Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

:lol: if false reports of domestic violence becomes the the way that people swat celebrities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

That author, famous for "Dreams From My Father" will happily take the stage and lead the roast of the President.

A surprise guest like this after Our Big Dumb President agrees to attend would rule.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lol if the investigation could have been over months ago except for the tangled web of co-conspirators each desperately scrambling to rat each other out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

He's not wrong.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Imagine being Donald Trump's lawyer and seeing this first thing in the morning after logging in.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Imagine all the poo poo you have to go through to deal with a death in the family, then imagine learning that Donald Trump wants to be involved also.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Probably not a good sign when the IDF thinks you are being too cruel to Gaza.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1071469584077733890

Remember when Kelly was gonna come in turn this into a normal, respectable presidency and they just got even more fashy?

There is always a tweet:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/156829591267328000

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Surely this will be the embarrassing public screwup that brings down President Donald Trump" says increasingly nervous man for sixth time today.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Stanislaus sheriff slams CA sanctuary policies after arrest of suspected cop-killer

quote:

A day laborer with gang affiliations and past arrests for drunken driving, who was in the country illegally, was captured outside Bakersfield in the high-profile killing of a Stanislaus County police officer, officials announced Friday.

But while the arrest of Gustavo Perez Arriaga, 33, ended a statewide manhunt in Wednesday’s killing of Newman police Cpl. Ronil Singh, revelations about the suspect’s immigration status and criminal history reignited criticism of California’s sanctuary state policy.

At a news conference Friday, Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson echoed President Trump’s calls for stricter border security as he railed against the state’s sanctuary law. The policy, signed in 2017 as SB54, prohibits local law enforcement from notifying or sharing detained immigrants’ information with federal immigration agents, when they are not accused of serious criminal charges.

Christianson, a Republican, has been a vocal critic of the policy and met with President Trump at the White House in May to speak out about the bill. The sheriff appears in a YouTube video posted by the White House seated beside Trump during the meeting.

On Friday, the sheriff said, “The last thing in the world I want to do is politicize the death of officer Singh.” He then used the case to criticize California’s law and suggested it led to the deadly encounter.

“We were prohibited — law enforcement was prohibited because of sanctuary laws and that led to the encounter with officer Singh,” Christianson said at Friday’s news conference. “The outcome could have been different if law enforcement wasn’t restricted, prohibited, or had their hands tied because of political interference.”

Christianson never said when Arriaga was arrested, but records show he was picked up for one DUI in Madera County on June 5, 2014 — years before the state’s sanctuary law took effect.

Christianson said the suspect came into the United States from Mexico “some time ago” and was arrested for drunken driving near Chowchilla (Madera County). It was not clear if Madera County officials notified immigration authorities about Arriaga’s arrest or whether he was previously deported.

“We’re not here to enforce federal immigration law — that’s not our job,” Christianson said. “But law enforcement should be able to turn people over to ICE who are gang members who victimize and exploit others.”

The sheriff’s comments came a day after Trump seized on the killing in his fight over border security and demanded Congress fund a U.S.-Mexico wall. The fight has been at the center of the government shutdown that began on Dec. 22.

“There is right now a full scale manhunt going on in California for an illegal immigrant accused of shooting and killing a police officer during a traffic stop,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “Time to get tough on Border Security. Build the Wall!”

Supporters of California’s policy pushed back on Christianson’s pointed statements Friday, underscoring that the law was written to encourage cooperation between law enforcement and immigrants, who may be reluctant to come forward if they are crime victims.

“This situation is more about what this person’s state of mind was and how he got into this situation, and it has less to do with the fact that he’s not a citizen,” said Bill Hing, a San Francisco immigration attorney and University of San Francisco law professor.

Arriaga — a day laborer who worked at miscellaneous farms and dairies around the central valley — surrendered early Friday outside a house surrounded by SWAT officers on the 8200 block of Brooks Lane just south of Bakersfield in the town of Lamont (Kern County), officials said. Authorities said he was fleeing to his native Mexico when he was captured.

Arriaga allegedly shot Singh — a 33-year-old husband and father of a 5-month-old boy — during a DUI stop around 1 a.m. Wednesday in Newman. Singh, too, immigrated to the United States, but he came legally from Fiji to pursue a lifelong dream of becoming a police officer.

Singh’s younger brother Reggie and other family members stood alongside the Stanislaus County sheriff’s officials at Friday’s news conference.

“Ronil Singh was my older brother. Yes, he’s not coming back, but there’s a lot of people out there that miss him and a lot of law enforcement people that I don’t know, who worked days and nights to make this happen,” Reggie Singh said through tears. “I’d like to thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood said six people were in the home when Arriaga was arrested including some children. Deputies arrested three Bakersfield residents there on suspicion of aiding and abetting Arriaga. They are Bernabe Madrigal Castenada, 59, Erasmo Villegas, 36, and Maria Luisa Moreno, 57.

“When you use a firearm against a police officer, you can run but you cant hide,” Youngblood said. “When you attack someone doing an honorable profession, we leave no stone unturned.”

The Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department additionally arrested Arriaga’s brother, 25-year-old Adrian Virgen, and a co-worker, Erik Razo Quiroz, 27, on suspicion of aiding Arriaga’s attempted escape from the country.

“They intentionally lied to us,” Christianson said of of the latter two suspects. “They tried to divert us off the investigation. They misled us. They provided information that was false all in an attempt to protect their brother.”

Arriaga was a known associate of the Sureńo street gang, Christianson said, and was pictured on one of his various Facebook pages posing with a gun and machete. In many of the photos, he is seen wearing a long silver chain similar to one the suspect was seen wearing in grainy security photos from a convenience store the night of the killing.

Deputies brought Singh’s handcuffs down to Kern County to place on Arriaga before he was transported to jail in Stanislaus County.

Wonder if the president might have an opinion on this case.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sanguinia posted:

I hope the people in that county vote that fuckface out on his rear end. Grandstanding dickhead deserves to lose his job for using his position as a soapbox and one of his fellow officer's corpses as a loudspeaker for his personal politics. I'm so sick of Sheriffs with dreams of right wing political grift. May they all end up like that one rear end in a top hat Clarke, already forgotten after selling his soul to Trump and getting nothing in return for it.

It's Stanislaus County, they mostly agree with him.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress I hope MDW stays open until after tomorrow. :ohdear:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does his record back up any of the stuff he is saying? Either the Trump administration nominated the completely wrong guy (from their point of view) or they showed a shocking level of competence by picking someone who knows how to tell congress exactly what they want to hear.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Quorum posted:

The 2% of voters who think Hillary Clinton is actually Satanic and also voted for Hillary Clinton are my favorite people

Should be a higher number IMO.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Yeah plenty of people use GHB for fun. It's not even primarily a date rape drug.

Letterkenny has a plot arc where they sell GHB with green dye added so it can’t be used as a date rape drug.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hastings posted:

What is the loving point of this? How does this help anyone? Goddamnit, my job is big on promoting SE Asian employment and they are going to be pissed.

The point of this is racism Hastings.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
n/m

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

awesmoe posted:

paul manafort has balls of solid rock and unfortunately a brain of solid rock as well
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1095829540138553351

Mr. Manafort is constitutionally incapable of not committing crimes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

What does this even mean?

The president is not a smart fellow.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is much easier to pay more money than it is to get your idiot kid to do any kind of real work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FoolyCharged posted:

Yikes. Remind me to never get raped

Always sound advice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
These days journalism is mostly cutting & pasting from twitter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rad Russian posted:

Vast majority of my friends in NY, CT, and MA don't vote because it's literally a waste of time because of the electoral college. If it was popular vote, they'd all vote (per their words). I'm sure they are untold millions that don't vote because if you're in a solid blue state, it's a waste of time and your vote doesn't matter because the democratic nominee will always win the state.

You should tell your idiot friends that there are elections more important than president that they need to vote in.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Eating anything except rice, beans, and cabbage purchased and prepared in bulk is nonessential.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Wine clubs have been a thing for a long time, and I wouldn't put them as "subscription boxes."

What if mine involves an app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A dictionary is a historical record, not a rule book.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

VikingofRock posted:

From the New York Times: California Church Leaders Lured Homeless Into Forced Labor.

Maybe I'm naďve, but I'm still always shocked at the cruelty that supposedly godly people are capable of.

Churches exploiting Californians is a time-honored tradition.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
BOO-URNS BOO-URNS

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

Also, what is the business equivalent of the Hague?

The invisible hand of the free market.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
We got him!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

What kind of golf competition would Trump would win you think?

The kind where he is in a position to determine who wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ha! Let's see him wriggle out of this bind!