Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mezzanine posted:

RE: Puerto Rico supposedly using disaster relief money to pay of debt

I hate that he's racist and sexist and an idiot and all that, but this is the two-parter that consistently pisses me off about him

1. He just says whatever the gently caress he wants and no one with any clout ever calls him out on it.
2. Whenever a journalist, etc ever attempts to call him out on something, he either:
A. lies that he never said it (even though he's on tape or he tweeted it himself), which results in absolutely zero repercussions
B. doubles down, which also results in absolutely zero repercussions
Agreed. It's the rotten cherry on top of the dunghill sundae. Innocent people suffer after they are subjected to his terrible behavior, and then a bunch of us look around and say, "Wait, really? None of you have anything to say about this? We're just letting this slide?"

Regarding the Gallup poll, as others have noted it's just a result of survey design. The top ten issues have opposing points with support by one party or the other, but regressives just put their fingrts in their ears and pretend that climate change and the Mueller investigation don't have any significance. Watergate would have polled similarly before it broke wide open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Tibalt posted:

Well, potentially, he could testify under oath that Trump ordered him to kill or hamper the Mueller investigation.

I suspect that Democrats now controlling the House also want to make as many people in the executive branch miserable, and to use the constant threat of being pulled into an investigation to dissuade people from taking positions. It'll be a tightrope walk: too few subpoenas and progressives will be pissed, and too many will rile up and mobilize the regressive base rather than demoralize them.

I wonder how long he'll be able to keep his mouth shut if the ridicule keeps up.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

It is an utter embarrasment, getting played by the North Koreans while simultaneously dismantling an Iranian deal that was working. Why bother dealing in good faith with the US if we're going to renege on the good plans and get fooled by the bad deals?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

knox_harrington posted:

Macron should ask for the Statue of Liberty back, it's not like you guys have any use for it.

We need it, since we obviously plan on removing the copper skin and replacing it with irony.

Meanwhile, any hope of warmer relations with our long-time ally just gets more and more distant.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

mistaya posted:

Speaking of monsters:

Remember that guy that fired his shotgun at a black teen who was asking for directions? He is going to jail!

Thank God. I'm exhausted from people getting away with probation and poo poo for egregious acts. It warms my heart to see people punished appropriately every once in a while despite our current hellscape political milieu.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Please tell me Wohl is stupid enough to have filed a false report and left tracks. Please.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

I know that the reason I want it is mostly revenge for the butter-emails dog and pony show, but I so hope that the Democratic house committees find the time to drag her rear end in for a full day of under-oath testimony.

Especially if they pull as many questions as possible verbatim for maximum gently caress-you-ism.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I do hope the "aspiring actress" accusing Avenatti ends up having a financial paper trail to Wohl. yeah, I'm a shithead for even thinking this, let alone writing it down, sorry

Also, that emergency physician being gunned down has led to unexplained bannings on our closed EM Docs Facebook page, the main mod chortling that she diesnt have to explain herself, and in general has revealed what regressive shitheads people who should know better can be.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 21, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

This is a pretty lovely thing to say absent compelling evidence that she's lying my dude.
Youre right -- it was at best poorly-stated, and didn't add to the conversation meaningfully. Avenatti is savvy and slimy and probably is using the prior attempt to smear Mueller to cover his own abusive rear end. I had a post written up to clarify the difference between me hoping something and believing something, but ultimately you're right: it was a poo poo thing for me to say and I was wrong.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Thaddius the Large posted:

So, uh, did this get brought up already? Because it seems concerning

https://twitter.com/drjohnhorgan/status/1065059937485754374?s=21

Awesome, glad we've cut funding to countering domestic terrorism.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

Just openly self-sucking, huh.

Man I wish it took a selfie whenever someone sent a tweet on that account so we could K ow which tweets are whose.

Plus it would be nice see the scowl on the face of any staffer with a recently-devalued 401k forced to wrote that schlock.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Holy crap.

Man, I'm beginning to think that starting a trade war with China and viciously attacking our other trade partners wasn't such a great idea.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Kelly isn't speaking to Trump who is

I imagine a dickensian scenario where Trump just wanders the halls of the white House and everyone present just refuses to acknowledge his presence

That does seem to be how they decided to deal with the arrested Huawei CFO. "Nobody tell him, you know he'll blurt it out to Xi."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

I'm fundamentally not understanding the deal with the Huawei CFO. Aren't sanctions something that usually involves monetary penalties instead of actually arresting and trying to extradite people?
A quick Google search implied that prison time can be quite hefty.

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/enforcement/oee/penalties

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Rozencrantz and Gildenstern are Aides.

So close.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Feds.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Oh my, my first thread title!

That it comes as we see New York Times headlines like Prosecutors Say Trump Directed Illegal Payments During Campaign just makes me even happier.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
The Senate votes to overturn Trump donor disclosure rule. It is ridiculous that a bill like this barely squeaks by, and obviously even if the House picks it up next year and it passes the Senate again, there's no way they'll get the votes for an almost-certain veto. The gall of painting this as "anti-privacy" is ... well, not surprising. Mitch can go gently caress himself. Again. And again.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
More good news. Charlottesville Jury Recommends 419 Years Plus Life For Neo-Nazi Who Killed Protester.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Moatman posted:

I mean it also ain't her first rodeo. Colorectal and pancreatic cancers, both while on the bench

While true, her 25-month survival odds just went down considerably, and I'm going to guess McConnell will suddenly forget about his previous stance on an outgoing President choosing a nominnee.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I know some Democrats who handwring about her being "too radical, she's going to just scare people into voting more conservative," and I just want to loving slap them. Like, WTF, how can you not realize that an American centrist Democrat is basically a right-winger everywhere else in the world?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

https://twitter.com/ap_politics/status/1082857277084893184?s=21

The mainstream American media are collaborators and fools and they deserve to burn.

"Trump deserves blame because he has stupid demands, but what about the Democrats who refuse to capitulate with the stupid demands?!"

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

duodenum posted:

Collapsing petro states are going to be a wonderful feature of the next 100 years.

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of this development. I'm sure the US will find some means of intervention that makes everything an order of magnitude more dangerous for everyone, too.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

withak posted:

Mr. Manafort is constitutionally incapable of not committing crimes.

Maybe sometimes. I submit the thread be renamed in honor of these episodes. "Mr. Manafort: A Momentary Lapse of Treason."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Charlz Guybon posted:

At least this guy got a somewhat decent sentence

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1104880340353585152
I remember when that story first broke. (Why is an article from 2011 news, by the way?) His sentence was perhaps a tenth of what it should be. gently caress, I feel like his goddamned attorneys almost merited a short stint in prison for having the gall to suggest:

quote:

The media attention to this matter has exceeded coverage given to many and almost all capital murders, and despite protestation, he will forever be unjustly branded as the 'Kids for Cash' judge.
I mean, yeah, obviously I know it's their job to advocate strenuously for him, but anyone arguing that he shouldn't be known as the "Kids for Cash judge" forever, or that his heinous crimes don't merit extensive media coverage should receive at least one good punch to the neck.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

LordSloth posted:

Bringing together the threads of police brutality, school ‘resource’ officers, and Florida

https://twitter.com/talbertswan/status/1116820866359353344?s=21

https://www.news.meredithlmg.com/pa...167b358cb6.html

Jesus.

So does this mean it would be okay if we hired MMA fighters to body slam the officer every day in perpituity?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I was reading a book on structural failures, and one section regarded the theater that I believe was in Mexico. After construction, it sank into the spongy soil as its weight displaced water underneath. As a result, stairs had to be built to the entrance that now was below ground level. Amazingly, as the surrounding area was built up with large buildings, their mass likewise displaced water that subsequently raised the theater back up high enough that new stairs had to be constructed up from ground level to the higher entrance. Really, it is a testament to an extremely well-built foundation: had it been more poorly constructed the building would have cracked and possibly crumbled during its travels.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

What is the median, because if that's the average....

Apparently a little under $100k. (Per household, even, not per person.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Otteration posted:

House GOP members are 'absolutely disgusted and exhausted' by Trump's behavior, former GOP congressman says
cnn.com/November 29, 2019
'"Former Republican congressman Charlie Dent said Thursday some of his former colleagues in the House of Representatives have privately told him they are "absolutely disgusted and exhausted by the President's behavior."

But not enough to do something about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Otteration posted:

"If Congress fails to respond effectively, the constitutional order will be broken beyond repair"

This in Latin is the motto of the current administration.