Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

It is truly alarming how many places elect full Democratic legislatures and executives who proceed to twiddle their thumbs and do precisely nothing. See also Illinois' new governor abandoning his plans to try and fix Illinois' lovely tax system immediately after winning election.

JB Pritzger is going to be fun to watch in the worst possible way, because the net proceeds of his time as governor are going to be -maybe- getting one or two non-charter schools named after him. he has no vision beyond maybe finding a way to make hotel workers striking illegal.

if Madigan's last words aren't "apre moi, le deluge" i'm going to be disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Condiv posted:

well at least he's for that...

him talking about "our first priority should be balancing the budget" is always a terrible sign though

illinois does genuinely have a serious budget problem, due to the fact that the state refused to pay into pension funds for sixty years straight. the solution is to get rid of our state constitutional amendment saying "no progressive taxation." JB Pritzger, billionaire, has zero interest in fixing this problem in the only way he can, because that means the solution will come out of him and his friends' pockets.

the alternate, conservative solution to this problem is to tell pensionholders they get to eat poo poo and will get nothing.

unsurprisingly this is quite popular with JB Pritzger, Non-Pension-Haver.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Stickman posted:

Are there any legal pathways to hold state governments to pension promises? Or is precedent simply "you're hosed if the state decides to change the rules"?

an anecdote.

once upon a time, there was an airfield just south of Soldier Field, where the Bears play. it was small. it was mostly used by rich hobbyists. it was called Miegs Field. an agreement was reached in 2001 to have it finally closed down in 2026.

in 2003, outgoing mayor Richard Daley had two giant Xs bulldozed into the middle of the runway overnight. no notices were filed to any outside authorities. several planes were trapped onsite. that morning he declared the airfield closed. the site was then turned into a prairie grass preserve. Maggie Daley liked prairies, and Daley ended up retiring within walking distance of the site.

nobody suffered legal consequences for this.

nobody in the state of Illinois expects legal challenges to amount to much, when push comes to shove.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I have so many questions I know I will never get real answers to. :stare:

the people who were pissed were mostly the aforementioned rich hobbyists, and the preserve was quite nice. Rahm's turning it into a concert venue on the lakefront, which is -also- quite nice. as autocratic gestures flagrantly in defiance of the rule of law go, it's definitely one of the better ones!

but hoo boy, if you think anyone in the state of Illinois expects a legal challenge to get the state government to fulfill its obligations is going to pan out, you have another thing coming

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

oh goody, Benjy "look conspiring with Kavanaugh to circumvent the rule of law was totally okay when we were doing it for Bush" Wittes is back on twitter.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

good to see that whether the threat is Medicare for All or the dire machinations of George Soros, the Pod Save America boys are proud of their association with the people trying as hard as they can to tamp down the rising extremism of the left

as for the right, well. meh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Literally, yes. I'm not talking some :decorum: poo poo. The goal of this model is to get people to stop believing in the value of civil society and turn inward and to the edges, because that makes them very easy marks for manipulation and domination. The desired belief system is "every politican is corrupt, all the news is fake, everyone with different beliefs is a moron, a shill or a subhuman other, and nothing I can do will make any difference- might as well just keep my head down and look out for number one".

that this has been the desired end state for both American political parties since approximately the late seventies complicates matters somewhat.

it turns out an electorate that has been taught that it should not expect the people it votes for to provide them anything is a really attractive idea, to elected officials.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Those don't mean what you think they do. It's not a ranking.

though you could make a decent argument for the US now being a third-world country politically, in that all internal political activity is necessarily based around the terror of what would happen if you pissed off the President of the United States.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, but it did result in one of the most comically fragmented political parties I've ever seen during an election.

it is always adorable to see someone who was around for the 2016 primary, and the 2016 primary only. remember that gay muslim communist Obama, from 2008? and how 25% of his primary opponent's supporters ended up voting for the Republican?

DWS gets a lot of poo poo for the openly corrupt way she did her job, but she did her job. the 2016 primary was, by primary standards, incredibly sedate, decorous, and measured, leading to a unified party under the selected candidate.

then she lost and the neatly smoothed-over fractures came back with a vengeance.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Last I checked, Obama and Hillary stopped going at each other after the primary. I was still seeing Bernie bros people suck and other mentions of the guy all the way to the presidential vote proper.

Muckraking happens in primaries, but if it hits the point of burning bridges the candidates are literally shooting themselves in the foot.

That said, the bit that started all of this was pretty tame so I'm being a bit of an idiot whose lost the point now.

you did not follow the 2008 election. this is not a question. this is a statement of fact.

a full twenty-five percent of Clinton supporters voted Republican in response to losing the primary to someone they had been assured (by forces both within and without the Clinton campaign) was a gay communist muslim out to bring Sharia Law to the US, where he had not even been born!?!?!!??

they had a name for the people in question. the PUMAs. after their screams in the runup to the convention, "Party Unity My rear end." most of them ended up being ride-or-die for Sarah Palin, because dammit, they were going to show those uppity know-nothing Obama Boys their PLACE.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

FBI tactical teams have higher standards than the average local police department.

shooting a guy you burn crosses with after work is an awkward experience for all involved. now, an urban-style kid with a toy on a playground, on the other hand. gotta kinetically assess the hell out of that tactical scenario.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

now THAT'S a fun case of whoever wins we lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Zipperelli. posted:

Why? Did something happen that I missed?

you know how the lovely Jack Ryan show has him go to venezuela, and the venezuelans blow up a US senator's motorcade while he's in the country, in an assassination so blatant the US has no choice but to treat it as an act of war

we just did that to arguably the #1 guy in the Iranian military, while he was at the Baghdad airport