have ever seen this coming!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Madkal posted:

I'm actually kind of curious on what the guy was expecting. It wasn't like Trump was hiding who he was all these years.

He was expecting all the heat to fall on immigrants, minorities, and other poor people who aren't him. Aging white bigots very much banked on Daddy Trump riding in to save them from the scary brown people and restore (their idea) of the Amercian Dream. It consistently comes as a shock when they're forced to face the fact that he does not give one withered poo poo about them either.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 19, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

What's wrong with that turkey?

Nothing, those are perfectly healthy nodules!

quote:

Both sexes have blue heads with some orange or red nodules, which are more pronounced on males. The males also have a fleshy blue crown covered with nodules, similar to those on the neck, behind the snood. During breeding season this crown swells up and becomes brighter and more pronounced in its yellow-orange color. The eye is surrounded by a ring of bright red skin, which is most visible on males during breeding season.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stuff like this was always inevitable. The battle isn't over if human gene editing will happen, but how. Like, can we get a world where crippling hereditary illness is but memory without also going full dystopian eugenics? Probably not! But here's hoping.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh boy, now we can add (even more) sexual violence to our list of cultural exports.

gently caress today is depressing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So does Trump have any, like, actual lawyers working for him or is it all conmen and former lawyers currently suffering from brain-rot?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not even the first time that this happened, so... no.

Here's a video of a cop loving losing it during a drug bust and unloading on one of his undercover pals.

quote:

Are you okay?!?!

No?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Whoever writes his tweets isn't even trying tonight. Way too coherent, and I refuse to believe a guy with a persecution complex as big as Trump's has ever "happily lived his life."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kale posted:

It blows my mind that this guy crying about needing a safe space was once mayor of NYC and actually kind of respected at one point. He and Trump are two peas in a pod.

Even as mayor of NYC Giuliani was extremely poo poo. If it weren't for a bunch of glamor shots he stood for during 9/11 nobody would even know who he was, let alone care. Also, a big reminder: Giuliani was only out on the street because he insisted that his emergency command center be housed in WTC 7. When later called on this fact, he tried to blame the emergency services director he had appointed and who specifically recommended the headquarters be located somewhere safer.

Wikipedia posted:

In September 2006, Village Voice writer and long-time Giuliani critic Wayne Barrett and Dan Collins, a senior producer for CBSNews.com, published The Grand Illusion: The Untold Story of Rudy Giuliani and 9/11, one of the strongest reassessments of Giuliani's role in the events of 9/11. The book highlights his decision to locate the NYC Office of Emergency Management headquarters (long-identified as a target for a terrorist attack) on the 23rd floor inside the 7 World Trade Center building, a decision that had been criticized at the time in light of the previous terrorist attack against the World Trade Center in 1993.

The Office of Emergency Management was created to coordinate efforts between police and firefighters, but with the distraction of evacuating its headquarters, it was not able to conduct these efforts properly.

In May 2007, Giuliani put responsibility for selecting the location on Jerome M. Hauer, New York City’s first Director of Emergency Management who had been appointed by Giuliani himself and had served under Giuliani from 1996 to 2000. Hauer has taken exception to that account in interviews and has provided FoxNews and New York Magazine with a memo demonstrating that he recommended a location in Brooklyn but was overruled by Giuliani. Television journalist Chris Wallace interviewed Giuliani on May 13, 2007, about his 1997 decision to locate the command center at the World Trade Center. Giuliani laughed during Wallace's questions and said that Hauer recommended the World Trade Center site and claimed that Hauer said that the WTC site was the best location. Wallace presented Giuliani a photocopy of Hauer's directive letter. The letter urged Giuliani to locate the command center in Brooklyn, instead of lower Manhattan, because "not as visible a target as buildings in lower Manhattan." The February 1996 memo read, "The [Brooklyn] building is secure and not as visible a target as buildings in Lower Manhattan."

Dude is a worthless ghoul who lucked into a center stage role during a major terror attack.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

I imagine its one of those things too where people start questioning what the gently caress you are doing treating them well, results be damned.

Yeah, the torture we engaged in after 9/11 was as much or more about revenge as it was extracting information.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

friendbot2000 posted:

I have a friend who was an navy Intel officer in the Iraq war and he says basically the same thing. He told me he got a lot more reliable information with candy bars instead of a cudgel.

People are ridiculous susceptible positive treatment while under duress like, say, when they're being held in prison with no prospect of release.

Similar to the psychological loop that traps people in in abusive relationships, only leveraged for sake of intelligence gathering. Still pretty odious, though obviously nowhere near as bad as torture.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Eh except the part where abuse victims fear changing the status quo and stay trapped.

Similar, not the same. I specifically mean the bit where people under extreme stress will often respond disproportionately to even the smallest benevolent gesture, even if it's being offered by people who put them in that situation to begin with.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No worries, I was vague and agree that the distinction matters.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Then what is the loving point? Why do Republicans do these stupid things? It's mind boggling. Their own voters do not want them to do these things, their paymasters and donors and lobbyists don't want them to do these things, they continually motivate and energize votes for their opposition by doing these things. Literally nobody wins, NOT EVEN THEMSELVES.

They made promises, and even if making good creates huge problems that nobody actually wants they'll still get dragged by their base if they don't follow through. Their best bet to make a bunch of grand procedural gestures that accomplish very little so they can return to their die-hard supporters and say, "look at how we tried! But woe is us, the government is just too big and out of control. Also, please pay no attention to the fact that we currently are the government, it's all the Dems fault—vote for us, and we'll keep fighting the good fight!"

Over the past decade, the national-level GOP kinda forgot how to be anything other than the party of opposition. Dog catches car, etc., etc.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mauser posted:

What benefit would there be for Pence if he pardons Trump? Didn't work out for Ford and nobody likes Pence to begin with. Either way, I cannot see Pence getting reelected as president.

In addition to being a spineless yes-man, these people pardon their own. Even though he is the blackest of family sheep, Trump is still kin to the capital class, and they would rather pardon him than break ranks. No matter what comes out, even they haul him screaming into courtroom post-presidency, Trump is will not spend a day in jail.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh poo poo, the first debates are this week? How is it almost July already?

God, I already want it to be over. Why do our elections have to last 18 months?

Edit: wrong thread, but leavin' it not since I got quoted.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That seems in poor taste considering the nature of the crimes we're talking about here.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

I believe they mean johns, not victims.

Of course, still seems in poor taste to make a game of out the unfolding facts in a child sex trafficking ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Skynet was too subtle for real life haha

Science Fiction: should we hand all of humanity's weapons over to this nascent A.I.? Hmm...

Reality: flip the switch already! We're losing 2.7 million per hour to all this red tape!