Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Teddybear posted:

Amendment 4 isn’t quite as automatic as it sounds— there’s a requirement to repay court costs, I believe, that’s going to make it tough for the very poor to afford restoration. But it will have an impact if by sheer numbers alone— we’re talking over a million newly eligible voters. Even if a fraction of them meet the new requirements and vote, that’s hundreds of thousands of new voters. Florida in 2020 is going to look different from 2018, for sure.

As a legit question, is there a plan for a charity or something so that people can donate to help defray these costs? What's an impossible amount of money for somebody who's poor isn't for me or a lot of other people, and I think getting ex-criminals (with a few caveats that the actual ammendment covers) back involved with the democratic process is a pretty good thing. It's also a help you-help me situation, since I think that adding these people to the electorate would do wonders at pushing the GOP to be more reasonable in their rhetoric.

I know there was discussion that something like 40% of black men in FL were disenfranchised, which is an amount that both unbelievable and also all to believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nemo Somen posted:

The bottom two issues are the ones with the largest split between Republicans and Democrats, so no wonder they would be at the bottom. The poll also demonstrates that Republicans are very much still the party for people who value personal wealth over other issues. Additionally, even if the Russia investigation has the lowest importance rating that could just be a signal that some people feel that it is being handled well enough.

Yup. I mean, Russia didn't get much appreciation on the right since they'd rather just ignore it. The economy and women's place in society pick up both sides, since you could list the latter as important because you were either a feminist or an MRA type who wants women out of public life. In short, I'm not convinced the data says what the tweeter wants it to say.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HelloSailorSign posted:

And apparently, up to 21% of taxpayers are going to wind up owing more at tax time because Republicans wanted tax cuts to give more people in paycheck now (in order to make people vote for them) which wound up with the IRS putting out a faulty formula to employers and so the number of employers underwithholding increased significantly.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/01/634474267/more-taxpayers-will-owe-the-irs-in-april-due-to-under-withholding-report-says

Hopefully the new group of Democrats in the House can successfully tie, "this is their tax bill" to the Republicans rather than people being dumb and going, "Dems in the House, now my taxes!!!!"

In fact it might be smart for the incoming Dem House to do absolutely nothing with taxes until after April so people can't even low info blame them.

When I looked at the withholdings change, it was pretty obvious I wasn't having enough removed from my paycheck. And I have fairly simple taxes now (standard deduction, no tricky stuff) so I expect it to be even worse for people who have anything resembling complex taxes.

And this is with me being one of the "winners" from this bill. I make enough to get decent improvements from rate changes, and don't need any of the itemizations anymore. I don't need the money and would rather have better governmental services for everyone. I can't imagine a removal of these tax changes isn't going to be incredibly popular, and will only get worse once people realize they've been had in April.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 15, 2018

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eke out posted:

OH

https://twitter.com/rachelweinerwp/status/1067204182199988224

basically manafort has forfeited all of the sentencing reduction promises the government made him. also, they absolutely could charge him with more crimes.

Is he as hosed as it sounds like he is to a non-legal person? I'd think breaking a plea would be a life-limiting mistake, but I never can tell if that is just layperson common sense or actual reality.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hahaha, old people really don't understand computers. There's zero chance that these two didn't lie about things they thought were deleted.