Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Stan's the definition of the American Dream, in some ways. Teenager gets a a part-time job when he's like, 16. Works his way up the ranks, benefits from nepotism and good timing, uses his charisma, talent and cunning to end up running the drat company, and becomes an icon in the industry.

Him and Jagger used to have a contest to see who could get with more ladies, last Stan checked, he was way ahead.

Let's also remember him for being giving some absolutely savage punches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

resurgam40 posted:

The greatness of this clip aside, I think it highlights just how much the entire culture of comics changed because of Lee's involvement. I'm not really up on my comics history, but... did anyone think about the way superheroes changed their clothes before he came along? From the smattering of goldenage DC I've read, no one really seemed to; Batman was a millionaire who had a secret cave and a legion of people to run interference and answer awkward questions, and Superman was Superman. Nobody thought about how superheroes maintained their secret identities, they just did... but then along came Spider-man, who never actually stopped being Peter Parker when he put on the mask. Being neither a rich dilettante, a CEO, or a god, he can't actually shirk his responsibilities as a student, so when he goes superheroing, everyone wonders where Peter is- his peers think he's standoffish, potential employers think he's lazy or shiftless, and loved ones just wonder where he is. There is a great sacrifice to being a hero that Spider-man has to make, and he wanted absolutely no part of it until it was shown to him how ignoring crime affected him personally. What once seemed like a legend is rapidly brought down to earth... I wonder if anyone would have thought about the "being human" part of superhuman if he had not raised these points in this comic.

I have no personal anecdotes to share, I only saw Stan from afar a couple of times, at conventions and such. His enthusiasm for the art was clear, and he just came off as this charming, delightful old man... Rest beyond pain.

There's a very brief moment at 1:26 that also shows they forgot this. He asks if the character has a secret identity or who he is when he's not wearing his suit, what he does when he's not super-heroing and they just fumble going "Do you think he ever takes off the suit" and carry on with drawing that mess.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
NASA, Gamestop, and Nvidia are crowded with nerds who probably have shelves filled with comic books, not to mention the games based on Marvel characters and that at least one person must've joined a space program after reading some cosmic stories. Golden Globes probably based on some adaptations. Richard Dawkins and Elvira are stumping me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Elvira was actually the name of the actress? I haven't watched that movie in ages.

• Locked thread