Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/1062098920610938880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh it's one of those "Terrible person makes a valid point" moments. I hate those.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I was looking for excelsior tagged stuff on Twitter and there's quite a lot you'd expect there (the poor football team barely rates mention right now for some reason), but also a lot of weird stuff like:
- Vietnam's largest newspaper
- The official nVidia GT account
- The Richard Dawkins Foundation
- GameStop
- NASA
- The Golden Globe Awards
- TheRealElvira

Either the guy touched very diverse array of lives, or the tweeter bots are just following a wave I'm not sure.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
NASA, Gamestop, and Nvidia are crowded with nerds who probably have shelves filled with comic books, not to mention the games based on Marvel characters and that at least one person must've joined a space program after reading some cosmic stories. Golden Globes probably based on some adaptations. Richard Dawkins and Elvira are stumping me.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Samuringa posted:

Richard Dawkins and Elvira are stumping me.

Elvira is a regular on the con circuit. I'd be amazed if she didn't know him personally.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Elvira was actually the name of the actress? I haven't watched that movie in ages.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Samuringa posted:

Elvira was actually the name of the actress? I haven't watched that movie in ages.

It's a stage-name of course but yeah, she hosted a late-night movie thing on LA TV for years as the character and parlayed that into a pretty long cult career.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

joehonkie posted:

Elvira is a regular on the con circuit. I'd be amazed if she didn't know him personally.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Her name is Cassandra Petersen but everyone knows her as Elvira. And yeah, she actually posted a bunch of pictures of them together too:

https://twitter.com/TheRealElvira/status/1062063536644354048

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Let's not forgot he even brought us anime.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I legit would not be the person I am today without Stan Lee and Marvel Comics, and I don't think I'm the only person in this thread who can say that.

Yesterday was my birthday, and my daughter's daycare was closed, so I spent the day with her. We went out on a little daddy/daughter adventure (read: Five Guys & Barnes and Noble), and in the middle of it my wife called and asked if I'd looked at Facebook in the last hour. She wanted to be the one to tell me so she could soften the blow.

It's a kick, all right, but I find that I'm not sad, or not only sad. Mostly, I'm just goddamn grateful for the contribution he made to this world, and to my life.

God bless that wonderful, crazy old man.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I was thinking it'd be nice to just collect every single con style photo with Stan Lee and put them in one place. Omitted from my list above were tonnes of random people just linking their con photos; I think that would have a powerful effect to see them all in place, maybe made up onto one of those photo mosiacs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Scaramouche posted:

I think that would have a powerful effect to see them all in place, maybe made up onto one of those photo mosiacs.
It's either going to be superimposed against a giant version of his face, or a giant MCU/Marvel Comics character splash isnt it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is a great interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjDfBKcGtbM

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NYT posted an interview they did with Stan in 2015. It's short and probably nothing new, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQGKjlTbIWg

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Sorry if this is old news, but I was nosing around and found this:

https://www.inverse.com/article/30919-marvel-stan-lee-cameos-uatu-mcu-avengers

In a nutshell, Marvel honcho Kevin Feige confirmed the fan theory that the movie version of Lee is the Watcher.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A bit of cosmic timing with the last issue of Mister Miracle coming out today with it's last appearance of Stan Lee pastiche, Funky Flashman.

(note what I'm pretty sure is Mister Miracle's baby trying to say "excelsior.")

Here are a couple of articles on the character:
http://wmqcomics.com/news/carseatcovers041818/
https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/08/02/mister-miracle-10-stan-lee-jack-kirby-fantastic-four/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

So I guess I need to share my Stan Lee story. I'm sure that any comic book nerd who has been to enough conventions has one like this, but here's mine.

I met Lee around 1991 at a comic book convention in Fort Lauderdale. This was when Marvel 2099 was starting up and Lee wrote (okay, I'm not really sure if he actually did, but he had the credit) the first issue of justifiably forgotten Ravage 2099. In person Stan the Man was exactly the persona he presented. I know at this point that it was basically a character he was doing but he was there being Stan Lee for the fans.

So after waiting in line almost an hour to meet him, I've got my copy of Ravage 2099 #1 for him to sign and I said something like, "I know from your Bullpen pages that you're working in Hollywood to get Marvel movies made. Could there be a Dr. Strange movie?"

And Stan replied, "You betcha! That's one I want to see, too! And I'm working on something right now for it!"

Oddly enough, though it took about 25 years for Stan to make good on that statement to me, I don't think he was lying either. Full Moon video was trying to make a Dr. Strange movie at the time though after a falling out they released it as "Doctor Mordrid".

Basically, Stan Lee was as great in person as you'd think.

It occurred to me that after this year the last person of Marvel's 1961 crew left is Larry Lieber. It's been a bad year for early silver age creators.

Dude, I was there too, except I'm 99% sure it was 1992 because I bought the first-ever Cable action figure there.

Do you remember a large Q&A session with Stan? I was 13 or 14, and I asked him what was he thinking about when he created the X- Men. He thought about it and said "I must have been drunk!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

A bit of cosmic timing with the last issue of Mister Miracle coming out today with it's last appearance of Stan Lee pastiche, Funky Flashman.

(note what I'm pretty sure is Mister Miracle's baby trying to say "excelsior.")

Here are a couple of articles on the character:
http://wmqcomics.com/news/carseatcovers041818/
https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/08/02/mister-miracle-10-stan-lee-jack-kirby-fantastic-four/

Jack said "You have nothing to reproach yourself about" to Stan on the radio while wishing him a happy birthday in the 80's (Jack called in, it's in that Untold Marvel book). That's a little creepy and weird.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm gonna miss that voice the most. As a kid I watched the Hulk cartoon he narrated. Such enthusiasm he threw into his voiceovers!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A dude I work with said that his favorite character that Lee created was the Punisher and i am not proud of the mix of profanity and nerd trivia that escaped my lungs at maximum volume.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rhyno posted:

A dude I work with said that his favorite character that Lee created was the Punisher and i am not proud of the mix of profanity and nerd trivia that escaped my lungs at maximum volume.

I am.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can't believe he chose Punisher over Stripperella!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Dude, I was there too, except I'm 99% sure it was 1992 because I bought the first-ever Cable action figure there.

Do you remember a large Q&A session with Stan? I was 13 or 14, and I asked him what was he thinking about when he created the X- Men. He thought about it and said "I must have been drunk!"

I didn't get to go to the panel since that was the first show where I was selling comics!

Wanted to post some great Lee stuff so it wasn't just about myself and beside this:

I wound up rereading FF #51 again which is probably the best writing Stan did in the 1960's but there's no easy moment to pull out. Pretend I just grabbed a panel of Ben feeling sorry for himself and posted it here.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ImpAtom posted:

Let's not forgot he even brought us anime.

Heck he's indirectly responsible for Super Sentai being a thing thanks to the licensing deal Marvel did with Toei back in the late 70's which lead to the Japanese Spider-Man show, which in turn inspired Toei to add a Giant Robot to Battle Fever J(which originated as a "Captain Japan" concept), indeed that series(and the two series following it; Denjiman and Sun Vulcan) had a joint copyright between the two companies because of that

Notably Stan had wanted to try to bring Super Sentai to the US during the early 80's

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

Heck he's indirectly responsible for Super Sentai being a thing thanks to the licensing deal Marvel did with Toei back in the late 70's which lead to the Japanese Spider-Man show, which in turn inspired Toei to add a Giant Robot to Battle Fever J(which originated as a "Captain Japan" concept), indeed that series(and the two series following it; Denjiman and Sun Vulcan) had a joint copyright between the two companies because of that

Notably Stan had wanted to try to bring Super Sentai to the US during the early 80's

Except that Sentai had already been around for like three years before that

Unless youre making the argument for battle fever j as the first because of it being the first to use the Super Sentai branding in which case imagine the longest raspberry

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Congratulations go to Vox for waiting almost 5 days to run the expected take:

The popular refrain is that without Lee, Marvel’s superheroes would never have become such beloved fixtures of popular culture. But in the comic book industry there’s a more tempered version of that refrain: that Lee, for a long time, took most of the credit and usually left very little to spare for the co-creators, partners, and artists he worked with along the way.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

You know they had that written when the news broke and we're just waiting to release it.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

“When you write good stories and do good artwork, don’t I sign it?” is a pretty great burn, though. Stan’s branding was so important that his credit always came first even on the books that he was only editing. Seeing that always bothers me a little in a way that the “Stan Lee Presents” banners Marvel had later on don’t, even though they’re functionally the same thing.

Edit: I liked this interview Sean Howe posted. It has a very :smith: moment at the beginning where Stan talks about quitting a gig where he wrote advance obituaries because it was too depressing to write about living people in the past tense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=areUni1_j9U

Servoret fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 15, 2018

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

'Nuff said.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Madkal posted:

You know they had that written when the news broke and we're just waiting to release it.

The 2016/2/23 in the URL suggests otherwise.

• Locked thread