Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I guess I need to share my Stan Lee story. I'm sure that any comic book nerd who has been to enough conventions has one like this, but here's mine.

I met Lee around 1991 at a comic book convention in Fort Lauderdale. This was when Marvel 2099 was starting up and Lee wrote (okay, I'm not really sure if he actually did, but he had the credit) the first issue of justifiably forgotten Ravage 2099. In person Stan the Man was exactly the persona he presented. I know at this point that it was basically a character he was doing but he was there being Stan Lee for the fans.

So after waiting in line almost an hour to meet him, I've got my copy of Ravage 2099 #1 for him to sign and I said something like, "I know from your Bullpen pages that you're working in Hollywood to get Marvel movies made. Could there be a Dr. Strange movie?"

And Stan replied, "You betcha! That's one I want to see, too! And I'm working on something right now for it!"

Oddly enough, though it took about 25 years for Stan to make good on that statement to me, I don't think he was lying either. Full Moon video was trying to make a Dr. Strange movie at the time though after a falling out they released it as "Doctor Mordrid".

Basically, Stan Lee was as great in person as you'd think.

It occurred to me that after this year the last person of Marvel's 1961 crew left is Larry Lieber. It's been a bad year for early silver age creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Spider-Man really was Stan's best writing work in my opinion. He wrote the first one hundred consecutive issues, and they hold up so much better than the very early runs of the other heroes from that era. Not just hold up, they're grand. Hell, writing one hundred issues of anything is a feat by itself, but this was while he was simultaneously writing, editing, and co-creating how many other funny books? The boy was a goddamn machine in the '60s.

Fantastic Four is the better overall work, but for just Lee it absolutely is Spider-Man.

Hakkesshu posted:

I was gonna ask how much actual comics writing he had done after the 70s but if I'm reading this right he had been writing newspaper Spider-Man for over 40 years? Is that true?

He was occasionally credited with an issue here or there. Ravage 2099 #1 I mentioned above. There was a surprisingly decent Daredevil story in the 90's that he did, too. A lot of what he did after founding Stan Lee Entertainment as a separate thing from Marvel is just pitch odd ideas that credit him as "creator" and then fizzle out.

drat, I had to rewrite my sentences to be past tense. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Dude, I was there too, except I'm 99% sure it was 1992 because I bought the first-ever Cable action figure there.

Do you remember a large Q&A session with Stan? I was 13 or 14, and I asked him what was he thinking about when he created the X- Men. He thought about it and said "I must have been drunk!"

I didn't get to go to the panel since that was the first show where I was selling comics!

Wanted to post some great Lee stuff so it wasn't just about myself and beside this:

I wound up rereading FF #51 again which is probably the best writing Stan did in the 1960's but there's no easy moment to pull out. Pretend I just grabbed a panel of Ben feeling sorry for himself and posted it here.

• Locked thread