Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the crickets came from inside the house the russian embassy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The only missile defense weapons that work from space are nuclear powered, and by nuclear powered I mean they are atomic bombs.

not necessarily.

quote:

The typical depiction of the tactic is of a satellite containing a magazine of tungsten rods and a directional thrust system. (In science fiction, the weapon is often depicted as being launched from a spaceship, instead of a satellite). When a strike is ordered, the launch vehicle would brake[1] one of the rods out of its orbit and into a suborbital trajectory that intersects the target. As the rod approaches periapsis and the target due to gravity, it picks up immense speed until it begins decelerating in the atmosphere and reaches terminal velocity shortly before impact. The rods would typically be shaped to minimize air resistance and maximize terminal velocity.

Kinetic bombardment has the advantage of being able to deliver projectiles from a very high angle at a very high speed, making them extremely difficult to defend against. In addition, projectiles would not require explosive warheads, and—in the simplest designs—would consist entirely of solid metal rods, giving rise to the common nickname "Rods from God".[2] Disadvantages include the technical difficulties of ensuring accuracy and the high costs of positioning ammunition in orbit.

we've never done it because a) delivering such a weapon platform into space would be incredibly expensive and b) icbm's and regular planes with bombs do the same trick for cheaper.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Neat, I didn't know that.

Looking forward to the live-re-enactment of goldeneye

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bloomberg continues to be poo poo, to no-ones surprise

https://twitter.com/henryfarrell/status/1099676366012862464

https://twitter.com/henryfarrell/status/1099676367912865797

https://twitter.com/henryfarrell/status/1099676374011392000

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is maggie haberman a journalist worth reading reporting of? I'm seeing her get a bunch of mentions in my feed but she seems like a generic press pool reporter.

How's her analysis overall? Centrist melt, full communism now, ...?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess is that these dudes were the cyber equivalent of TSA screeners -- i.e., their job is just to screen everybody who comes through and provide some security theater, not to actually stop a real espionage attempt.

Imagine what would happen if a TSA screener actually found a real bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wINinKkMdg

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm curious - from an engineering perspective, how do you stop a usb device from autostarting, assuming that at least part of the functionality will be input devices like keyboards and mice?

As in how do you make it secure to function as a bootable usb drive without also compromizing the security?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's going to work too. Not for the millions who have tapped out of politics or who already hate him, but it will absolutely energize his base.

now watch as trump industries starts selling limited edition trump hats, the proceeds* of which will go to help ordinary americans through this crisis, only 199 apiece

*some of the proceeds**
**5 percent