Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Mind posted:

Or your Deviant Art drawings of Rep-Elect Ocasio-Cortez as asteroid 23238 Ocasio-Cortez. (Oh, god - I'll bet Ben Garrison is already working on it, in the worst possible way. :gonk:)

Not a meteor, but this post reminded me of:
https://twitter.com/__HypnoAngel/status/1069278148007813122

(Before anyone asks, that's from Hellstar Remina, a Junji Ito work.)

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hundreds of poor suckers are stuck in Rikers Island because they either can't make bail or they can't get the bail they can make posted for weeks, and here's this fucker already convicted of felonies being able to keep spending money doing PR ops. loving :thermidor:, man.

It's ridiculous. Hell, Wohl still haven't faced any consequences, has he, for another person who's blatantly criminal and supremely incompetent (though not part of the administration)?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

exploded mummy posted:

Wohl is barred from securities trading.

That was for the security fraud and a while ago. I mean, has he faced consequences for the Mueller stuff? Legal consequences, not the public humiliation he's too stupid to recognize.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The electoral college is a really lovely example of proportional representation, if it qualifies at all, and also one that does not apply to the post you were quoting, i.e. state level positions. What would be more relevant would be something like single transferable vote, which if I recall correctly is pretty much what the Fair Representation Act would have been.

Edit: Though I might be mistaken as to the point you're trying to make here?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mobby_6kl posted:

Then there's this
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1076170278315720704
I don't think he's wrong at all, but I did literally lol for a good while. What a world.

Oh yeah, Trump managed to find possibly the worst reason to pull the troops out: To facilitate genocide, because if he doesn't Erdogan might shut down Trump Towers Istanbul or otherwise hurt his business there.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FoolyCharged posted:

The cops did a pretty good job of telling them to gently caress off this time.

Meanwhile, in Califonia, the cops and the FBI decided to protect Neo-Nazis who, among other things, stabbed someone, and instead investigate and charge the counterprotestors, including the person who was stabbed, while cooperating with the Neo-Nazis and reassuring them that they wouldn't be charged. So, you know, I think it's pretty fair to not trust the cops to help in these situations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Akumu posted:

I'll repeat myself from USPol but literally all this study says is, if you train your machine vision on detecting white pedestrians, it will be better at detecting white pedestrians than non-white ones. No poo poo. But there's no claim that any actual self-driving cars have been trained in this way.

The thing is, that happens with other face/person detecting tech. A lot. Like, machines not recognizing black people is something I've seen quite a few times, in things from video games to automatic hand soap dispensers, so Tesla pulling the same thing would not surprise me at all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's an argument against the electoral college, not in favor of it. You're literally arguing that it's so unrepresentative that it encourages people not to vote at all; the answer there is to get rid of it so everyone actually has reason to vote, not to keep it because it distorts the popular vote and therefore the popular vote can't be relied upon.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kith posted:

yeah, nah

there's a long and varied history of hardcore anti-queer crusaders winding up doing super gay poo poo and the joke is focused on the statistical likelihood of them being hypocrites, not whatever gay joke you're desperately trying to see

That's what's being referenced. "All homophobes are closeted queer people" is a harmful and often false cliche and puts the blame for their terrible behavior on their queerness, real or imagined (since there's a whole lot of homophobes and transphobes out there who aren't), rather than them just being lovely people. It's usually not true and isn't really helpful, it's just a way for people to not have to think too hard about things and also mock the homophobic individual for... Being gay, apparently.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something people are missing, the Fair Representation Act (or another thing that implements Single Transferable Vote or another system like it) would also destroy gerrymandering pretty thoroughly, even with this bullshit ruling. Not completely, in that you could technically draw districts that would have a slight bias relative to other possible districts, but it would still make things dramatically more fair. And, best of all, it can be done entirely at the federal level, without an amendment; it just needs to pass Congress and be signed by the President.

Electoral reform needs to become part of the Democratic platform, even more than ever now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If states don't adhere to the federal voting laws, is there redress in the federal courts? are such issues justiciable under this decision?

Congress controls federal elections, if I recall correctly; the states carry them out, of course, but much influence over the particulars of how they're done that the states have is there because Congress lets them have it. Unless the Supreme Court decides the Constitution's explicit text no longer counts (which to be fair wouldn't be the first time), then the states have to suck it up and deal. (I could admittedly be missing the specifics, but I pretty clearly remember that this is how it broadly works. At the least, the reason we don't have multi-member districts at the federal level is because Congress outlawed them entirely, and similarly they could mandate them if they wanted. There was a really good thing on this subject I read a while back, but that was over a year ago so I can't find it.)

Technically local elections could still be winner-take-all, First Past The Post nonsense, but it'd make things extremely confusing and attempts to exploit it might backfire if federal and state stuff used entirely different systems and districts and whatnot.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
For those not familiar, the guy who filmed the murder chased Arbery down along with the other two, he wasn't just a guy who happened to be in the area and started filming when the killing took place.