Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Herstory Begins Now posted:

She's in the hands of literally the top counter intel people in the country. If anyone was going to flip her it would be them. Stupid thing about 15 years of torture interrogation fetishism is that it is so counter productive that people forgot that it's basically psychologically trivial to flip people if you just treat them with an almost paradoxical level of kindness and understanding

I remember when the US first started with the whole 'torture is cool and good' after 9/11 and people brought up a book written by a US officer back in WWII on interrogating nazi prisoners of war.

The entire book was about treating them well and making a human connection with them - even the complete monsters like the gestapo- and how the success rate was insanely high for getting good information out of them.

We've known what works for the better part of a century, we just don't do it because the people in power are insatiable sadists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Do you know the name of the book? I'd love to read it, and maybe get it as a holiday gift for ... certain ... family members.

I tried finding it when I initially posted. I did find a bunch of interesting stuff from Luftwaffe interrogators* - who also agree torture was useless - but couldn't find the book I was thinking of.

It's weird. In the years after 9/11, mention of the book was everywhere, but I can't find it now.

I did find this great movie on youtube which was made during the war. It was used to actually train interrogators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_SjWqF1Xc0

* The Interrogator: The Story of Hanns Joachim Scharff, Master Interrogator of the Luftwaffe looks interesting and I might just pick it up myself.

EDIT: Okay, this movie is legit fascinating. "Try to make the prisoner feel like you're his friend. The first one he's met since his capture."

They do recommend against giving the prisoner any food, water or cigarettes to "soften them up" before the interrogation. But that also leaves the interrogator to be the one who gets those things for the prisoner.

Reminds me a bit of The Wire where they just stuffed food into some of the suspects during interrogations.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 12, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
We have a black lung problem going on in Australia at the moment.

Theoretically, there's testing done of everyone at risk at regular intervals. In reality, there were about three people in the entire country who were examining the X-rays, so most were never looked at and just marked as clear.

So, right now, we have thousands of miners who a few months ago thought they were fine now having no idea if they're going to be dead in a couple of years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Gyges posted:

There's a special kind of hate instilled in the soul that comes from insisting asylum seekers, legally seeking asylum, are illegals because the administration deliberately closed all normal points of entry to asylum seekers.

Anyone still working for CPB, ICE, or at the White House are inhuman monsters and should be thoroughly screened by psychiatrists for the good of society.

The Australian government excised the entire continent of Australia from the migration zone.

So, even if you arrive here, you haven't arrived here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Since the Tories took power they've been placing people friendly to them all over the bbc. It's a shitshow.

Exactly what's been happening with the ABC in Australia.

They just can't help themselves. As much as they whine about snowflakes and safespaces, as soon as anyone criticises them, they lose their goddamn minds.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Helsing posted:

I do love these casual reminders that the office of President is directly modeled on that of King.

She should tell him to come on out, but leave the door locked so he just stands there banging on the door while everyone inside laughs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Charlz Guybon posted:

I suppose Trump's hoping that Maduro takes them hostage so he can use it as pretext for war?

Not sure how well that's going to fly with the country when he basically dared them to do it and they're busy hating him over the shutdown. It's obviously a selfmade distraction.

So, how many days before we see consulate officials killed and #but_her_emails trending?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Oracle posted:

Well Lindsay Graham’s already pledged to investigate the email investigation so whenever Congress opens back up for the latter.

Should have loving known.

Trump openly sets into motion a scheme to get consulate officials killed in Venezuela.

GOP asks, "Why did Hillary get consulate officials killed in Benghazi?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I bet this is what finally got Trump to cave.

Having one of New York's two airports shut would have caused loving chaos.

And I'm sure it would have also lead to a whole lot of other airports closing. They were all waiting for someone else to take that first step.

And now, they all know that this is all that it takes to get Trump to cave. So, if he does shut government down again in three weeks, I'm betting this time poo poo's going to fall apart a lot faster.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Every. loving. Time.

Cut taxes and it all goes to line CEO and shareholder pockets.

loving horse and sparrow bullshit.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Money laundering? No, just not possible.

Not Trump.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

quote:

Democrats have dropped their call for a new cap on interior detention beds, and the overall cap on detention beds drops from 49,057 to 40,520.

So does this mean fewer people actually in detention or just as many but with fewer resources to care for them?

I ask this only because of how loving evil ICE is.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So, what can congress do about a declaration of national emergency?

Or hasn't it ever come up before?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The only moral caging of kids is my caging of kids.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

HootTheOwl posted:

If you can't see the difference between Obama and the unaccompanied minor crisis and Trump and child separation then there's nothing more to say here.

And the amazing thing about all those unaccompanied minor is how many came to the border with people who said they were their parents yet were separated anyway by ICE.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

new friend from school posted:

This is a good question that deserves a good answer.

And good luck finding it.

ICE can't even track the kids in cages today, let alone from years ago.

How many thousands of missing kids are there now? 1500?

EDIT: I know I'm sounding more than a little blithe with this, but I'm really not. This poo poo is just terrifying and wrong and needs to stop.

There are no excuses for this. Ripping kids away from their parents has no justification, I don't care who is in power.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 10, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I have farm bought chicken do that when making chicken casserole. It's just a thing the meat can do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

I want to be surprised. I want to be angry.

I just feel hollow.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Crossposting from the cop thread:

CWB Chicago got the case files for the Smollett case

quote:

CWBChicago is posting the complete Chicago Police Department investigative file on the Jussie Smollett "hate crime" investigation that we have received in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

"Our requests for video, including bodycam, surveillance, and interrogation, was denied."

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 27, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
SNIP - actually, this is better in the cops thread.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 27, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Okay, the discussion is still going, so I'll post what I put in the cop thread here.

I read through all the files the cops released in the Smollett case.

<Link to files here via CWB Chicago who did the FoI request>

<Link to me going through all the files in the cops thread>

There's no security camera footage or interrogation tapes in the files, just what the police put in every report they filed related to the case.

In short:

Apart from the confessions of the two brothers, the cops have nothing.

There is not a single thing in those police reports, not a single piece of physical evidence, which directly links Smollett to the attack beyond some incredibly flimsy circumstantial evidence.

Seriously go read the reports for yourselves, the entire case relies on the testimony of two immigrants who were most likely threatened with deportation or just being tossed into an ICE dungeon.

The interviews with the brothers read as "[redacted] was shown a length of rope. [redacted] agreed rope was used in the crime." "[redacted] was shown bottle. [redacted] agreed bottle was used to pour bleach on Smollett"

They lead them by the hand (or dragged them) the whole way. The reports do not contain a single thing the brothers volunteered about the case which the police did not already tell them to say.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 28, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

sexpig by night posted:

Cops don't...do that. Especially when the issue they're avoiding is 'media' and not 'mob hit-men'.

It's especially cool when the cops are 100% using this to juice the bill for the 'that horrible man cost us soooo much'.

What the cops are saying is that, after these two brothers confessed to entering into a criminal conspiracy to assault Smollett, and temporarily fled the country (before returning for some reason. Why? Who knows!) they then let them not only walk free from the police station without any charges being laid against them, but also paid for hotel rooms with 24 hour security and sent officers out multiple times per day to buy meals for them.

And did so for nearly a week.

predicto posted:

But I don't know what actually happened...And neither do any of the other posters in this thread who are confidently claiming that they do know. Right now this thing is nothing but a Rorschach test, where people can believe whatever they want.

Dude, the cops released all their files on the case several days ago.

They're available for anyone to read, so why don't you.

I've read them and there was not one thing in any of the reports which constituted evidence against Smollett, beyond the testimony of the brothers.

So, when we hear about the cops going out of their way to set them up in a hotel, play Meals On Wheels for them, pay for 24hour a day security and chauffeur them around, we should definitely be looking that that and saying, 'why?'.

You're right that this is a Rorschach test. But one where the answer people are falling over themselves to give is 'I'm not racist, but' which can't be easy to say with their tongues stuck to cop boot.

Please think of the poor Chicago police force. They're had such a hard time getting convictions since their illegal black site where they tortured confessions out of innocent people was shut down, and now they've lost this one, too.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 29, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

EdithUpwards posted:

Can you stop being a racist liar

Being a wilfully ignorant bigot is forum's user Your Parents' entire gimmick.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Which, I believe, brings us back to 'Your Parents is a racist liar'.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

FoolyCharged posted:

Good gravy. TODAY is April fools day, Fox and CBS. Not yesterday.

Speak for yourself, we're already a quarter of the way through the 2nd of April, here.

Makes Fool's Day even worse - we're already over the bullshit but now have to watch every other country get all :dadjoke:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Have the Democrats tried moving him to a new diocese?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Flesh Forge posted:

The really serious spergs do their composing/editing in an external app :smug:

Oh thank god it's not just me.

It is the official position of the Australian government that the Great Barrier Reef is perfectly okay.

This has nothing to do with the fact that the Mining and Coal Power industries are the biggest financial backers of politicians and give them hugely paying board positions after they leave politics.

Tourism is actually a bigger industry than both mining (excluding steel which is still slightly larger) and the power companies, it brings in billions more dollars a year. But tourism is thousands of small businesses stretched over the entire country. Mining and power are a few dozen and they've had their act honed to a razor sharp edge for literally centuries.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 5, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Skex posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_juries_in_the_United_States

It's not complicated, she's standing on a principle that isn't supported by the law or precedent it also ignores that there are good and valid reasons that Grand Jury proceedings are secret.

I can't decide if you are just incredibly ignorant or intentionally disingenuous.

Which must be why so many countries still use grand juries.

Oh wait.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Skex posted:

A lot of countries work on the Napoleonic system of justice as well though maybe we should switch to presumption of guilt like they use?

Dude, other countries being stupid is no excuse for your country to be stupid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Skex posted:

Says the guy who literally tried to make his point by pointing out that other countries do things differently.

No, my point was that other countries do better.

In a race to the bottom, no one wins.

quote:

It's the standard that everyone is held to there for she is asking for special treatment for "reasons" she knew the consequences for her decision so she chose to be in jail and she gets to live with that consequence.

They can put her in the Ross Parks commemorative jail cell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Skex posted:

Rosa Parks was arrested for protesting that she wasn't treated the same as others, the whole point of the entire civil rights movement was that the laws of the nation were not treating people the same, that there were different rules for black people than for white people. This is not even remotely the equivalent.

The law's the law. She broke it, she had to pay the price.

That's your own argument.

Or, are you actually willing to admit that some laws and legal proceedings are unjust and need to be fought?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

mllaneza posted:

That's one of the core principles of civil disobedience. The sacrifice is part of the statement.

That's why civil disobedience exists in the first place. To protest unjust laws. You're missing the concept in a big way.

Dude, that's the argument _I'm_ making.

Skex is the one saying to throw people in a hole forever for insulting the glorious will of the Forever Forefathers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
A draft 'works' if you're just pushing bodies into a meatgrinder with a gun that fails more often than it works, but modern warfare isn't that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Crossposting this because I think it's beautiful:

Donald Trump has responded angrily to reports his businesses recorded more than $1bn in losses, explaining they did so to avoid paying tax.

Why, that sounds totally normal and legal.

Let's see what he has to say about that onTwitter:

Tax nerds at reddit are already going over his tax statements.

quote:

His claimed losses for one year between '85 and '94 was 1% of the entire country's losses.

He claimed 52.9 million in interest income in one of those years. He would have needed over 300 million to generate that interest at the same time as he was claiming giant losses.

I think the most astonishing thing about all this is that r/politics is 100% calling Trump a fraud and idiot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Randler - thanks for the effort post.

Tax law might as well be gibberish to me past a (very simple) point. That really helped put things in context.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Cythereal posted:

Also, regarding the red tide: Florida's issues with that kind of thing are mainly caused by farm runoff, especially from the huge sugarcane plantations, and the sugar industry in Florida is more powerful in Tallahassee than the tourism industry most of the time. Big agriculture is serious loving business in Florida despite not being something out-of-staters seem to associate with the state.

The tourism industry is what's kept the government at arm's length from the oil industry, at least.

We have a similar problem in Australia.

The Great Barrier Reef is dying. Hell, most of it is already dead.

The government is currently trying to built a port for a coal mine which will run straight through one of the remaining healthy sections.

Tourism creates vastly more jobs and economic benefits, but tourism operators are mostly just thousands of small businesses.

Coal is a megalith which has practised the art of the bribing politicians for centuries.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Fuligin posted:

more shoddy than shady tbh

And more than a little shonky.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

mycomancy posted:

Sherman should've burned every confederate state to the ground and every single rebel should have been executed.

For a start, we can call them what they were, "traitors", and not rebels.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I remember when I thought Republicans walking off with the gavel from a subcommittee was bad for democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Death Row Inmates Use Recent Abortion Ruling to Argue They Cannot Be Executed

quote:

Attorneys for a bloc of inmates on death row are seeking to capitalize on the Kansas Supreme Court’s April decision protecting abortion rights as enshrined in the state’s constitution, claiming that the ruling effectively outlaws the death penalty.

The crux of the inmates’ argument, filed with the court in May, lies in what their attorneys claim is the “new landscape of Kansas constitutional law” created by court’s abortion ruling.

In declaring that a woman’s right to terminate a pregnancy was constitutionally protected, the court began by citing Section 1 of the Kansas State Constitution which provides that “All men are possessed of equal and inalienable natural rights, among which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

The court interpreted Section 1 as affording “protection of the right of personal autonomy, which includes the ability to control one’s own body, to assert bodily integrity, and to exercise self-determination.”

According to the court, this right “allows a woman to make her own decisions regarding her body, health, family formation, and family life— decisions that can include whether to continue a pregnancy.”

The court further reasoned that the government “may only infringe upon the right to decide whether to continue a pregnancy if the State has a compelling interest and has narrowly tailored its actions to that interest.”

In light of the Kansas Supreme Court’s ruling, attorneys for five of the states 10 death row inmates have attempted to use the court’s reasoning to argue that the death penalty infringes upon constitutionally protected rights.

The argument relies on the notion that even a convicted killer cannot be executed because, based on the court’s logic, the death penalty would infringe upon the convict’s “inalienable right” to life.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 27, 2019