Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

"In its application to the IRS for status as a tax-exempt organization, the organizers reported that the group would study the impact of environmental regulations on businesses, records show. In that incarnation, the group took no action and “only existed on paper,” one man named in IRS filings as a board member told The Washington Post. Another named in a state filing as a board member said he never agreed to be on the board."

I hereby declare that this nation shall henceforth and forever be a Griftocracy, open to one and all for the profit of each individual self, alone and undivided.

Gather round young and old, nickel in hand, and pick a card, any card....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
"Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton Celebrates Eight-Year Sentence Against Woman Who Accidentally Voted Illegally"

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/11/ken-paxton-rosa-ortega-texas-punishment-accident-voting-illegally.html

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Wow. It's actually even worse for his lawyers than simply "Oh, it's not actually an emergency. I'm just impatient." That's some next level brain worms to follow up by laying out how it's just a political stunt to win an election.

:discourse:

Minor point of order, but at the moment, "his lawyers" defending his "argument" before the courts = the US Department of Justice, because of his role as "president".

They serve under his discretion.

I hope they're all pooping uncontrollably right now.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Can't wait for all the ghouls to take a victory lap because their innate desire to not trust a black man turned out to be right..

Can't wait to find out the actual truth and then move on from there.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If you have businessy chuddy types in your sphere:

"Corporate America brought $664.9 billion of offshore profits back to the U.S. last year, falling short of the $4 trillion President Donald Trump said would return as a result of the 2017 tax overhaul."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-27/trump-s-offshore-cash-promise-falters-as-665-billion-returns

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If you want a non-shouty history review of the investigations into dear leader, Frontline did this the other day, after the Barr report:

"For two years, special counsel Robert Mueller's probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 election has dominated headlines. Drawing from interviews with U.S. officials, Trump advisers, legal experts and journalists, FRONTLINE offers an inside look into the investigation that President Donald Trump has continually deemed a "witch hunt." "

https://www.pbs.org/video/mueller-investigation-hleb8x/

I've only seen the first half hour, so don't spoiler the end! :)

But do watch for Bannon speaking less kindly of the current state of things.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

It's a bit of a tangent, but there's something to be said for less procreation meaning less sex. If you're not having kids, marriage seems less important, which means less long term relationships, and more time spent single and sexless.
I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5MwTIV0Wc

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If not the...biglyest.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Cross Posting per request:

Iranian Students Set to Start at U.S. Universities Are Barred From Country
20 September

Anti-Vax Parents Protest In NY After Their Unvaccinated Kids Kicked Out Of School

September 21, 2019
"In the midst of America’s worst measles outbreak in decades, some states like New York have ended the use of religious exemptions as reasons for parents not to vaccinate their children. Parents were given a two week grace period after the start of school to provide vaccination records or their kids wouldn’t be allowed back. As that grace period ends, many parents are fighting back, furious that the law is actually being upheld."

Kicked out of school for related reasons: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...Q4dUDCAY&uact=5

Brazil's Army Wanted to "Occupy" the Amazon Before. Leaked Audio Reveals Their Plan to Try Again
September 19 2019
"Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro is planning to push industrialization and development in the interior of the country’s Amazon basin. It is far from a new project. For more than a century, a series of Brazilian governments have sought to move into the country’s interior, developing — or, to be more precise, colonizing — the Amazon. From the populist president-turned-dictator who made one of the early industrial pushes into the forest in the 1930s to the military dictatorship that ruled the country for two decades from 1964 until 1985, the justifications have largely been the same — economic gain and geopolitical paranoia — as were the often poor results."

Former intelligence analyst says White House tried to delete "basic science" from climate change report
September 20, 2019

Trump's failure to fight climate change is a crime against humanity
August 19, 2019

Born-Again Christian Missionaries Are Setting Fire to Sacred Aboriginal Objects
September 21, 2019
"A group of Christian missionaries who believe traditional Aboriginal culture is the same as worshiping the devil is burning sacred objects in the Australian Outback."

Edited to add: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_cultural_heritage_by_ISIL

2 striking photos taken just over a year apart show how Greta Thunberg's climate strike inspired millions

Sep. 20, 2019 / Business Insider

California neo-Nazi who ran against Dianne Feinstein now a candidate in Idaho
September 18, 2019

Two U.S. Swing States Lost the Most Factory Jobs in Past Year
September 20, 2019 / Bloomberg

Acting ICE chief defends agents, scolds lawmakers for political rhetoric
Sep 19, 2019
'“We’re not Nazis,” he said in a wide-ranging interview this week, referencing comparisons from Democrats who've described migrant detention centers as “concentration camps.”'

If This Isn’t Impeachable, Nothing Is
8:10 AM ET / The Atlantic

Otteration fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 22, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Continuing reposts until the gods are bored or angry:

How the White Nationalists Who Love Trump Found Inspiration in the Group That Gave Us Narendra Modi
'Question: What is the connection between controversial Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi — who is visiting Houston this Sunday for the “Howdy, Modi” summit, as well as a meeting with President Donald Trump — and a spate of white nationalist terrorist attacks across the West?

Answer: Anders Breivik.'

Trump, Carson reject California's request for federal help on homelessness
"At the same time that President Donald Trump and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson are promising federal action to intervene in homelessness in California, they're rejecting requests from local officials for help and escalating the blame game between the federal government and the state."

A Fake Climate Strike Photo Makes Its Rounds Online
"Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg joined New York City for the Global Youth Climate Strike on Friday, and many others in different parts of the world took part — and are still taking part until September 27th — in the huge worldwide event, calling for action to address the Climate Emergency. But it seems some people are raining on this pro-environment parade by spreading a false photo online, showing waste protesters supposedly left at Hyde Park in Sydney, Australia."

France Is the First Country to Ban Plastic Cups, Plates, and Cutlery
"The French government has passed a law that could revolutionize barbecues, picnics, and birthdays. Starting in 2020, most plastic cups, plates and cutlery will be totally banned."

To fight ‘evil’ ICE, an engineer pulled his code off Github
"When engineer Seth Vargo found that a company using his open-source code worked with US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, he pulled the code off Github. The company, enterprise software maker Chef, found that, without the code, its business ground to a halt."

Protests sans Molotov cocktails? Who knew?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Border Patrol agents, rather than asylum officers, interviewing families for ‘credible fear’
Sep. 19, 2019
"WASHINGTON — Border Patrol agents, rather than highly trained asylum officers, are beginning to screen migrant families for “credible fear” to determine whether applicants qualify for U.S. protection, the Los Angeles Times has learned."

Jennifer Arcuri: Boris Johnson repeatedly refuses to deny affair with ex-model awarded public funds and access
9 hours ago
Because chud hypocrisy and shittiness are universal.

What Betsy DeVos did to the public service debt forgiveness program isn’t ‘regrettable.’ It’s wrong.
September 20

Doomed, delusional, divided and corrupt: How the Democratic Party became a haunted house
September 22, 2019
"Conflicted about ideology and identity and deeply compromised by history, the Democratic Party is built to lose"

Sandusky, Ohio, Makes Election Day A Paid Holiday — By Swapping Out Columbus Day
"But last week city leaders took steps that could make Sandusky known as a leader of democracy, too: They declared Election Day a paid holiday – by swapping out Columbus Day."

Old article, but small solutions are still everywhere (as are large solutions).

The Press Is Embracing False Equivalence—Again
Sep 22, 2019
"Coverage of the president’s pressure on Ukraine suggests the media learned nothing from 2016."

GOP Challenger Bill Weld Calls for Death Penalty for Trump ‘Treason’ Over Ukraine
09.23.19 10:22AM ET
“That is treason. It’s treason pure and simple, and the penalty for treason under the U.S. code is death"'

The Climate Hunters
September 20, 2019
"The researchers, all in their 20s, pursue an invisible threat to the planet: methane. Although not as famous as another global-warming gas, carbon dioxide, methane’s levels have surged, and scientists aren’t sure why. Finding answers is an urgent mission in a place where some of the most dramatic climate changes are starkly visible, and the biggest dangers may await."

Protest Over ICE Facility Targets GEO Official’s Home In Aurora
September 19, 2019
"AURORA, Colo. (CBS4)– A protest planned outside the home of the ICE detention center’s top administrator in Aurora attracted dozens of protesters on Thursday evening. The ICE facility, run by GEO, has attracted at times, raucous protesters. But this is the first time a protest was planned outside a private home of one of the administrators."

Indonesia’s Rainforests Are Burning and They Matter Just as Much as the Amazon
22 September 2019
"Like in the Amazon, the driving reason for fires is the need to clear land for agricultural use, which is a mostly illegal practice. Eighty percent of Indonesian forest fires are due to land clearing for palm oil plantations. Palm oil is used in a variety of everyday products, including shampoo, chocolate, detergents, bread, and cosmetics. Last year, Indonesia provided over half of the world's palm oil, and demand for it is only increasing, meaning our consumer choice is directly linked to these fires."

'How dare you': Greta Thunberg tears into world leaders over inaction at U.N. climate summit
September 23, 2019
"In an angry and emotional speech at the United Nations climate summit on Monday, Swedish teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg tore into world leaders for failing to act."

Includes video of said speech.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The Impeachment Process, Explained
"The inquiry into President Trump has the potential to reshape his presidency. Here’s how impeachment works."
Sept. 24, 2019

Reshape his presidency gently with a chainsaw, if can we do it right.

Emphasis on the loving "WE".

Florida Cop Who Arrested 2 Elementary Kids Fired; Was Previously Charged With Child Abuse
"Orlando Police have fired Officer Dennis Turner for violating department policy when he arrested two six-year-old children last week. But while Turner’s termination came swiftly (and amid widespread backlash), new light is being cast on the officer’s record of misconduct, including a previous charge of child abuse."

Thousands protest against new criminal code in Indonesia
"At least 40 injured in student protests over plans that include outlawing extramarital sex"

'Thousands of students have taken to the streets in Indonesia to protest against a “disastrous” draft criminal code that would include outlawing extramarital sex and a controversial new law that could weaken the nation’s anti-corruption body.'

GOP lawmaker to introduce bill requiring arrested DC protesters pay for police overtime
"GOP Rep. Jim Banks (Ind.) on Monday said that in response to climate protests that took place in downtown Washington, D.C., he plans to introduce a bill that would force arrested protesters to pay for police overtime.

"“Under my bill, a person will be responsible for public safety response costs incurred by the District of Columbia’s response to a demonstration if, in connection with the demonstration, the person is convicted of a felony or misdemeanor offense,” Banks tweeted."

Lesson of the Day: ‘Protesting Climate Change, Young People Take to Streets in a Global Strike’
"In this lesson, students learn more about the climate change protests that took place on Friday around the world, and consider what constitutes success for this movement powered by young people."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A 'nightmare scenario' if Trump pulls US out of global postal union, agency warns
24 Sep 2019
"The Universal Postal Union (UPU) has been holding an emergency meeting in Geneva to persuade Washington not to follow through on a threat to quit the agency, which sets rules to ensure mail gets delivered around the globe."

Pastor Robert Jeffress: Rainbows Are God’s Way of Saying Climate Change is Fake
September 24, 2019
'“God said he created the environment to serve us, not for us to serve the environment,” Jeffress replied. “This Greta Thunberg, the 16 year-old, she was warning today about the mass extinction of humanity. Somebody needs to read poor Greta Genesis chapter 9 and tell her the next time she worries about global warming, just look at a rainbow; that’s God’s promise that the polar ice caps aren’t going to melt and flood the world again.”'

43 Percent of White Students Harvard Admits Are Legacies, Jocks, or the Kids of Donors and Faculty
Sept 23, 2019
"This month, a group of researchers have delivered a sobering look at how affirmative action works for affluent whites at America’s most prestigious university."

Boris Johnson told to resign following Supreme Court defeat and become the 'shortest-serving prime minister ever'
Sep 24, 2019
"The UK opposition Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, on Tuesday called on Prime Minister Boris Johnson to become the "shortest-serving prime minister" ever as Johnson's opponents lined up to call for his resignation following the dramatic UK Supreme Court ruling that his decision earlier this month to suspend the UK Parliament was illegal."

Otteration fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 26, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Report on how House Democrats turned it up from 3 to 11 in support of impeachment:

Why the House Democratic Caucus Was Able to Move So Rapidly Toward Impeachment
"Then Monday night, six of the most vocal opponents of impeachment, the type Raskin was referring to at last week’s meeting, published a joint op-ed in the Washington Post, calling for impeachment proceedings to begin: The authors, all front-line freshmen, included Spanberger, Slotkin, Gil Cisneros of California, Houlahan, Luria, and Sherrill. (Jason Crow of Colorado also signed, but he had previously come out in support of impeachment.)"

All from purple states, who had been holding out against impeachment until the initial poo poo hit the turbine and they wrote an oped (no WAPO sub so straight link):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/09/24/seven-freshman-democrats-these-allegations-are-threat-all-we-have-sworn-protect/

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The Case for Trump’s Impeachment Goes Beyond Ukraine
Sept 25, 2019
"He has betrayed America with seven countries. Here’s the indictment."

Eric Trump brags about foreign development deal right after complaining about the supposed corruption of Joe Biden's son
5:40 p.m.
"Eric Trump took to Twitter on Thursday afternoon to agree with Fox News' Mark Levin, who complained that lawmakers "can't touch Hunter Biden" over the supposed corruption scandal President Trump has been harping on about, but can subpoena the Trump siblings.

In his very next tweet, the president's son bragged about securing a new phase of Trump Organization development in Scotland."

Republicans Say Impeachment Will Backfire. History Says It Won’t
Bloomberg: September 26, 2019
"Only three U.S. presidents have ever faced a serious threat of removal by Congress – Andrew Johnson, Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton -- and in each case the party that initiated the inquiry ended up benefiting in the next election."

NC Republicans are trying to ban marriage equality because ‘perverted acts’ shouldn’t be protected
September 25, 2019
'The co-sponsor of a bill said that he isn't listening to complaints because "God is perfect" and anyone who disagrees can "Tell it to Satan."'

19-Year-Old Indigenous Climate Activist Artemisa Xakriabá: “We Fight for Mother Earth”
September 23, 2019
'Friday’s climate strike in New York City concluded with remarks from indigenous leaders, activists and organizers. Artemisa Xakriabá, a 19-year-old indigenous climate activist of the Xakriabá people, spoke about the increasing intensity of environmental destruction across Brazil and the interconnectedness of the fight for climate justice. “We fight for our Mother Earth because the fight for Mother Earth is the mother of all other fights,” Xakriabá said. “We are fighting for your lives. We are fighting for our lives. We are fighting for our sacred territory. But we are being persecuted, threatened, murdered, only for protecting our own territories. We cannot accept one more drop of indigenous blood spilled.”'

U.S. income inequality at highest level in 50 years, economic gap growing in heartland
Sept. 26, 2019
"Six states with the biggest yearly gains in inequality were primarily in the heartland — Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, New Hampshire and New Mexico."

Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, New Hampshire, and New Mexico.

GM fires Mexican workers for aiding US strikers and calling for cross-border fight against automaker
23 September 2019

Impeachment Shouldn’t Be the Goal of Impeachment
September 26, 2019
"In lieu of justice, what I would like is answers. I would like the full story, a complete and detailed account of everyone’s involvement in everything. The whistleblower’s complaint is in large part an explanation of how dedicated the White House is to avoiding public disclosure of malfeasance. The fact that we are able to read it today is proof that impeachment is not a goal in and of itself, but a tool for ferreting out the truth. It should convince any skeptic that an impeachment inquiry should be wide-ranging and inclusive of all the president’s most serious scandals, from his apparent family history of tax fraud, to his ongoing abuse of office for self-enrichment, to his well-documented attempts at obstruction of justice."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The fight to end Roe v. Wade enters its endgame next week
Updated Sep 27, 2019
"The Supreme Court could dismantle the constitutional right to an abortion, and all it has to do is sit on its hands.

The constitutional right to an abortion is almost certainly coming to an end — the only question is how long the Supreme Court’s new majority will take to kill it off. It’s not likely to be very long. On October 1, the Supreme Court will meet to decide whether to hear a case that could leave little, if any, of this right standing."

One of the Most Powerful Anti-Abortion Groups Is Convinced the End of Roe v. Wade Is Coming
Sep 26 2019
'“It’s more of a when than an if."

In its 2019 legislative report, released Thursday, Americans United for Life found that so far this year, 58 “life-affirming laws” have been passed in 22 states. That’s more than a 25% spike over 2018.

Around 40 abortion restriction-related cases are also currently making their way through the lower courts, and the majority-conservative Supreme Court will soon be forced to take one on, according to Glenn.

“Within the next three to five years, we see that as something that’s getting closer and closer to an inevitability. And state legislators see that too, and so they are sort of acting in accordance with that,” Glenn said.'

White evangelicals love Trump and aren't confused about why. No one should be.
Sept. 27, 2019
"Liberals have a tendency to wring their hands at the strong support President Donald Trump — he of the three wives and multiple affairs, and a tendency to engage in exceedingly un-Christian-like behavior at the slightest provocation — continues to receive from the white evangelical community. White evangelical support for Donald Trump is still at 73 percent, and more than 80 percent of white evangelicals voted for him in 2016.

But focusing on the disconnect between Trump's personal actions and the moral aspects of their faith misses the issue that keeps their support firm: racism. Modern evangelicals' support for this president cannot be separated from the history of evangelicals' participation in and support for racist structures in America."

Think impeachment will help Trump? He's sure not acting like it
September 27, 2019

Self-Impeaching: On the Trump-Zelensky Conversation
September 25, 2019
An extremely detailed discussion about what got the orange poo poo smear into this kerfuffle. Useful maybe if your "friends" elsewhere worry about the "legality" of it all. (And because "elsewhere" seems to be producing arguments from 2 weeks ago.)

A Phone Conversation Between Dread Lord Nyarlathotep and a Minor Shoggoth Regarding Investigating Rival Great Old One, Hastur
September 25, 2019
Nerds! :)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A Former ICE Chief Melts Down
slate.com/Sept 27, 2019
"Thomas Homan, like the agency he led, rejects any limits on his power.

Thomas Homan, the Trump administration’s acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement from January 2017 to June 2018, helped to transform the agency into an arm of Donald Trump’s nativist agenda. During his 17 months, ICE escalated its terror tactics against immigrant communities, tormented thousands of individuals in ICE custody, and lied to federal courts. On Thursday, asked to answer for his agency’s conduct and policies in a congressional hearing, he responded with a meltdown that perfectly captured a lawless organization’s rejection of any rules or authority that might limit its power."

Hunter Biden’s Perfectly Legal, Socially Acceptable Corruption
theatlantic.com/Sep 27, 2019
"Donald Trump committed an impeachable offense, but prominent Americans also shouldn’t be leveraging their names for payoffs from shady clients abroad."

Tesla violated labor laws by blocking union organizing, judge rules
cnbc.com/Sep 27 2019
"Administrative Law Judge Amita Baman Tracy found that CEO Elon Musk violated national labor laws when he implied via tweet that Tesla workers who unionized would have to give up their company stock options."

All college students should take a mandatory course on black history and white privilege
usatoday.com/Sept. 23, 2019

Facebook Is Making Millions by Promoting Hate Groups’ Content
sludge.com/Sep 25, 2019
"Despite a company policy banning hate speech, the social media giant has taken in nearly $1.6 million from hate groups since mid-2018."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

We're going to spend the rest of our lives trying to repair the damage Trump did, and then climate change will kill us all before we finish.

How about, maybe, (and just spitballing here) LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Just a thought. We should maybe form a committee first or something.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
'Make the time, or quit': Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez demands lawmakers read the bombshell 9-page whistleblower report after some said they didn't look at it yet
businessinsider.com/Sep. 27, 2019

Pelosi: Impeachment worth losing House in 2020
thehill.com/09/28/19
"Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated Saturday that successfully pursuing impeachment of President Trump would be worth losing the Democrats' House majority in 2020.

People say you have to take a political risk doing that," she continued. "That doesn't matter. That doesn't matter. Because we cannot have a president of the United States undermining his oath of office, his loyalty to his oath of office, undermining our national security, and undermining the integrity of our elections."

No idea.

Stephen Miller: Trump Is the Real Whistle-blower Uncovering Corruption
nymag.com/5:55 P.M.
'“Do you want a democracy in this country or do you want a deep state?” Miller asked and answered. “It’s a binary choice for the American people.” He may have forgotten the word “false” in there before “binary.”'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the only moral abortion is my abortion

The only moral abortion is my $100,000 cash under the table abortion.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The president is coming to Minneapolis. Don’t expect a warm welcome from city officials.
bizjournals.com/Sep 27, 2019
'“Under ordinary circumstances, it would be an honor to welcome a sitting President of the United States to Minneapolis and to showcase all our city has to offer on the national stage. But these aren’t ordinary circumstances,” Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said in a statement released shortly after the rally was announced.'

A new Senate report is the latest threat to NRA’s tax-exempt status — and maybe its survival
vox.com/September 28, 2019
"Some experts believe if the NRA loses its tax-exempt status, it will be forced to shut down.

Leaders of the National Rifle Association (NRA) traveled to Moscow using NRA funds, according to a new Senate report, raising the question of whether the organization broke laws governing nonprofit spending. If the association did in fact break those laws, it could lose its tax-exempt status — and according to a former IRS official, without its tax-exempt status the NRA could be forced to shut down."

Austrian elections: support for far-right collapses
theguardian.com/29 Sep 2019
"Support for Austria’s Freedom party (FPÖ) has plunged by more than a third as voters punished the far-right group in national elections for a corruption scandal that brought down the government."

Fresh wave of climate strikes takes place around the world
theguardian.com/27 Sep 2019
"Hundreds of thousands hit streets across continents to demand action on climate"

Teen girls strike for global action on climate change
nbcnews.com/Sept. 15, 2019
"“The world is watching us,” said Isabelle Axelsson, 18, who has skipped class weekly to march with Fridays for Future in Stockholm."

Greta Thunberg meets Trudeau, tells him he's not doing enough to fight climate change
cbc.ca/Sep 27, 2019
"Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg told Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau today he's not doing enough to protect the environment from the threat of runaway climate change."

Irish far-right National Party leader doused with milkshake during event in Galway
irishpost.com/September 30, 2019
"The National Party opposes immigration and abortion rights and seeks to reform the Irish criminal justice system and introduce the death penalty to Ireland.

Members of the party dispersed after a milkshake was thrown at Mr Barrett, who is the leader of the National Party."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Whistleblower’s attorney reminds Trump that retaliation against his accuser is a federal crime
occupydemocrats.com/September 30, 2019
"The only thing more dangerous than a criminal afraid of being caught is one who has already been fingered, has yet to be convicted, and knows the identity of his accuser."

The irony of Trump demanding to meet his accuser, explained
vox.com/Sep 30, 2019
"There are almost two dozen women who have gone on record with accusations."

Setting foot off church property could mean being permanently separated from her children—so Ingrid Encalada Latorre gave birth to her daughter in the rec room.
thedailybeast.com/09.30.19
"Two weeks ago, Latorre gave birth to her daughter in the recreation room of a Colorado church where she has claimed sanctuary since December 2017—the safest place to do so, she said, when stepping off of church property could mean being permanently separated from her children."

Jimmy Carter, the oldest living former US president, is 95 today
cnn.com/October 1, 2019

People Filed Complaints About Stray Cat Roaming Around Law Firm So They Hired Him
unilad.co.uk/26 Sep 2019
"Leon was just like any other stray cat – roaming the streets, looking for scraps. One day, he walked into the Order of Attorneys of Brazil building, and his life changed."
UK, so YMMV.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
World on fire: All the protests happening around the globe right now
businessinsider.com/8 hours ago
"Protests have long been a powerful political tool for enacting change and expressing discontent.

From the Civil Rights Movement's the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom to Indian independence, protests have left powerful marks upon the world. Historically, protests have served as an outlet for marginalized groups to articulate their frustrations — and make their demands known. One such example is New York's Stonewall riots, which kicked off the modern Pride movement and mainstream LGBTQ visibility.

Today, protests like last month's Global Climate Strike and Hong Kong's ongoing mass protests are calls for politicians to change their policies. The climate strike, for example, drew over 6 million protesters around the world, making it the biggest demonstration against climate change in history."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Reposted from the USPOL thread, of course. Not a lot of other news poking up through the surface, of course.

A November resignation seems terribly optimistic for Perry in this timeline.

From only yesterday (since slightly updated):
thedailybeast.com/10.0319:
Trump Is Going to Burn Down Everything and Everyone, and Republicans, That Means You
"That press conference was terrifying. And congressional Republicans should be more afraid than anyone. Trump’s going down and taking them with him.
Donald Trump’s Oval Office performance-art masterpiece Wednesday was one for the ages, a pity-party, stompy-foot screech session by President Snowflake von Pissypants, the most put-upon man ever to hold the highest office in the land. If you watched his nationally televised press conference, Trump’s shrill, eye-popping hissy fit scanned like the end of a long, coke-fueled bender where the itchy, frenzied paranoia is dry-humping the last ragged gasps of the earlier party-powder fun."

Go for it if anyone want's to dispute the description in the article above. And that was only yesterday, well prior to all the poo poo that happened today. Bless your heart if you think this orange fecal smear will last another month.

Related Hunter S. Thompson tax:
He Was a Crook
"A scathing obituary of Richard Nixon, originally published in Rolling Stone on June 16, 1994

Richard Nixon is gone now, and I am poorer for it. He was the real thing -- a political monster straight out of Grendel and a very dangerous enemy. He could shake your hand and stab you in the back at the same time. He lied to his friends and betrayed the trust of his family. Not even Gerald Ford, the unhappy ex-president who pardoned Nixon and kept him out of prison, was immune to the evil fallout. Ford, who believes strongly in Heaven and Hell, has told more than one of his celebrity golf partners that "I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

Might be time to feel free to post the beginnings of a trend, too:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It’s Time For Everyone To Join The Impeachment Fight
crooked.com/Oct.4.19

California just legalized public banking, setting the stage for more affordable housing
theguardian.com/4 Oct 2019
'"The California governor, Gavin Newsom, on Wednesday signed the Public Banking Act, or AB 857, which will allow city and county governments to create, or sponsor, public banks. Those banks will in turn provide public agencies access to loans at interest rates much lower than they could find at private banks.
The Democratic congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted her support on Wednesday after Newsom signed the bill, writing: “Public banking is next level!”'

Trump's impeachment polling is historically unprecedented
cnn.com/October 4, 2019
"More amazingly, more Americans are in favor of impeaching Trump now than they were at a similar time during the House's investigation of Nixon in 1973 and 1974."
Maybe, of course. Throw it at your FB (or whatever) uncle anyway.

Staff at Florida bar pulls $14,000 off walls to donate to Hurricane Dorian relief
abcnews.go.com/Oct 2, 2019
"Siesta Key Oyster Bar in Sarasota, Florida, has made it a novelty for patrons to write messages on dollar bills and secure them to its ceiling and walls. Now, the establishment is donating thousands to Hurricane Dorian relief."

Climate strike with activist Greta Thunberg draws thousands in Iowa City
siouxcityjournal.com/18 hrs ago

Ralph Nader: Why Isn't the 99% Revolting?
truthdig.com/Oct 04, 2019
Crap headline, it's his 19 leftist theses, none of which contain the word "revolt" (can't copy a quote for internet reasons somehow, sorry).

Oust Pelosi From the Presidential Succession Line
Opinion/bloomberg.com/October 4, 2019
"Democrats should make it legally impossible for impeachment to deliver them the White House."
"But even a little uncertainty about that outcome might be enough to push otherwise open-minded Republicans away from voting for impeachment or conviction. Removing Pelosi and the third-in-line official, Senate President Pro Tem Charles Grassley, from having any chance of becoming president would be a worthwhile gesture for Democrats to make, indicating that they accept the reality that a Republican will be president until January, 2021, no matter what happens."

Do not want Pelosi in charge, but there are no "open-minded Republicans". None shall rule. All of them are either currently supporting the orange fecal smear or have been too silent for too long to matter. Negotiation is no longer necessary.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ex-Bush aide brutally trashes Trump kids’ corruption: ‘There are bivalves with more self-awareness’
rawstory.com/October 5, 2019'“Well, when you see poor Eric and poor Don Jr., you realize there are bivalves with more self-awareness than the Trump children,” said Frum. “The biggest Trump family scandal, Trump next-generation scandal is one that didn’t quite come off. In the period of the transition, between the election and inauguration, Jared Kushner met with senior officers of the Anbang financial concern in China, with a view to get hundreds of millions of dollars to rescue his desperately failing project on Fifth Avenue. That was exposed in time by The New York Times, and so the deal did not happen. But this was not a $50,000 payday. This was not a $50 million payday. This was a multiple hundreds of millions of dollars payday.”'

Went in for the headline. Stuck around to read the envy. Even made it through the "Eat Each Other, Fuckers" dessert to watch the "We Laid These Foundations, and Now it's The House of Trump?!" morality after dinner play. Stars given for bashing the Hunter Biden non-story and the final line, "...But the Trump family is so far and away the most corrupt in American presidential history that you really can’t think of who’s in second place.”

26 arrested after protesters throw red paint on bull statue in Manhattan
abc7ny.com/Updated 2 hours ago
"LOWER MANHATTAN, New York City (WABC) -- Police arrested nearly 100 people taking part in a climate change protests at the charging bull statue on Wall Street and around Lower Manhattan on Monday."
'"Look, we absolutely apologize to anyone who is personally inconvenienced by our actions. We don't want to be here. We don't want to disrupt people's lives. What we want is for the government to act. We have tried so hard within more regular means and it hasn't been successful, so we feel that we've been pushed extraordinary action," said Extinction Rebellion Sydney spokesperson Elly Baxter.'

ETA:
‘Incredibly worrying’: legal fight looms around Australia over clampdown on protest

"Peaceful protest, the Queensland government says, is only acceptable if it does not disrupt people going about their ordinary business.

But disruption is the point."

Otteration fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 8, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Leaving Syria is ‘knife in the back’ for Kurdish forces, Panetta says
pbs.org/Oct 7, 2019 6:52 PM EDT
"The U.S. military is on the way out of northeastern Syria, and it appears that Turkish forces are on their way in. What does President Trump's decision to withdraw troops mean for Syria and Kurdish forces? Amna Nawaz gets reaction from former Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta and former National Security Council staff member Steve Simon."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Netanyahu Warns Against Turkey's Ethnic Cleansing of 'Gallant Kurds'; Vows to Assist
haaretz.com/Oct 10, 2019
"Erdogan blasts Netanyahu's comments as 'empty words of disgraced politician looking at many years in prison'"

Don't know what Netanyahu is thinking but might be time to bring back single combat.

George Will: No Republican who supports Trump should be re-elected
rawstory.com/October 10, 2019
'Writing in the Washington Post, Will recalled the times Trump complimented his own intelligence, saying “I’m a very stable genius” and that he has “a very good brain.” In reality, Trump is “spiraling downward in a tightening gyre,” said Will.'

Pence, Pompeo and Barr deserve to be impeached, too
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 9, 2019
"President Trump has no one but himself to blame for the fact that he is on the verge of being impeached. He recognizes no legal or moral limits on his “absolute right” to do whatever he pleases — including pressuring a foreign country to intervene in U.S. politics on his behalf. But his most senior aides have done him no favors by acting as accelerators rather than brakes on his unconscionable conduct.

Three senior officials, in particular, could have tried to dissuade the president from misusing his office for personal gain, but there is no evidence that they ever attempted to do so. History will record their names along with Trump’s in the annals of ignominy. The president’s principal accomplices in his brazen assault on the rule of law are Vice President Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and Attorney General William P. Barr."

Every Republican on the 2020 ballot should face the kind of scorn heaped on Joni Ernst
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 10, 2019

Christians Plan National Day Of Prayer To Support Trump Impeachment Inquiry
huffpost.com/10/09/2019
"There are some Republicans who are less effective than others in disguising their moral cowardice and partisan blindness. Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) is among the worst."

'Tip of the Iceberg': Prosecutors Allege Vast Criminal Conspiracy by Giuliani Associates to Funnel Foreign Cash to Trump and GOP
commondreams.org
(Non-twit recap.)

McConnell's likely Democratic challenger raises $10.7 million In three months
cnn.com/October 10, 2019
"The massive haul once again reveals McGrath to be a fundraising powerhouse. In her 2018 congressional race, an ad highlighting McGrath's background — the first woman Marine to fly an F-18 in combat, who flew more than 85 combat missions in the Middle East -- went viral and helped her raise millions before she narrowly lost in November. In the last financial quarter, McGrath received on average $36 and donations from every county in Kentucky, according to her campaign."

The Horrifying Campaign Against LGBTQ People in Poland—and How the U.S. Has Made It Worse
slate.com/Oct 10, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is Barr still out of the country? Is he ever coming back?

He came back and had a meeting with Murdoch. A running theory is trump had Barr tell Murdoch to fire Shep.

Why Shep Smith finally walked out of Fox News for good
cnn.com/October 11, 2019

Flip a coin, so far IMO.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Tillerson story creates Trump’s latest possible impeachable offense
msnbc.com/10/10/19
'About a year ago, former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson appeared at a forum and was asked why he and Donald Trump struggled to see eye to eye. The nation’s former chief diplomat talked a bit about the differences in their styles before noting, almost in passing, that the president had asked him to do things that “violate the law.”'

China Is Destroying Uighur Cemeteries, Affecting Generations of Families
vice.com/October 2019
"Research by AFP and satellite imagery by Earthrise Alliance released yesterday found that Uighur burial grounds in Xinjiang have been destroyed, leaving shattered tombs and bones behind. Forty-five Uighur cemeteries have been dugout since 2014, including 30 in just the past two years."

Jane Fonda arrested in climate change strike outside Capitol
abcnews.go.com/Oct 11, 2019
"Academy Award winning actress Jane Fonda, 81, was arrested by police with a group of about a dozen protesters Friday after being warned repeatedly to leave the steps of the U.S. Capitol."

The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia
Frontline (pbs.org)/Aired: 10/01/19
"A year after the murder of columnist Jamal Khashoggi, FRONTLINE investigates the rise of Saudi Arabia's crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman. In a two-hour documentary, Martin Smith — who has covered the Middle East for FRONTLINE for 20 years — examines the crown prince's vision for the future of Saudi Arabia, his handling of dissent and his ties to Khashoggi's killing."

Good in-depth review of recent Saudi history.

We wanted to help out in Normandy but we had bone spurs, explain Kurds
newsthump.com/10 October 2019
"As Donald Trump tries to justify abandoning long-standing allies, specifically those who did the brunt of the fighting in the US campaign against ISIS, the Kurdish authorities have tried to change his mind by explaining they were plagued by painful bone spurs during World War 2."

(Satire.)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Pentagon says US forces came under Turkish artillery fire in Syria
cnn.com/Updated 12:32 PM ET, Sat October 12, 2019
"One US official told CNN the US does not believe the Turkish shelling near US troops posted near Kobani was an accident and that it was likely designed to chase the US from the area. The US has previously announced that it gave Turkey "explicit grid coordinate detail" of US positions in Syria."

We know this, but headlines are circulating that Turkish forces "Mistakenly" or "Accidentally" bombed. Nope.

Manufacturing is now officially in recession, despite Trump’s vow to boost industry
latimes.com/Oct. 11, 2019
"During President Trump’s first two years in office, his standing with many voters was buoyed by a surge in manufacturing that helped create millions of new jobs and undergirded the whole U.S. economy.

But today, manufacturing has plunged into recession and is threatening to pull down other sectors, perhaps hitting hardest on supporters in those states that helped put Trump in office."

After Avoiding Safety Upgrades, PG&E Hired Lobbyists and Public Relations Instead
theintercept.com/October 11 2019
"Power shutoffs affecting more than 1 million residents, scheduled by PG&E this week throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California, have sparked a massive backlash, with many community members telling reporters that they are shocked that the company has not done more to upgrade its transmission lines."

Despite US soldiers in Syria, Trump says, ‘We have no soldiers in Syria’
msnbc.com/10/11/19
'The first sign of trouble came in November 2016, about two weeks after the U.S. presidential election, when Donald Trump sat down with the New York Times and said he had some “strong ideas” about Syria. The article about the interview added at the time, “He declined to say what those ideas are despite several requests to do so.”'

California bans private prisons and immigration detention centers
reuters.com/October 11, 2019
"California moved to end the use of private, for-profit lockups in America’s largest state prison system as well as in federal immigration detention centers in the state under a measure signed into law on Friday by Governor Gavin Newsom"

Who are the Kurds?
bbc.com/9 October 2019
"Between 25 and 35 million Kurds inhabit a mountainous region straddling the borders of Turkey, Iraq, Syria, Iran and Armenia. They make up the fourth-largest ethnic group in the Middle East, but they have never obtained a permanent nation state."
BBC review for your friends claiming the Kurds for whatever reason left or right.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
World Bank Cuts Russian Growth Forecast
themoscowtimes.com/Oct. 9, 2019
"Economy expected to expand by just 1% in 2019 amid weak investment, low consumer confidence and international sanctions."

Might be time to poke the oil-price bear.

Democrats to offer resolution demanding Trump reverse Syria decision
thehill.com/10/13/19
'"We will be putting on the floor of the Senate and the House ... a joint resolution that urges the president to undo his decision to do everything he can to protect the Kurds, to do everything that we must do to prevent ISIS terrorists from escaping, and make sure that Turkey respects existing agreements related to Syria and with the United States," Schumer said.'

The orange fecal smear let the rabid cat out of the bag, and now it's eating the face off of the baby, but maybe it's time to let him wander off to the sanction store to shop for a cat collar.

'Turkey out of Syria!' - Protests in London
news.sky.com/13 October

Climate rebels open new fronts across capital as protests escalate
theguardian.com/12 Oct 2019
'Climate protesters on Saturday intensified efforts to disrupt life in London, and targeted sites including Billingsgate fish market and Shell’s headquarters. They said police took at least 28 of their supporters into custody. That number means that more than 1,200 Extinction Rebellion activists have been arrested in London since their protests, over the government’s “failure” to act over climate change, were launched last Monday.'

Serious question: Where do "rebels" fit into the Protesters / Terrorists spectrum in Guardian-speak?

Extinction Rebellion: Meet the climate protesters blocking traffic in cities around the world
washingtonpost.com/October 7
'Demonstrators blocked roads and bridges leading to the Palace of Westminster in central London. They staged a “die-in” in Wellington, New Zealand. They obstructed a major roundabout in Berlin, parked a pink sailboat outside the prime minister’s office in Dublin and splattered fake blood on Wall Street’s “Charging Bull” sculpture.

The group’s message is that climate change is an emergency that requires drastic and immediate action.

And it has already seen some success.'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump emboldens Russia to meddle in brewing war between Kurds and Turks
nydailynews.com/Oct 14, 2019
"President Trump on Monday applauded Russia for filling the vacuum left by the U.S. after the commander-in-chief ordered troops to withdraw from northern Syria."

Disaster is unfolding in Syria as videos emerge of US allies being slaughtered and hundreds of ISIS prisoners escape during airstrikes
businessinsider.com/Oct 13, 2019
"As the Turkish invasion in northern Syria proceeds, the region appears to have descended into violent chaos, with videos emerging of Turkish proxies slaughtering US allies."

Turkish-led forces film themselves executing a Kurdish captive in Syria
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 13, 2019
"The most gruesome and explicit of the videos shows Turkish-allied Syrian fighters pumping bursts of automatic fire into the body of a bound man lying on the side of a desert road as a gunman shouts to his comrades to take his phone and film him doing the shooting. Another trembling, handcuffed man crouches on the opposite side of the road as the shooting erupts. “Kill them,” one man is heard shouting."

UK refuses to join France, Germany and Netherlands in halting arms sales to Turkey
independent.co.uk/5 hours ago
"The British government has refused to join its allies in halting arms sales to Turkey over the country’s military operation against Kurdish forces in Syria."

Youth hockey coach speaks out after receiving racist message from parent
yahoo.com/Oct 13, 2019
'“I was like, ‘What. The. Hell,’” he told Yahoo Sports Canada. Javaid received a text message from one of the parents of a child he coaches. The text message was fully loaded with racist and xenophobic ideology and began with the unoriginal line, “I’m not a racist but…”'

Columbus Day or Indigenous Peoples’ Day? Depends Where You Are
nytimes.com/Oct. 14, 2019
"In the past year, at least five states and numerous cities and towns have joined a long list of places to formally recognize Indigenous Peoples’ Day."

CO2 emissions cause lost labor productivity, research shows
phys.org/October 11, 2019
"Climate change may also be making outdoor labour more dangerous, according to a new study published in Scientific Reports. It was led by Yann Chavaillaz, a former postdoctoral researcher at Concordia and the Ouranos Institute, and Damon Matthews, professor and Concordia Research Chair in Climate Science and Sustainability in the Department of Geography, Planning and Environment."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Mike Pence refuses to comply with House document request — and suggests probe is illegitimate
rawstory.com/1 hour ago on October 15, 2019
'Matthew Morgan, a counsel for Pence, wrote in a letter to House Democrats that the “self-proclaimed impeachment inquiry” is illegitimate because Democrats have not taken a formal vote to proceed — something that is not actually required by the Constitution.'

That's an obstruction. That's an impeachment possibility.

House approves bills supporting pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong
cnn.com/Updated 6:50 PM ET, Tue October 15, 2019
"(CNN)The House of Representatives sent a clear rebuke to Beijing and reaffirmed American support for pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong on Tuesday afternoon, as police have intensified crackdowns on protesters in the semiautonomous region in recent weeks.

Lawmakers approved the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act after demonstrators in the city of 7 million took to the streets earlier this week to urge the US Congress to approve the measure. The bill, which was seen as an uncontroversial measure because of its broad bipartisan support, passed by voice vote because a recorded vote was not requested."

Are you happy now, Trump supporters?
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 14, 2019
"President Trump isn’t the first American leader to turn his back on foreign friends who were counting on U.S. assistance: President Dwight D. Eisenhower did it in Hungary in 1956; President John F. Kennedy in Cuba in 1961; and President Gerald Ford in South Vietnam in 1975. But no previous chief executive has ever sold out the United States’ allies as nonchalantly and unnecessarily as Trump has done with the Syrian Kurds.

At least with Eisenhower, Kennedy and Ford, there was a good reason they failed to come to the aid of freedom fighters: Doing so would have embroiled the United States in costly conflicts. Trump and his apologists would like to pretend that’s also the case today — that Trump pulled U.S. troops out of northern Syria to avoid a war with Turkey. But there is scant chance that Turkish troops would have invaded northern Syria if U.S. troops were standing in the way. That is why President Recep Tayyip Erdogan asked Trump to move the U.S. forces — and Trump, for reasons that remain mysterious, obliged. (Trump himself admitted in 2015 that “I have a little conflict of interest” because of two Trump Towers in Istanbul.)"

A British family on vacation accidentally drove into the U.S. They’ve spent days detained with their 3-month-old baby.
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 15, 2019 at 5:58 a.m. CDT
"The Connors family didn’t plan to be on the unmarked road."

Target Cuts Workers’ Hours after Vowing to Raise Minimum Wage to $15 By 2020
yahoo.com/October 14, 2019
"Workers at Target stores are struggling to pay their bills after the company cut the total amount of employee working hours in preparation for raising its minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020, according to a report from CNN."

Under Growing Scrutiny For Misdeeds, The Trump Administration Embraces Christian Nationalism
au.org/Oct 15, 2019 (American's United For Separation of Church and State)
"High-ranking members of the Trump administration, as well as the president himself, have gone on a tear lately about how “Christian” this administration is and how they’re defending faith. This is probably not a coincidence, given the current events around the impeachment investigation."

Angry high school students chase off members of the Westboro Baptist Church
lgbtqnation.com/October 6, 2015
"Members of the hate group were in for a surprise when they visited a Missouri high school to protest the election of a trans girl as homecoming queen."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Marine Iraq War veteran to be deported Tuesday to El Salvador
marinecorpstimes.com/1 day ago
"An Iraq War Marine veteran will be deported to El Salvador Tuesday ― a country he has not seen since he was 3 years old, his stepsister said."

For the first time, workers are paying a higher tax rate than investors and owners
washingtonpost.com/Oct. 16, 2019
"The proximate cause of the shift was Trump’s 2017 tax cut, which dramatically slashed taxes on corporate profits and estates"

The US Naval Academy Will Host Satanic Services, According to The Satanic Temple
patheos.com/October 13, 2019
"It would also be very amusing to see the USNA try to cohere a policy of selective exclusion against religious organizations that are involved with lobbying or religious liberty litigation. Most, if not all, major religious organizations would be barred from performing services. We have sent a letter to the USNA requesting that they correct the erroneous decision reported by their spokesperson. Below is our press release:"

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Turkey's president says all he wants is same powers as Hitler
telegraph.co.uk/01 Jan 2016
"In a world first, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan uses Hitler's Germany as a positive role model for his constitutional reforms"

Yep, old article, but useful when:

Trump praises Turkey's Erdoğan: 'He's a hell of a leader'
politico.com/10/17/2019 (Video)

And:

Trump praised Erdogan for a cease-fire in Syria that Turkey says is 'not a cease-fire'
businessinsider.com/4 hours ago
"President Donald Trump on Thursday praised Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for agreeing to a deal the US has characterized as a cease-fire in Syria.

Turkey promptly disputed this and said it was "not a cease-fire."

Immigrant Nobel Prize Winners Keep Leading The Way For America
forbes.com/Oct 14, 2019
"Immigrants have been awarded nearly 40% of the Nobel Prizes won by Americans in Chemistry, Medicine and Physics since 2000. In 2019, two immigrants earned Nobel Prizes, one in chemistry and one in physics. That is consistent with recent history and shows how immigrants also make important noneconomic contributions to America, according to new research from the National Foundation for American Policy (NFAP)."

Wide gaps in legal protection of LGBTQ workers, analysis finds
nbcnews.com/Oct. 15, 2019
'Rumors started circulating around the fire station in Byron, Georgia, within a year after the medical treatments began. The fire chief's once-crewcut hair was growing longer, and other physical changes were becoming noticeable. Keeping quiet was no longer an option."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Satanic Temple is against it, but Church of Satan is for it.

Yeah, somebody needs a rebranding or a PR firm. :)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djGQhjrR9MM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Rep. Elijah Cummings' First House Floor Speech
"Watch the inspirational poem that Rep. Elijah Cummings read in his first floor speech to Congress in 1996."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6ZhFIqpBAg